• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love PC Gaming

manlisten

I'll admit that I double dipped on GTA V back in the day, but I don't think I was ready for the difference between the PS3 and PC version. Shit was life changing, man. šŸ„¹ Have found it hard to go back to consoles since, although I did enjoy a handful of exclusives on the PS4.

Buggy Loop

Outside of a few bad ports that typically get fixed or "OK" after a few patches, which is not a problem really for me as i rarely buy day 1, there's many that are perfect or at the very least, better than to look like it upscaled from 480p source image at 30fps cap.

Also peoples forget just how deep the rabbit hole goes in PC for genres that consoles barely touch

You sim? PC

And having access to virtually all PC game inputs in sims makes it incomparable for rigs. You just can't have that level of input on consoles. Peoples are making buttkickers/pedal feedback/6 DOF motion rigs, etc. You think of an input? There's an output on PC that can give feedback.

Mods? PC

How does a 2004 game in sim rally stays relevant to the community all this time?

Mods

Why are peoples still installing Falcon 4.0 (1998) and find it still one of the best flight sim around?

Mods

Some of the biggest games today with the most concurrent players started as mods, in fact

Counter-strike (started as mod of Half-Life)
Dota (Started as mod of Warcraft III)
Team Fortress (started as mod of Quake)

have so much concurrent players daily on Steam that most publishers must be scratching their heads in disbelief. The kind of attachment they would dream of having and HAVE been trying to get with no success.

Single player goodness :

Black Mesa (started as mod of Half-Life 2)
Stalker totally different experience from original releases, also Anomaly mod
Patching of fucked up/unfinished games like KOTOR 2, Vampire the masquerade bloodlines
Skywind (skyrim mod)
Enderal Forgotten Stories (Skyrim mod)
Brutal Doom (Doom mod)
The Dark mod (Doom 3 mod)
Garry's mod (Half-Life mod)
Neo-tokyo (Half-Life mod)
The Nameless mod (Deus Ex mod)

Just look at this Half Life 2 mod that releases this year

Look at the user score (and itā€™s free). Go play it, it's so good.

PC is
michael fassbender perfection GIF

small_law

I was always a console gamer until I started building PCs 6 or 7 years ago. When it's all configured right and humming along it's a special thing.

I'm playing Starfield on PC right now. The performance ain't great, but I have a 3090 and I'm brute forcing 4K 60 FPS. Just had to turn down shadows. I tried playing it on my Series X at 30 FPS and I just can't do that anymore.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Once I got back into PC gaming in 2013 it was amazing even better than I remember from the DOS and early Windows days. 1080P and 60 fps was just so cool. I had a comfy couch setup from day 1 and the first game I played was Lords of Shadow maxed out.

It was hard to break the console addiction and I was still buying consoles but not really using them. But at this point I think I am fine with PC only even if it means missing out on some exclusives. You cant play everything.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

While I appreciate the limitless options and modding potential of PC, for me it really comes down to the right tool for the right job. PC is necessary for the demands of FPS and RTS games because they need a lot of power and are best played at a desk. While I have the opportunity to use that same PC to play a third person action game or a platformer with a controller, and sometimes will do it on TV, consoles are just better at grabbing a gamepad, flopping on the couch and playing the game.
Got a couch in the study and a big TV hooked into one of the many ports on my GPU. Flopping whenever. Consoles are becoming less and less relevant to me personally.

BlackTron

Got a couch in the study and a big TV hooked into one of the many ports on my GPU. Flopping whenever. Consoles are becoming less and less relevant to me personally.

Like I said, I have the same PC I use at a desk hooked into TV and do use it with a controller. That gives me the authenticity to say consoles are better at this. If your vibe at that moment is laziness, as in flopping down, chances are you don't want to have to task out of the game to correct something. Which happens to me >50% of the time. As soon as I need an orbit of 3 hardware around me to be sure I won't have to get up and go to my desk, fuck this. If I just wanted to play some platformer I'm better off grabbing a controller, pressing Power, and being in my game.

This isn't a "consoles beat PCs post", it's a "yeah PCs are master race but don't forget consoles have their purpose" post.

Couldn't agree more. I switched back to PC gaming about 3 months ago and I will never go back.

I've configured my PC to be a console-like experience, so when I turn it on I'm greeted with a really nice console-friendly UI:

53180524433_83d9724c02_o.png

Super couch friendly setup. I can turn on my PC with my Xbox controller, it loads up directly to this UI, and off I go.

It's still a trip to see PS5, Xbox, and Switch games all under one UI. Love it.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Its compelling but mostly for library transfer and the open nature of it.
No haptic support on dualsense is a major consideration for myself, its night and day when you go from PS5 games to PC.Sure higher frames and image quality but the core experience of booting out of rest mode, continuing your save instantly with no windows is actually amazing.

Not to mention the haptics and triggers are not just a gimmick, even the in controller speaker adds a lot to the feel of playing the game, the tactile feedback and the immersion of the DS is incredible and adds a hell of a lot to the feeling and response from the game.

Some games support some of the DS features on PC but not many third party do where most do implement it on PS5. I hope in the future sony release a wireless dongle for it to be supported fully natively. Please no one mention the shit show app which is DSX.
Haptics on the dualsense work wirelessly now! It was fixed a few weeks ago and works wonderfully with R&C & Returnal.

We are really lucky to live in this slice of time where Gabe runs Valve so they aren't squeezing every last drop out of us with ads, tiered memberships, selling data, etc. Turns out we'll happily squeeze ourselves under the right conditions.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

I am right there with you. I bought the 360, PS4 Pro, One X all day one. Didn't even buy a console this gen.

BlackTron

Couldn't agree more. I switched back to PC gaming about 3 months ago and I will never go back.

I've configured my PC to be a console-like experience, so when I turn it on I'm greeted with a really nice console-friendly UI:

53180524433_83d9724c02_o.png

It's still a trip to see PS5, Xbox, and Switch games all under one UI. Love it.

Are all those games really working well together in real life use? Switch games without glitches caveats and such? If you actually got it all to work on the same system, without a driver update killing some of your work every time, that's magical.

Hugare

Backwards compatibility is the main thing, for me

But man, the amount of tinkering to have a good time is just absurd

My laptop is connected to my 1080p monitor and 4K TV. So in order to switch between them easily (and at the correct resolution) I had to install Monitor Proffile Switcher (great app btw) and make 2 profiles

Steam Big Picture is useless, 'cause each game has their own launcher that you'll have to do something with your mouse.

Wanna play AC Unity? Ubi Launcher. Wanna play Max Payne 3? Rockstar Launcher. Wanna play Cyberpunk? You guessed, CDPR launcher. Same with Witcher 3.

It's so bothersome that I cracked AC Unity in order to skip the launcher, despite owning it legally

Same with emulators. You may add a shortcut to your Steam library, but its going to open in another window in your desktop. And you have to select the game with your mouse.

To close the emulator if you are in fullscreen? Only with a keyboard. Or making a "Alt+F4" shortcut in your controller.

Its absolutely necessary to have a mouse on my couch at all times

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I was gonna post a reply but I need to uninstall a windows update, change my fan curve, over clock my cpu and under volt my gpu and uninstall the lastest nvidia drivers that are causing blue screens. Then I need to change a .ini file to see if I can get 60fps instead of 59fps.

Once Iā€™ve rolled back and signed back into windows and proved its me by sending a code to my phone Iā€™ll let you know how it goes about how good pc gaming is.

Last edited:
Are all those games really working well together in real life use? Switch games without glitches caveats and such? If you actually got it all to work on the same system, without a driver update killing some of your work every time, that's magical.

It works amazingly well, honestly. There was a bit of work to get there but everything works pretty flawlessly. Switch games at 4k, oftentimes 60fps, are glorious.

I was gonna post a reply but I need to uninstall a windows update, change my fan curve, over clock my cpu and under volt my gpu and uninstall the lastest nvidia drivers that are causing blue screens. Then I need to change a .ini file to see if I can get 60fps instead of 59fps.

Once Iā€™ve rolled back and signed back into windows and proved its me by sending a code to my phone Iā€™ll let you know how it goes about how good pc gaming is.

me reading this post

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

nani17

are in a big trouble
Infinite backwards compatibility.
No payment to play online
Amazing modding community.
Emulation and some much more.

I also have a ps5 and switch but find myself playing the pc more than anything

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I guess I could squeeze more out of my system because I only updated my drivers and playing Starfield in ultrawide and frames are anywhere between 60 in town and fighting to 140+ at ultra settings

cM7wbyZ.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Was all over of gaming in 2010, and hats off to the hobby. If you know what youā€™re doing it makes consoles look like kids toys, the skyā€™s the limits for pc gaming.

BlackTron

me reading this post

I've been looking for an excuse to sell my Series X because gaming laptop is so similar. Main reason I got Series X was easy Halo at steady 120hz with no hassles when gfx card prices were high.

Fire up Halo on laptop. Says my drivers are outdated. What? Links me to website. Site says latest drivers cause a glitch that can crash the game, recommends rolling back.

I can deal with all this shit and roll back my drivers that might have ramifications for all my other games or just keep using the console. Or how about just stop playing Halo, Microsoft

DYdNIip.gif

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad

Still better than 30 fps.

I've been looking for an excuse to sell my Series X because gaming laptop is so similar. Main reason I got Series X was easy Halo at steady 120hz with no hassles when gfx card prices were high.

Fire up Halo on laptop. Says my drivers are outdated. What? Links me to website. Site says latest drivers cause a glitch that can crash the game, recommends rolling back.

I can deal with all this shit and roll back my drivers that might have ramifications for all my other games or just keep using the console. Or how about just stop playing Halo, Microsoft

DYdNIip.gif

Yeah, I'll be the first to say that if you're averse to tinkering/messing around to get things going and you just want things to work out of the box, then consoles are still the way to go.

I've always been a tinkerer so the transition to PC gaming has been a lot of fun for me.

Buggy Loop

Uh Huh Sure GIF

Try harder

BlackTron

Yeah, I'll be the first to say that if you're averse to tinkering/messing around to get things going and you just want things to work out of the box, then consoles are still the way to go.

I've always been a tinkerer so the transition to PC gaming has been a lot of fun for me.

I don't mind tinkering, but once its set up, I want it to work for good and not be at the mercy of one update messing everything. It's almost like we need system/driver profiles locked in on a per-game basis, the same way you will have an entire copy of an emulator set up for one game. Who wants to customize one game, which results in breaking their config for 17 other games.

octiny

Banned

Sounds like you just suck at computing šŸ¤­

BlackTron

I'm trying to make a point but I don't wanna be lumped in with this guy

violence

The PS5 was useful till I could upgrade my PC. Console is still good for casual playing/people. I felt like I was spending more time playing the game then tinkering. Thereā€™s something to be said about that, but now that I upgraded my PC and itā€™s hooked up to my Oled TV. Well.. of course Iā€™m gonna play this way.

Last edited:
I don't mind tinkering, but once its set up, I want it to work for good and not be at the mercy of one update messing everything. It's almost like we need system/driver profiles locked in on a per-game basis, the same way you will have an entire copy of an emulator set up for one game. Who wants to customize one game, which results in breaking their config for 17 other games.

I don't think I've ever had a single instance of one update messing up everything, but I'm sorry for your bad luck

BlackTron

I don't think I've ever had a single instance of one update messing up everything, but I'm sorry for your bad luck

Not everything, just something. I'm sensitive to even one glitchy texture, I hate going through all that trouble to sort everything, only to have the equilibrium impurified. So if a console offers a comparable experience for a given game, I'll usually prefer it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Like some of you, I graduated from the console to the master race few years ago after getting the taste of high fidelity gaming on PC.

And after witnessing what happened for the past years, I canā€™t say I am surprise to see I am right for joining the winning side. Now, I can just play both Playstation PC and Xbox games on my Steam Deck in bed. Canā€™t do so anywhere else

Schmendrick

I just ordered Samsung`s Neo G9 57" Monitor for my PC, meanwhile I haven`t even booted up my PS5 since I finished GoW:R.
With Sony`s games now also releasing on PC sooner or later this will have been my last console, too.

Last edited:

MikeM

I have a 5600/7900xt PC and really enjoy it. In saying that tho, PC is far from perfect (nothing ever is). It has become my main platform.

Still very much enjoy firing up my PS5 with that sweet native Dualsense goodness.

K2D

Banned
+ Total Freedom (including braking software, hardware or both by your own hands)
- It just works (it doesn't though)

I just got myself what I believe to be a ā€œvalue first"-laptop, so I'll be enjoying maxing out old games, modding old games, and enjoying the fruits of emulation.

I've always done 75-100 percent of my gaming on consoles though. Time and lack of anxiety is more valued than anything imo.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Wait and get shoddy ports like TLOU part 1.

PC gaming isn't doing so great these days, shoddy ports are commonplace.

On the Xbox side, some titles are worse on PC than on console. Forza Horizon 5 for example, loads rapidly on my Xbox Series S. On the Xbox app version on PC, it has forced unskippable splash screens that the Xbox version doesn't, and has additional looooooong delays where it sits there doing nothing. End result, it takes a few minutes to load even off an nvme drive. Even the credits screen is a 720p PNG (I found the file) which is just stretched to fill your screen. At least the Xbox version has a native 1080p file for that. What year is it?

Oh, also on the Xbox app, syncing cloud saves can take anything up to an hour. On Xbox it's quick. On the same internet connection. Why? Ask Microsoft, nobody knows. Been like this since forever.

Another example, I noticed a game I've overlooked, Plague Tale Innocence is cheap on Steam right now and has a demo. I tried it yesterday and it stuttered occasionally. No reason to, my system can run it easily. Googled, it's a common problem, never fixed. This is the sort of BS that PC gamers have to deal with frequently.
TLOU1 today is already worth over the PS5 version with better almost everything especially freaking mouse+kb gameplay.

FH5 ultra wide, 120+ fps with minimum input lag, almost perfect IQ and any controller/wheel, mods, etc is already light years better on PC.

Amost the same for Plague Tale as some occasionally hiccups are insignificant.

Here's a stutter shader one of us gif for you OP

Less than 0,00000001% of the game library have this problem today.

Same with emulators. You may add a shortcut to your Steam library, but its going to open in another window in your desktop. And you have to select the game with your mouse.
There are ways to set shortcuts to open the games in emulators. Not sure if works for every emulator though.

Last edited:

hlm666

You should be able to get that setup without needing a mouse and keyboard, I've got mame (arcade), retroarch (snes/megadrive cores), fs-uae (amiga) and a taitotypex emulators all running fine on a box and never need the keyboard/mouse. I've got 2 builds, one using hyperspin and a newer build using launchbox, both can be launched from steam and gracefully exit back to steam once quit. Most emulators also have command line options that should let you launch straight into the game if you don't require a frontend and only have a few games you want to add to steam.

Hugare

You should be able to get that setup without needing a mouse and keyboard, I've got mame (arcade), retroarch (snes/megadrive cores), fs-uae (amiga) and a taitotypex emulators all running fine on a box and never need the keyboard/mouse. I've got 2 builds, one using hyperspin and a newer build using launchbox, both can be launched from steam and gracefully exit back to steam once quit. Most emulators also have command line options that should let you launch straight into the game if you don't require a frontend and only have a few games you want to add to steam.
I've been searching about these launchers (launchbox and etc.). Will try some later.

Tho the only emulators I use Dolphin/CEMU and Ruijinx, dont know if they are supported. Old consoles I usually emulate on my 3DS.

Elysium44

Banned
TLOU1 today is already worth over the PS5 version with better almost everything especially freaking mouse+kb gameplay.

FH5 ultra wide, 120+ fps with minimum input lag, almost perfect IQ and any controller/wheel, mods, etc is already light years better on PC.

Amost the same for Plague Tale as some occasionally hiccups are insignificant.

Less than 0,00000001% of the game library have this problem today.

I much prefer playing 3rd person games with a game pad anyway but I agree it's a benefit it lets you use a mouse if you want to.

I am sensitive to stutters, they break my immersion in a game. I have TLOU Remastered on a base PS4 which looks fantastic and runs flawlessly at all times anyway which is the preferred way to play TLOU for me.

As for traversal stutters being really rare, I don't think they're THAT rare. If you google those two words you will see loads of people complaining about them in loads of games. It seems to be something afflicting modern game development quite widely. (It isn't my PC before anyone says it. It runs probably most games flawlessly.)

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
me reading this post

I guess I could squeeze more out of my system because I only updated my drivers and playing Starfield in ultrawide and frames are anywhere between 60 in town and fighting to 140+ at ultra settings

cM7wbyZ.jpg

Still better than 30 fps.

Uh Huh Sure GIF

Try harder

Sounds like you just suck at computing šŸ¤­

I'm trying to make a point but I don't wanna be lumped in with this guy

Well, my sarcasm attempt backfired spectacularly. Back to live under my rock.

Ulysses 31

I just ordered Samsung`s Neo G9 57" Monitor for my PC, meanwhile I haven`t even booted up my PS5 since I finished GoW:R.
With Sony`s games now also releasing on PC sooner or later this will have been my last console, too.
Only using PS5 to claim monthly PSN games... šŸ‘€

Elysium44

Banned
Uh Huh Sure GIF

Try harder

It was hyperbole but there is truth in it - I had trouble with a newer nvidia driver causing crashes and glitches recently and had to roll back. It's a known issue on the nvidia subreddit. nvidia's old reputation for having good drivers is losing its sheen.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If you google those two words you will see loads of people complaining about them in loads of games. It seems to be something afflicting modern game development quite widely.
Some of those games that people complain like TLOU2, Dead Space Remake and Plague Tale were insignificant for me last time I tried.

Well, my sarcasm attempt backfired spectacularly. Back to live under my rock.
The problem there is that those things can happen. But all of that are extremely rare and/or optional and still helps to provide far better experiences than console gaming.

Last edited:

hlm666

I've been searching about these launchers (launchbox and etc.). Will try some later.

Tho the only emulators I use Dolphin/CEMU and Ruijinx, dont know if they are supported. Old consoles I usually emulate on my 3DS.
All 3 work with launchbox, the launchbox forums should help or some of the launchbox youtube videos. Your probably going to need to pay for launchbox to get bigbox mode to make it look the way you see in all the videos. Emulation Station can probably get it setup similarly for free.

CJ_75

I am playing on a RTX 4090 PC connected to a 65 inch Sony A95K QD-Oled tv. It's a breathtaking experience so far.
Most games run on native 4K and I want 60fps as base fps. I love the polished cinematic Playstation Studios games but I'm fine with waiting 1 or 2 years for the inevitable superior PC port.

Top Bottom