• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoxdonut

What are the specs of your old PC? Any more parts you can reuse from it? The parts you're looking at for an upgrade aren't bad, but there's no room left for a decent graphics card, especially if you are looking for medium-high 60FPS on the latest games.

Old PC
windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
4GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 650
Corsair CX 600W PSU
500GB hard drive

I've had my old PC since about 2005 the only thing I've upgraded for it was the new PSU and this graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650

would I be able to re-use the 500gb hard drive I've had?

RGM79

Old PC
windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650
Corsair CX 600W PSU
500GB hard drive

I've had my old PC since about 2005 the only thing I've upgraded for it was the new PSU and this graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650

would I be able to re-use the 500gb hard drive I've had?

Yes, you can definitely reuse the 500GB hard drive. Given the $600 budget, I'd consider dropping the SSD from your parts list and just going with a 1TB hard drive. What case do you have? I'd consider reusing that as well or maybe look for a cheaper case in the $50 range or lower.

It may also be possible to reuse the existing RAM. Can you run a program like HWInfo or Speccy on the old PC and provide the text or screenshot of the details for us?

neoxdonut

Yes, you can definitely reuse the 500GB hard drive. Given the $600 budget, I'd consider dropping the SSD from your parts list and just going with a 1TB hard drive. What case do you have? I'd consider reusing that as well or maybe look for a cheaper case in the $50 range or lower.

It may also be possible to reuse the existing RAM. Can you run a program like HWInfo or Speccy on the old PC and provide the text or screenshot of the details for us?

Could windows be copied onto an SSD from a hard drive later on?

I just have the standard Hp pavillion case the PC was bought with.

qJApHRl.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hey guys, I need some advice. I just bought a new GTX 960 and I have a couple of doubts. First thing comes from a bad experience that I had with my last graphics card. Due to my apartment being really old it sometimes suffers from blackouts whenever I use two or more devices with high resistance at the same time (microwave and washing machine for example) so I decided to get a UPS. I'm gonna buy a cheap one, the APC RS-500 230V, and I wanted to know if I should know something before hand about it, such as compatibilty with my current power supply which is a Corsair CX600M.
On the same page, I wanted to know if said power supply is enough to power my GTX 960 without any problems. To give you a full idea of my PC specs:

-i5 3570k
-6 GB RAM
-4 Fans

Is my power supply enough for all of this or should I consider a new one?

600w is more than enough. your i5 and 960 should use about 200W. 400W is enough to power everything else/overclock and leave a good amount of headroom. 500W would still be more than enough.

RGM79

Could windows be copied onto an SSD from a hard drive later on?

I just have the standard Hp pavillion case the PC was bought with.

qJApHRl.png

Yes, it's easy to clone a hard drive over to an SSD, there are free programs for that like Macrium Reflect, sometimes SSDs come bundled with free drive cloning and partitioning software as well.

Too bad it's not possible to reuse the old RAM and case, I was hoping you had DDR3 RAM and that the case wasn't an old proprietary prebuilt PC type. Taking everything else into consideration, here's what I recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($46.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video Card ($248.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.50 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $600.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 04:40 EDT-0400

Ideally the i5 4690K would be preferable because the ability to overclock would let it last longer before needing to be replaced, but it doesn't really fit your budget, so I recommend the i5 4460 paired with a cheaper B85 motherboard. Because the motherboard is a microATX model with just two RAM slots, I decided to recommend 1x8GB for now, that will allow you to add a second 1x8GB module in the future for 16GB of RAM total. If you live near a Microcenter store, they offer the i5 4690K and ASRock Z97 Pro4 motherboard as an in-store bundle deal for $250 which is quite a good price, but still somewhat difficult to fit into your budget.

The R9 290 graphics card will be able to handle current and some future games at 60FPS at high-ish settings for the next few years. Fitting in the graphics card means you can't get the SSD now and will have to go with a cheaper case, but unless you don't mind continuing to use your GTX 650, then there's not much else in terms of options. The Toshiba 1TB hard drive is just a few dollars cheaper and should perform about the same as the WD Blue 1TB drive. The Silverstone case is cheap, but functional.

Kudo

Any benefits to being hasty pants and getting X99 Haswell-E now or should I just calm down and wait for the Z170 Skylake?
Got the Antec P280 case and looking at it just makes me want to get over the upgrade already.. Currently running i5-750, 4gb DDR3, GTX 670 and no SSD so it's painful.

RGM79

Any benefits to being hasty pants and getting X99 Haswell-E now or should I just calm down and wait for the Z170 Skylake?
Got the Antec P280 case and looking at it just makes me want to get over the upgrade already.. Currently running i5-750, 4gb DDR3, GTX 670 and no SSD so it's painful.

Depends on what you'll be doing with the PC and how much you can afford to spend. Haswell-E is the enthusiast platform and so going that route means you'll be spending more money on a hexa core processor and higher end motherboard. Z170 will be for the mainstream consumer platform so it should cost a fair bit less than an X99 based PC.

I suppose in the longer run, a hexa core CPU can have a longer useful life than a quad core CPU, especially if you overclock it and future software is better threaded to handle multiple cores. DX12 is promising, but I wonder how far they'll deliver on that promise.

Hey guys, I'm looking into picking up a new monitor, as my current LG 1080P's colours have .. I dunno, diminished over the past 12 months.

I'm trying to decide between the Asus VG248QE and BenQ XL2411Z monitors listed in the OP.

I've a high i5, 8GB ram (might jump to 16 at the same time), R9 280X (will probably upgrade later in the year).

Does anyone have any advice on which to get?

Kudo

Depends on what you'll be doing with the PC and how much you can afford to spend. Haswell-E is the enthusiast platform and so going that route means you'll be spending more money on a hexa core processor and higher end motherboard. Z170 will be for the mainstream consumer platform so it should cost a fair bit less than an X99 based PC.

I suppose in the longer run, a hexa core CPU can have a longer useful life than a quad core CPU, especially if you overclock it and future software is better threaded to handle multiple cores. DX12 is promising, but I wonder how far they'll deliver on that promise.

Nothing particular that would require the 6-cores, but I do want the computer to last long. Think my current build is around 5 years old or so if not counting the GPU so fever is high for upgrading it.
Do you think single core Skylake will perform better than Haswell-E? If yes, I can wait.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey guys, I'm finally gonna abandon the 4gB RAM Club.

I read that the FX6300 can support up to 1866mhz RAM but I can't seem to find a definite answer. 1666mhz is a sure bet though.
My motherboard supports 2000Mhz+ (Whatever that may mean :p)

So for gaming, do you really need faster than 1666mhz for RAM? Hell, do you even need faster than 1333?

RGM79

Nothing particular that would require the 6-cores, but I do want the computer to last long. Think my current build is around 5 years old or so if not counting the GPU so fever is high for upgrading it.
Do you think single core Skylake will perform better than Haswell-E? If yes, I can wait.

Hard to say, given that Skylake is still months away. Overclocking would negate any comparisons at stock clocks though. It's possible for an overclocked 4690K/4790K to beat a stock clocked 5820K in some games, for example. Currently, not many games are coded well enough to take advantage of multiple cores, and how well game performance scales to multiple cores will varies according to each game.

To put it simply, I dunno. You won't be disappointed with the performance of Haswell-E, so whether or not to go with it is just a matter of how much money you want to spend versus how long you can wait.

Kayant

I read that the FX6300 can support up to 1866mhz RAM but I can't seem to find a definite answer. 1666mhz is a sure bet though.

So for gaming, do you really need faster than 1666mhz for RAM?

You will be fine. Ram speed does very little for gaming performance expect when it comes to integrated graphics where it can matter quite a bit.
http://techbuyersguru.com/ramspeedgaming2.php
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=63&v=dWgzA2C61z4&ab_channel=LinusTechTips

RGM79

So for gaming, do you really need faster than 1666mhz for RAM? Hell, do you even need faster than 1333?

Not really. It's more cost-effective to add to your existing RAM than to replace it entirely with higher speed RAM. Memory bandwidth is improved with higher speed RAM, but it's not like there are many games that are limited by memory bandwidth in the first place. Tom's Hardware did their own test with several different kits of RAM at varying speeds on an AMD system and it amounted to minimal performance differences.
image014.png
image011.png
image005.png

In the end, Tom's Hardware's reviewer said that if it's for a new system, then get high speed RAM if it's at a good price. However in your case you'd be replacing 4GB of existing RAM for a very minor performance improvement.

You didn't state your system specs, so I assume you have 2x2GB and you still have two empty slots to add more RAM. It would be cheaper to buy an kit of matching 2x4GB RAM so you can have 12GB total, rather than buying a new set of high speed 16GB RAM.

Talax

Between the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0, which is better? Price doesn't matter I'm just asking about OC, Temperatures, Noise etc. And does the coil whine problem exist on this model of EVGA?

RGM79

Between the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0, which is better? Price doesn't matter I'm just asking about OC, Temperatures, Noise etc. And does the coil whine problem exist on this model of EVGA?

The FTW+ is superior going by the specs like higher clock speed and having a backplate included by default. Temperatures are harder to gauge because there's no direct comparison between the two, but I think the FTW+ has somewhat better cooling.

EVGA has apparently cracked down on the problem according to EVGA's Jacob Freeman (I assume all manufacturers have), but I think customer's problems with coil whine is more of a case by case basis rather than being totally universal. Some don't notice it, some can tell easily, and everyone has different operating environments and use cases so sound levels will be different.

Kayant

Not sure about coil whine but you can't go wrong with either as both have slient mode settings where the fan doesn't start spinning until 60C. OC is an extremely variable thing so there is no definite answer to which OCs better. Just go with which ever brand/model you like better IMO.

As RGM79 said the Evga is higher clocked out of the box so is sightly faster in terms of factory performance.

Talax

The FTW+ is superior going by the specs like higher clock speed and having a backplate included by default. Temperatures are harder to gauge because there's no direct comparison between the two, but I think the FTW+ has somewhat better cooling.

EVGA has apparently cracked down on the problem according to EVGA's Jacob Freeman (I assume all manufacturers have), but I think customer's problems with coil whine is more of a case by case basis rather than being totally universal. Some don't notice it, some can tell easily, and everyone has different operating environments and use cases so sound levels will be different.

Ok looks like EVGA is a good option then. Haven't seen many say they have the EVGA cards so I was wondering if there's any reason people are avoiding it.

Not sure about coil whine but you can't go wrong with either as both have slient mode settings where the fan doesn't start spinning until 60C. OC is an extremely variable thing so there is no definite answer to which OCs better. Just go with which ever brand/model you like better IMO.

As RGM79 said the Evga is higher clocked out of the box so is sightly faster in terms of factory performance.

I'm building a rig for the first time so I don't have any personal preference of brand actually. That's why I decided to make sure whether any of these two have any problem.

Thanks both of you. :)

Kayant

Ok looks like EVGA is a good option then. Haven't seen many say they have the EVGA cards so I was wondering if there's any reason people are avoiding it.

I'm building a rig for the first time so I don't have any personal preference of brand actually. That's why I decided to make sure whether any of these two have any problem.

Thanks both of you. :)

So was I in December last year ;). The reason there is not much impressions is because the evga is a relatively new model that was releases a month or 2 ago.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not really. It's more cost-effective to add to your existing RAM than to replace it entirely with higher speed RAM. Memory bandwidth is improved with higher speed RAM, but it's not like there are many games that are limited by memory bandwidth in the first place. Tom's Hardware did their own test with several different kits of RAM at varying speeds on an AMD system and it amounted to minimal performance differences.
image014.png
image011.png
image005.png

In the end, Tom's Hardware's reviewer said that if it's for a new system, then get high speed RAM if it's at a good price. However in your case you'd be replacing 4GB of existing RAM for a very minor performance improvement.

You didn't state your system specs, so I assume you have 2x2GB and you still have two empty slots to add more RAM. It would be cheaper to buy an kit of matching 2x4GB RAM so you can have 12GB total, rather than buying a new set of high speed 16GB RAM.

There's not much of a price difference between adding another 2x2 or replacing with 2x4.
Wouldn't 2x4 run faster? All my ram slots don't run at the same speeds. I'm mainly looking to expand from 4 to 8
I though mismatching RAM was frownen upon?

So you're saying if I put in an additional 2x4 the speed impact will be negligible?
It would still be better to put the 2x4s in the faster slots though right? I never dealt much with RAM upgrades lol

Thanks for the answers though guys, I'll order 2x4 1333mhz ram then. As long as its the same brand and CL level it should be OK right?

Hey guys, I'm looking into picking up a new monitor, as my current LG 1080P's colours have .. I dunno, diminished over the past 12 months.

I'm trying to decide between the Asus VG248QE and BenQ XL2411Z monitors listed in the OP.

I've a high i5, 8GB ram (might jump to 16 at the same time), R9 280X (will probably upgrade later in the year).

Does anyone have any advice on which to get?
I do need some specific advice actually, will these work okay with 30 - 60 fps console games?

I'm seeing some differing opinions online.
Edit: Maybe I should just go with the Asus MX239H? It's only €75 cheaper though.

mulac

Whats the best way to install the Corsair H100i GTX CPU Cooler into a Carbide 500r case?

Rad on top, fans on inside? Big long screws securing everything top to bottom?

I am struggling with the connections and best way to install it.

Thanks.

robb_w7

Banned
Sorry for the awful focus but you'll get the idea:

https://vid.me/e/P2bJ

From boot up to the Windows login screen, the screen constantly flashes, once i log onto windows, everything is fine, no flashing, no broken image on screen, games run perfectly fine, no crashes or anything.

Why is this happening?

Its been going on for about 6 months now

Thanks

Bump for any help

Thanks

RGM79

There's not much of a price difference between adding another 2x2 or replacing with 2x4.
Wouldn't 2x4 run faster? All my ram slots don't run at the same speeds. I'm mainly looking to expand from 4 to 8
I though mismatching RAM was frownen upon?

So you're saying if I put in an additional 2x4 the speed impact will be negligible?
It would still be better to put the 2x4s in the faster slots though right? I never dealt much with RAM upgrades lol

Thanks for the answers though guys, I'll order 2x4 1333mhz ram then. As long as its the same brand and CL level it should be OK right?
Well when it comes to costs, I was thinking more of the cost difference between 8GB and 16GB. What motherboard do you have that has RAM slots that don't work at the same speeds?

Mismatching RAM speed is not ideal and the system will default the RAM to running at a lower common speed like 1333MHz, but what I suggested isn't actually mismatching RAM size. You can just get 2x4GB rated at the same speed as your existing RAM. Installed in the correct order, the 2x2GB and 2x4GB will be divided between two channels, so if you put 2GB+4GB for 6GB in each channel, it will work just fine in dual channel mode and not suffer any speed or performance impact.

Basically, what I'm saying is that 2x2GB and 2x4GB is not mismatched if you rearrange it to be two sets of 2GB+4GB and install them in the right order. Your motherboard manual will list how to install the RAM order.

Yes, same speed and latency is ideal.

Bump for any help

Thanks
What are your system specs? I wouldn't be too worried if it didn't affect system performance. Might be annoying to access the BIOS, though.

Whats the best way to install the Corsair H100i GTX CPU Cooler into a Carbide 500r case?

Rad on top, fans on inside? Big long screws securing everything top to bottom?

I am struggling with the connections and best way to install it.

Thanks.
This link might help. Would you prefer the radiator to be intake or exhaust?

So I've been planning a build for a while now. I've got a budget of around $1400. I'm looking for something that has a decent amount of room for expansion--it would be nice to have better than console performance. So last night I sprang for this duo on newegg, since I had a few discount codes:

CPU: intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

I wanted 8 threads, but figured DDR4 support wasn't worth the premium. I also picked up a dvd burner for pennies. I see no need for blu-ray atm. This is going in the office.

Any tips on where to go from here? I do have a few ideas. I am looking at a fairly cheap placeholder GPU right now, perhaps the GTX 750 Ti?

RGM79

So I've been planning a build for a while now. I've got a budget of around $1400. I'm looking for something that has a decent amount of room for expansion--it would be nice to have better than console performance. So last night I sprang for this duo on newegg, since I had a few discount codes:

CPU: intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

I wanted 8 threads, but figured DDR4 support wasn't worth the premium. I also picked up a dvd burner for pennies. I see no need for blu-ray atm. This is going in the office.

Any tips on where to go from here? I do have a few ideas. I am looking at a fairly cheap placeholder GPU right now, perhaps the GTX 750 Ti?
How much did the CPU and motherboard cost, and how much of the budget is left? What are your ideas? Have any cases in mind? I'd recommend the Fractal Define S or R5, and the Corsair Obsidian line of cases like the 450D?

Do you really need a temporary graphics card? Latest rumors pin the GTX 980 Ti's release within the next two weeks, and AMD's R9 3XX line within four weeks. You could just use the integrated graphics for now and save yourself the money to spend on a better graphics card later, unless you know you can flip the 750 Ti for minimal loss. On your $1400 budget, you may be able to get the 980 Ti.

I have the Fractal Define R3, which is internally very similar to the R4. I bought the USB 3.0 upgrade kit for it and one of the ports stopped working. I think it was due to physical damage, though. That and my room is very dusty, the upward facing ports filled up with dust easily.

The side panel only buzzes for me if there's a fan mounted on it. I was able to cancel out the buzzing by placing the side of the case against a wall, I guess it changed the airflow to prevent buzzing.

I've used maybe 4 different motherboards in the case and I've never had an issue with mounting and spacing.

Ah okay I see, unfortunately faulty front USB ports seem to be really common no matter the make of the case, I hear it all around. As for the upward ports I guess I can work around that by screwing the damping material on from the outside, won't look as nice but should be easier to clean. And the buzzing shouldn't bother me too much if it occurs since I'll put my case onto my desk next to my monitor so theoretically the monitor should absorb all buzzing.

But yeah I'm kinda still conflicted about the N600 too...

Sullichin

Soo, I installed my MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G Red 420blazeit edition.

Thanks again to those here who answered my questions about the different SKUs.

Everything is running great, but I have two minor problems:

- All of my Steam games are listed twice in GeForce experience. I figure this is because I have a lot of folder aliases in Steam (I use Steam Mover to switch games off my SSD onto one of my HDDs)

-The MSI Gaming App advertised on the box doesn't work. It says "platform not supported.". I suppose I can overclock with MSI Afterburner but I'm not sure where to go to see my actual clock speeds.

Nearly solid 60fps in GTAV with MSAAx4. Ten million FPS in Counter Strike. Thing runs dead silent compared to my HD7950 it replaced. Great card so far.

Bluforce

Hi guys.

A couple of years ago I made a PC just for web surfing and some retrogaming. I choose a simply solution, an AMD APU A8-5600K, MoBo AsRock FM2A75 PRO4, 8 GB of RAM 1866Mhz, 1 TB WD Caviar Blue HDD and XFX ProSeries 450W.
Then, some months ago I upgraded with a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120 GB as primary disk.

Even so, many games are playable in "console quality". For example I can play stuff like Max Payne 3 @ 1366*768, with medium-low details.

But now I want use my PC more for gaming, but I know that there are a lot of bottlenecks.

At around 150 Euro, should I buy a GTX 750 Ti 2GB (so famous these days)? Or better "keep" AMD and buy something like a R7 260x, R9 270x?
Or even jump to a GTX 960? (200 Euro)

I just want to play at 1080p, with more details and fluidity. Not an "enthusiast experience", I know I should rebuild the PC from the scratch for a really good gaming PC.

Thank you for any advice.

How much did the CPU and motherboard cost, and how much of the budget is left? What are your ideas? Have any cases in mind? I'd recommend the Fractal Define S or R5, and the Corsair Obsidian line of cases like the 450D?

Do you really need a temporary graphics card? Latest rumors pin the GTX 980 Ti's release within the next two weeks, and AMD's R9 3XX line within four weeks. You could just use the integrated graphics for now and save yourself the money to spend on a better graphics card later, unless you know you can flip the 750 Ti for minimal loss. On your $1400 budget, you may be able to get the 980 Ti.

Thanks for the reply. I paid $513 for the CPU and motherboard after tax. With the mobo now though, I'm looking at some micro ATX cases and wondering if I like that form better. Could always return the Asus, but I'm locked into the CPU.

Bear in mind, I also need a monitor and copy of Windows. Should I stick w/ 7 Pro since the 10 upgrade is going to be free? Mouse/KB/speakers I plan on cheaping out on for now.

I was looking at 8 GB (for now) of Corsair DDR3 1600.
This Rosewill case (though it seems a bit big and boring. I kind of want a classy look for the case and nothing cyborg-esque).
I figured I'd pick up a WD HDD in the 1 TB range to start.

Still looking for a good SSD. Not seeing anything in my price range that uses that M.2 slot on the Asus mobo. I figure about 256 GB is good to hold the OS and a few common programs (I don't run anything intense right now).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well when it comes to costs, I was thinking more of the cost difference between 8GB and 16GB. What motherboard do you have that has RAM slots that don't work at the same speeds?

Mismatching RAM speed is not ideal and the system will default the RAM to running at a lower common speed like 1333MHz, but what I suggested isn't actually mismatching RAM size. You can just get 2x4GB rated at the same speed as your existing RAM. Installed in the correct order, the 2x2GB and 2x4GB will be divided between two channels, so if you put 2GB+4GB for 6GB in each channel, it will work just fine in dual channel mode and not suffer any speed or performance impact.

Basically, what I'm saying is that 2x2GB and 2x4GB is not mismatched if you rearrange it to be two sets of 2GB+4GB and install them in the right order. Your motherboard manual will list how to install the RAM order.

Yes, same speed and latency is ideal.
That makes perfect sense.
So basically put a set of 1x2 and 1x4 in each coloured slot in the same order and you're good? Sweet, thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm going 12gB then :).

Hey guys, so I finally made the jump to a EVGA GTX970, pretty happy with it. However I've got these small FPS dips that are driving me kinda insane.

My machine has an i5 2320 with 4GB of RAM, these may be the culprit, however I've read that there isn't so much difference between new models and my old CPU, also the ram nevers get 100% used.

I noticed that some games have trouble keeping consistent 60fps (Cities: Skylines, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood), I haven't checked my CPU temps (I've read that sometimes they're to blame).

Any suggestions? Should I save for more ram and/or a new cpu?

The Llama

Hey guys, so I finally made the jump to a EVGA GTX970, pretty happy with it. However I've got these small FPS dips that are driving me kinda insane.

My machine has an i5 2320 with 4GB of RAM, these may be the culprit, however I've read that there isn't so much difference between new models and my old CPU, also the ram nevers get 100% used.

I noticed that some games have trouble keeping consistent 60fps (Cities: Skylines, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood), I haven't checked my CPU temps (I've read that sometimes they're to blame).

Run MSI Afterburner or something if you want to check your CPU usage while you're playing games, but I have a feeling that it's causing those small dips. Do you know what mobo you have? You might be able to pick up a cheap used 2500k or similar and overclock it. I would absolutely recommend that you get 8GB of RAM if you can afford it.

Run MSI Afterburner or something if you want to check your CPU usage while you're playing games, but I have a feeling that it's causing those small dips. Do you know what mobo you have? You might be able to pick up a cheap used 2500k or similar and overclock it. I would absolutely recommend that you get 8GB of RAM if you can afford it.

Already did that, hovering around 60/70% of usage during Cities: Skylines, I don't think it's bottlenecking there. And the RAM update is a must, that's for sure.

And about my MOBO, no clue. One cheap from Asrock as far as I remember.

mkenyon

Banned

To really check at what's going on with stutter, you'd need to look at your actual frame times and then use something like FRAFS Bench Viewer to see it.

But yeah, the CPU is likely the culprit.

*edit*

Also, CPU usage is not a very accurate way to check to see if there's actually a CPU bottleneck.

turbocat

Okay, so...I posted a few pages back, and I've updated my build slightly. I'm an animator/designer/podcaster/game player, and I'd like this build to last years (current computer is an upgraded 2007 Mac Pro, FYI). Before I order all of this, tell me what I may be missing so I don't blow it all up (I know I don't have anything for cable management). I haven't chosen a keyboard yet, and I have existing Windows installation discs and I already have a mouse. Just need a little reassurance here, or for someone to point out the thing that's going to catch on fire as soon as I plug it in. PCPartsPicker tells me there are no incompatibilities, and it'll come to about...$1778, give or take.

CPU - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory - Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage - Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive & Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card
Case - Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Monitor - Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Thermal Compound - Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Fracas

#fuckonami
Dumb question, but getting 99-100% GPU usage is totally fine right? I'm pushing my rig with TW3. Titan Black's running in the high 70s and low 80s C.

Is there a "best" version of the GTX 970?
I see that many people on neogaf have the EVGA version (maybe because of the promotion?) I think is this one: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00NSXYEQW/
The "best selling" for amazon.it is the ASUS STRIX version : http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00NFFAW50/
I saw good reviews for both of them, I was wondering if the 6€ more for the EVGA (yeah I know it's very little, that's why I'm asking xD) are "worth" or not.

Also, is a 650W PSU sufficient? I guess yes?

Kayant

I see that many people on neogaf have the EVGA version (maybe because of the promotion?) I think is this one: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00NSXYEQW/
The "best selling" for amazon.it is the ASUS STRIX version : http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00NFFAW50/
I saw good reviews for both of them, I was wondering if the 6€ more for the EVGA (yeah I know it's very little, that's why I'm asking xD) are "worth" or not.

Evga, MSI, Asus are all well praised and reviewed can't go wrong with either. Yes 650W should be more than fine.

lem0n

I got an i3 4170 for my second build, is that okay for gaming? Got a 960 and 8gb ram. Most taxing game will be DA:I or Skyrim with some mods.... am I in for a bad surprise?

McBryBry

I'm pretty happy with my MSI, but if there's an EVGA one on sale I'd recommend that. The only reason I went with MSI was due to them all being the same price when I bought in, and it having very slightly higher overclock numbers from what users were saying.

650W is great.

Arkanius

Guys, I have a 280X that has a Windforce cooler that makes noise like a jet engine. Gaming on more intensive games is a pain because not even my headphones can silence the god damn thing.

I'm thinking of buying a new cooler, or maybe go Watercooling with it.

Are there good AIO blocks for GPUs like there are for CPUs nowadays? (Like the Corsair H100)

JayDub

So what ever happened to MVP? I don't remember what is was called exactly, but it was a feature in ASUS mobos that used the iGPU with the discrete GPU to essentially SLI/Crossfire with just one dGPU. With how great the new Iris Pros are, I can only imagine the gains to be freakin great.

RGM79

Okay, so...I posted a few pages back, and I've updated my build slightly. I'm an animator/designer/podcaster/game player, and I'd like this build to last years (current computer is an upgraded 2007 Mac Pro, FYI). Before I order all of this, tell me what I may be missing so I don't blow it all up (I know I don't have anything for cable management). I haven't chosen a keyboard yet, and I have existing Windows installation discs and I already have a mouse. Just need a little reassurance here, or for someone to point out the thing that's going to catch on fire as soon as I plug it in. PCPartsPicker tells me there are no incompatibilities, and it'll come to about...$1778, give or take.

CPU - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory - Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage - Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive & Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card
Case - Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Monitor - Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Thermal Compound - Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Hmm, $1778 seems oddly expensive, I was able to put together a similar build with a GTX 980 for about $1840, only about $60 more. Granted, it is more expensive overall, but the difference between the GTX 970 and 980 is supposed to be about $200, not just $60. Of course, if you decide you only need a GTX 970, then my build will be only about $1630 with a GTX 970.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($362.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.30 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.80 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($521.37 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1836.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 15:03 EDT-0400

My build includes the Phanteks PH-TC14PE air cooler, which should be a more capable heatsink than the Corsair H55 which is Corsair's lowest end water cooler. In fact in TechPowerUp's testing, the Phanteks cooler is able to trade blows with the Corsair H110 and H100, both of which are much larger and more capable than the H55.

For X99, you want quad channel DDR4 memory which means 4 sticks. Installing 2 sticks will still work, but you don't get the benefit of quad channel mode.

The Toshiba 2TB drive should be similar to the WD Black models (7200RPM and 64MB cache) but cost much less. They do have a shorter warranty period (3 years VS 5 years) though.

The Corsair 500R is a larger model in the same product line as the 200R. It does cost somewhat more money, but the 200R won't fit the Phanteks air cooler, so I picked the 500R instead.

The EVGA 750 watt power supply is semi-modular and has enough wattage to allow for GTX 980 SLI.

Thermal paste isn't needed as the cooler already comes with it pre-applied. If you wanted to have thermal paste on hand for future use, then just add it back to the list.

I got an i3 4170 for my second build, is that okay for gaming? Got a 960 and 8gb ram. Most taxing game will be DA:I or Skyrim with some mods.... am I in for a bad surprise?

I've heard that Dragon Age: Inquisition refuses to run on dual-core processors (without a hack). From what I can find, it's said that people have been able to run it on i3 processors, so I think you're safe..

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That makes perfect sense.
So basically put a set of 1x2 and 1x4 in each coloured slot in the same order and you're good? Sweet, thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm going 12gB then :).

A followup question! I found ram from the same manufacturer that matches my 2x2gB RAM. The only difference being that the 2x4gB I'm buying has an XMP profile, otherwise they're exactly the same in every way clock and latency wise.

Does that have any impact whatsoever? /RAM-Noob. I found it at a clearance price so I'm kinda ready to jump on it thinking if it doesn't work I'll at least double my RAM lol

Edit: Technically it shouldn't matter as it would just run the 2x4 sticks at the same speed as the 2x2's though right?

2x4s:
Warranty - Lifetime
Size - 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB)
Performance Profile - XMP
Fan Included - No
Heat Spreader - XMS
Memory Configuration - Dual Channel
Memory Type - DDR3
Package - Memory Pin - 240
Package - Memory Format - DIMM
Tested Voltage - 1.65
SPD Voltage - 1.5