• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay my previous post got lost, I no longer require an answer for that though, I might buy the new System(X99,I75820K).

I would just like to ask the more tech oriented folks on the following matters if someone has time to answer.

I currently have in my Cart the following DDR4:

1. Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CT2K8G4DFD8213 <<$259(AUD)

Should I get 32GB of this ram(I will be primarily using the system for gaming) will I need more then 16GB? I also want to ask if you guys think it is worth buying the following ram instead.($210 more then the crucial one)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR4 2800MHz Memory Black CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 <<< $469!!!!

Also I opted for the Asus X99 DELUXE which is <<< $569.00 would you guys recommend another motherboard, I have these on offering:

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 $399
MSI X99S Gaming 7 $439
Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING-5 $439

Possible system once someone helps me for the above 2 concerns:

PC:

PC Case : Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Case with Side Window $199.00
CPU Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Core LGA 2011-3 3.3GHz $449.00
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE Intel LGA 2011-3 ATX Motherboard $569.00
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CT8G4DFD8213 $259.00
Hard Drive(s) : Samsung 840 Pro 512GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-7PD512BW $379.00
Western Digital WD4003FZEX WD 4TB Black 3.5” 7200RPM $279.99
Power Supply:Corsair AX860 860W 80+ Platinum Modular Power Supply $288.00

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Multi-Socket PWM CPU Cooler $109.00
Optical Drives: LG 12x Internal SATA Retail Blu-Ray Combo Drive CH12NS30 $69.00

Any other suggestions is welcome, thanks guys if you guys are confused why I do not have a Video Card, its because I'll be using my SLI 4GB GTX 670's until the new Nvidia 9 series come out.

Everything you have is so far out of my price range I'm completely oblivious to what is even the best. As far as your RAM, you probably already know you don't need that much
I think you're just looking for validation from us :p

Only suggestion is maybe get a bigger PSU? You have such a beast planned out your bottleneck would honestly probably be dual SLI'd GPUs. Not to mention there are better PSUs for the money. I'd suggest something like the EVGA G2 1300w

As someone who just purchased a 5820k system, I'll give my input...
First of all, what's your goal for this system? Do you want the absolute best of the best?

Goal? Mainly to last me 4-5 or so years(excluding Graphic cards) for Gaming, I want something great but definitely not best.

When you say anything over 2133MHZ makes it stuck at 125 Strap, does that include the overclock of the memory? So standard 2133MHZ- strap is 100, overclock to 2400MHZ and strap is locked to 125 correct?

As for the motherboard,which would you recommend...heck which one did you buy?

There is an ASRock X99 Extreme3 on the site for $279, I only mentioned the above and the Asrock one as they are the only ones in stock, of course there is the Gigabyte UD3 in stock to.

Thank you so much man for replying, I want to get as much info as possible before I take the plunge.

Would the Air cooler I picked be good enough for at least 4.4GHZ? I would like it to be 4.6 or 4.5, however I know this is not the same as the 2600K which was an absolute ease to overclock.

Everything you have is so far out of my price range I'm completely oblivious to what is even the best. As far as your RAM, you probably already know you don't need that much
I think you're just looking for validation from us :p

Only suggestion is maybe get a bigger PSU? You have such a beast planned out your bottleneck would honestly probably be dual SLI'd GPUs. Not to mention there are better PSUs for the money. I'd suggest something like the EVGA G2 1300w

Haha yeah, I think 16GB it is, as for the PSU...I just have very good experience with Corsair PSU's, the only one from them that is higher is the 1200i which is $439.

However I will look into other brands, even if it takes me the whole night, thanks guys.

Goal? Mainly to last me 4-5 or so years(excluding Graphic cards), I want something great but definitely not best.

When you say anything over 2133MHZ makes it stuck at 125 Strap, does that include the overclock of the memory? So standard 2133MHZ- strap is 100, overclock to 2400MHZ and strap is locked to 125 correct?

As for the motherboard,which would you recommend...heck which one did you buy?

There is an ASRock X99 Extreme3 on the site for $279, I only mentioned the above and the Asrock one as they are the only ones in stock, of course there is the Gigabyte UD3 in stock to.

Thank you so much man for replying, I want to get as much info as possible before I take the plunge.

Would the Air cooler I picked be good enough for at least 4.4GHZ? I would like it to be 4.6 or 4.5, however I know this is not the same as the 2600K which was an absolute ease to overclock.

No problem, I enjoy trying to help. :)

I went with the MSI X99 SLI Plus. I was originally going to go with the ASRock Extreme4, but reviews recommended the MSI due to more ports and slightly better overall performance. The only problem with the MSI is that its sound chip is not very good, so if you're going with onboard sound then I would not get this motherboard, and I would probably go with the Extreme4, or perhaps the MSI Gaming 5. The Gigabyte UD4 should also be fine.

I believe that overclocking the memory would also raise the bclk strap, but I'm not 100% on that. I'll be able to test it out later today though. :)

The air cooler you picked is the best available air cooler. I see no reason it shouldn't be able to get you to 4.4 or 4.5 GHz, it performs about as well as a middle tier AIO closed loop water cooler. I personally went for the Corsair H110 AIO water cooler because I don't like a gigantic heavy heatsink putting that much pressure on my PC's motherboard, but unless you move your computer around a lot it should be fine.

This system should definitely last you 4-5 years. I'd say save some money on the motherboard by not getting the Asus Deluxe unless you really really want it, get the 16GB Corsair memory, and spend the money you save on graphics cards. That's what I'm doing. :)

Thank you so much Mordecai you and adamantypants kind of made me think a bit and I was thinking of changing from the corsair AX 860W to either one of these:

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2 $299
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 $259

Also from Asus X99 Deluxe to one of these:(is the extra $39 worth it for the slight extras on the Gaming 5?)

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 $399

Also I was going to go for the same setup as you Mordecai, however I read reviews on the H110 and honestly it was a bit loud for my tastes, I'm picky about that, the Air cooler was quieter while only being slightly worse at cooling.

Also I cant wait to see the result for the strap when you have time, it is making me curious if the overclock forces you into the 125 strap or not.

Thank you so much Mordecai you and adamantypants kind of made me think a bit and I was thinking of changing from the corsair AX 860W to either one of these:

Also from Asus X99 Deluxe to one of these:(is the extra $39 worth it for the slight extras on the Gaming 5?)

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 $399

Also I was going to go for the same setup as you Mordecai, however I read reviews on the H110 and honestly it was a bit loud for my tastes, I'm picky about that, the Air cooler was quieter while only being slightly worse at cooling.

Also I cant wait to see the result for the strap when you have time, it is making me curious if the overclock forces you into the 125 strap or not.

For the H110, plugging the fans into a PWM plug on your motherboard solves any noise issues you might have. :) Just have the bios control the fans on it and it should never be very loud. But as I said, the Noctua is a great cooler and you certainly won't go wrong with it!

As for the motherboards, having just looked over them I would not recommend the Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard, or the MSI Gaming 7. Both of them have the "Killer" ethernet port, which has caused problems for many people. Also, the Gigabyte uses the Sound Blaster Core 3D sound chip which is inferior to the Realtek 1150 chip. So I'd just save your money and go with the UD4.

Hope that helps!

Also, did you notice the two edits I had on my original post? I'd highly recommend changing your memory to 4x4GB sticks instead of 2x8GB sticks so you get quad channel!

Holy shit dude, where are you from? the G2 in both 1300w and 1000w variant are both going for $169 on Newegg. I recently just got one for my 295x2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...011&cm_re=supernova_g2-_-17-438-011-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...010&cm_re=supernova_g2-_-17-438-010-_-Product

and the P2 is $199

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438013&cm_re=evga_p2-_-17-438-013-_-Product

For the H110, plugging the fans into a PWM plug on your motherboard solves any noise issues you might have. :) Just have the bios control the fans on it and it should never be very loud. But as I said, the Noctua is a great cooler and you certainly won't go wrong with it!

As for the motherboards, having just looked over them I would not recommend the Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard, or the MSI Gaming 7. Both of them have the "Killer" ethernet port, which has caused problems for many people. Also, the Gigabyte uses the Sound Blaster Core 3D sound chip which is inferior to the Realtek 1150 chip. So I'd just save your money and go with the UD4.

Hope that helps!

Also, did you notice the two edits I had on my original post? I'd highly recommend changing your memory to 4x4GB sticks instead of 2x8GB sticks so you get quad channel!

Okay cool, I will go for the 4x4Gb sticks then, so right now I'm set on the GB UD4 unless my Asus fanboy mode kicks in and I just stuff it and stick with the X99 DELUXE. As for the cooler I will give the Noctua a try as I currently have the Noctua DH14 and it has served me well.

Welcome to Australia Brother, the land of high prices for everything, Still would the P2 be worth the extra $40 or should I stick with the G2?

EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2 for comparison is $329.

Thanks again Guys, I've been so tempted to order the system, my mouse keeps hovering over the order button :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You're comparing top end Gold rated PSUs above $200, shit doesn't matter much imo. If you don't have a reason to pick one out over another (colors, price, cables)...

I'd go Seasonic 760 Plat TBH if it was my system I know it should handle even SLI 980's so unless you are going more crazy than that it's whatever. Seasonics and XFX are cheaper in AUS IIRC comparatively as well.
VOjtaxw.png

I got this hilariously large CPU cooler today. My motherboard and CPU are set to arrive tomorrow afternoon. Scissors are there for size reference.

This is gonna be a very fun build. Haven't built a PC in over 10 years. The last one I just paid $50 for the guys to assemble there because I was lazy.

MoonGred

I got this hilariously large CPU cooler today. My motherboard and CPU are set to arrive tomorrow afternoon. Scissors are there for size reference.

This is gonna be a very fun build. Haven't built a PC in over 10 years. The last one I just paid $50 for the guys to assemble there because I was lazy.

That is one massive cooler. Photos when that is installed

Bumping. :p

Is the 5820K better than the 4790 without overclocking? I suppose that all the media-programs should benefit from the 6 cores anyway.

And in which cases should I go with 4x4GB RAM instead of 2x8GB?

So, I have to build a new PC for our office ( Adobe Suite, Video Editing, 3D, media, etc. ), no gaming.

I've currently two builds, any suggestions? The basic difference is that build #1 uses DDR4, Haswell-E and therefore another mainboard.
But I have to say that I don't know how to overclock and I don't wan't to use it. :p

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R (CC-9011014-WW) -- 54,85 € ----> (Edit: Maybe Carbide 400R)
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K, 6x 3.30GHz, boxed -- 342,88 €
Heat: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim -- 33,66 €
GPU: MSI N770 TF 2GD5/OC Twin Frozr Gaming, GeForce GTX 770, 2GB GDDR5 -- 272,85 €
RAM: Crucial DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2133, CL15-15-15 -- 173,90 €
Optical: Samsung SH-224DB schwarz, SATA, bulk -- 11,11 €
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3 -- 184,46 €
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB, SATA 6Gb/s -- 150,59 €
Power: Enermax Platimax 750W ATX 2.4 -- 134,87 € ----> (Edit: I think 600W is also enough for this build)

Total: 1.435,07 €

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R (CC-9011014-WW) -- 54,85 €
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790, 4x 3.60GHz, boxed -- 260,76 €
Heat: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim -- 33,66 €
GPU: MSI N770 TF 2GD5/OC Twin Frozr Gaming, GeForce GTX 770, 2GB GDDR5 -- 272,85 €
RAM: Crucial DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2133, CL15-15-15 -- 122,44 €
Optical: Samsung SH-224DB schwarz, SATA, bulk -- 11,11 €
Mainboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance -- 79,84 €
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB, SATA 6Gb/s -- 150,59 €
Power: Enermax Platimax 600W ATX 2.4 -- 113,27 €

Total: 1.174,89 €

wilflare

my current rig uses a
(1) 120GB SSD for OS
(2) 640GB WD Black (from 2009... so SATA2?) for Apps and Games

any suggestions on what I can change the 640GB to?
was thinking of a Hybrid Drive of maybe 1 or 2TB so I don't have to keep deleting and reinstalling my steam games

Raskett

Hi guys, could anyone please advise? I trust the people here the most and would really value your opinions.

I have been utilising Hazs spec sheet also :)

Your Current Specs: Macbook Pro, not really applicable in this context.

Budget: £2000 UK

Main Use: 5. Gaming 4. General usage 3. Emulation

Monitor Resolution: I just bought 2x Dell UltraSharp U2713HM (will probably pick up a third at some point). I want to play games on a single monitor at 2560x1440 (I think this is the top res this monitor can achieve) and occasionally play a game which spans all 3 monitors e.g. Eve online or whatever games I can play like this.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: All Blizzard games, pretty much all the top FPS games going backwards and forwards (2 years forwards), I also really like MMOs. I just want to be able to play the games the way they are meant to be played, decent resolution etc. Doesn't have to be a ridiculous framerate that my eyes will not even notice.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Corsair 750D ATX case (new), Corsair RM750 PSU (new), blu-ray drive (new).

When will you build?: ASAP (currently waiting for 980)

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, in the future

Additional: I would like to pickup the following:

i7 4790k
H80i cpu cooler
MX100 SSD 256
2x WD blue 1TB hard disks
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb
nvidia 980 (I realise tbc on the release date and specs etc)

So what do you guys think, any recommended changes or additions?

Also, is it worth me returning the Dell monitors and swapping out for one of the G-Sync ROG screens? People seem to be raving about them.

Any advice would be massively appreciated. Cheers Gaf.

Hi guys, could anyone please advise? I trust the people here the most and would really value your opinions.

Monitor Resolution: I just bought 2x Dell UltraSharp U2713HM (will probably pick up a third at some point). I want to play games on a single monitor at 2560x1440 (I think this is the top res this monitor can achieve) and occasionally play a game which spans all 3 monitors e.g. Eve online or whatever games I can play like this.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: All Blizzard games, pretty much all the top FPS games going backwards and forwards (2 years forwards), I also really like MMOs. I just want to be able to play the games the way they are meant to be played, decent resolution etc. Doesn't have to be a ridiculous framerate that my eyes will not even notice.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Corsair 750D ATX case (new), Corsair RM750 PSU (new), blu-ray drive (new).

i7 4790k
H80i cpu cooler
MX100 SSD 256
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb

Also, is it worth me returning the Dell monitors and swapping out for one of the G-Sync ROG screens? People seem to be raving about them.

Looks good, all you'll need left is a z97 motherboard.

The Gsync monitors are pretty expensive right now, and understandably so. I personally would wait until there is more competition on the market so that prices can go down.

Waiting for Nvidia's announcement is a good choice.

Raskett

Looks good, all you'll need left is a z97 motherboard.

The Gsync monitors are pretty expensive right now, and understandably so. I personally would wait until there is more competition on the market so that prices can go down.

Waiting for Nvidia's announcement is a good choice.

I missed the motherboard! - Maximus VII Ranger

Thanks very much for your advice! I really didn't want to go through with swapping out the monitors. Very much appreciated.

Hindl

Need help choosing motherboard. I'm getting the i7 5820K and I'm deciding between:

MSI X99 SLI Plus

or

ASRock X99 Extreme 4.

So which one gaf? I was gonna go with MSI but I found a bundle deal for the 5820K and ASrock for $499 thoughts?

Reckoner

What do you guys think of the Asus PA248Q monitor? Isn't it outdated and is it good for everything, even with the 6ms response time?

I ordered a VG248QE, but after trying I'm worried about these washed out colors and how they may affect my work.

Please, can someone give me an opinion on this?

I must trade it today if I decide so. I'm worried that my VG248QE may not be good enough to handle my multimedia work, so the PA248Q is the alternative I'm thinking of.

Btw, it is so hard going back to 60hz... :(

mkenyon

Banned
Need help choosing motherboard. I'm getting the i7 5820K and I'm deciding between:

MSI X99 SLI Plus

or

ASRock X99 Extreme 4.

So which one gaf? I was gonna go with MSI but I found a bundle deal for the 5820K and ASrock for $499 thoughts?
Does one or the other have features that you want/need?

I personally don't like the lower quality of components that ASRock uses for a high end enthusiast system. Thin PCB, lower quality traces, poor heat dissipation, etc.

Please, can someone give me an opinion on this?

I must trade it today if I decide so. I'm worried that my VG248QE may not be good enough to handle my multimedia work, so the PA248Q is the alternative I'm thinking of.

Btw, it is so hard going back to 60hz... :(

I run a dual monitor setup. The 144hz monitor has colours faded but it runs games super well which is perfect. The 60hz monitor is an IPS monitor that looks FUCKING AMAZING in terms of image quality so I use it for movies and web browsing. There is a noticeable speed dip in games though but for everyday use it's awesome. Gun to my head, I stick with the 144hz monitor if I had to pick but it'd be real hard to give up my Ultrasharp.

MSI X99 SLI Plus

or

ASRock X99 Extreme 4.

I was deciding between these two motherboards myself. I went with the MSI due to a couple more features, however do note that the sound chip on the MSI is poor so if you're going with onboard sound I highly recommend not getting it.

Bumping. :p

Is the 5820K better than the 4790 without overclocking? I suppose that all the media-programs should benefit from the 6 cores anyway.

And in which cases should I go with 4x4GB RAM instead of 2x8GB?

The 5820k will be slower in most current games without overclocking, but not by much. There is a strong possibility that it will be faster in the future as games become able to use more cores, but it's not guaranteed. The 5820k should be easy to overclock to match the performance of the 4790, however, so I'd definitely consider that. That's what I went with anyway. :)

i7 4790k
H80i cpu cooler
MX100 SSD 256
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb

With the price of the rest of your components, I'd recommend looking into 16GB of RAM, but other than that it looks just fine. :)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
FYI from BST thread

Wts:

x3 GTX 770 4gb (PNY or EVGA ) $220 shipped each

I am GAF GOLD and I take pretty much all forms of payment and I ship priority. Some cases I ship next day. If interested, please me me. If you buy more than 1, I will ship next day shipping :)

Reckoner

I run a dual monitor setup. The 144hz monitor has colours faded but it runs games super well which is perfect. The 60hz monitor is an IPS monitor that looks FUCKING AMAZING in terms of image quality so I use it for movies and web browsing. There is a noticeable speed dip in games though but for everyday use it's awesome. Gun to my head, I stick with the 144hz monitor if I had to pick but it'd be real hard to give up my Ultrasharp.

I ended up sending it back. Going to see if I can trade it for the PA248Q. It would be really expensive for now to run on a dual monitor setup. Maybe another time I'll get that chance.

But, yeah... So painful going back to 60hz. I guess monitors with good colors. low response time and refresh rate are far ahead. :(

Here's what I'm thinking now:

CPU: i7 5820K
Cooling: Swiftech H220X
MB: MSI X99S SLI Plus
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: 2x Crucial MX100 512GB
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W (SLI is still something I may attempt in the future)
GPU: GTX 980
Case: Phanteks &#8220;Enthoo Pro series&#8221; PH-ES614PC_BK

I was considering the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, but now I think I'm going to wait for a 1080p@144/120hz GSync monitor, hopefully IPS. I'll just deal with my current 1200p@60hz IPS until one becomes available.

I guess I'm least confident in the case selection, since I'm considering water cooling and I've never had to deal with it before.

ricki42

You could get the Eizo Foris FG2421. It's spendy, but has great colors, amazing contrast, and 120 Hz with native strobing.

I was considering that one before going with the Asus VG248QE, but then I read a number of reviews from people getting bad panels (stuck pixels, edge bleeding, cross hatching), and complaining about lack of quality control. I decided against this monitor because I didn't want to play 'panel roulette' (more than I have to anyway), though that might just have been teething problems. Has this gotten better? Or was this never really a widespread problem to begin with? Has anyone here had problems with the monitor?

Water

I was considering that one before going with the Asus VG248QE, but then I read a number of reviews from people getting bad panels (stuck pixels, edge bleeding, cross hatching), and complaining about lack of quality control. I decided against this monitor because I didn't want to play 'panel roulette' (more than I have to anyway), though that might just have been teething problems. Has this gotten better? Or was this never really a widespread problem to begin with? Has anyone here had problems with the monitor?
I doubt there have been widespread, big problems. You are hearing from the people who had a problem, while the satisfied users say nothing. And perfection isn't a reasonable expectation with consumer grade displays. I see people freaking out over something like a couple of dead subpixels in a display with 6+ million of them, even though they are impossible to even notice outside specifically testing for it with flat red/green/blue images, and are within spec as far as warranty is concerned.

My FG2421 has no stuck subpixels, no dead subpixels and no edge bleeding. I can see a bit of crosshatching but I think that's a feature of the panel type rather than a defect in a specific display. Likewise for the slight VA gamma shift in the region of the display (usually center) you are viewing head on.

Danlord

Current Rig
Laptop. You don't need to ask.

Potential PC
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
GPU: N/A *
SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W **
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2133MHz ***
Optical: LG GH24NSB0 DVD Drive
Case: CoolerMaster Force 500
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 2013
HDD: N/A ****

Current Price: £776 (Components nearly all from CCL Computers)
I'm not factoring in a budget per se, but I would really like not to break the £1000 barrier. I am liking the components I already have, but I'm open to changing some components if there's any better alternatives.

* - I'm waiting on nVidia to announce the 900 series GPU's and I've seen the leaked benchmark thread and some posts and I'm possibly getting the GTX 970, I'm just curious to the price and whether or not to wait, I can use the onboard GPU for now as I won't be bothering with gaming straight away and ASUS claim I can run at 4K with that, so doing normal work at 1080p or 900p will be enough (it's enough for my current laptop onboard which is 4+ year old) By the time the GPU comes out, I will have a bit more cash to spend on it.

** - The current build should be enough, factor in a GTX 970 and it will be pushing more power, but will this be enough if hypothetically I get 2 x GTX 970's for SLi ???

*** - 16GB I don't think I'll be pushing, but I'll be getting another 16GB in January so I will have the maximum the board will allow.

**** - After my rig is fully built including a GPU, I will buy a HDD to store everything on, I'm looking at the WD 3TB HDD and that would be so much more space than I could possibly use through my activities but I'm happy to have the surplus just incase.

Main Use;
3D Modelling - Maya
UDK & UE4 possibly.
Video Editing.
Gaming - (Skyrim, FFXIII, UT99, Valve games) I'm not a big PC gamer however I have games that I do want to play on PC mostly for Modding, like Skyrim)

Monitor Resolution;
32'' Samsung LED TV @ 1080p. I'm not factoring in a monitor, my space is quite limited and my TV is a pretty decent Samsung and it plays games well (I use it for my PS4) so I'm not bothered about getting a monitor.

Overclocking?;
I've chosen the 4790K as the budget allows me to stretch further from the i5 I had chosen before so I've gone for this CPU as well as the closed-loop watercooler. I've overclocked my old PC before I got rid of it, and I was quite comfortable doing that, however this PC is going to be much more expensive than that and an i7 is much different from the ones I used before.

What speeds could I possibly get from an overclock that would yield significant performance improvements over stock 4GHz that would be worth sacrificing more head/power usage and a short while prime95 the PC to create a stable build, especially as I'll be rendering things frequently from Maya which maxes out all cores?

Specific Apps
I don't really have any doubts it can run specific applications that I need for Uni, my laptop currently does moderately well for the bag of crap it currently is but I'll list the applications I'll be using, and then the games I'll be running including mod support.

Apps.
Autodesk Maya.
Visual Studio
Autodesk Mudbox (maybe)
UDK and Unreal Engine 4.

Games. - (will be played most frequently)
Final Fantasy XIII. As long as it runs 1080p60 with 16xAF I'm happy.
Skyrim - Mods. Heavy modding. I already have a Skyrim Nexus account with a few dozen mods favourited.
Don't Starve. Light modding.
UT 99.

I think I've chosen a good rig, however I'll be open to suggestions and if there's any more information that I could provide I'll be sure to reply.

Hindl

I was deciding between these two motherboards myself. I went with the MSI due to a couple more features, however do note that the sound chip on the MSI is poor so if you're going with onboard sound I highly recommend not getting it.

Yeah I feel like that was what I was gonna get anyway, it was a savings of only $30 or so dollars. If ASRock has components of lower quality then I guess investing the extra money would be worth it. And I think I'll eventually be looking into a custom sound card, but I'll leave it out of my initial build thanks

Durante

I just put together my new system (it was quite a bit harder and more work than I expected, but I'll post more about that later). The good news is that it booted on my first try. The bad news is that my PS/2 keyboard seems not to be recognized by the UEFI, so I can't do anything other than stare at the nice screen telling me which button does what.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this?

I just put together my new system (it was quite a bit harder and more work than I expected, but I'll post more about that later). The good news is that it booted on my first try. The bad news is that my PS/2 keyboard seems not to be recognized by the UEFI, so I can't do anything other than stare at the nice screen telling me which button does what.

I have, I rebooted with the keyboard connected and it recognized it the second time, though.

mkenyon

Banned

Update UEFI?

A lot of the X99 boards shipped with pretty early versions that are buggy. It should have mouse support to at least allow you to do that.

*edit*

Also, if you have a PS2->USB dongle, try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom