• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
If I can't get beyond the initial boot screen it's kind of hard to update uefi ;)
Riiiiight, no DEL key on the mouse.

Yeah, try a PS/2->USB dongle, or a different keyboard if possible.

*edit*

Sorry for another edit, but a popular feature these days is a "Direct to BIOS" type button on the physical board. Not sure if yours has one, but perhaps?

Durante

Tried all keyboards I have access to right now, but all are PS/2 and none work. Guess I'll get a USB keyboard tomorrow.

Strangely I can't find anything about this on the internet.

I'm looking for some help if possible

I'm looking at 2 possible PC builds...

i5 4590 CPU
ASUS H81M-D/E Motherboard
GeForce GTX 770 Graphics
8 GB 1600 RAM
600W PSU

vs

i5 4690 CPU
GIGABYTE Z97X-SLI Motherboard
Radeon R9 290X Graphics
8 GB 1866 RAM
750W PSU

I'm looking for some advice on the differences between the graphics cards. Is one considerably better than the other? I can actually get the second build cheaper but I'm new to all of this and I want to choose something solid.

ricki42

Tried all keyboards I have access to right now, but all are PS/2 and none work. Guess I'll get a USB keyboard tomorrow.

Strangely I can't find anything about this on the internet.

Total shot in the dark (and apologies in advance if this is stupid) but are you sure it's the keyboard that's the problem and not something else causing it to hang/crash? I don't know what else you have connected, but have you tried if you can get into the BIOS with just the mobo + 1 stick of RAM?

Durante

Total shot in the dark (and apologies in advance if this is stupid) but are you sure it's the keyboard that's the problem and not something else causing it to hang/crash? I don't know what else you have connected, but have you tried if you can get into the BIOS with just the mobo + 1 stick of RAM?
Actually, I just tried it with a USB keyboard, and no luck there either. So you might be right. The thing is, I only have the keyboard and my monitor connected. I guess I could try to remove everything internal except for the GPU.

mkenyon

Banned

i5 4590 CPU
GeForce GTX 770 Graphics
8 GB 1600 RAM
600W PSU

vs

i5 4690 CPU
Radeon R9 290X Graphics
8 GB 1866 RAM
750W PSU

I'm looking for some advice on the differences between the graphics cards. Is one considerably better than the other? I can actually get the second build cheaper but I'm new to all of this and I want to choose something solid.
Wait, because NVIDIA is launching new cards in 3 hours.

You want a "K" CPU though.

Durante

So, I removed all RAM except for one stick, removed all PCIe cards except for the GPU, and disconnected all HDDs.

No change in behaviour. (But I have observed a significant change in my mood)
I get up to the boot screen which prompts me to press F2 or Del for UEFI, F11 for boot options etc. and then nothing.

Any other ideas?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
So, I removed all RAM except for one stick, removed all PCIe cards except for the GPU, and disconnected all HDDs.

No change in behaviour. (But I have observed a significant change in my mood)
I get up to the boot screen which prompts me to press F2 or Del for UEFI, F11 for boot options etc. and then nothing.

Any other ideas?

Sorry if I missed it but what mobo are you rolling with now?

mkenyon

Banned
It's an ASRock X99 Extreme4.
I googled for a bit but couldn't find anything similar to my issue.
Try different USB ports perhaps? Unplug and replug once it's on the screen even.

Also, looks like it actually has two UEFI/BIOS installations. Check out page 20 in the manual. Try the backup.

Durante

Try different USB ports perhaps? Unplug and replug once it's on the screen even.

Also, looks like it actually has two UEFI/BIOS installations. Check out page 20 in the manual. Try the backup.
I tried the former. 2 different USB2 and USB3 ports each. Will try the latter, thanks for that idea.

Edit: tried it, no change. Will try a different USB keyboard tomorrow, I've had enough for today.

mkenyon

Banned
:(

Sorry. I honestly know that feel. Had the same thing happen with my Z87 Gryphon board. The only thing that fixed it was updating BIOS with their EZ Update thingie. Took me about 12 hours to get to that point though.

SmartBase

Finally came to my senses and went with a 4790k for gaming instead of a 5820k. Also managed to buy 2 slightly used R9 290 cards for the price of a single 780.

wp_20140918_22_55_27_wwsuo.jpg

Soon

georgc

Hey all what should I get if I wanted to use headphones as my main audio on my PC. Does dobly headphone still exist or is there something better? I rather have two speakers and emulate the surround then go with the multi speakers in one can. What the best headphone and should I go software or hardware for the mixer? Budget is 200 usd for both

So here's a question that just rolled into my mind. What's the difference between adjusting all my settings on a per-game basis, instead of just using the nvidia control panel for the universal settings? Do some games ignore the control panel? Do games give different results from one method or another?

So I signed up for steam for the impending move to pc and already I seen games I want to play

Edit: New build prospect, I was fortunate to up my budget so tell me opinions on this

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vkftkL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vkftkL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 285 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red)
ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $718.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 23:20 EDT-0400

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Buying a Titan six months after release, and I would have never guessed it would have actually felt like it was still top of the line near a year later.

Don't get me wrong, the 680 is a great card and a great deal. But I still feel like the Titan was a great value - it has had a long life as a top performer.

Now I'm thinking 2 970s may be the way to go. I don't know. I have a feeling the 970s are going to sell out quick and then the price gouging will begin.

Tablo

Shit, when the 980 Asus Strix comes out, it's gonna be hard to resist. Only thing keeping me back is that I'm starting college lol
Prob ride out 670 longer.

jabuseika

i5 4590 CPU
GeForce GTX 770 Graphics
8 GB 1600 RAM
600W PSU

vs

i5 4690 CPU
Radeon R9 290X Graphics
8 GB 1866 RAM
750W PSU

Wait for new Graphics cards being announced today, prices might shift.

Always go with the intel CPUs with a K at the end. Of those 2 I would go with the i5 devil's canyon 4690k, I just build a pc with it, it runs much cooler, is clocked higher starting out, and it'll be much easier to OC if you ever feel like it.

killatopak

Gold Member
A little help guys.

So I was looking for some 2nd hand PC and I had come across this build.

Basically he's selling me that for $560.

Worth it or should I look for others/buy new?

appaws

Banned
That Asus 970 for $339 seems like about the best deal around. Wow.

Best news of the night, since the Scots betrayed William Wallace once again.

wilflare

my current rig uses a
(1) 120GB SSD for OS
(2) 640GB WD Black (from 2009... so SATA2?) for Apps and Games

any suggestions on what I can change the 640GB to?
was thinking of a Hybrid Drive of maybe 1 or 2TB so I don't have to keep deleting and reinstalling my steam games

anyone?

I would look for 2TB hard regular hard drive at the minimum. Current gen games are hitting the 30-60 GB mark. When you combine that with your media files, your TB goes fast.

I was running a 3TB setup (1TB and 2TB respectively). Both drives got down to ~120 GB of space pretty quick and I was using one just for media files and the other for video games and apps.

My current build has a 500 GB SSD for Windows and important apps. 1TB for games. 2TB for media and I still think I'm going to need an upgrade soon since the HDDs are getting old.

M3z_

Welp, looks like I'll be selling my EVGA Geforce GTX 780 SC and buying a GTX 980.

Unless you are just lusting for new gear or experiencing lower than desired performance it is really kind of a questionable upgrade. Not only is the increase not huge but the gtx 970 just made your 780 worth considerably less on the resale market especially as GPU's flood the resale market to subsize new cards.

MoonGred

So I'm not too sure what to do now.
A) get a 980 for 800aud
B) get a 970 for 528aud
C) hold out a year, and wait for the "big" upgrade.

When I built my pc I got the cheapest 760 I could find with the mindset of upgrading to a x80 when it released. Would the 300$ price difference offer enough performance?
Regardless of what I do if the jump in performance is that big next year I'll cave and buy another one.
I guess it's the game we all signed up for.

georgc

Hey all what should I get if I wanted to use headphones as my main audio on my PC. Does dobly headphone still exist or is there something better? I rather have two speakers and emulate the surround then go with the multi speakers in one can. What the best headphone and should I go software or hardware for the mixer? Budget is 200 usd for both

Suggestions?

Also is 35c hot for a 4690k idle in a 73° room?
EDIT: Cooler 212 evo, No OC

I did it guys, I took the plunge and spent a fortune but this system will not be changing for 5 years at the least, I just have to work overtime :)

PC:

PC Case : Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Case with Side Window $199.00
CPU Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Core LGA 2011-3 3.3GHz $449.00
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 $399.00
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2133MHz $269.00
Hard Drive(s) : Samsung 840 EVO 1TB $475.00
Western Digital WD4003FZEX WD 4TB Black 3.5” 7200RPM $279.99
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2 $299
Video Cards: MSI GeForce GTX 970 SLI $1038
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Multi-Socket PWM CPU Cooler $109.00
Optical Drives: LG 12x Internal SATA Retail Blu-Ray Combo Drive $69.00

Total: $3585(AUD)!!!!

Only Thing Im hoping is this CPU overclocks to 4.4-4.5GHZ and these MSI GTX 970's overclock good as well. I saw some benchmarks for the Gigabyte vs MSI and I thought paying $10 extra per card for 1-2fps increase is not worth it, when I can overclock it myself.

I hope I don't regret this,Money isn't an issue as the Holiday I planned to go this year is canceled as I'm waiting for Family to be ready, however I'm worried about how long until this system starts showing its age.(Hopefully not before 4 years at least)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I'm not too sure what to do now.
A) get a 980 for 800aud
B) get a 970 for 528aud
C) hold out a year, and wait for the "big" upgrade.

When I built my pc I got the cheapest 760 I could find with the mindset of upgrading to a x80 when it released. Would the 300$ price difference offer enough performance?
Regardless of what I do if the jump in performance is that big next year I'll cave and buy another one.
I guess it's the game we all signed up for.
Honestly the 760 is a great card and AUS pricing is pretty harsh for you, you can look to pickup maybe some used 780's or wait for 770/780 price drop to fill in that giant $300AUD gap.
Suggestions?

Also is 35c hot for a 4690k idle in a 73° room?
EDIT: Cooler 212 evo, No OC
There are some Headphones in the OP and link to the headphone thread. A ton of people use headphones for PC gaming.

Idle temps are fine, keep load under 75C and you're good.
I did it guys, I took the plunge and spent a fortune but this system will not be changing for 5 years at the least, I just have to work overtime :)

PC:

PC Case : Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Case with Side Window $199.00
CPU Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Core LGA 2011-3 3.3GHz $449.00
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 $399.00
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2133MHz $269.00
Hard Drive(s) : Samsung 840 EVO 1TB $475.00
Western Digital WD4003FZEX WD 4TB Black 3.5” 7200RPM $279.99
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2 $299
Video Cards: MSI GeForce GTX 970 SLI $1038
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Multi-Socket PWM CPU Cooler $109.00
Optical Drives: LG 12x Internal SATA Retail Blu-Ray Combo Drive $69.00

Total: $3585(AUD)!!!!

Only Thing Im hoping is this CPU overclocks to 4.4-4.5GHZ and these MSI GTX 970's overclock good as well. I saw some benchmarks for the Gigabyte vs MSI and I thought paying $10 extra per card for 1-2fps increase is not worth it, when I can overclock it myself.

I hope I don't regret this,Money isn't an issue as the Holiday I planned to go this year is canceled as I'm waiting for Family to be ready, however I'm worried about how long until this system starts showing its age.(Hopefully not before 4 years at least)
I think you'll be OK. 2500K is still going strong.

I ended up seeing reason in the end and went with GTX 970... But I bought 2 of the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming cards. Now I need to order all of the other parts later today.

How do you manage games when using an SSD drive? I am getting a 256GB SSD and wondered whether I should just move games onto it as-and-when I need them or get Steam to point to my HDD for a lot of the games.

Some games will be kept on the SSD due to longish load times being aided but it seems sort of pointless to have a lot of my other games on the SSD.

Just wondered really...

kharma45

Sneaky suspicion that I might trade my 7850 for a 970. Uses a tad more power by the looks of it but my 430w unit should still be plenty. Helps when it can put out over 500w too.

What sort of price does a barely used R7 265 go for (this one)?

If I upgrade my 670 to a 970 I am putting it into my secondary PC (where I currently have the 265). Recouping some money would aid my decision even if it seems completely frivolous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom