• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to order another wifi card. If this doesn't work, there's something in my OS or BIOS limiting me to 65mbps wireless (54 functional), and 100mbps wired

I could live with 100, but the adaptor makes the connection crap out every 5 minutes.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Are the Sennheiser HD 558 good headphones at $180? Only need it for pc games and electronic music. I have a $25 gift card to bring the cost down further.

Water

Are the Sennheiser HD 558 good headphones at $180? Only need it for pc games and electronic music. I have a $25 gift card to bring the cost down further.
I have yet to hear about Sennheisers that are a bad choice, but in that price class I'd look at Beyerdynamic DT-990s (also recommended in the first post). Super comfortable. If you want closed-back, totally isolating phones, Audio-Technica M series is worth looking at; they are also very well built, but for me were uncomfortable.

If you want the HD 558's specifically, they seem to be $123 on Amazon.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I have yet to hear about Sennheisers that are a bad choice, but in that price class I'd look at Beyerdynamic DT-990s (also recommended in the first post). Super comfortable. If you want closed-back, totally isolating phones, Audio-Technica M series is worth looking at; they are also very well built, but for me were uncomfortable.

If you want the HD 558's specifically, they seem to be $123 on Amazon.

North of the border, $180 is the cheapest option us Canadians have. $123 is damn cheap in comparison.

Gumbie

Out of the video cards I was selling I'm down to only one 2GB Gigabyte Windforce 770 GTX. I'm dropping the price to $250 shipped USPS 2-day priority. If anyone is interested please let me know.

For some reason I don't know, my rig did started to do the same thing, a month or two ago. But just the CPU cooler fan. The temps never were over 40°C at idle, and this was the max in summer when ambient temperature was almost 30°C.

But now it's just spins with 100%, at 1500-1600rpm, with temps at 27-31°C.
Got it temporary fixed using speedfan, but I'm a bit scared I might damage something with leaving it permanently at lowered settings, so I only slow it down while browsing. ALTHOUGH after a 3 hour session of Borderlands2, temps are at 45°C, so I should be fine.

Is there a way to change speedfans in BIOS? I've never touched anything in there except for changing the HDD boot order.
Do you guys have PWM fans? If you don't, there's no adjusting fan speed without voltage adapters.

Tablo

In light of this new discovery... I think I'm going to switch back to Windows 8. The performance delta between Win7 and Win8 seems to be much more apparent on lower end hardware. In SR3 I'm finally without tearing or input lag, but now I get occasional fps drops to the mid 20's along with some audio hitching. This happens no matter how low I drop the settings, so I'm thinking that my Pentium CPU is the bottleneck. This never happened in Win8, I couldn't get the game to drop a frame there if I tried — even on Ultra settings with 8x MSAA.

Can't wait to re-install my operating system again. -_-

You live and you learn...
I'm going to take this and just say that to all the idiots still somehow convincing people like this dude to not go Windows 8.1 or newer, please stop, it's really misleading unless there is a very specific reason why you need W7 for important SW/HW to work.
Start menu is coming back by the fall iirc too, so no excuses.
Welcome (back to?) a newer more efficient operating system bro!

Sky Chief

Ugh, I got all my new PC parts delivered today EXCEPT the PSU! I am just going to build the PC this weekend and then when my PSU is delivered it will be ready to go.

molnizzle

Damn its been a lot harder than I thought adjusting to m/k gaming. Kinda gave up and bought a 360 pad

M/KB is really only good for FPS, RTS and MMORPG's. Everything else is better with a controller. Hell, in my opinion everything is better with a controller, but that's neither here nor there. ;-)

I'm going to take this and just say that to all the idiots still somehow convincing people like this dude to not go Windows 8.1 or newer, please stop, it's really misleading unless there is a very specific reason why you need W7 for important SW/HW to work.

Thanks mang. It's good to have my case's USB 3.0 ports working again.

riflen

Damn its been a lot harder than I thought adjusting to m/k gaming. Kinda gave up and bought a 360 pad

A pad is better for some game types. If you're having problems with first-person shooters though, I strongly advise you stick to a mouse. A lot of new players set their mouse sensitivity too high and leave acceleration enabled, which can make it hard for them to be consistently accurate.

Calling people offering advice "idiots" doesn't help anyone here.

The fact that there are enough SW/HW configurations still causing problems with Windows 8+ is reason enough for some people to stick with 7. That doesn't make anyone an "idiot."

Tablo

I agree that there are still compatibility problems in some cases, but we're in a gaming PC focused thread, where people are building new rigs and looking to generally optimize around a good gaming experience, which Windows 8 is conducive to and generally doesn't interfere with.

xBladeM6x

I believe I'm set on getting a Corsair Raptor M45 mouse (Want the Red LED's and don't care too much about Lazer mice) but I'm wondering if it's possible to change the DPI buttons to be on the two side buttons where the thumb would be instead of under the scroll wheel.

Anyone know the answer to this? :p

I believe I'm set on getting a Corsair Raptor M45 mouse (Want the Red LED's and don't care too much about Lazer mice) but I'm wondering if it's possible to change the DPI buttons to be on the two side buttons where the thumb would be instead of under the scroll wheel.

Anyone know the answer to this? :p
I have the mouse. It comes with software to change any of the buttons. I currently use the DPI buttons as volume control for example.

xBladeM6x

I have the mouse. It comes with software to change any of the buttons. I currently use the DPI buttons as volume control for example.

Awesome, would you recommend it over other gaming mice, or do you mean you "have it" but it's sitting around somewhere collecting dust? Lol. I'm replacing my Razer Naga Molten with this so that I have something for dedicated FPS use.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You've not wasted your money. It can be a bugger to get rid of judder, tearing and input lag in all games. Some titles will require more attention than others, but I found it helps when you understand why phenomena like input lag and tearing occur. Essentially, there is no magic bullet right now (G-Sync is the closest thing to that) and you'll need to experiment. Apologies if you know all this already.

First off, adaptive v-sync will disable v-sync when you cannot maintain the requisite frame-rate. If that happens you'll get tearing until the frame-rate returns to the required rate. It was designed to address judder and make a changeable frame-rate less jarring. It will not help input lag if you are at the requisite frame-rate or higher, as it uses standard double-buffered v-sync.

Standard adaptive v-sync requires 60+fps, if you choose adaptive half, you'll need to maintain 30+fps to keep v-sync enabled. So if you are seeing tearing using adaptive v-sync, then you're not maintaining the requisite frame-rate, or you've capped it too low. Input lag will not be present when v-sync is disabled, as you've observed.

Input lag is caused when you enable v-sync and the system is generating more frames-per-second than the v-sync rate is allowing to be displayed. I believe this is because the extra frames are held until the display is ready to show them. In this scenario you're essentially viewing the past as far as the game engine is concerned.
As you can't correct your inputs until you see the result of them on screen, this leads to very sluggish, high-latency input response. This is awful when using a mouse, but not so noticeable with a game-pad, I find.

Triple buffering can reduce input lag, but if it's not available, you should cap the game's frame-rate. If the game has a frame-rate limiter, try using it before Afterburner or Inspector. Capping at a few frames-per-second less than the v-sync limit might give better results for some games. i.e. 58fps or 28fps cap.

I find that D3DO does not work well for all games. For some titles, using the in-game v-sync feature (perhaps with a frame-cap to battle input lag) works best. For others, the in-game v-sync is garbage and you're better off disabling it in-game and forcing though Inspector.

To be fair, console games have not solved this problem at all. Mostly they employ double-buffered v-sync and put up with input-lag by hiding behind high-latency controls. Sorry for the wall of text.
+rep

xBladeM6x

I need to upgrade from my HD5550 and I was looking into the EVGA 750ti for gaming at 1080p/1200p

I don't care if I can have max settings as long as most games run fine

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/geforce...?id=1219104862829&skuId=4906008&st=categoryid$pcmcat182300050008&cp=1&lp=3

This card here. I have an i5 3570k @ 4.2 and a 500w Earthwatts, will this be sufficient?

I would just spend the extra $50.00 and get a 760. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933

However if you decide that you can't go any higher in price, the 750 ti should be able to handle just about anything you throw at it on high settings with minimal anti-aliasing.

Panzon

A pad is better for some game types. If you're having problems with first-person shooters though, I strongly advise you stick to a mouse. A lot of new players set their mouse sensitivity too high and leave acceleration enabled, which can make it hard for them to be consistently accurate.
The mouse is actually not the problem. I'm actually doing OK with it. The keyboard on the other hand is a nightmare. I'ts just so uncomfortable and frustrating. Gonna keep practicing though until I just can't do it anymore. Hopefully it doesn't come to that since I have a pretty decent mouse

molnizzle

I need to upgrade from my HD5550 and I was looking into the EVGA 750ti for gaming at 1080p/1200p

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/geforce...?id=1219104862829&skuId=4906008&st=categoryid$pcmcat182300050008&cp=1&lp=3

This card here. I have an i5 3570k @ 4.2 and a 500w Earthwatts, will this be sufficient?

Depends on your definition of "run fine."

I have a 750Ti but am bottlenecked by my cheap CPU. It's fine for me though since I built this machine to play games at 1080p30. I'm doing that just fine with my dual core non-hyperthreading Pentium, so you'd get even better results. Better enough to hit consistent 60fps though? Possibly not.

That's assuming maxed out graphics though. If you're cool with lowering shit, then yeah, you'll be totally fine. The 750Ti is a hell of a GPU for $150.

...and if you're cool with 30fps, dude, this card is the best value of all time. I've been recording fucking video of my gameplay at 30fps without performance drops. Shadowplay so based.

The Witcher 2 - http://youtu.be/lzJmItRJVjM
Saints Row: The Third - http://youtu.be/BhMACZh13UI

Recorded on this beastly rig. ^_^

paskowitz

I have an AsRock z87 Extreme4 mobo. One of the features of the board is an HDMI in (a la XB1). I have the A-Tuning program, which enables HDMI switching, installed. However, when I try to use HDMI switching nothing happens. What is really strange is if I hit alt tab or go into taskmanager I can see the damn program is running, but when I select it, it isfucking invisible.

Obviously I tried uninstall reinstall. Also tried running as admin. Neither worked. Would flashing the bios help? IO connector bad? Defective mobo? HDMI/HDTV incompatibility?

Gvaz

Banned

I have a 750Ti but am bottlenecked by my cheap CPU. It's fine for me though since I built this machine to play games at 1080p30. I'm doing that just fine with my dual core non-hyperthreading Pentium, so you'd get even better results. Better enough to hit consistent 60fps though? Possibly not.

That's assuming maxed out graphics though. If you're cool with lowering shit, then yeah, you'll be totally fine. The 750Ti is a hell of a GPU for $150.

Well I also have a i5 3570k i overclocked so that's not going to be an issue for me.

Groof

I've been holding out a bit since last I came in here, but with my PC taking over 10 minutes for a full boot, I felt I can't hold out any longer and hop on the SSD train come pay day.

So my question is, is the Crucial M500 120GB still worth it?
And how is the PNY XLR8 120GB SSD? They're both currently the exact same price (649 SEK/~£58) so I could go for whichever.

Thanks!

Edit: I might stretch for a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB if it provides a better experience to the other two. But if it's negligible I'll stick to the lower priced ones.

Quoting myself because of new page. Any insight? Thinking of picking it up next week.

Quoting myself because of new page. Any insight? Thinking of picking it up next week.

Yes, Crucial M500 is still worth to buy it, and I am considering it myself. The M500 and EVO are both the ones to consider for most people. EVO is a bit faster but you are fine with the M500.

Don't know the other SSD, would probably get the M500.

mylasthope

Neo Member

iirc, the read or the write time on the m500 is really slow at that size. FWIW, I have that PNY ssd in my laptop and the 480GB version of the M500 going into my PC. Both have worked flawlessly for the time I've owned them.

redlegs87

I have an AsRock z87 Extreme4 mobo. One of the features of the board is an HDMI in (a la XB1). I have the A-Tuning program, which enables HDMI switching, installed. However, when I try to use HDMI switching nothing happens. What is really strange is if I hit alt tab or go into taskmanager I can see the damn program is running, but when I select it, it isfucking invisible.

Obviously I tried uninstall reinstall. Also tried running as admin. Neither worked. Would flashing the bios help? IO connector bad? Defective mobo? HDMI/HDTV incompatibility?

I think the thing going into the HDMI In has to be on before you try and switch over ot it.

Also I think you have to use the iGPU to have it work it won't work through a discrete video card.

Groof

Yes, Crucial M500 is still worth to buy it, and I am considering it myself. The M500 and EVO are both the ones to consider for most people. EVO is a bit faster but you are fine with the M500.

Don't know the other SSD, would probably get the M500.

iirc, the read or the write time on the m500 is really slow at that size. FWIW, I have that PNY ssd in my laptop and the 480GB version of the M500 going into my PC. Both have worked flawlessly for the time I've owned them.

Woop, thanks guys. I don't have too much money to spend and figured that in combination with a 1TB drive I wouldn't need much more space than 120GB. Might go for the M500 though, don't know much about PNY.

kennah

...and if you're cool with 30fps, dude, this card is the best value of all time. I've been recording fucking video of my gameplay at 30fps without performance drops. Shadowplay so based.

The Witcher 2 - http://youtu.be/lzJmItRJVjM
Saints Row: The Third - http://youtu.be/BhMACZh13UI

Recorded on this beastly rig. ^_^
Awesome post. Thank you

paskowitz

I think the thing going into the HDMI In has to be on before you try and switch over ot it.

Also I think you have to use the iGPU to have it work it won't work through a discrete video card.

Thanks for the reply. My devices were on when I attempted to switch to them.

iGPU = integrated gpu? Does the extreme4 have this? If so how do I enable it?

Does anyone know anything about the Aqua Computer Cuplex Pro Rev 3 CPU block? If anyone has any experience with it I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance

Integrated GPU is the one on your processor if it has one. You'll need to connect your monitor on the motherboard then instead of the graphics cards. Don't know if your motherboard has a HDMI input though.

Tablo

Woop, thanks guys. I don't have too much money to spend and figured that in combination with a 1TB drive I wouldn't need much more space than 120GB. Might go for the M500 though, don't know much about PNY.

Yeah the M500 should be fine, but it is relatively slow sometimes, they fixed that at the lower capacities with the M550, but that's likely too much $$ for your budget. I'm always leery of PNY though.

appaws

Banned

No way I would pay $199 for a 750ti...that seems way high.

Look at this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121868
It's an ASUS DCUII....R7 265. A better card than a 750ti, and it comes with two free games.

Also, R9 270s are cheaper than that 750ti....and another step up in quality.

Hell, you could get a 270x with two free games for $219.

And yes 500 watts would be fine for all of these cards.

Groof

Yeah the M500 should be fine, but it is relatively slow sometimes, they fixed that at the lower capacities with the M550, but that's likely too much $$ for your budget. I'm always leery of PNY though.

Well, I did say I could see myself stretching for a Samsung 840 EVO if it were to provide a better experience overall. Considering the M550 is about the same price as the Samsung, I could see myself picking that up.
But of course, that depends on if it benefits the long-term experience.

appaws

Banned
I had a look at AMD alternatives to the 750Ti earlier and landed on this.

That EVGA 750Ti uses a bunch less power and is super overclockable though, which is worth bearing in mind.

That is a great deal. I think the 750ti is a great product....if you are constrained by power and/or budget. If not, the R7 265 is a better performer at the same price.

My big problem with the EVGA one the dude linked a few posts up was that is was priced at 200 bucks. For 200 bucks you could move up to an R9 270 or almost a 270x, which will bomb the 750ti performance wise.

If anyone really wants a 750ti, Newegg has a Gigabyte one that is priced at 129.99 after rebates!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125502

redlegs87

You are using a Intel cpu so it has graphics integrated on the chip already. You have to use the HDMI out to your monitor for the HDMI In to pass through to your monitor through the HDMI out.

Which basically means it defeats the purpose of using that feature if you have a AMD or Nvidia video card.

prag16

Banned
Starting to contemplate a video card upgrade for my 2550k rig. Just popping in here to make sure the consensus is still in line with the thread title; that the 2500k (and 2550k in my case) is fine?

I've seen some of these batshit crazy recommended specs a few of these publishers have thrown out lately... I refuse to believe 8 netbook cores are even remotely in the same league as a 2500k by hardly any measure...

kennah

Should be fine. Upgrade when it feels slow. Don't spend money until you need to.

What video card do you have now and what were you thinking of getting?

prag16

Banned
Should be fine. Upgrade when it feels slow. Don't spend money until you need to.

What video card do you have now and what were you thinking of getting?

560ti -> 770 potentially, but not sure yet; might wait for more Maxwell stuff.

Separately I'm thinking about a 750ti for my HTPC, but it has a crummy Athlon II X2 215 CPU. Afraid it'll bottleneck the crap out of a 750ti.

kennah

560ti -> 770 potentially, but not sure yet; might wait for more Maxwell stuff.

Separately I'm thinking about a 750ti for my HTPC, but it has a crummy Athlon II X2 215 CPU. Afraid it'll bottleneck the crap out of a 750ti.
560 to a 770 I'd wait unless you're really hurting. The 680 was released in 2012 :p.

I love the 750 Ti so much. Really want one for my work pc.

Gvaz

Banned
No way I would pay $199 for a 750ti...that seems way high.

Look at this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121868
It's an ASUS DCUII....R7 265. A better card than a 750ti, and it comes with two free games.

Also, R9 270s are cheaper than that 750ti....and another step up in quality.

Hell, you could get a 270x with two free games for $219.

And yes 500 watts would be fine for all of these cards.

I don't want ATI anymore, and Best Buy price matched it down to $158 after tax for me so i feel like that was fair, since I wanted it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom