• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinbo37

So you rip your discs then seed the contents to other people? Then yes it's against the law.

Only myself and my wife. So no, its not against the law.

Sorry 2 questions - Ripping DVDs/discs and music is just for personal use. Seeding is something different but that wasnt my question at all my qeustion was more for transcoding within plex but I think an i3 will be fine. Thanks for all your help!

LilJoka

So you rip your discs then seed the contents to other people? Then yes it's against the law.

Or he rips his disks, and seeds Linux ISOs. Come on no need to accuse in this thread. Leave that for other threads.

Regarding the GTX 970, should I check something on my MOBO before thinking about buying it?
MOBO it's a P8Z68-V/GEN3 and I've found some people that had problems getting the card recognized. Maybe I shouldn't worry, maybe I should?

On paper its perfectly compatible, so i dont see the need to worry.

The_Poet

Banned
Does anybody else see that their rig doesn't match up to online benchmarks of a game?

I have a 780, i7 3770k (4.4ghz), and Asus extreme 4 mobo.

I often see reviewing sites get ~5-10fps more in games with similar rigs to mine.

Are they padding results?

mulac

Quick one, should the graphics card be installed to the pci slot closest to the cpu!?

Pics incoming of tthis buold. Got it working tonight!

LilJoka

Does anybody else see that their rig doesn't match up to online benchmarks of a game?

I have a 780, i7 3770k (4.4ghz), and Asus extreme 4 mobo.

I often see reviewing sites get ~5-10fps more in games with similar rigs to mine.

Are they padding results?

Well it can be a multitude of things, are you testing games with built in benches? Otherwise its not a fair comparison.
GTX 780 has boost clocks, they are tied to manufacturer clocks and power/temp limits.
RAM speeds and timings may make 1-2fps difference.
Margin of error per second is going to make a difference.
FPS capturing tool is going to make a difference.

It all adds up, benchmarks are good to observe relative performance between different parts, not as useful to compare against your own specs especially for games.

Quick one, should the graphics card be installed to the pci slot closest to the cpu!?

Pics incoming of tthis buold. Got it working tonight!

Can be installed in any slot of your choice.

Only myself and my wife. So no, its not against the law.

Or he rips his disks, and seeds Linux ISOs. Come on no need to accuse in this thread. Leave that for other threads.

No, no accusation intended. I thought Chinbo was worried that if ripping disc and seeding the content is against the law so I just clarify that seeding to other people is.

The implication is that if you do those for your personal use is not illegal.

Note how I simply asked and answered my own question.

Sorry if you take it as an accusation Chin :)

Qvoth

i'm thinking of upgrading my video card, it's an 7850, my cpu is i5 2500k
if i only want like high graphical settings for new and upcoming pc games (something like witcher 3 for example), do i need to upgrade both or just the video card is enough?

Chinbo37

if i only want like medium to high graphical settings for new and upcoming pc games (something like witcher 3 for example), do i need to upgrade both or just the video card is enough?

For medium high I think the 2500 is enough. But you should overclock it if you havent yet.

Blackage

if i only want like high graphical settings for new and upcoming pc games (something like witcher 3 for example), do i need to upgrade both or just the video card is enough?

If your 2500K is OC'd to 4.2GHz+ you should be ok for a bit longer. It's getting up there in age though. :eek:

i'm rocking a 980 and I'm running Witcher @ 60FPS+ on Ultra.

rocK`

Banned
Question: adding monitors, especially of different inputs, does it have a performance degradation? Is one monitor optimal for a 2x980? If so, I might attach the second and third to a different computer

MisterM

For medium high I think the 2500 is enough. But you should overclock it if you havent yet.

ZsEbgyc.jpg

You can get whatever graphical settings you want in The Witcher 3 on a 2500 as long as your GPU can keep up.

Arkanius

Guys, my current CPU is a i5-3570k OC'd to 4.2 Ghz with a Noctua NH-U12P cooler.
I'm thinking of going going into watercooling through AIO kits for my CPU and GPU (280X) for silence and temperatures.

My GPU is the most noisy and hot part in my machine, I actually barely hear the the CPU cooler, but it would be worth it for the lower temperatures.

I live in Portugal and we are around the 30 degrees celsius ambient temperature. I'm not at home right now but I'll post my Idle and Load temperatures as soon as possible.

My case is a CM 690 II Advanced

What do you guys think?

Rufus

Guys, my current CPU is a i5-3570k OC'd to 4.2 Ghz with a Noctua NH-U12P cooler.
I'm thinking of going going into watercooling through AIO kits for my CPU and GPU (280X) for silence and temperatures.

My GPU is the most noisy and hot part in my machine, I actually barely hear the the CPU cooler, but it would be worth it for the lower temperatures.

I live in Portugal and we are around the 30 degrees celsius ambient temperature. I'm not at home right now but I'll post my Idle and Load temperatures as soon as possible.

My case is a CM 690 II Advanced

What do you guys think?
When I had my 4890, I just bought a replacement cooler from Arctic Cooling. I bet they still make them, they usually fit several models.
It had a massive heatsink with pretty large, but almost inaudible fans. I forget what the impact was in exact numbers, but it definitely ran way cooler than with the stock setup.

Valravn

I have 980 Strix in SLI, inside a Corsair 760T case. The uppercard gets a temperature of 80c when playing THe Witcher 3. Now this game is very demanding of the GPU and im playing in SLI so temperatures will always be higher than a single card. But is there something i can do to lower the temps? Like change the intake fans? Or do you guys say: 80c is fine for a graphics card its not worth the hassle to lower it by a few degrees. I did make a fan profile in GPU Tweak btw. By default the card runs 0db when below 60c. But when i play The Witcher 3 the temps will rise quickly and the fans will run very loud. So i tried to stabilize this a bit. The fan profile i now have set up will run the fans at 40% below 40c and then it will increase slighty and will run at 50% when reaching 60c and at 60% when reaching 70. This setting will keep the upper card at a stable 80c. The lower card at 67c.\

Im thinking about changing the front intake fans for 2 Phanteks PH-F140SP.

Arkanius

When I had my 4890, I just bought a replacement cooler from Arctic Cooling. I bet they still make them, they usually fit several models.
It had a massive heatsink with pretty large, but almost inaudible fans. I forget what the impact was in exact numbers, but it definitely ran way cooler than with the stock setup.

My 280X is a true get engine
It makes my Xbox 360 pround

24871_gigabyte_r9_280x_oc_intro2.jpg

Checked this cooler:

http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-xtreme-iv-280-x.html

Is this cooler global? I might invest in it if I can use it later for furture GPU's

Rufus

My 280X is a true get engine
It makes my Xbox 360 pround

24871_gigabyte_r9_280x_oc_intro2.jpg

Checked this cooler:

http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-xtreme-iv-280-x.html
Oh wow, that's a lot pricier than what I paid for mine back then. Seems they singled out the 280X too, haha. Don't buy it from their site if at all possible, I'm seeing prices around 55€ here, but I don't know what the supply situation is like in Portugal.

Maybe look into creating a custom fan profile first... 80-85°C is fine for a 280X I believe (I have one too), above that and it should start throttling. Maybe look inside the case too, see what the dust buildup is like, that can help a lot.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I just noticed that Amazon.it has added "(3.5GB + 0.5GB)" to the name of most of the 970 models they have.

Like this: Msi GTX 970 Gaming Scheda Video, 4 GB (3.5GB+0.5GB) GDDR5, PCIe, Nero/Antracite

Good of them. Amazon.com hasn't tough.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not a gaming PC question but a general PC Building question.

I am building a dedicated file server and media server. It will be used to archive and store files and media to be used around my house or externally with Plex.

When picking my CPU, is the CPU speed more/less important than the number of cores? I know more cores is better for running multiple streams etc. I am picking between various 35W haswell processors, it will be an i3 or i5. Just not sure if quad core is that much better than dual core for future proofing or for my immediate needs.

The 35W Quad core i5 is only 2.0 ghz, while the dual core is 3.0 ghz.

Thoughts? I prefer to keep it at 35W for the CPU as it will run 24/7

check this out https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer-

Most affordable NAS enclosures do not have the CPU capacity to transcode video. And you will almost certainly need to transcode unless you are only serving to PC based clients running Plex Home Theater. For smart TVs/chromecast/Xbox/PS4, you will at minimum be remuxing to a different container and possibly transcoding the audio. For ipads etc you'll be transcoding both audio and video.

I'd imagine you'd be fine with an i3 though, but best to check. CPU demands are arguably fairly flat these days, unless you go 4k in the future. Other than tablets, many platforms only require the container to be different and maybe audio - so in some ways the requirements have dropped over time.

FaintDeftone

Hey guys,

So right now I'm looking into upgrading my gaming PC. The system I currently have I built in 2010 and it has been very good to me, but right now I'm noticing that newer games are starting to perform a bit poorly and need more juice.

Currently I have:

AMD Phenom II X4 Black 3.4GHz
8GB PC 10666 RAM (4 2GB chips)
120GB SSD (for OS) and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm (for games)
700w Corsair Gaming PSU
AMD Radeon HD 7880 2GB PCI-E card
Windows 8.1 Pro

Again, this system still performs pretty well (I can run Alien Isolation at 1080p at 60fps) but some newer games are taking a hit. I'm sticking with AMD processors because they're cheaper, they've always given me good performance and I don't need the godliest of processors. I don't mind having to rebuild this PC again in a few years.

I'm about to order an ASUS motherboard and an AMD FX 8350 Black processor but I'm also looking into upgrading that Radeon HD 7880 graphics card.

What would be a solid upgrade to that card that isn't crazy expensive? I don't need a Titan X and I don't mind switching to NVIDIA. I want something that'll run current and upcoming games nicely but doesn't necessarily have to future-proof me the next 4 years or anything (if that is even possible).

I'm looking to spend no more than $500 and the processor/mobo will take about $300 of that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Chinbo37

check this out https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer-

Most affordable NAS enclosures do not have the CPU capacity to transcode video. And you will almost certainly need to transcode unless you are only serving to PC based clients running Plex Home Theater. For smart TVs/chromecast/Xbox/PS4, you will at minimum be remuxing to a different container and possibly transcoding the audio. For ipads etc you'll be transcoding both audio and video.

I'd imagine you'd be fine with an i3 though, but best to check. CPU demands are arguably fairly flat these days, unless you go 4k in the future. Other than tablets, many platforms only require the container to be different and maybe audio - so in some ways the requirements have dropped over time.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I cant imagine ever needing more than 2 concurrent 1080p streams (at this time). Both the i3 and i5 CPUs I was looking at have scores above 4500. So either shoudl be fine. So I will go with the i3 to save a bit of cost.

LilJoka

Thanks. That helps a lot. I cant imagine ever needing more than 2 concurrent 1080p streams (at this time). Both the i3 and i5 CPUs I was looking at have scores above 4500. So either shoudl be fine. So I will go with the i3 to save a bit of cost.

If you aren't transcoding, it's still a waste of money. People still transcode today? Most TVs should support popular formats, if you are ripping your collection just rip to a natively supported format in the first place.

At work we used to run 9 1080p videos on laptop spec CPUs. As I said, whatever cpu you choose, the storage medium will be the bottleneck if you aren't transcoding.

kennah

If you aren't transcoding, it's still a waste of money. People still transcode today? Most TVs should support popular formats, if you are ripping your collection just rip to a natively supported format in the first place.
Transcoding in plex is more than just format, it updates the bitrates on the fly to take into account fluctuations in connection speed. It's pretty awesome.

LilJoka

Hey guys,

So right now I'm looking into upgrading my gaming PC. The system I currently have I built in 2010 and it has been very good to me, but right now I'm noticing that newer games are starting to perform a bit poorly and need more juice.

Currently I have:

AMD Phenom II X4 Black 3.4GHz
8GB PC 10666 RAM (4 2GB chips)
120GB SSD (for OS) and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm (for games)
700w Corsair Gaming PSU
AMD Radeon HD 7880 2GB PCI-E card
Windows 8.1 Pro

Again, this system still performs pretty well (I can run Alien Isolation at 1080p at 60fps) but some newer games are taking a hit. I'm sticking with AMD processors because they're cheaper, they've always given me good performance and I don't need the godliest of processors. I don't mind having to rebuild this PC again in a few years.

I'm about to order an ASUS motherboard and an AMD FX 8350 Black processor but I'm also looking into upgrading that Radeon HD 7880 graphics card.

What would be a solid upgrade to that card that isn't crazy expensive? I don't need a Titan X and I don't mind switching to NVIDIA. I want something that'll run current and upcoming games nicely but doesn't necessarily have to future-proof me the next 4 years or anything (if that is even possible).

I'm looking to spend no more than $500 and the processor/mobo will take about $300 of that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Im on mobile so won't delve too much into it, you can get an Intel Cpu today for less than AMD and match the 8 core AMD in 90% of games. Plus that intel cpu can lead to an i5/i7 cpu upgrade rather than new board/cpu in the future since AMD is a dead socket with no upgrade path.

Transcoding in plex is more than just format, it updates the bitrates on the fly to take into account fluctuations in connection speed. It's pretty awesome.

I see, didn't even consider it, I'm wired all round my house.

Arkanius

Oh wow, that's a lot pricier than what I paid for mine back then. Seems they singled out the 280X too, haha. Don't buy it from their site if at all possible, I'm seeing prices around 55€ here, but I don't know what the supply situation is like in Portugal.

Maybe look into creating a custom fan profile first... 80-85°C is fine for a 280X I believe (I have one too), above that and it should start throttling. Maybe look inside the case too, see what the dust buildup is like, that can help a lot.

I usually de-dust my case every three months. I also have dust filters on it (CM 690 II Advanced). Speaking of which, it's time to do it again.

I'll try a custom profile first, then I'll look for second hand market prices. The cooler looks solid and robust, a bit frankenstein though

Aurarian

Hey guys, just wondering if there any particular graphics card vendors I should go for. My 290 is a lemon and I was thinking of going over to NVIDIA(970) or grabbing a 290x to replace it.

Now that I'm thinking of something that is a bit more desktop-y than my laptop... (I think I'll probably want the desktop to be something that is easier for my eyes and being "plop down on chair and use it", really.)

Budget: Try to keep the total price below USD 500 equivalent, including Windows licence. Building from Malaysia.

Main Use: Pretty much the same thing doing as my gaming laptop, except that it's allowed to be worse at gaming, so long as things don't get unplayable. (Heavy web browsing, developing Windows apps, playing Windows games.)

Monitor Resolution: 720/768p is perfectly acceptable, even if it's driving a 1080p monitor. The 1080p is for desktop, really.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I think Skyrim runs on toasters now, but it'd be nice if I could drop in a graphics card later without having to chip in a new CPU at the same time.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Nothing, but assume that monitor, keyboard, and mouse are not necessary to include.

When will you build?: No deadlines.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes for the CPU, if the CPU + motherboard combination allows it out of the box. No for the graphics card.

rezn0r

Hey guys, just wondering if there any particular graphics card vendors I should go for. My 290 is a lemon and I was thinking of going over to NVIDIA(970) or grabbing a 290x to replace it.

I've always been really happy with EVGA, but I'm also still on a 680. Waiting for the next round to show up before I spend any money on hardware. Looking forward to it though.

Honestly, just wait 3-4 weeks. AMD should be releasing a new line of cards then and Nvidia is releasing the 980 Ti before that even. Or so rumours suggest.

Link Man

Banned
I'll list the alternatives and how they compare:

R9 280: Features 3GB of VRAM which makes it more capable of handling higher VRAM usage than the GTX 960 2GB models. Generally on par with the GTX 960, but the 960 is a newer design that can benefit more from the latest driver updates and optimizations. Not as quiet or cool-running as some GTX 960 models, but it currently goes for $150~160 at the lowest, which is a very competitive price.

R9 280X: Next step up from the R9 280. Same flaws and advantages (3GB VRAM and older design), just at a higher performing level. Offers more raw performance than the GTX 960, but IIRC in some games the GTX 960 is capable of matching or even slightly exceeding the 280X. Currently available for $215 at the lowest which isn't a great deal, I usually only recommend them when they drop to around $190 or better on sale.

R9 290: If you can spare the extra $30+ to get an R9 290, it's a pretty good deal. It offers performance just under that of the GTX 970 and therefore is quite a bit more powerful than the GTX 960. 4GB of VRAM makes this a solid choice for 1080p gaming at higher settings for the next few years.

The GTX 960's main weakness is being limited to 2GB of VRAM. There are 4GB models of the GTX 960, but they cost very close to the R9 290 which also has 4GB VRAM but is more powerful, making the GTX 960 a worse buy in terms of performance. The GTX 960's main advantage is lower power consumption, less heat, and some models offer zero fan noise at low temperatures.

All of these graphics cards will run just fine on a 600 watt power supply. Depending on the games you play and what level of performance you want, it might come down to how well the cards perform in games that you enjoy or are anticipating to play. For example, if you were wanting to play the Witcher 3 at 60FPS, then I'd recommend the R9 290 which is capable of sustaining 60FPS at medium settings, according to Techspot. If you're OK with 30FPS or lower settings, then the GTX 960 would stand out more because it can do that and offer lower temperatures and noise.

You are not required to update the BIOS, but you can if you like. Updating the BIOS from the option in the BIOS menu is preferred over Windows-based BIOS updaters. You never know if something in Windows may interfere with the BIOS updating and if it stops midway through, you're screwed. Looking at the update changelogs, it seems that MSI is adding quite a bit in terms of functionality and compatibility, so go ahead with the BIOS update if you like.

Installing RAM is very straight-forward. Check your motherboard manual for the correct slots to fill up first. It's usually staggered and kept even on both sides of the motherboard.

As long as you're not expecting to play games, the onboard graphics will definitely be just fine for day-to-day use. Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects will still work but without the benefits of GPU acceleration, so some tasks might take longer, that's all.

Thank you for your suggestions, although I do think I'll go with the 960 in this case. AMD drivers can be quite buggy, and the prices you've listed are thanks to mail-in rebate, a discount method which I'm not fond of and can be untrustworthy, if some of the reviews can be trusted. I'm fine with 30fps in games like RPGs, as long as the framerate is stable.

Rufus

I usually de-dust my case every three months. I also have dust filters on it (CM 690 II Advanced). Speaking of which, it's time to do it again.

I'll try a custom profile first, then I'll look for second hand market prices. The cooler looks solid and robust, a bit frankenstein though
Check the GPUs heatsink specifically.

Yeah, they are massive. Not something for dual-GPU setups.

FaintDeftone

Im on mobile so won't delve too much into it, you can get an Intel Cpu today for less than AMD and match the 8 core AMD in 90% of games. Plus that intel cpu can lead to an i5/i7 cpu upgrade rather than new board/cpu in the future since AMD is a dead socket with no upgrade path.

Yeah I know but I have a feeling that more cores instead of more threads may be a benefit in the near future. Still, I'm pretty sold on the AMD processor.

I was looking into the GTX 960 graphics card but it looks like that card isn't too much more powerful than what I already have. I'll probably just splurge a little more on something like a GTC 970 or a Radeon R9 290.

kennah

Yeah I know but I have a feeling that more cores instead of more threads may be a benefit in the near future. Still, I'm pretty sold on the AMD processor.

I was looking into the GTX 960 graphics card but it looks like that card isn't too much more powerful than what I already have. I'll probably just splurge a little more on something like a GTC 970 or a Radeon R9 290.
Slow now does not make fast in the future. And by the time multiple cores are a strict requirement, something better and cheaper will be out anyway.

But if you're set on buying a three year old cpu then go for it.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but amd cpus are not going to magically be made faster by muktithreaded software.

Afro

Can high CPU temps (high 70's C) cause stutter from throttling? I ordered a better cooler, but I'm curious if this could be the cause for my micro stutter in GTA V. Thanks.

FaintDeftone

Slow now does not make fast in the future. And by the time multiple cores are a strict requirement, something better and cheaper will be out anyway.

But if you're set on buying a three year old cpu then go for it.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but amd cpus are not going to magically be made faster by muktithreaded software.

The 8350 is a recommended processor for Witcher 3. I wouldn't necessarily call that "slow now". Given, I'm sure it is slower than an i7 and maybe a 5th gen i5, but my whole budget will go to just a intel mobo and a cpu itself. From what I've been told, the 8350 is very capable in a mid-range setup.

kennah

The 8350 is a recommended processor for Witcher 3. I wouldn't necessarily call that "slow now". Given, I'm sure it is slower than an i7 and maybe a 5th gen i5, but my whole budget will go to just a intel mobo and a cpu itself. From what I've been told, the 8350 is very capable in a mid-range setup.
I'm sure others will weigh in on this. You can't use recommended specs as a metric. Check benchmarks in the Witcher performance thread. I just don't know why you would intentionally limit yourself when it costs the same to get similar or better performance from Intel parts and still have an upgrade path.

Edit. Benchmarks.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page5.html

FaintDeftone

I'm sure others will weigh in on this. You can't use recommended specs as a metric. Check benchmarks in the Witcher performance thread. I just don't know why you would intentionally limit yourself when it costs the same to get similar or better performance from Intel parts and still have an upgrade path.

Edit. Benchmarks.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page5.html

So what would be a comparable or better Corei processor for a reasonable price? From what I'm seeing even the last gen Corei7 is pretty pricey.

kennah

So what would be a comparable or better Corei processor for a reasonable price? From what I'm seeing even the last gen Corei7 is pretty pricey.
Any i5 will perform as good as the 8350. The extra cores on that cpu make no difference what so ever. Worry about 8 cores in 3 years when it is necessary.

LilJoka

GTA V is heavily multithreaded:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Grand_Theft_Auto_V_-test-2-GTA5_proz.jpg

Thats a good example of where AMD can compete, today, for very few games.
Better off getting a Core i5 and overclocking it. Then in 2 years get a core i7.

If you go AMD FX8XXX today, in 2 years youll be needing a new board and CPU since the AM3+ socket is a dead end.

Just look at the i5 2500k, 3fps more on a quad core, with much lower clock speeds, only 95W compared to AMDs 125W. And the 2500k is 3 gens old!

FaintDeftone

Any i5 will perform as good as the 8350. The extra cores on that cpu make no difference what so ever. Worry about 8 cores in 3 years when it is necessary.

Obviously I'm not as educated in Intel processors since I've always built AMD machines, but looking into a Corei5 (4th gen) seems as if I can snag one for only $15 to $20 more than that FX 8350. As long as the socket type won't change on newer i7 processors, I'll be okay.

LilJoka

That actually helps quite a bit, even though I probably won't be playing GTAV on PC. Thanks!

If you really want to put it in perspective, look at the Core i3 vs the FX8350! Insane a 2 core hyperthreaded CPU is close to a full blown 8 core AMD.

I bet with not such demanding GPUs, they would be on par.

kennah

Obviously I'm not as educated in Intel processors since I've always built AMD machines, but looking into a Corei5 (4th gen) seems as if I can snag one for only $15 to $20 more than that FX 8350. As long as the socket type won't change on newer i7 processors, I'll be okay.
The socket type changes for every other gen these days. But you'd be able to slot in a Broadwell i7 sometime in the future without changing your motherboard.

Your best bet is to get a 4790k and a z97 motherboard, but any i5 would be competitive with the 8350. The k series allows for over clocking to 4.3ghz and beyond, which gives a huge increase to the longevity of the CPU. There are people still using 2500K cpus from 2011 over clocked to 4.5ghz and being only 5 to 10 pct slower than current tech.

harSon

Banned
I'm absolutely loving my computer. I still have to finish up the cable management, but I ended up building a PC with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690
Motherboard: ASUS Z97M-PLUS
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 (Already on hand)
Memory: PNY XLR8 2x8GB (Already on hand)
SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO
PSU: Corsair CX600m
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12 S
Fans: 2x Noctua NF-S12A 120mm, 1x NF-A14 PWM and 1x BitFenix Spectre Pro 230mm
Operating System: Windows 8.1

I haven't put together a computer from scratch since Radeon 9800 Pros were top dog in the market, which may as well have meant that I was going in a complete rookie since I didn't remember a damn thing. The damn thing gave me a headache, but it was totally worth it. The computer runs like a dream and is whisper quiet.

I'll echo the (much more experienced) guys. Don't go AMD. It's a dead end. Even the dual core $70 G3258 rivals some of AMDs processors. More cores is neat but not when the cores are not doing work as efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom