• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin.

All this planning on my push/pull config for the h100i fans is really making me think about layout and cable management. I went looking for a Y fan splitter cable which would basically let me set up push/pull with 4 fans. Turns out I bought the same black cable 2 years ago for my current build so I only need one more. 7 dollars saved. Ordered the other one just now so I will be all set for push/pull.

Because my case layout is a bit poor, my cables are pretty untidy. I got some zip ties to help with that so they don't get in the way of the airflow. I had to get those splitters as well as an extender for another fan. Some of these smaller parts can be pretty cheap on eBay with the buy two get one free deals. Always good to have spares!

Hi there,

I am looking at a new build because my current build is ~4 years old and is struggling with new games now.

I've been looking at the following build but no idea if it's good or not.

GA-990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX SB950 mobo
FX8350
Mushkin Blackline frostbyte 16GB 2x8GB (Can also fit as 4x4GB)
Intel 330 series 120GB SSD SSDSC2CT120A3K5
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB 6Gb/s SATA3
Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Ghz Vapor-X 3GB GRRR5

Would this be a decent basis for a PC for gaming, generally FPS (Left 4 Dead) and RPGs (Mass Effect) as well as emulators (Dolphin and possibly Dreamcast for the new 2-3 years? I'd be running 2 monitors at 1080p.

The shop I am looking at purchasing from includes overclocking in the price.

I am obviously willing to consider other parts but I would prefer a Radeon GPU.

I'm not the expert but reading this thread it looks like everyone says go with Intel for gaming.

bananas

Banned
Making sure I post this in the correct thread this time...

Once I get my tax return, this is what I'm aiming to get to build my first gaming PC:

Case: BitFenix Shinobi
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
GPU: GeForce GTX 670 (Zotac ZT-60301-10P)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Green 650W
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
DVD: Asus 24x DVD Burner

I'm also purchasing a second modem, bluetooth receiver, headset, among other things.

So far my price with shipping is $1,204.

Good? Bad? What say you PC-GAF?

Varna

You should consider getting the Samsung 30nm ram instead. mkenyon suggested it for me and holy shit is it amazing stuff. Dirt cheap, low voltage on stock and easily under 1.5 running at 1866.

NoRéN

You should consider getting the Samsung 30nm ram instead. mkenyon suggested it for me and holy shit is it amazing stuff. Dirt cheap, low voltage on stock and easily under 1.5 running at 1866.

Not to mention that they are low profile considering the Hyper 212 as a cpu cooler.

Koroviev

Once I get my tax return, this is what I'm aiming to get to build my first gaming PC:

I'm also purchasing a second modem, bluetooth receiver, headset, among other things.

Add an SSD (and the Samsung RAM mentioned above) and you're golden ;)

bananas

Banned

I can only find it in 4GB variant. Do they not make a 8GB version?

Add an SSD (and the Samsung RAM mentioned above) and you're golden ;)

Do you have an SSD recommendation? Preferably something not too expensive.

Koroviev

I can only find it in 4GB variant. Do they not make a 8GB version?

Do you have an SSD recommendation? Preferably something not too expensive.

16GB of RAM is a bit overkill for gaming.

And the ones in the OP, basically. The 830 is the best deal if you can find one. Its successor, the 840, isn't quite as good and uses cheaper, lower endurance TLC NAND in lieu of the traditional MLC NAND. I wasn't able to find the 830, so I picked up the the 250GB 840 for $180 and I'm fine with it. I'm probably going to replace it with a 500GB drive in the next year or two anyway. If you want a Samsung drive that rivals the 830, then you'll have to spend a bit more and get the 840 Pro. Alternatively, there is the tried and true Crucial M4.

Smokey

Amazing thread! Can I just ask...... would upgrading from an i7 920 to an i7 3770k be worth it? I only do 3D visual effects work but looking for ways to improve my current machine or build a new one.

Depends.

If you go 3770k, you've got to get a whole new motherboard too. If you do visual work I'd say yes. Hyperthreading would be nice for you.

Jburton

Banned
Is this too good to be true?

http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...manufacture=PNY+Technologies+Inc&promoid=1270

280 for a GEforce 670?????

Is this board garbage, or should I jump on this like a 5 year old on a trampoline?

It's a reference which means it can be loud under load and run hot as well.

I could not afford a model with the better cooling system and so I went for the ref model with the idea to upgrade cooling at a later date.

Now with my arctic accelero the only thing cooler or quieter is a water cooled 670.

Phew, 10 I5s and 1 motherboard left at Microcenter, glad I ordered that shit for pickup before I went in tomorrow AM :).

Anything else I should pick up, cable ties, SATA cables or anything, or will my components have everything I need?

It's a reference which means it can be loud under load and run hot as well.

I could not afford a model with the better cooling system and so I went for the ref model with the idea to upgrade cooling at a later date.

Now with my arctic accelero the only thing cooler or quieter is a water cooled 670.

Cool, I think I'll jump in on that then :).

Bargain hunting is oddly enjoyable.

Bleeether

I just ran two tests on my samsung 830 ssd. The write speeds appear terribly low.

xMar2IT.png

I have no prior experience with ssd's so i am not sure if this means its defective or if i have to tweak it.

Any ideas?

note: Installed on sata 6g, ahci enabled in bios before OS install.

I am looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 SSD's. I already have a 320gb and 500gb HDD's in my current system and needed to reformat this weekend. Since I was reformatting, I was thinking of finally getting a SSD to place the OS and some apps on it. I'd go between 90-120gb since its mainly for the OS.

Any thoughts?

Koroviev

I am looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 SSD's. I already have a 320gb and 500gb HDD's in my current system and needed to reformat this weekend. Since I was reformatting, I was thinking of finally getting a SSD to place the OS and some apps on it. I'd go between 90-120gb since its mainly for the OS.

Any thoughts?

120/128GB is the bare minimum I would go with...but it's going to fill up fast. My recommendation is a 250/256GB drive since the prices are coming down. If you're already spending ~$130 on a 128GB drive, why not spend around half additionally to double your capacity?

*snrk*
Oh there were great laughs to be had with some friends using the sex mod. With the animations, and the hilariously bad dialogue, it was great. Then I blew them up with a Megaton Bomb bullet from my Anti-Materiel Rifle while dressed as Yoko from Gurren Lagann.

Being able to mod really opens the game up to lots of fun and hilarity.

I'll definitely be checking out Mount and Blade. I have so much PC gaming to catch up on, being out of it for the last 7 years or so.

Same here, I've amassed around 100 games since the last 2 Steam sales (so cheep). But if you're not averse to F2P games may I suggest you go that route since that's all I really play these days. Currently maining Dota 2 > Warframe > Hawken. There seems to be tons out there that look interesting but I can't handle too many games sadly...

Addnan

If Scan.co.uk doesn't get stock of the Evo 212 by next Saturday what should I go for? I don't mind if it costs a bit more.

I want to get the remaining 4 or so parts from Scan so I don't have to pay additional postage somewhere else.

Bleeether

Those are normal speeds for an SSD on SATA II/3GB.

Check out this thread for more answers. Might be related to an intel driver.

This is my 830 using Sata II, don't think those are normal speeds.

tPygU9n.png

Try downloading the latest driver from here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...+Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel+RST)"#

I cant thank you enough my good Sir's, you guys saved the day. It did in fact turn out to be that driver.

This is looking so much better.

Qi5N3RC.png

Ok... as there's no "I need a new server" thread, I'll see if anyone here might be able to help me. I've got a media server with 4 x 3tb drives in it that I use for streaming / transcoding movies and storing a metric shit-ton of backups, code, data etc. Problem is, it's sucking a ridiculous amount of power and as it's on 24x7 I really should do something about it.

Are there any particularly power efficient CPUs / motherboards available which would suit my needs? Ideally I need them to all but power down when it's not actively doing anything... which as I understand is a feature of some of the more modern architecture.

Processing wise I need to at least match (ideally exceed) the capability of a core 2 quad (Q6600) as otherwise it's going to start struggling on some of the heavier duty transcoding. I've seen some talk of Ivy Bridge processors being good for this sort of thing, is that right?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

kharma45

If Scan.co.uk doesn't get stock of the Evo 212 by next Saturday what should I go for? I don't mind if it costs a bit more.

I want to get the remaining 4 or so parts from Scan so I don't have to pay additional postage somewhere else.

Get it from Amazon, postage is free. It was around £23 there last time I checked.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd recommend adding the Ducky Shine 2 for a Mechanical Keyboard with backlit keys and the logitech G500 or G9x for the Mouse section.

Kenka

I've built quite a few PCs at work, but they're not monsters...although most of them do have i3s, 8GB of RAM, and SSDs :p
Nice ! On average, prices in Europe are way higher than in the US/Canada. I wonder if it is worth it, to build PCs in those countries and ship them here after. If some volume is assured to sell, then the answer is definitely yes, wich makes it delicate to buy parts on place.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How are Vertex SSDs?

Fantastic (Vertex 4). I bought one 2 months ago and they all ship with the latest FW or at last FW 1.5 which eliminates the big errors with earlier FW's.

I can't test now but on earlier test I was getting 500MB write/300MB read speeds. It works great and I don't have the best MB at this time to take advantage and make the SSD as fast as possible. The x79 board I'm getting next month should make it shine even more.

keuja

Get the MSI GTX670 Power Edition OC if you can.
It's factory oveclocked, runs much cooler and quieter than the Zotac.
For SSD, I'd recommend Crucial M4 128GB or Samsung 840, best value for your bucks.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is it worth waiting for Haswell?

edit: June 2nd seems so far away.

Probably not. The most optimistic rumor is 17% increase in performance per clock over Ivy with an improved OC limit. So effectively 20-40% improvement. I guess if the 40% turns out to be true, yes. But if you're waiting now, I don't imagine there will be clearly reliable boards and OC settings until August.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Probably not. The most optimistic rumor is 17% increase in performance per clock over Ivy with an improved OC limit. So effectively 20-40% improvement. I guess if the 40% turns out to be true, yes. But if you're waiting now, I don't imagine there will be clearly reliable boards and OC settings until August.

I would also add that depending on which CPU you are buying (3930k vs 3770k), results may vary. One of the reasons I'm going with a Sandy Bridge-E is that it's fast and future proof enough for me right now. 6c/12t is nothing to laugh at. The price premium for the 3930k is higher though. I suspect Haswell CPU's may launch at similar prices to SB when it hits.

Right now, you can get 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes on SB-E. I'm also assuming that in the future, there will be a better CPU for the same socket (2011) so there should be a decent upgrade path.

To that end, if you are getting one of the best CPU's right now (3930k), you will be making the best long term decision. I don't know if I'd do anything else other than a 2011 socket CPU. You might as well wait until June for Haswell if you don't want to pay for a 2011 CPU.

NEW VIDEO CARD MONDAY! So excited. Can't wait. Gaaaaaah

Which one? I might have missed that post.

Madao

i'm gonna get a new PC soon so i'll be checking this thread out in the near future and will probably ask for help down the road since i'm quite new at building good PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom