• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinbo37

So my computer parts are filtering in..

3NK8pI1l.jpg

I7-4790k, 32 gb of ram, 2 GTX980s, and an Asus ROG Swift monitor should do me for a while!

Damn Im jelly. Sounds like a nice setup.

RGM79

Thank you! She does need the optical drive (her current one is really old and she still uses it), but as for the sound, she does not need it.

EDIT: Anything else I should do or can I send this to her?

Wait, hang on, I doubled checked the case and air cooler compatibility and the Phanteks air cooler I recommended won't really fit together, it's apparently 1mm too tall (170mm clearance in the case while the cooler is 171mm tall). I guess you can just go back to the Noctua cooler. Here's the final list including the Noctua cooler and a cheaper DVD drive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($394.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($554.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Pink) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($25.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1550.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 17:45 EST-0500

LilJoka

Wait, hang on, I doubled checked the case and air cooler compatibility and the Phanteks air cooler I recommended won't really fit together, it's apparently 1mm too tall (170mm clearance in the case while the cooler is 171mm tall). I guess you can just go back to the Noctua cooler. Here's the final list including the Noctua cooler and a cheaper DVD drive.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($25.49 @ OutletPC)

PSU choice seems like an odd choice for the type of rig this is, and generally an overkill build here. Exactly whats the reason you think you need to go X99?

Standard 4790k GTX 980 and Seasonic G550 build would suffice. Even mATX considering you probably arent going to SLI with the part list above.

Guri

Thank you! I've removed the wireless adapter, since she said she doesn't need it. She is also undecided about storage capacity, but for that I can help her.

PSU choice seems like an odd choice for the type of rig this is, and generally an overkill build here. Exactly whats the reason you think you need to go X99?

Standard 4790k GTX 980 and Seasonic G550 build would suffice. Even mATX considering you probably arent going to SLI with the part list above.

She wants the best of what she can get for about that price range. Maybe even a bit more.

LilJoka

Thank you! I've removed the wireless adapter, since she said she doesn't need it. She is also undecided about storage capacity, but for that I can help her.

She wants the best of what she can get for about that price range. Maybe even a bit more.

Why not save your money and get a better GPU in a year. Rather than waste money on an X99 platform which is hardly benefiting this configuration.
X99 is great for somebody looking to SLI GTX 980's today and will probably be SLI'ing GTX 1080's on release. Or somebody doing heavy CPU work, like CAD or Video Editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($318.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz) Swap for Bitfenix Phenom
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1493.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 18:37 EST-0500

In this case ive gone for better PSU which makes up some of the price difference against the X99.

Guri

Why not save your money and get a better GPU in a year. Rather than waste money on an X99 platform which is hardly benefiting this configuration.
X99 is great for somebody looking to SLI GTX 980's today and will probably be SLI'ing GTX 1080's on release. Or somebody doing heavy CPU work, like CAD or Video Editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($318.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz) Swap for Bitfenix Phenom
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1493.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 18:37 EST-0500

In this case ive gone for better PSU which makes up some of the price difference against the X99.

She wants to do an upgrade this year. I chose a X99 in case she wants to upgrade to something better later. But thank you!

Grinchy

Banned
I got my 4-pack of 120mm fans today. I could only hook one of them up while I wait for my molex adapter. I hooked up the side fan, the one right next to my GPU. Just this one cheap little fan took 5-6C off my GPU's max temp whlie playing Far Cry 4. Not bad! I'm excited to get some proper airflow going on soon.

I need to do something about my CPU cooling. :\ Should I look into getting a different cooler? Maybe try different thermal grease and fan(s)? (I currently have the Hyper 212 EVO.)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Sooooo yeah, received the Corsair Carbine Series 540 and the CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 earlier today...

Beautiful case, give the feels of a Japan made PC although over-sized :) .The fans though are a little bit too loud for my taste. There's a Thermaltake Commander F5 fan controller on the way so woohoo! Separating the PSU from the heating parts is simply brilliant. Makes the cable management quite easy to deal with. But I need to replace my PSU ASAP for a modular one, noise with also be a key to my purchasing decision.

Replaced the Intel stock cooler that came with the 4690K wih the Evo 212. Not sure how much the new case accounts for the performance, but the idle temp is less than 5°C delta, right now around 27°C! That's compared to the Intel stock cooler in my now retired mid-tower that was roaming around 42°C at idle.

My build so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $259.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $34.89)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $119.00)
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $73.98)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $84.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $99.00)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card (Purchased For $369.00)
Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $142.30)
Power Supply: Logisys 550W ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $45.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $20.00)
Total: $1246.17

Not sure what to choose for a PSU, so recommendations are welcome.

I need to do something about my CPU cooling. :\ Should I look into getting a different cooler? Maybe try different thermal grease and fan(s)? (I currently have the Hyper 212 EVO.)

Whats the problem? I installed one recently with not too much trouble and its working great at cooling with a small overclock.

If you want to do it again (I know it sucks), one piece of advice I could give is to use a small pea sized amount of thermal paste, and once you apply the bottom of the cooler to the surface of the CPU, try to keep constant pressure down and dont let it lift. I also had to push down with a decent amount of force when screwing in the pegs, I almost felt a little uncomfortable.

Whats the problem? I installed one recently with not too much trouble and its working great at cooling with a small overclock.

If you want to do it again (I know it sucks), one piece of advice I could give is to use a small pea sized amount of thermal paste, and once you apply the bottom of the cooler to the surface of the CPU, try to keep constant pressure down and dont let it lift. I also had to push down with a decent amount of force when screwing in the pegs, I almost felt a little uncomfortable.
It isn't cooling that effectively under load and it seems the temp spikes (relatively speaking) at odd times. I could try reapplying it but I might just mess up again. :| Also I can't have much of the stock grease left at this point.

clem84

Gold Member
I am considering buying a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor and I need to know if my PC can take it. I would be using the monitor for general PC use, web browsing, multi-tasking, and also for watching movies. No gaming, for now. I need to know if my system can produce a 3440x1440 signal without it being a slideshow. I bought this PC in Feb 2011. It's 4 years old.

i7-2600 (3.4ghz, 4 cores)
8GB 1600mhz RAM
Sapphire R7 240 1GB (I got this last year)

Am I ok for this kind of monitor?

The Llama

I am considering buying a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor and I need to know if my PC can take it. I would be using the monitor for general PC use, web browsing, multi-tasking, and also for watching movies. No gaming, for now. I need to know if my system can produce a 3440x1440 signal without it being a slideshow. I bought this PC in Feb 2011. It's 4 years old.

i7-2600 (3.4ghz, 4 cores)
8GB 1600mhz RAM
Sapphire R7 240 1GB (I got this last year)

Am I ok for this kind of monitor?

Yeah, you'll be fine.

Martian

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask or even if this is allowed, but seeing as I got the advice from this direction I might as well.

Last summer I built a PC, and was told to go to reddit for a Windows code. I paid for it and everything was fine untill saturday: when Windows started telling me my copy wasnt genuine.
Is this a fault of microsoft or did I buy a fake copy (if so, why was I able to use it for 6 months).

Also: what should I do? Should I contact Microsoft?

Rivitur

Banned
Im confused I have a Serial ATA connect to my hard drive to the mother board. Do I also have to connect the SATA cable (with 3 connections on it) from my power supply directly to my hard drive as well or do I connect it to my mother board sata connection and then my hard drive? Or is the serial ATA to motherboard all I need? I don't know what's supposed to power up the hard drive :/

LilJoka

Im confused I have a Serial ATA connect to my hard drive to the mother board. Do I also have to connect the SATA cable (with 3 connections on it) from my power supply directly to my hard drive as well or do I connect it to my mother board sata connection and then my hard drive? Or is the serial ATA to motherboard all I need? I don't know what's supposed to power up the hard drive :/

SATA cable from Hard drive to Motherboard like this

SATA Power from Power Supply to Hard Drive like this

Ends up like so

It isn't cooling that effectively under load and it seems the temp spikes (relatively speaking) at odd times. I could try reapplying it but I might just mess up again. :| Also I can't have much of the stock grease left at this point.

Hmmm, without seeing your install I'm not really sure how to help. How much thermal paste are you using? You really only need a small pea sized amount in the center. Also if you don't keep constant pressure during install the heatsink can lift up and you'l form pockets in the paste application which will mess up the cooling.

Are you overlocking? What temperatures are you seeing?

Also have you verified that the fan is actually spinning on the cooler? Take your side panel off and watch it maybe. Also verify that you have the power cable plugged into the right spot.

Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you. I installed my evo 212 a few weeks ago and it cools awesomely. I even got up to near 1.4v during overclocking attempts and it was keeping the temps at mid 60s.

Human_me

So I have a 500gb SSD on the way.
Its the Crucial BX100 (Its my first SSD)

I was just wondering what the best way to transfer my OS and files?

Should I install a fresh OS on it? or us a clone program?

EDIT: Just found this guide on the first page I
However considering this is my first SSD is there any tips anyone would care to give me?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Intel i5-4590
Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz
Gigabyte H97M-D3H
MSI 290 4GB
EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Samsung DVD drive
NZXT H230
Windows 8.1 (OEM)

total price including delivery = £804.01

Any thoughts? budget is £800 so i've only slightly went over. £850 would be really pushing it cause I still need to buy a monitor and there is no way I can go over £1000 for computer + monitor.

I will be playing at 1080p and I'm not interesting in overclocking. I will also add parts as time goes on such as SSD, WiFi adapter, more fans etc. The longer the build can last me the better. I want to be able to play upcoming games at a decent quality. 1080p, 30-60fps, medium+ settings.

question....

I have an:

I5 2500k oc'd to 4.5GHz
BenQ 24" monitor
8 GB RAM
GTX 980

My BenQ has 120Hz and 144Hz. Is there any benefit of using the 144 setting instead of 120?

Window

Looking to build my first PC and this thread has been of immense help. A couple questions:

Will a EVGA Hadron containing a EVGA 970 FTW and an i5 4960k overclocked at about 4.5 GHz with a Noctua NH-U9B cooler run too hot? Ambient temperature (indoors) can sometimes rise up to 30 degrees where I live. Any idea on how noisy it could potentially be? Also how is the 4960k for scientific computing (well mostly MATLAB and some simulations)?

mkenyon

Banned
No, it will not be too hot.

I'm not sure about those specific tasks, but the only other option would be the 4790K. Whether or not it outperforms the 4690K in those tasks is dependent upon whether or not they take advantage of hyperthreading.

I'm sure it does great, given the ITX constraints.

T.O.P

Banned
Update on my new pc

It came destroyed :( Brought it to a friend of mine for a quick check and that's what we saw inside (already contacted the Store and they were pretty much more pissed than me) i'm waiting for instruction on what to do tomorrow, sucksss

Can you even believe what drop could've done that? jesus christ

LilJoka

Looking to build my first PC and this thread has been of immense help. A couple questions:

Will a EVGA Hadron containing a EVGA 970 FTW and an i5 4960k overclocked at about 4.5 GHz with a Noctua NH-U9B cooler run too hot? Ambient temperature (indoors) can sometimes rise up to 30 degrees where I live. Any idea on how noisy it could potentially be? Also how is the 4960k for scientific computing (well mostly MATLAB and some simulations)?

Should be fine, i have a MSI 970 and 3770 @ 4.2Ghz with Hyper 212 in my Node 304 ITX case. Case fans medium and GPU/CPU fans at minimum.

Will be fine for Matlab too.

Update on my new pc

It came destroyed :( Brought it to a friend of mine for a quick check and that's what we saw inside (already contacted the Store and they were pretty much more pissed than me) i'm waiting for instruction on what to do tomorrow, sucksss

Wow
Is the motherboard trashed?

Window

No, it will not be too hot.

I'm not sure about those specific tasks, but the only other option would be the 4790K. Whether or not it outperforms the 4690K in those tasks is dependent upon whether or not they take advantage of hyperthreading.

I'm sure it does great, given the ITX constraints.

Should be fine, i have a MSI 970 and 3770 @ 4.2Ghz with Hyper 212 in my Node 304 ITX case. Case fans medium and GPU/CPU fans at minimum.

Will be fine for Matlab too.

Good to know. Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Update on my new pc

I'm not sure I follow. Was this shipped to you?

Also, for my sake of curiosity, what motherboard?

LilJoka

Same.

$10 says it's ASRock

Saying that, I have a PC that gets moved by car 150 miles a few times a year. It has a Thermaltake Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme CPU Cooler on an AsRock X79 board, but obviously it travels CPU Cooler side up so avoid any stress.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm not sure I follow. Was this shipped to you?

Also, for my sake of curiosity, what motherboard?

Yeah since i'm a noob in this kind of stuff, been using this website for like 10 years and never a problem, fuckin mail carrier did it all

jAdDhUe4jjlAx.jpg

that was my setup

only other pics i have on this pc but yeah the socket got crushed

LilJoka

Oh man i would have loved to see under the heatsink!!

Its one of those things, like people reporting how long their CPU lasted after a particular voltage and overclock. Hardly any data for how much damage a big CPU cooler can cause either.

Im betting it was literally thrown off the van or something though.

knitoe

Update on my new pc

It's a custom built PC that they shipped? With that huge cooler and it's weight, did it come with any to type of cushioning inside the PC. If it was me, I would have remove, at least, the cooler and video card before shipping it.

T.O.P

Banned
It's a custom built PC that they shipped? With that huge cooler and it's weight, did it come with any to type of cushioning inside the PC. If it was me, I would have remove, at least, the cooler and video card before shipping it.

The card was out that's why i went to a friend to help with the installation and the quality check

I'm gonna ask 'em to take out the cooler as well for the next shipment ffs

mkenyon

Banned
T.O.P, that sucks. Fuck that shipping company.
Saying that, I have a PC that gets moved by car 150 miles a few times a year. It has a Thermaltake Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme CPU Cooler on an AsRock X79 board, but obviously it travels CPU Cooler side up so avoid any stress.
They build their enthusiast motherboards a bit differently. I'm not kidding when I say I'm fearful of even bending the boards to get them to smash up to the rear I/O when building with them.

I've always said I'd never ever put one of those giant coolers on ASRock boards. Looks like that worst case scenario is in fact possible. :(

RGM79

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask or even if this is allowed, but seeing as I got the advice from this direction I might as well.

Last summer I built a PC, and was told to go to reddit for a Windows code. I paid for it and everything was fine untill saturday: when Windows started telling me my copy wasnt genuine.
Is this a fault of microsoft or did I buy a fake copy (if so, why was I able to use it for 6 months).

Also: what should I do? Should I contact Microsoft?

Try reactivating with the key again? Contact Microsoft and see what they say? I won't lie, the keys from the reddit page are somewhat of a grey area - Most other people haven't had problems with them, but in the end you're dealing with a person informally selling keys, and it's not approved by Microsoft in any way. If Microsoft tells you the key was blacklisted, then there's not much you can do - either buy the official retail version of Windows, or look for a slightly cheaper OEM/system builder version of Windows, or try your luck again with a different seller from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap.

Intel i5-4590
Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz
Gigabyte H97M-D3H
MSI 290 4GB
EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Samsung DVD drive
NZXT H230
Windows 8.1 (OEM)

total price including delivery = £804.01

Any thoughts? budget is £800 so i've only slightly went over. £850 would be really pushing it cause I still need to buy a monitor and there is no way I can go over £1000 for computer + monitor.

I will be playing at 1080p and I'm not interesting in overclocking. I will also add parts as time goes on such as SSD, WiFi adapter, more fans etc. The longer the build can last me the better. I want to be able to play upcoming games at a decent quality. 1080p, 30-60fps, medium+ settings.

Where are you buying your parts from? I can see ways to cut costs, and you may be overpaying, I was able to spec out a similar build for £130 less. That's a lot of money - you could put that towards a better graphics card or something.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.70 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£70.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.82 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.50 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£74.20 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £680.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-17 20:03 GMT+0000

I was able to get most of the same parts with same performance as your listed build but was also able to add a CPU cooler and it cost just £680. I recommend the Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler as it'll do a much better job than the stock Intel cooler at noise and temperatures even if you won't be overclocking.

I think the 750 watt Supernova G2 you listed is a bit expensive for your build. It's an excellent power supply but you could save money dropping down to a cheaper yet still decent power supply like the Antec TPC model I listed. The 750 watt version of that power supply received praise from Jonny Guru in his review of it, and the entire TruePower Classic line is manufactured by Seasonic, a trusted brand for power supplies. About 600-650 watts is enough for the entire PC plus any future storage drives, fans, and add-in cards especially when you're not going to be overclocking, as 550-600 watts is enough for a normal R9 290 as tested by professional reviewers like Guru3D.

It'd be even cheaper if the DVD drive was dropped, Windows can be installed via USB drive anyway via the official Microsoft tool as long as you have the Windows license key.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Man, I regret not opting for a larger SSD. I went with a 240gb. Love this thing, wish I could use an SSD for main storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom