• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

anyone tried the new 14.4 Catalyst?
wonder when AMD will support GameStreaming and ShadowPlay (as in not support nVidia's implementation... at least come up with their own)

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Hi noob here on computers lol, i was looking to build a good pc, my budget is 800 to 1500
i really wanna play watch dogs on medium to high settings if its possible :)

Tablo

Well, I did say I could see myself stretching for a Samsung 840 EVO if it were to provide a better experience overall. Considering the M550 is about the same price as the Samsung, I could see myself picking that up.
But of course, that depends on if it benefits the long-term experience.
It would be worth it then, definitely go for the M550 then if possible!

appaws

Banned
Hi noob here on computers lol, i was looking to build a good pc, my budget is 800 to 1500
i really wanna play watch dogs on medium to high settings if its possible :)

Study the OP like the words of the gods.

Fill out the form there and cut and paste it back here, then we will be able to help you.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
800-1500 $ £ or €? Are you going to be using 1080p or another resolution?

maybe another resolution and its $ maybe the resolution can be 1366 x 768
thanks in advance :)

Study the OP like the words of the gods.

Fill out the form there and cut and paste it back here, then we will be able to help you.

thanks! will do that now, i'm going to get lost but ill try my best lol

Dave_6

I see the new 14.4 Catalyst drivers are out. Just to clarify as I've only done this once so far since I built this PC; what is the correct way to install new GPU drivers?

mylasthope

Neo Member
Gaf,

I'm having a hard time choosing a 780 GTX. Any input would be awesome. Since I have a lot of Amazon credit, I need to buy the card there. I'm trying to see if I can get one of the following cards to appear in my quick picks for a 5% discount. I'd like to get the card as soon as possible since this is the last part I need before I start building. With that in mind, I'm going to purchase one of these cards tomorrow even if none of them appear in my quick picks. Thanks to my prime membership, I'd get the card within 2 days if I purchase it through Amazon or I can pay for expedited shipping with Circuitcity ($14.99). Here are my options:

1) Hope either the Gigabyte GHz Edition ($519.99 + tax), 780 Classified ($539.99 + tax - $20 rebate), or PNY 780 OC XLR8 ($499.99 + tax) appears in my quick picks tomorrow which would save me 5% off the price.

2) Buy from Circuitcity's Amazon store (no tax).
$499.99 for PNY 780 OC + $14.99 for 2 day shipping
$539.99 for 780 Classified + $14.99 for 2 day shipping

Milabrega

This is a build I'm putting together for someone, since all online psu calculators don't have the 750ti as an option yet and last time I built a PC I ordered the wrong PSU I figured I'd ask the experts here, what Sub $100 PSU should I get (preferably off newegg) for this thing?

Current Build.

mylasthope

Neo Member
I would go with the Classified.

Would you still choose the Classified over the other two if either of them appears in my quick picks? I'd be looking at $539 for the GHz and $518 for the PNY (tax included for both) if they happened to appear in my quick picks, whereas the classified is $569 (tax included, after rebate).

Was thinking about upgrading my 560 Ti but man I haven't ran into anything that this card cant play yet, its still really a great card, now that will probably change with the witcher and maybe watch dogs.

Permission to join this crew?

I am going to be building a gaming PC in a couple of weeks.

Just ordered my first component: The i7 4770k.

The build I'm planning is:

i7 4770k (duh)
GTX 780 ti (EVGA reference model)
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz RAM
NZXT Phantom 410
Corsair H105 cooler
Corsair AX860 PSU
Sandisk Ultra 128GB SSD
1TB Seagate HDD

Any criticisms, ideas, etc?

Why so much ram? Are you delidding your processor? Are you planning on SLI? Why such a big case? What motherboard?

Sorry, the ASRock Z87 Extreme4.

And delidding? That's a new one to me. And so much RAM just because lol. Might just stick to 16GB. And I'm gonna SLI it with another GTX 780 ti in future yeah.

Such a big case? It's a mid tower, not a full.

Ashhong

Hey guys, so I was just thinking about my memory leak issues. Could the fact that I have my SSD to only have virtual memory set from 200mb - 1gb have to do with it? That would be similar to the committed memory issue I was having right? I install all games except League of Legends onto my extra HDD though..

I stand by what I said :p (Tiny computers all the way)

De lidding allows your CPU to be adequately cooled by that cpu cooler. Without a delid haswell can't take advantage of anything over an H60.

Yeah I looked that up. Not crazy enough to take apart an expensive CPU as of yet. This will be my first every build and foray into PC gaming lol.

And won't a smaller case create some crazy heat with a GTX 780 ti inside, especially eventually SLI'in it?

kennah

Yeah I looked that up. Not crazy enough to take apart an expensive CPU as of yet. This will be my first every build and foray into PC gaming lol.

And won't a smaller case create some crazy heat with a GTX 780 ti inside, especially eventually SLI'in it?

SLI is unnecessary (Unless the most powerful single card isn't enough for your needs). You should always stick to the best single card that you can afford. And no, heat hasn't been a problem for a couple years now. All sorts of great small form factor designs these days.

SLI is unnecessary (Unless the most powerful single card isn't enough for your needs). You should always stick to the best single card that you can afford. And no, heat hasn't been a problem for a couple years now. All sorts of great small form factor designs these days.

Thanks for the advice, bud. How long have you been into PC building?

And will the 4770k (possibly OC'd to 4GHz+), 16-32GB RAM and the GTX 780 ti run Watch Dogs on ultra when it comes out?

Ashhong

Guys, the wiring is kicking my ass.

Ha, same. I found the trick was to try and separate the wires in the back of the case into separate groups. Isolated the main power supply wire with the GPU wires and it was a little easier.

I give up on Windows 8. Not only am I annoyed with the memory leaks but I figured out the full screen game issue is because of my dual monitors. It must be a problem with the drivers and Windows 8 because it never happened in 7. I will come back when it's Windows 9.

Question though, I installed a few Steam games and Crysis on my extra internal HDD. After I erase and install W7, will I be able to play those games immediately without reinstalling?

thespot84

Hey guys, so I was just thinking about my memory leak issues. Could the fact that I have my SSD to only have virtual memory set from 200mb - 1gb have to do with it? That would be similar to the committed memory issue I was having right? I install all games except League of Legends onto my extra HDD though..

what kind of SSD, samsung? (sorry lttp. I had ram issues with my samsung ssd and had to turn off some caching feature in the samsung wizard. freed up a gig instantly)

E: it was called rapid mode, in the magician)

Wastwood

Neo Member
Hi Guys, can you rate my current rig, im torn with the desition to buy a new one or just upgrade.

CPU: I5 2500

GPU: GTX 560

8 GB RAM

Samsung EVO 250GB SSD

2 TB WD Black

768 Hybrid HD

i just want to play in 1080p and 60 FPS, High settings and AA, im thinking of buying a 780, not even a TI. and keep the current rig, for a few years.

not interested in overclocking.

what do you think? should i sell this build and build a new one with a 4770 and GTX 780?

Got my new computer yesterday and instantly regretted getting Windows 8.1 :( My WiFi kept dropping and after doing some research it seems like a common problem with the OS. I just got home from work and it appears to be fine now, just hoping it stays that way. Pray for me PC brethren.

Got my new computer yesterday and instantly regretted getting Windows 8.1 :( My WiFi kept dropping and after doing some research it seems like a common problem with the OS. I just got home from work and it appears to be fine now, just hoping it stays that way. Pray for me PC brethren.
Can you post details of your Network card, a guy at work did a load of research on this and it seems to be an issue with particular versions of drivers. I'll dig out the details on Monday at work and pm you and post here

Can you post details of your Network card, a guy at work did a load of research on this and it seems to be an issue with particular versions of drivers. I'll dig out the details on Monday at work and pm you and post here

Thanks very much! I have an Asus PCE-AC68. Like I said, appears to be working now but I have no idea what changed overnight.

Just had another near heart attack when I noticed only one of my 780 TI's was being detected. Sucker wasn't seated properly due to this white bit of plastic. Hopefully it wasn't important...

riflen

Thanks very much! I have an Asus PCE-AC68. Like I said, appears to be working now but I have no idea what changed overnight.

Just had another near heart attack when I noticed only one of my 780 TI's was being detected. Sucker wasn't seated properly due to this white bit of plastic. Hopefully it wasn't important...

Are you sure that white bit of plastic isn't the clasp that is there to hold pci-e cards in place?

B1A71F74-EFF5-43AC-AF65455C52507B0B.jpg

Are you sure that white bit of plastic isn't the clasp that is there to hold pci-e cards in place?

B1A71F74-EFF5-43AC-AF65455C52507B0B.jpg

Uh oh. Am I fucked? I literally touched it and it came off. No way was it attached properly. It was also completely blocking the card from slotting into the motherboard.

Ashhong

I noticed that my wifi just wouldn't connect upon boot sometimes.

I am now installing my drivers in Windows 7 as we speak.

riflen

Uh oh. Am I fucked? I literally touched it and it came off. No way was it attached properly. It was also completely blocking the card from slotting into the motherboard.

It's there to help seat the card correctly. If the card is firmly seated and doesn't seem likely to lift out, then you'll probably be OK.
It sounds like the clip on that slot could be damaged, or perhaps it's come free from the slot some how and could be re-attached. There are a few different designs of clip, some better than others.

They're quite useful because sometimes securing the card's bracket to the case with a screw causes the card to lift out of its slot slightly. If this isn't happening with your machine, then don't worry too much. Be aware that if you transport the PC at all, the card could pop out of the slot.

It's there to help seat the card correctly. If the card is firmly seated and doesn't seem likely to lift out, then you'll probably be OK.
It sounds like the clip on that slot could be damaged, or perhaps it's come free from the slot some how and could be re-attached. There are a few different designs of clip, some better than others.

They're quite useful because sometimes securing the card's bracket to the case with a screw causes the card to lift out of its slot slightly. If this isn't happening with your machine, then don't worry too much. Be aware that if you transport the PC at all, the card could pop out of the slot.

Alright thanks, I'll keep it in mind if I ever need to move it.

So anyone got SweetFX working on Windows 8.1? Keep solving one error after another, now getting "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

Finally up and running, will post photos later.

In the not so good news, it turns out that the Windows 8.1 key I got from Reddit two months ago, is not good enough for Microsoft, and my OS won't activate.

The seller has vanished from Reddit (or changed nickname), and I can't chargeback from Paypal because it's been two months (and it was a gift).

I sent him emails to both of his addresses, and hoping he will have the decency to refund me. In case he decides to never reply, can I chargeback anyway, if I go to my bank and tell them I was scammed?

At least you didn't make a dumb fuck move like I did. I didn't break my latch.. instead the back half of the slot with the latch came off my board. It's not soldered, just glued I think? But it was enough to short it out.

I had to replace the board cause I run a multi gpu setup.

Note to self: when it comes to expensive PC parts, use your brain and not your muscles.

Sky Chief

So I got all my parts delivered except my PSU (CoolerMaster V850) which is not due to arrive until Tuesday. I semi assembled everything that I could have but now I have this great new toy and it has no power. I noticed that my local MicroCenter has the V850 in stock and was thinking about buying it and then returning my other one when I get it on Tuesday. Any word on MicroCenter's return policies. Will this work or should I just be patient?

Last week I picked up a corsair m65 mouse. I liked it except for how wide it was. After a few days though the wheel click started to stick so I swapped it out for a Sensei raw.

Two things bother me about this mouse. Biggest issue I'm hoping I can work around is that the dpi button isn't programmable. The other is the I kept pressing a button on the right side while trying to hold the right click button and move the mouse.

I can probably train myself to stop hitting the side button but is there any solution for programming the dpi button?

So I got all my parts delivered except my PSU (CoolerMaster V850) which is not due to arrive until Tuesday. I semi assembled everything that I could have but now I have this great new toy and it has no power. I noticed that my local MicroCenter has the V850 in stock and was thinking about buying it and then returning my other one when I get it on Tuesday. Any word on MicroCenter's return policies. Will this work or should I just be patient?

Just wait those 3 days. Seriously.
It's not nice to do stuff like that, especially when you don't even have to wait HALF a week :)

Last week I picked up a corsair m65 mouse. I liked it except for how wide it was. After a few days though the wheel click started to stick so I swapped it out for a Sensei raw.

Two things bother me about this mouse. Biggest issue I'm hoping I can work around is that the dpi button isn't programmable. The other is the I kept pressing a button on the right side while trying to hold the right click button and move the mouse.

I can probably train myself to stop hitting the side button but is there any solution for programming the dpi button?

What do you mean? Do you want to know if you can add ANY macro/key to the DPI button? If that's the case, then I don't think so. Afaik DPI buttons are not used to be programmable, they are there to set the DPI, that's it.

It's not nice to do stuff like that, especially when you don't even have to wait HALF a week :)

What do you mean? Do you want to know if you can add ANY macro/key to the DPI button? If that's the case, then I don't think so. Afaik DPI buttons are not used to be programmable, they are there to set the DPI, that's it.

I could freely reassign the dpi buttons on the m65. I played some more titanfall this morning and I don't think I can get used to the buttons in the right. It's just how I hold a mouse. I am constantly holding/squeezing right where the buttons are

Ashhong

What's the issue? He's going to return an unopened psu to microcenter. No harm
No foul. I would do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom