• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Red

The 4GB version prevents the video card from having its frame times suffer in certain VRAM-heavy games, and indeed does let you use much better texturing settings than normally can be done on the 2GB version.

How much more expensive is the 4GB card over the 2GB?

In my country:
MSI GTX960 2GB 283 USD

MSI GTX960 4GB 316 USD

In amazon they're 205 and 226 USD. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SAYDRP8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yes, PC components are expensive in south america.

TheExodu5

Banned
that would be my first choice for a cube design. you can also look at the Corsair Air240. both similar twin chamber design.

I'm back to the drawing board. I just found out th Bitfenix Pandora has GPU height limitations. So does the Corsair Air240. Not sure about the Node 804.

Maybe I'll just get a Corsair 350D and call it a day.

OneUh8

I'm back to the drawing board. I just found out th Bitfenix Pandora has GPU height limitations. So does the Corsair Air240. Not sure about the Node 804.

Maybe I'll just get a Corsair 350D and call it a day.

I mean people put 980ti's in the node 804 and air240. not sure what gpu you are trying to fit?

OneUh8

For example, I believe th Asus Strix and MSI cards won't fit in an Air240 because the side panel won't close.

You are probably right about that. I stopped looking at the Air 204 personally because of some design issues I had with it. The Node 804 seems to be the best matx cube case I have seen.

TheExodu5

Banned
My main issue with the Node is that it's so damned big for an mATX case. Shame they didn't orient the PSU vertically to cut down on the width. I feel like there's so much wasted space.

I really want that Bitfenix Pandora, but I wonder if the GPU height limitation might bite me in the ass. That's partially what I like about that case though...the space is used quite well. It's a tiny mATX case.

The 350D is the safe, but boring choice. It's also worth noting that for the time being, this is going under my desk, so a tower saves me more leg space than a cube does.

OneUh8

My main issue with the Node is that it's so damned big for an mATX case. Shame they didn't orient the PSU vertically to cut down on the width. I feel like there's so much wasted space.

I really want that Bitfenix Pandora, but I wonder if the GPU height limitation might bite me in the ass. That's partially what I like about that case though...the space is used quite well. It's a tiny mATX case.

The 350D is the safe, but boring choice. It's also worth noting that for the time being, this is going under my desk, so a tower saves me more leg space than a cube does.

Yeah shopping for a case can be a headache lol. I am still undecided on what case I want to use in my upcoming build. Either going ATX mid tower or a mATX cube. There are so many great choices going with a normal ATX tower, but things get dicey going mATX. Good luck with what you choose.

This guy has a 980ti and a h100i in that Bitfenix case. Assuming this is the same case you are looking at.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/FMHNnQ

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah shopping for a case can be a headache lol. I am still undecided on what case I want to use in my upcoming build. Either going ATX mid tower or a mATX cube. There are so many great choices going with a normal ATX tower, but things get dicey going mATX. Good luck with what you choose.

This guy has a 980ti and a h100i in that Bitfenix case. Assuming this is the same case you are looking at.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/FMHNnQ

Yeah I'd basically be forced to go EVGA. At least their coolers seem quite good now....I'm never going back to a reference cooler again.

Any red flags on this bundle?

I've been out of the PC building game for a while but I do have a 970 and some SSDs I would transfer over to a new build so this might be a cheap way to get a new system going as my current one is around 7 years old (i5-750).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also can't wait to buy an AIO water cooling solution for my CPU, whilst super effective, the Noctua fans are just super ugly.

I can't wait to buy an air cooler for my next upgrade as my AIO cooler for CPU is the only thing that makes a noise during use (except at load, obviously). Passive PSU and GPU when at idle.

H60i just in case newer AIOs are much quieter.

Vuze

I can't wait to buy an air cooler for my next upgrade as my AIO cooler for CPU is the only thing that makes a noise during use (except at load, obviously). Passive PSU and GPU when at idle.

H60i just in case newer AIOs are much quieter.
I also have a passive PSU and GPU up to a certain load but my PC still is pretty loud due to the case fans running at full speed anyway :/
Maybe I should put a fan controller or something on the upgrade list as well haha.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a pentium g3420, would it be worth upgrading to a new i3?

Vaettir

I've been out of the PC building game for a while but I do have a 970 and some SSDs I would transfer over to a new build so this might be a cheap way to get a new system going as my current one is around 7 years old (i5-750).

I honestly wouldn't do that deal. Non-K 6600 and a bad Z170 board. You would save more money grabbing a 6500 and finding a more feature packed H170 board for cheaper.

Decision's been made.

Corsair 350D

And I'm returning my Corsair H100i V2 for an H115i, because, why not for $15 more?

Heh, I guess you can never have too much cooling if your new case can fit a 280mm radiator :)

Probably better off "making your own" 6600K bundle or 6500 bundle by making your own list of parts.

I want to upgrade but not sure what to do. The whole thing is just starting to feel slow and annoying doing basic tasks, but I am not sure what is bottle necking. Do you guys reckon I should just get a new motherboard and switch out most of it with that (except the video card and case obviously), or is it worth keeping?

What I got right now:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB S-1155
Intel DP67BGB3 ATX S-1155
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston HyperX (4x2GB)
GTX970 (upgraded from when I bought it)
Cooler Master HAF 922 u/PSU
750W Corsair TX CMPSU-750TXEU 140mm

I want to upgrade but not sure what to do. The whole thing is just starting to feel slow and annoying doing basic tasks, but I am not sure what is bottle necking. Do you guys reckon I should just get a new motherboard and switch out most of it with that (except the video card and case obviously), or is it worth keeping?

What I got right now:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB S-1155
Intel DP67BGB3 ATX S-1155
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston HyperX (4x2GB)
GTX970 (upgraded from when I bought it)
Cooler Master HAF 922 u/PSU
750W Corsair TX CMPSU-750TXEU 140mm

Storage? Want to know if SSD or HDD, and exact model/type.

That i5-2500K is still "good enough", but a 6600K or 6700K offer significant CPU improvements.

Either way, you will be needing a new motherboard if you want to upgrade the CPU.

I had a small samsung SSD in it, but it started acting up a year or so ago, so I took it out (and it was tiny anyway, got it right when they started becoming a thing). So certainly getting a good and fairly big SSD this time around, to go with my other harddrives, which are:

1TB Samsung 7200rpm 32MB SATA2
WD WD30EFRX - 3tb 5,400 RPM

I guess I will be upgrading my motherboard then, I kind of want to do a good overhaul.

Exalted

Anyone know any good BUDGET 1151 board that supports 1440p resolution via the integrated graphics on the I5 6600 (non K). Really hard to find what max resolution motherboards suport. I know that most of the expensive mobos (150-400$) support 1440p, but i'm looking for a cheaper solution if there exists any.

Storage? Want to know if SSD or HDD, and exact model/type.

That i5-2500K is still "good enough", but a 6600K or 6700K offer significant CPU improvements.

Either way, you will be needing a new motherboard if you want to upgrade the CPU.

One more question though, is there any reason at all for me buying a new PSU? I don't have any reason to believe it's dying.

Ianan

Been tempted to do a new build but I think I'm gonna leave it off for another few years and just upgrade my GPU.

Current specs are, i7 3770k, 16GB RAM, nVidia Geforce 670.

The biggest bottleneck for me is the 670 but I kinda wanted to upgrade the whole thing for DDR4 Ram, though it doesn't seem like it offers any significant performance increases yet.

So what do you think Gaf, I was just gonna wait for HBM2 GPU's and then role with that for another 3-4 years.

LilJoka

DRAM OC day today
XMP 3000Mhz 15-16-16-35 2T
Testing 3000Mhz 14-14-14-32 2T

An hour of HCI Memtest passed so far. Looking good, might even be able to squeeze some more out of this G.Skill Trident kit.

To poster above, just went from 3770@4.2Ghz to 6700k 4.5Ghz, no point in wasting money, no noticeable impact at all.
Get a new GPU and overclock the 3770k.

Oxn

Decision's been made.

Corsair 350D

And I'm returning my Corsair H100i V2 for an H115i, because, why not for $15 more?

I would suggest the Phantek Evolv mATX.

But too late.

Been tempted to do a new build but I think I'm gonna leave it off for another few years and just upgrade my GPU.

Current specs are, i7 3770k, 16GB RAM, nVidia Geforce 670.

The biggest bottleneck for me is the 670 but I kinda wanted to upgrade the whole thing for DDR4 Ram, though it doesn't seem like it offers any significant performance increases yet.

So what do you think Gaf, I was just gonna wait for HBM2 GPU's and then role with that for another 3-4 years.

I also have a 3770K and 16GB ram and it runs great. Dunno why you feel you need ddr4 but i think its all in peoples heads.

But do upgrade your GPU though, that thing is old. I would suggest waiting for the GTX 1070 in a month.

One more question though, is there any reason at all for me buying a new PSU? I don't have any reason to believe it's dying.

How long have you been using that particular PSU (how old is it?)

That feeling when you notice that Prime95 is making your CPU hit 81C with a TX3 EVO on auto (which is basically 90% max speed at that point) and you remove the cooler only to find signs off uneven pressure and lack of thermal paste... Isn't fun when you notice that the usual "paste footprint" being non-existent on both sides, with most of the remaining paste being on the very edge of the heat-sink base.

I reinstalled it, making sure that I'm giving it a bit more (it seems like I need a bit more paste than usual with this particular cooler), and pressed down on the push-pins really deep in an alternating pattern (and double-checking by looking at the back of the motherboard tray opening). Sometimes I wonder if I'm still not quite installing push-pin coolers as well as I can. Any tips for future use?

LilJoka

How long have you been using that particular PSU (how old is it?)

That feeling when you notice that Prime95 is making your CPU hit 81C with a TX3 EVO on auto (which is basically 90% max speed at that point) and you remove the cooler only to find signs off uneven pressure and lack of thermal paste... Isn't fun when you notice that the usual "paste footprint" being non-existent on both sides, with most of the remaining paste being on the very edge of the heat-sink base.

I reinstalled it, making sure that I'm giving it a bit more (it seems like I need a bit more paste than usual with this particular cooler), and pressed down on the push-pins really deep in an alternating pattern (and double-checking by looking at the back of the motherboard tray opening). Sometimes I wonder if I'm still not quite installing push-pin coolers as well as I can. Any tips for future use?

This design
IMG_7165.jpg

Just needs more paste than flat based coolers.

When installing push pin type coolers, try to push the opposing diagonal pairs of pins in simultaneously rather than one at a time in a X pattern. Otherwise you end up pushing the paste one way first.

And overall performance will be worse than bolted coolers since the pressure is a lot less.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I guess I have to upgrade my 8GB RAM, huh? There are now VR games looking for 12GB. Sigh. I need ultra low profile ram, too.

TheExodu5

Banned
I would suggest the Phantek Evolv mATX.

But too late.

You win!

I don't know why I didn't take a closer look at it intially. The first look at the inside with the right side bracket made it look like an antiquated case, but after watching a video review, it's anything but.

Thanks!

TheExodu5

Banned
So, what's the noise like from these AIO coolers?

If I'm looking to have a virtually silent PC, would I just be better off with a good air cooler? I usually run my 120mm fans at around 800rpm, so that's roughly the maximum noise level I'm looking for.

I also need to consider that I'm using the Evolv mATX case. It can house a 280mm rad, but since the vents are on the side at the top of the case, I wonder how well it will exhaust.

MisterNoisy

If I'm looking to have a virtually silent PC, would I just be better off with a good air cooler? I usually run my 120mm fans at around 800rpm, so that's roughly the maximum noise level I'm looking for.

My experience is that AiOs are louder than high end air coolers, but have more performance at the top end. If you're not shooting for huge overclocks and looking for silence, I'd recommend a big (120/140mm) air cooler.

That said, you can make a water cooler pretty quiet if you throttle back the fans.

You're getting the H115i, right? After installing the entire thing's hardware part, install Corsair Link. You should be able to play around with speeds (and noise levels).

A good air cooler is likely to be more silent, but if space is limited/you don't want a very heavy tower hanging off the socket...

Also, if the pump seems to be making itself real known, it's probably not normal - RMA it.

I flashed a new bios (thank god for the xmp update) and redid my OC. According to HWMonitor my VID has maxed at 1.266V while my CPU VCORE has maxed at 1.744. In the bios I specified a 1.3V. Is there any reason to be concerned at such a high VCORE? I know its software based so its not 100% accurate but that seems high to me.

I flashed a new bios (thank god for the xmp update) and redid my OC. According to HWMonitor my VID has maxed at 1.266V while my CPU VCORE has maxed at 1.744. In the bios I specified a 1.3V. Is there any reason to be concerned at such a high VCORE? I know its software based so its not 100% accurate but that seems high to me.

Faulty reading no doubt. What does it say in CPU-Z? What motherboard and CPU btw?

LilJoka

You sure it's Vcore and not VID?
How did you specify the vcore? Manual or offset or adaptive?
What CPU?

OneUh8

I also need to consider that I'm using the Evolv mATX case. It can house a 280mm rad, but since the vents are on the side at the top of the case, I wonder how well it will exhaust.

Top exhaust is a bit limited in that case. You can always swap the stock Corsair fans on the H115i with some Noctua pwm fans which will push more air and be quieter.

LilJoka

Dumb I totally forgot about CPU-Z. Its reading out a Core Voltage of 1.296 which seems more in line. No specific VID output in CPU-Z. 6600k and Z170xp-sli.

6600k. I manually specified the vcore.

Yep just stick to CPUz.
It shouldn't go over that manual vcore if that's how you've set it.

Yep just stick to CPUz.
The only thing about my Gigabyte board I don't like so far is that some options in the bios are not explained whatsoever. For instance, trying to figure out what "voltage optimization" does is a real PITA, among other things.

Yep just stick to CPUz.

The only thing about my Gigabyte board I don't like so far is that some options in the bios are not explained whatsoever. For instance, trying to figure out what "voltage optimization" does is a real PITA, among other things.

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to keep stress testing everything but I think the bios finally solved the rest of my issues with my MB. Ya some of the options are damn vague.

Cross post from the pascal thread, but does anyone have any experience with EVGA's step up program? From what I understand you can upgrade your gpu for 90 days and only pay the difference between what you paid and what EVGA is selling the new one for? That way I could get a 970 now and then a 1070-1080 at release.

hohoXD123

Is there any reason why someone would not recommend that I get the Asus z170A? Read somewhere it's a bit flimsy so not sure how well it'll hold up with a noctua d15

Raide

I have a question.

I usually build my own PC's and I currently have an ok system.

I-5 4460
12Gb Ram
GTX 660
Win 10 64bit
120Gb SSD
1Tb Sata HDD
Coolermaster case.

Its a nice system for what I do and that's play a few random games and not worry too much. I am just about to make a move and I am in two minds about the PC.

(1) Try to condense what I have above into a much smaller case and take it with me.

or

(2) Try and sell it and get a moderate laptop instead.

UK Based if that's helps. Not sure if I could sell it to a GAF member that's want an upgrade etc.

Cheers all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom