• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenexus6

Picture looks fine - you'll almost always have flex as they're in pretty tight.

The cables which have three at various points will be for powering your drives, so if you have an SSD and a hard drive you'd use one cable (since your SSD and HDD will be close to one another) and plug one connector into each. They don't have to be in any particular order either.

Of course if your SSD and HDD are too far apart (a lot of cases like to put an SSD behind the motherboard tray now) you'd use two separate cables.

Thanks, so I have one sata going to my two drives

One for fans and the one left over has the same three sized sata cables but also a smaller fourth one?

LordAlu

Thanks, so I have one sata going to my two drives

One for fans and the one left over has the same three sized sata cables but also a smaller fourth one?
Looks like this?

fdd_power.jpg

It's a legacy connector that's used to power old floppy disk drives. Some internal card readers or fan controllers still use it, so you'll usually find one on a power supply, just in case.

thenexus6

Looks like this?

fdd_power.jpg

It's a legacy connector that's used to power old floppy disk drives. Some internal card readers or fan controllers still use it, so you'll usually find one on a power supply, just in case.

Well okay i'm conufsed

Photo 1: I had all my fans plugged into:

But in Photo 2: the smaller cable seems to fit into the system fan port on the motherboard. However I can't plug the fans into the other part.

kGzNXkp.jpg

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Question for you experts! I am looking to start upgrading from my 2600k to something better for video rendering and VR in the future. I currently have a 7970 video card and i am trying to decide if I should sell it towards a 970 or 980 or buy another one for crossfire.

What do you guys think. What intel processor would work well for both video rendering and VR gaming. Do i upgrade my card or crossfire with another? Thanks ahead for your help guys and gals!

DryvBy

Well okay i'm conufsed

But in Photo 2: the smaller cable seems to fit into the system fan port on the motherboard. However I can't plug the fans into the other part.

kGzNXkp.jpg

Those are for older hardware, before SATA. Those are Molex cables.

DryvBy

So I plug the fans into the sata and just the smaller one on the molex into the system fan slot?

Depends on your fans power connections. If they're the smaller power connectors, they should just plug into SYS_FAN spots on your motherboard (may want to check your manual). If they're the Molex connectors, you can plug them into a female Molex connector from your power supply.

I hope that makes sense.

Oxn

So i just rebuilt my computer after removing it from an old build, and i put all the parts together.

So when i go to start up, i need to enter the bios, but i cant because non of my keyboards are installed or something and it wont let me. I tried all the ports but i cant get in, cause i cant use any inputs.

How can i get by this?

Vuze

Well okay i'm conufsed

kGzNXkp.jpg
These are Molex. You can plug in your fans there with an adapter, however they will run at full speed. Unless you have a ton of fans (or your MB has a very small amount of fan headers), you should be able to plug them all into the MB?

LordAlu

The one you have marked as "plugs into fan on mobo" shouldn't plug into the motherboard at all. The motherboard fan headers provide power to a fan. The cable coming from the power supply also provides power - you can't have both the cable and the header providing power to each other.

That connector is used to power a floppy drive or similar device (click to embiggen):

What connectors are coming out of your fans, and what motherboard do you have?

thenexus6

The fan adapters have three pins. I have three fan slots on my motherboard but they are all four pin.

Although there is only two in the photos I have three fans plugged into these and I assumed the sata goes into a sata on the PSU and then something into one of the SYS_FAN on the mother board.

So i just rebuilt my computer after removing it from an old build, and i put all the parts together.

So when i go to start up, i need to enter the bios, but i cant because non of my keyboards are installed or something and it wont let me. I tried all the ports but i cant get in, cause i cant use any inputs.

How can i get by this?

Use a keyboard that doesn't require drivers to be installed (like Razer keyboards do for example). That should do the trick

You can do a 980 ti build in a Silverstone RVZ02.

Size means harder to cool, less drives. Not prohibitive in the way that you can't get top performance.

Thanks. I might need to reconsider. Cooling (and resulting fan noise) will be critical, as I plan on hooking this up to the main TV. Basically, looking for a high end Steambox I can build with my son.

Reading up on it makes it seem much harder to cram everything in the smaller box, which could prove frustrating to the two of us. I might need to look at medium size builds.

DryvBy

The fan adapters have three pins. I have three fan slots on my motherboard but they are all four pin.

Although there is only two in the photos I have three fans plugged into these and I assumed the sata goes into a sata on the PSU and then something into one of the SYS_FAN on the mother board.

I was busy but yeah, it's fine. Some of my 3-pin fans fit into 4-pin spots on my motherboard.

I'd highly recommend checking your manual for any spots a fan can plug in. But if you can regulate appropriate power to fans using cables that also plug directly into the PSU, then go for it. I'm slightly fuzzy on this subject as I haven't actually thought about case fans in a while.

LordAlu

I assume your case has a fan controller? Normally you'd just connect your fans directly to the motherboard - you can connect a 3-pin fan to a 4-pin header no problem. The only reason I can think you'd have a connection set like that is for some kind of built-in fan controller.

If that is the case, then you would indeed plug your fans into that, and a SATA power cable from your power supply into that large connector.

DryvBy

I assume your case has a fan controller? Normally you'd just connect your fans directly to the motherboard - you can connect a 3-pin fan to a 4-pin header no problem. The only reason I can think you'd have a connection set like that is for some kind of built-in fan controller.

If that is the case, then you would indeed plug your fans into that, and a SATA power cable from your power supply into that large connector.

^This.

thenexus6

Okay final thing, PC seems to be up and running. I left the sides off and went into bios to see if things are okay. All fans are running.

I am having a little beeping sound every 3-4 minutes, sounds electronic. Not sure what that is?

Final question of the day. I want to install windows onto the 120SSD. How do I partition the drive say 70GB / 50 GB? Do I just click new and type the GBs I want?

havok75

Hi everyone, as someone who has only gamed on consoles, I decided to try out P.C gaming. I just bought a graphics card for the first time (excited lol) I bought an msi gtx 750ti for £64.05p. Have I been stung or is that a decent price for an ok card? I will only be gaming up to 1080p. I bought an msi case and motherboard to put it in.

LordAlu

Okay final thing, PC seems to be up and running. I left the sides off and went into bios to see if things are okay. All fans are running.

I am having a little beeping sound every 3-4 minutes, sounds electronic. Not sure what that is?

Final question of the day. I want to install windows onto the 120SSD. How do I partition the drive say 70GB / 50 GB? Do I just click new and type the GBs I want?
You select the SSD in the list and click the "New" button down below, then you partition how you want. Make sure you format each partition, as well as also create a partition/format on your normal HDD if it doesn't have one already.

Any particular reason you want to partition your SSD into separate drives? I've not seen anyone do that in quite a while.
Hi everyone, as someone who has only gamed on consoles, I decided to try out P.C gaming. I just bought a graphics card for the first time (excited lol) I bought an msi gtx 750ti for £64.05p. Have I been stung or is that a decent price for an ok card? I will only be gaming up to 1080p. I bought an msi case and motherboard to put it in.
The cheapest GTX 750Ti I can find new is around £75, so a tenner less is pretty good. The card is decent for 1080p gaming at medium settings.

atomsk

Party Pooper
first new PC build in about 6 years, went from a Core2Duo to a 5820K

oh my god I can render video soooo much faster.

still sitting on this 5850 until the Pascal cards drop, figure it's so close there is no reason to buy a video card right this minute.

thenexus6

You select the SSD in the list and click the "New" button down below, then you partition how you want. Make sure you format each partition, as well as also create a partition/format on your normal HDD if it doesn't have one already.

Any particular reason you want to partition your SSD into separate drives? I've not seen anyone do that in quite a while.

The cheapest GTX 750Ti I can find new is around £75, so a tenner less is pretty good. The card is decent for 1080p gaming at medium settings.

Just so I can put some programs on there to make them launch faster.

havok75

that's great, thank you for the advice.

I'm planning on buying this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M48CEQ4/
I'm getting it for £45 due to student discount. The brand+spec seems fine, the reviews on Amazon are for other models but people generally seem to be happy. I've bough low-end trust peripherals before and their build was solid. I just wanted to know if they're the best in the price range considering they're normally £80-£90. I'll be using optical for my PS4 and 3.5mm for my PC.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

As mentioned, those are Molex power adapters that often are used with older legacy parts, but occasionally some components still use them.

For instance, I think my CPU cooler uses Molex for power draw(to my surprise). I also just bought an LED light for brightening up the inside of my case that has a molex connector which I wasn't expecting.

If you are buying and building with all new components in 2016, most likely you need not even install a molex wire into your PSU. But hold onto it just in case something eventually does.

e90Mark

Do you think it'd worth it to pay the $28 extra and get the Samsung 850 evo?
The 850 evo might be a bit better, but you'll probably only be able to tell the difference in benchmarks.

You'd be getting 10 gigs more (if you go with the 250), a 5 year warranty, and a bit more performance for $28. I think you should decide whether the extra money on this is worth it for you.

Do I think it's worth it? Probably, considering the drive should last multiple builds and Samsung is regarded as one of the best in this space.

TheJerit

Built my last desktop back in ~09 and the last gpu upgrade was a 5850 and since the PS4 came out, 98% switched to that for gaming. Wasn't planning on building anything till next year after HBM 2 and the new GPU lines were more fleshed out, but after pondering over the Vive more and more over the last few months....... it sucked me in!!! lol. I know that I want the best VR experience and ultimately this will be the one for the foreseeable future (imho).

Pre-ordered the Vive last night, looks like May is still the planned ship date. I'm still slightly abiding by my original plan in that I'm just going a real cheap route for this build and will probably just pass it on to my boys next year or so when I do upgrade. The only thing I've been sitting on the last couple of days is the GPU; planned to go with 390/390x for now and then sell/upgrade down the road later this year or early next. Haven't seen much deals lately for them and they all are hovering just above $300. Seen some 970's around $270. Should I just pull the trigger on a 970 for now or should I wait for a better price on the 390?

The 850 evo might be a bit better, but you'll probably only be able to tell the difference in benchmarks.

You'd be getting 10 gigs more (if you go with the 250), a 5 year warranty, and a bit more performance for $28. I think you should decide whether the extra money on this is worth it for you.

Do I think it's worth it? Probably, considering the drive should last multiple builds and Samsung is regarded as one of the best in this space.

Honestly I'm trying to go for the best value. I've been fine with my WD black HDD until now,this would just be to sate my curiosity in terms of having an ssd, and for quicker boot and load times. I'm on year 5 of my 2011 Sandy bridge build so I'd probably spring for a better, more expensive drive in my next build.

Having said that, the PNY drive will do fine you think?

My components will be here tomorrow, but just realised that the free upgrade of Win10 does not generate a product key. I have a bought copy of Windows 7 on disk from my old PC. Couldn't I just install Windows 7 off this disk on my new build and do the free upgrade again?

Really don't want to spend £80+ on Windows 10.

e90Mark

Honestly I'm trying to go for the best value. I've been fine with my WD black HDD until now,this would just be to sate my curiosity in terms of having an ssd, and for quicker boot and load times. I'm on year 5 of my 2011 Sandy bridge build so I'd probably spring for a better, more expensive drive in my next build.

Having said that, the PNY drive will do fine you think?

The PNY is a really good value. An SSD is literally the best upgrade you can do, if you're still using a mechanical drive for OS.

The PNY will do fine for your first dip into SSDs. You will wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

Vuze

My components will be here tomorrow, but just realised that the free upgrade of Win10 does not generate a product key. I have a bought copy of Windows 7 on disk from my old PC. Couldn't I just install Windows 7 off this disk on my new build and do the free upgrade again?

Really don't want to spend £80+ on Windows 10.
You should be able to use a Win7/8/8.1 key for installing Win10 since the autumn update or so. Atleast that's what I read just yesterday and that's what I'm planning to do once I purchase my new SSD.

thenexus6

Okay I am very slowly getting there. Last things I swear (sorry for the amount of posts today)

1 - My 2TB is clicking / beeping every couple of minutes. Its my second D drive and I formatted it and everything but its still doing beeping. Any ideas?

2 - I have no sound. I want to just have sound play through my monitor via HDMI this is what I see in the sound settings panel:

XP6apqY.png

My GPU is upto date.

Okay I am very slowly getting there. Last things I swear (sorry for the amount of posts today)

1 - My 2TB is clicking / beeping every couple of minutes. Its my second D drive and I formatted it and everything but its still doing beeping. Any ideas?

2 - I have no sound. I want to just have sound play through my monitor via HDMI this is what I see in the sound settings panel:

XP6apqY.png

My GPU is upto date.

Set it to one of the HDMI ports, you're just outputting to the wrong speakers.

You'll have to guess which one is the right one usually, hopefully one that reports it is plugged in.

Also this is assuming your screen has speakers.

thenexus6

Set it to one of the HDMI ports, you're just outputting to the wrong speakers.

You'll have to guess which one is the right one usually, hopefully one that reports it is plugged in.

Also this is assuming your screen has speakers.

I can't - every HDMI one is greyed out.

Are you sure your screen has speakers?

If so you can try using a different HDMI input, try plugging into a different one and see if will let you output audio from the screen itself.

Sometimes the HDMI inputs will only send video and some will be accept audio + video so that might be the problem.

Try checking your volumes too in the volume control panel (right click the volume icon in the right taskbar).

Other than that not sure what to suggest.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
For 1080p 60fps gaming

Pre-Built version
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/tyMVt6
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (£151.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£73.81 @ Dabs)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£32.46 @ More Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£54.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£267.54 @ Aria PC)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 350W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£54.06 @ More Computers)
Total: £674.81

Or

Pre-Built version
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hxVWMp
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£289.98 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£183.47 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£76.19 @ More Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (£559.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1136.62

Rufus

You should be able to use a Win7/8/8.1 key for installing Win10 since the autumn update or so. Atleast that's what I read just yesterday and that's what I'm planning to do once I purchase my new SSD.
You'll be fine, since you're only changing the SSD(?). You can just go ahead with Win 10, it will detect your machine and activate automatically.

Praxis however might have to call support (and cross his fingers), since he's built an entirely new machine. There's a MS help page that answers these questions.

For people worrying about the Windows 10 issue and changing hardware and all that, it's worth noting that there's a shed load of Education-class CD keys for it on eBay mega cheap at any given time and I've been rocking one of those for 4 or 5 months now just because I swap my hardware about a lot for work and not had a single issue.

thenexus6

Are you sure your screen has speakers?

If so you can try using a different HDMI input, try plugging into a different one and see if will let you output audio from the screen itself.

Sometimes the HDMI inputs will only send video and some will be accept audio + video so that might be the problem.

Try checking your volumes too in the volume control panel (right click the volume icon in the right taskbar).

Other than that not sure what to suggest.

Figured it out, I was using a hdmi to DVI adaptor accuse my monitor only has one HDMI port. Removed it and now its fine.

Ok, hopefully that works, thanks. I am using the media creation tool now so I can try tomorrow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Does your monitor have speakers incorporated or built-in to use? Seems you can't select it because there is nothing for the HDMI to output from your monitor(check to make sure in your monitor's actual settings menu they are turned on if so on)

Edit: nm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom