• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Considering just going for a high end rig

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hxVWMp

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hxVWMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hxVWMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£289.98 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£176.46 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£76.27 @ More Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (£559.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1129.69

Anything anyone would change or add? Maybe recommend a tower? Mines a bit crap.

I get a free BeQuiet 730W pure Power Modular Bronze if I order this stuff from Novatech too http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/marketingpromotions/**bn183**.html

EDIT: Was also looking at this prebuilt PC for a bit more This or This one

LordAlu

How does this build look? My friend was interested in how much a tiny PC would cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Directron)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $645.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 10:51 EDT-0400

For a very similar price you can go Skylake:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($84.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $648.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 12:07 EDT-0400
Newer processor, better quality motherboard with M.2 and wireless etc. M.2 SSD - it's slightly cheaper and then you can put more drives in later. 8GB RAM but as one stick, so you can upgrade to 16GB later :)

Plus in your original build you had a case with included power supply, and then an extra power supply, so I've removed that.

Gattsu25

Banned
Looking to build a new PC and have never messed with liquid cooling before.

Did a bit of research with my brother and came up with this rig:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kVJyD3

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($497.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.48 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.48 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1588.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 15:31 EDT-0400

Note, only going to be buying parts from Newegg. Not sure how to get PC Part Picker to only show newegg prices in the BB Markup.

Already have the video card, so that isn't going to be part of the order.

How does that look? Any pitfalls I'm falling into?

Intending this for primarily 1440p @ 60fps gaming. Outside of my pre-overclocked GPU not going to overclock anything. Would like to be ready for VR whenever that becomes feasible. Motherboard and case should give me the room to SLI with ease, though.

Will be re-using harddrives from my old machine, as well.

Also, only getting 32GB of RAM but leaving in the flexibility to double that at any time.

LordAlu

Looking to build a new PC and have never messed with liquid cooling before.

Did a bit of research with my brother and came up with this rig:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kVJyD3

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($497.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1588.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 15:31 EDT-0400

Note, only going to be buying parts from Newegg. Not sure how to get PC Part Picker to only show newegg prices in the BB Markup.

Already have the video card, so that isn't going to be part of the order.

How does that look? Any pitfalls I'm falling into?

Intending this for primarily 1440p @ 60fps gaming. Outside of my pre-overclocked GPU not going to overclock anything. Would like to be ready for VR whenever that becomes feasible. Motherboard and case should give me the room to SLI with ease, though.

Will be re-using harddrives from my old machine, as well.

Also, only getting 32GB of RAM but leaving in the flexibility to double that at any time.
I'd probably drop to 16GB as you're really not going to see any use for 32GB, even with VR. Save the money and wait till the next set of graphics cards comes out, then sell your 980 and buy whatever the best single card is of the new ones and you'll be good then :D

Looks fine to me otherwise!

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/spxHVn

So thats what I've come up with.

The only thing I'm now unsure of at the moment is the CPU cooler. I kinda wanted to look into liquid cooling but I feel like thats out of my limited expertise.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($473.71 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($37.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($213.90 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($117.51 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($117.50 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($859.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($160.74 @ shopRBC)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.12 @ shopRBC)
Total: $2275.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 16:11 EDT-0400

The CM 212 EVO is a fine cooler to get a modest overclock with. You really don't need such a ridiculous motherboard though - we can save some money by going for the ASUS Z170-A or similar. I've changed the memory for faster stuff, plus the graphics card you had chosen was the reference one, so I've swapped that out for one that's overclocked with a better cooler, plus it's cheaper.

Otherwise looks great. I'm not too much of a fan of the WD Blacks myself but they're a lot better than Seagates :p

Hey guys, I need a little help with something; every year I give my PC a little upgrade, be it a new ram, hard drive, GPU or CPU, depending on my budget and how much I can get from reselling the replaced part. My current specs are this:

Monitor: LG 22 inches LED HDTV 1920x1080
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k 3.80 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960 4G
RAM: 12 GB RAM
HDD: 1TB Seagate 7200 RPM

So my question is: What should I focus on upgrading next? My budget is in between $200 to $300, and maybe up to $400 depending on if I can resell the part that's going to get replaced and I wait a couple of months. What would you suggest?

Anyone?

Elitist1945

The CM 212 EVO is a fine cooler to get a modest overclock with. You really don't need such a ridiculous motherboard though - we can save some money by going for the ASUS Z170-A or similar. I've changed the memory for faster stuff, plus the graphics card you had chosen was the reference one, so I've swapped that out for one that's overclocked with a better cooler, plus it's cheaper.

Otherwise looks great. I'm not too much of a fan of the WD Blacks myself but they're a lot better than Seagates :p

Thanks! Yeah I'm not all too familiar with different harddrives, I just know Seagate has a bad failure rate?

I'm looking to build myself a new pc, so far I am considering:

MSI Z170A Gaming M5 MB
Intel Core i5-6600K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold PSU
Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync monitor

I will be sticking in my Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 980Ti, my old hard drives (SSD and regular), but I am undecided on the case. Any recommendations? I want a windowed panel, I was considering the Corsair 760T V2 or the 780T. What's fashionable these days? I'm fed up of my HAF X.

Also, any advice on my choice of components welcome.

Momentary

Banned
Also are they any 4K Ultrawide monitors out there? Or 1440P? I know theres a dedicated thread but its not exactly active.

The Asus PG348Q

showcases_01.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWVa76y8RXo

I'm picking this one up in May.

I won't be building anything until next year, but I'm doing some early research. Anything prohibitive about building in a smaller case, a la Bitfenix Prodigy? Will full size GPUs like a 980ti fit? Major heat issues?

I won't be building anything until next year, but I'm doing some early research. Anything prohibitive about building in a smaller case, a la Bitfenix Prodigy? Will full size GPUs like a 980ti fit? Major heat issues?

You can do a 980 ti build in a Silverstone RVZ02.

500x1000px-LL-4257e0e1_T490eUa.jpeg

Size means harder to cool, less drives. Not prohibitive in the way that you can't get top performance.

Momentary

Banned

Gattsu25

Banned
I'd probably drop to 16GB as you're really not going to see any use for 32GB, even with VR. Save the money and wait till the next set of graphics cards comes out, then sell your 980 and buy whatever the best single card is of the new ones and you'll be good then :D

Looks fine to me otherwise!

Thanks, man. I think I'm going to keep the RAM at 32GB. A bit excessive but will hopefully be future proofing for the next round of games once developers no longer have to keep parity with 8gb consoles.

Onemic

Thanks, man. I think I'm going to keep the RAM at 32GB. A bit excessive but will hopefully be future proofing for the next round of games once developers no longer have to keep parity with 8gb consoles.

VR game, The Blu already asks for 32GB of RAM :p

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Sort of against the grain of building a new system... BUT...

My wife wants to buy a premade system and gets a crazy discount right now through her job (almost 50% off) as they want people to upgrade.

I have not bought a premade in years, so I have no idea what is decent anymore.

Her options are...

Dell, HP, Samsung, Lenovo, Best Buy, Apple, and Microsoft.

She does a tone of office work and not a whole lot else (Teacher). She already has a laptop. This would be a desktop/tower for working at home. Just needs to be decent and support 2 monitors. No gaming.

We used to buy Dell years ago... but are they still the best choice?

Sort of against the grain of building a new system... BUT...

My wife wants to buy a premade system and gets a crazy discount right now through her job (almost 50% off) as they want people to upgrade.

I have not bought a premade in years, so I have no idea what is decent anymore.

Her options are...

Dell, HP, Samsung, Lenovo, Best Buy, Apple, and Microsoft.

She does a tone of office work and not a whole lot else (Teacher). She already has a laptop. This would be a desktop/tower for working at home. Just needs to be decent and support 2 monitors. No gaming.

We used to buy Dell years ago... but are they still the best choice?

Of those, Dell is probably the best for Windows, without knowing what machine you're talking about. HP and Lenovo both have their fair share of issues (Lenovo being the worst, IMO). If Windows isn't a requirement and you're okay with a Mac, Apple would be a very good choice for a non-gaming home machine (especially if you're already partially in the Apple eco-system with either a Macbook, iPhone, or iPad).

BumRush

This might not be the thread for it but it's the last question standing between me buying a desktop or a laptop...

I want to be able to play games on my TV, but it's going to be well over 20' from my computer. Is there a way to wirelessly display your computer's image without sacrificing quality / input time?

Thank you! You guys are always so helpful.

Edit: nevermind, I didn't realize that a 30' HDMI cable is like $15!

Is the Alienware Alpha worth it nowadays? It's on sale for $399 right now.

i3-4170T, GeForce 860M equivalent, 4 GB RAM, comes with a wireless Xbox 360 controller?

Should I purchase an EVGA GTX 970 now and then upgrade to the new Nvidia cards with EVGA's 90 day upgrade program (Assuming the new cards will release in 90-days OR go with an R9 390? Need a new gpu before Dark souls 3.

She can get this one...

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=ddcwrp217bw10&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop

Would cost me $379 (member discount plus her work puts up $200 for additional discount)

Or maybe this XPS one for $479

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8900-desktop/pd?oc=fdcwgsk101hw10&model_id=xps-8900-desktop

The $379 seems good enough and has more RAM/HD space... but the XPS is faster

I can personally vouch for the XPS, as I had an XPS 8500 previously (actually what I've just upgraded from). If you can, I'd recommend the XPS out of the two, not only because it's faster, but also because it's slightly easier to expand later if you need to (in my old XPS I upgraded power supply, hard drives and video cards without too much case trouble).

As an additional bonus, the XPS 8900 should hold its value a bit longer if you plan on selling it to upgrade later. It's up to you, but that extra $100 seems to be worth it, if it were me.

You should also be able to use this coupon code if you order the XPS today for an extra 10% off: 10%OFFAWXPS

Earendil

This should be good for you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.43 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.86 @ Amazon)
Total: $499.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 02:58 EDT-0400

You could always spend a bit extra for a Core i7 (would make it $620+) or even put in a Quadro K620 for your Photoshop work, although that won't make too much difference. If you wanted to save some money you could get Windows 10 from Reddit for $25 or so.

Sweet, thank you. I didn't know about getting Windows 10 from Reddit.

scitek

If you can get ahold of the Cryorig H7, why not take that instead? Should be slightly cooler, if not the same, and net you a much better fan, looks, warranty, and be smaller and more compatible with everything in exchange for a bit more outlay in price.

Well, I already have a 212, I was just looking into getting a new, smaller case. I'll consider that for my next build, though. Not sure when that will happen since my 2500k still does well enough for my gaming needs.

thenexus6

Just started building, already having issues,

My IO shield doesn't click in right and the MoBo isn't lining up properly.. Grrgh. the Mobo is just 1.5mm off with the shield

I got a ps4 that I play fighting game on it and exclusive, now its been more hen 2 year since I played on my Pc rig

spec on my rig

CPU: Amd Fx 8350
Gpu Amd Radeon 7950
RAm: 8gig

Should I upgrade my gpu or cpu or Im fine with it for some more years?

Err, I know the answer is always "wait", but considering it's a $1400 investment ($1999AUD over here), I would DEFINITELY just wait a couple more months duder.

Displayport 1.3 monitors are literally just around the corner, which will usher in ~100hz 4k and ~144hz ultrawides. They're due mid-year to coincide with the new graphics cards.

I've been tempted by the Acer X34 and the Asus PG348Q for a while now too but stay strong!

Just started building, already having issues,

My IO shield doesn't click in right and the MoBo isn't lining up properly.. Grrgh. the Mobo is just 1.5mm off with the shield

Make sure you are lining up the screw holes on the mobo to the correct mounts in the case. Do they all line up fine? How many screws are you screwing in? You shouldn't necessarily be using all of them.

Also, in my experience you have to be fairly firm with IO shields. Obvious question but have you tried it the other way around? It might not be the way round you expect it to go - just worth checking to be 100% :)

How's the CPU market looking these days?

Currently running an i7 2600k clocked at 4.0GHz, forever wondering if I need to upgrade but if I did so, would also need a new mobo (old socket no longer supported iirc) and not sure if the performance difference would be worth it?

I do a lot of fairly intensive work on my PC both with games and video editing/encoding so a quicker CPU is always desirable, but unsure if the 2600k has really become outdated yet.

Oxn

Err, I know the answer is always "wait", but considering it's a $1400 investment ($1999AUD over here), I would DEFINITELY just wait a couple more months duder.

Displayport 1.3 monitors are literally just around the corner, which will usher in ~100hz 4k and ~144hz ultrawides. They're due mid-year to coincide with the new graphics cards.

I've been tempted by the Acer X34 and the Asus PG348Q for a while now too but stay strong!

Yup dp1.3 is why i need to hold off, even though i want this monitor bad.

thenexus6

Make sure you are lining up the screw holes on the mobo to the correct mounts in the case. Do they all line up fine? How many screws are you screwing in? You shouldn't necessarily be using all of them.

Also, in my experience you have to be fairly firm with IO shields. Obvious question but have you tried it the other way around? It might not be the way round you expect it to go - just worth checking to be 100% :)

I have it in but its not flat against the Motherboard. There is some flex. Not sure if this is an issue..

To be honest this was the most stressful bit so far. Now I am onto the PSU and the trillion cables. The Motherboard and PSU manuals aren't labelled very well.

I have the 20+4 pin, CPU and PCIE - all self explanatory but then I have three other cables with three connectors coming off each

LordAlu

I have it in but its not flat against the Motherboard. There is some flex. Not sure if this is an issue..

To be honest this was the most stressful bit so far. Now I am onto the PSU and the trillion cables. The Motherboard and PSU manuals aren't labelled very well.

I have the 20+4 pin, CPU and PCIE - all self explanatory but then I have three other cables with three connectors coming off each

Picture looks fine - you'll almost always have flex as they're in pretty tight.

The cables which have three at various points will be for powering your drives, so if you have an SSD and a hard drive you'd use one cable (since your SSD and HDD will be close to one another) and plug one connector into each. They don't have to be in any particular order either.

Of course if your SSD and HDD are too far apart (a lot of cases like to put an SSD behind the motherboard tray now) you'd use two separate cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom