• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

luiztfc

This may seem dumb, but I don't understand much about stuff like AA, MSAA, HBAO and etc (I mean, I have a general idea regarding anti-aliasing technology, but I don't understand the difference between them and its toll on the PC). And although I have a nice rig, I can't use it at its potential, because I don't know how to properly configure it. Could you guys link some guides? I don't mind if it's long or in-depth, I just ask it to be comprehensive.

Thanks,

Varna

Just finished setting up my SLI.

i5-2500k @ 4.5GHZ, x2 EVGA 580 GTX SC 850/1700/2100 (afraid to go higher), G.SKILL Sniper 8GB and ASUS P8Z68-V PRO.

It's incredible.

Anyone have experience with the Corsair Carbide Series 500R?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010

My current case is well... feeling really bloated. Even with the detachable PSU wires my wire management is just horrible. This case does not have the room for it. Plus I have nowhere to go as far as fan add-on goes (which I do want to invest in now).

MisterNoisy

i5-2500k @ 4.5GHZ, x2 EVGA 580 GTX SC 850/1700/2100 (afraid to go higher), G.SKILL Sniper 8GB and ASUS P8Z68-V PRO.

It's incredible.

My current case is well... feeling really bloated. Even with the detachable PSU wires my wire management is just horrible. This case does not have the room for it. Plus I have nowhere to go as far as fan add-on goes (which I do want to invest in now).

While an SLI rig does impose some definite limits on what you can hide, that case has outstanding cable management features - you have plenty of space between the mobo tray and the right-side door to stash the clutter. The only misstep is the lack of ziptie loops.

As for fan add-on, are you looking for another fan mount? The existing setup (2 front, 2 top, 1 side and 1 rear) is about as good as it gets.

mkenyon

Banned
This may seem dumb, but I don't understand much about stuff like AA, MSAA, HBAO and etc (I mean, I have a general idea regarding anti-aliasing technology, but I don't understand the difference between them and its toll on the PC). And although I have a nice rig, I can't use it at its potential, because I don't know how to properly configure it. Could you guys link some guides? I don't mind if it's long or in-depth, I just ask it to be comprehensive.

Thanks,
In some of the first issues of PC Gamer Digital (on Steam), they go over all this stuff. They even let you use sliders over a frame to show you what it looks like with it on and off. Pretty cool stuff.

It's incredible.

I thought you would be back with these questions :p

Yeah, 500R is a great case. In a lot of ways I actually prefer it over my 600T. For a 580 SLI rig, some suggestions:

-Arc Midi (with extra/replacement fans)
-500R
-600T
-HAF X/932/922
-CM Storm Trooper
-Xigmatek Elysium

Lots more options, but those are the best of the bunch.

Would generally throw the CM 690II Advanced in this list as well, but the cable management situation in that case could be better.

RedSwirl

Okay I got a profile up. Now my GPU hovers around 70 or 80C while playing Skyrim. That still high?

Also, someone's telling me my GPU might be running hot because it's not getting enough power (wattage). Thoughts?

Varna

While an SLI rig does impose some definite limits on what you can hide, that case has outstanding cable management features - you have plenty of space between the mobo tray and the right-side door to stash the clutter. The only misstep is the lack of ziptie loops.

As for fan add-on, are you looking for another fan mount? The existing setup (2 front, 2 top, 1 side and 1 rear) is about as good as it gets.

That's what I have on my Antec Dark Fleet. It worked well enough with a single card but now it's looking pretty scary to me. 1st GPU 58c/ 2nd 51c. It's gone as high as 76c doing some benchmarks and BF3.

I thought you would be back with these questions :p

Me too. Upgrading never goes smoothly for me.

One slightly odd thing I am noticing with my temps. Coming from a cold restart my cards idle fine. 42/35. After playing for a bit once they get to about 58 it seems like they are having a really hard time cooling down. This seems a lot like a driver problem I had with just a single card a while back.

MisterNoisy

That's what I have on my Antec Dark Fleet. It worked well enough with a single card but now it's looking pretty scary to me. 1st GPU 58c/ 2nd 51c. It's gone as high as 76c doing some benchmarks and BF3.

I wonder what effect closing off the side intake completely would have - ostensibly, you're drawing in cool air (or exhausting hot air, but in my experience, side fans works better as intake) right over the expansion slot area, but perhaps letting the standard bottom/front -> top/back airflow pattern (even minus the extra fan) would be better. Perhaps try disconnecting the side fan and putting some tape over the intake slots and see if that changes things?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
2012 Thread up
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869
Okay I got a profile up. Now my GPU hovers around 70 or 80C while playing Skyrim. That still high?

Also, someone's telling me my GPU might be running hot because it's not getting enough power (wattage). Thoughts?
That is fine. Your 8800GT might be a pre revision and has a tiny tiny fan. Your temps sound like it anyway.
Shouldn't be a power issue, some 8800GT's ran hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom