• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $429.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-30 14:28 EDT-0400

Looks like I'm going with this build.

I should be able to get another $30 off the processor at MicroCetner by buying it with the Motherboard from there at the same time. Also the motherboard is an open box, so $96 and then a $10 rebate. Many of the above parts I'm transferring over from my current setup (i52500k/12gbDDR3/GTX570). So I'm actually shaving about $95 off that cost above

Going to use the 570 until the new cards come out in the next couple months.

So before moving forward I thought I would take a shot at my first OC ever.

Was able to get up to 4.4 Ghz stable pretty easily on my first shot on my 2500k tonight using 1.35V. Runs at about 50C.

Prime 95 passed all tests after running for about 6.5 hours there so I'm feeling good there unless I should be looking at something else as my barometer.

A question I have is on my RAM. right now I have 12gb DDR3 at 1333mhz.

Would it be worth replacing what I have with 2133mhz?
Does my motherboard (ASUS P8P67 Pro) even accept 2133mhz?
Would I need to do the overclock again if did upgrade (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes)?

LilJoka

Was able to get up to 4.4 Ghz stable pretty easily on my first shot on my 2500k tonight using 1.35V. Runs at about at 50C.

Prime 95 passed all tests after running for about 6.5 hours there so I'm feeling good there unless I should be looking at something else as my barometer.

Would I need to do the overclock again if did upgrade (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes)?

It would help keeping those minimum fps from dipping as much.

Yes it supports
Max. 32GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 H

Yes you'll need to test the CPU again as its IMC will be overclocked and can effect core stability, at worst a notch or two of extra vcore maybe warranted.

Vamp

I have a old PC, Phenom X4 3.2GHz, 4GB ram and Raden 5830, I dont have money for a new one and I would like to upgrade the GPU so i can play some games (dark souls 1).
What would be the best GPU for this PC?

ISee

I have a old PC, Phenom X4 3.2GHz, 4GB ram and Raden 5830, I dont have money for a new one and I would like to upgrade the GPU so i can play some games (dark souls 1).
What would be the best GPU for this PC?

What's your budget?

Was able to get up to 4.4 Ghz stable pretty easily on my first shot on my 2500k tonight using 1.35V. Runs at about 50C.

Honestly if you're planing to go for Pascal/Polaris in the future, go for a new CPU aswell instead of just switching your ram and overclocking your trusted 2500k. And of course if you can spend a bit more...

I was rocking my i5 3570k @ 4.3gh, 16gb of ddr3 2400mhz and a gtx 980 for some time. Performance was good and I was able to hit ~60fps in most cases with a mix of high/v.high settings most of the time. Granted fps went down sometimes, especially in certain games like Witcher 3 (city areas), GTA V, Just Cause 3 etc. but it never bothered me as I really don't care if fps go down from 60 to mid 50s for a short duration.
Also upgrading my i5 3570k to skylake wouldn't give me a huge perfromance improvement, according to most reviews, benchmarks etc.

But this week I had to buy a new mobo (old one died) and I went for the new skylake architecture (because if you have to buy something new...). And the improvement in performance is huge, especially in CPU bound scenarios.
GTX 980+

Just Cause 3 - i5 3570k @ 3.3 ghz (~54fps)
Just Cause 3 - i7 6700k @ 3.3 ghz (~94fps)
Just Cause 3 - i7 6700k @ 3.3ghz without Hyperthreading (~89fps) (so practicall an i5 6600k?).

Just in case you're wondering if upgrading from an i5 2500k to an i5 6600k is a good idea. And I'm aware that performance will not improve that dramatically in all games but just to give you a couple of more examples. In Witcher 3 my minimum FPS in Novigrad went up from ~56fps to ~72 fps.

I dont have a set budget, I was just thinking what would be best GPU that doesn't get bottleneck by the rest of the system

How much are you willing/able to spend? It's important to know before anyone starts recommending parts for you.

Edit: a 370 maybe or even a 380 (My wife has a quad core AMD CPU paired with a 7970 GHz edition... It's ok mostly) but we also need to know what power supply and case you have.

If you plan on upgrading more later on, you could go with a 390/390X if your PSU/case can handle it, then upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM, later...

ISee

I dont have a set budget, I was just thinking what would be best GPU that doesn't get bottleneck by the rest of the system

Really hard to recommend something here. If I remember correctly the Raden 5830 was a bit slower than the gtx 460. So going for a 750Ti (~100 €) could give you a +30-40% boost in GPU performance.

rrs

Hey all! So I am planning out a build for a frenemy with basically unlimited money (that's always nice, right?).

Anywho, he wants the 6700K and he's leaning towards the Maximus Hero Alpha motherboard. Both great choices but then I have the problem with memory. He wants at least 16GB but he wants it to be fast and more importantly a perfect pairing to overclock the 6700K toas far and stable as it can go.

Mind you this purchase of his is going to happen in June-ish or so. He's waiting on the the new Nvidia GPUs to be announced/released. So if anyone has any recommendations for the above, I would greatly appreciate it!

Hey all! So I am planning out a build for a frenemy with basically unlimited money (that's always nice, right?).

Anywho, he wants the 6700K and he's leaning towards the Maximus Hero Alpha motherboard. Both great choices but then I have the problem with memory. He wants at least 16GB but he wants it to be fast and more importantly a perfect pairing to overclock the 6700K toas far and stable as it can go.

Mind you this purchase of his is going to happen in June-ish or so. He's waiting on the the new Nvidia GPUs to be announced/released. So if anyone has any recommendations for the above, I would greatly appreciate it!

Unlimited budget, eh?

One would be the sensible rig even with the knowledge of the "unlimited budget" as you probably don't need all the bells and whistles, just good performance. This rig assumes it's never going SLI, but could use additional features with a nice motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.45 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($653.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1975.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 09:32 EDT-0400

This computer will take him anywhere he wants to go without ever going bad :) (and is relatively nice to the wallet all things considered)

And another for if you want to go crazy with said unlimited budget. Might as well as go dual-980 Ti. And the best motherboard you can get before getting excessive.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($192.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($653.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($653.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2821.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 09:38 EDT-0400

Note that price per GB on the memory is not optimal, as I intend to make sure the RAM is standard profile AND use only two slots on the motherboard. Also do note: if you prefer EVGA PSUs, feel free to do so - the only stuff around that 1000W tier are the good stuff, anyway, once you filter out everything else into just full modular, 80+ Gold or better PSUs. There's also a faster Asus card, but that may or may not be into your tastes. Feel free to keep the previous SSD + HDD configuration if you need more total space, or go for broke and get a 2TB SSD.

Do tell if he wants a louder or more muted styling. This should be acceptable looking for most people (in fact, quite handsome) :p

Soodanim

Lately after an hour or more of gaming I will get a pop up and jingle saying G-Sync display connected. In Dark Souls 3 it results in the screen going back until I alt-tab out and in, which I'm sure you can imagine isn't ideal.

I tried only displaying the image on the non-G-Sync display but it happened again. My first guess is something to do with the monitor or connection to it sleeping and waking, but I don't know if that's Windows, Nvidia, or the monitor making it happen.

Does it ring any bells?

Win 10
970, drivers not updated since the system killer ones
AOC G2460PG via DisplayPort (the G-Sync one)
Sony TV via HDMI

Honestly if you're planing to go for Pascal/Polaris in the future, go for a new CPU aswell instead of just switching your ram and overclocking your trusted 2500k. And of course if you can spend a bit more...

I was rocking my i5 3570k @ 4.3gh, 16gb of ddr3 2400mhz and a gtx 980 for some time. Performance was good and I was able to hit ~60fps in most cases with a mix of high/v.high settings most of the time. Granted fps went down sometimes, especially in certain games like Witcher 3 (city areas), GTA V, Just Cause 3 etc. but it never bothered me as I really don't care if fps go down from 60 to mid 50s for a short duration.
Also upgrading my i5 3570k to skylake wouldn't give me a huge perfromance improvement, according to most reviews, benchmarks etc.

But this week I had to buy a new mobo (old one died) and I went for the new skylake architecture (because if you have to buy something new...). And the improvement in performance is huge, especially in CPU bound scenarios.
GTX 980+

Just Cause 3 - i5 3570k @ 3.3 ghz (~54fps)
Just Cause 3 - i7 6700k @ 3.3 ghz (~94fps)
Just Cause 3 - i7 6700k @ 3.3ghz without Hyperthreading (~89fps) (so practicall an i5 6600k?).

Just in case you're wondering if upgrading from an i5 2500k to an i5 6600k is a good idea. And I'm aware that performance will not improve that dramatically in all games but just to give you a couple of more examples. In Witcher 3 my minimum FPS in Novigrad went up from ~56fps to ~72 fps.

Thanks for the input there! And the write up. I really just need to make a decision here.

Hey guys,

My friend has recently his upgraded his GPU and mobo after 5 years and is now looking for a new CPU. The motherboard he got was this:

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Micro-Motherboard-M5A78L-M-USB3/dp/B0054U7HIO

His GPU is a GTX 960, so he's going definitely mid-tier for this build. Would this CPU be a good pairing for it?

https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-6-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=FXG6R8Y7GYHPAM9R70G4

Cheers. The links are for amazon.ca so hopefully it works for everyone. Not going to buy from there though. Cheaper places around.

In case the links don't work the CPU is a M5A78L-M/USB3 and the CPU he's looking at is a AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition.

Megabat

Hey guys,

My friend has recently his upgraded his GPU and mobo after 5 years and is now looking for a new CPU. The motherboard he got was this:

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Micro-Motherboard-M5A78L-M-USB3/dp/B0054U7HIO

His GPU is a GTX 960, so he's going definitely mid-tier for this build. Would this CPU be a good pairing for it?

https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-6-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=FXG6R8Y7GYHPAM9R70G4

Cheers. The links are for amazon.ca so hopefully it works for everyone. Not going to buy from there though. Cheaper places around.

In case the links don't work the CPU is a M5A78L-M/USB3 and the CPU he's looking at is a AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition.

Both of those parts are fine. If you can find an FX-8300 for something close to the 6300, it's worth it.

Smokey

How useful is a motherboard with built-in WiFi & Bluetooth in the PC/Windows world?

Speaking from my own experience...I've use the built in wifi on my Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard for some time and it works fine. Obviously wired would be preferred, but it's not really an option for me at the moment.

Megabat

If money is actually unlimited, I would go for something along these lines: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ywBf7

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($347.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($278.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($157.12 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($314.77 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($859.01 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1003.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1003.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $4210.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 11:28 EDT-0400

In a customized Caselabs Merlin SM8. Once you get to a certain price point, you just don't buy stock.

And, uh, if money is actually, really limitless, they should just put four Titan X cards on a dual 5960X-Supermicro board... even though the 6700K is the newest architecture.

kennah

I'll look into that one too. Cheers.

I've honestly forgotten what his old one was. It was a 6 year old 6 core AMD CPU. We're in Ontario, we usually use wintronic computers which is a local place.
Not to be a jerk, but it's replacing a 6 year old cpu with a 4 year old cpu.

Of course pricing being the way that it is you're looking at a pretty high price in Canada to go to Anything modern.

I'd try and find a used 2500k with motherboard for what you're spending on the and. But I guess it's too late if y'all already have the motherboard.

Or better yet get an i3 6300 (lol same name) and cheap board for $100 more.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I'm thinking of not putting my 2TB HDDs into my new build. I kind of hate the noise of HDDs so I want to keep my PC quiet. I also hate it when NVidia backend or Steam slow down as they have to scan my HDDs.

So, I'll be using a 1TB SSD. That should be okay for the most part, but if I did want to expand my storage options, would it be at all possible to just use an external enclosure? I'm talking about actually running games off the external drives if I have to. It would be great to have a 4 bay enclosure that could accomplish this.

So I'm thinking of not putting my 2TB HDDs into my new build. I kind of hate the noise of HDDs so I want to keep my PC quiet. I also hate it when NVidia backend or Steam slow down as they have to scan my HDDs.

So, I'll be using a 1TB SSD. That should be okay for the most part, but if I did want to expand my storage options, would it be at all possible to just use an external enclosure? I'm talking about actually running games off the external drives if I have to. It would be great to have a 4 bay enclosure that could accomplish this.

I wouldn't run it off an external... but you could have backups of the Steam downloads there. So you could just copy the games to your SSD when you feel like it.

1TB is pretty big for games though. I only have a few games installed at a time, personally.

How the heck do you only hit 80c in prime95 at 1.55v? What cooling have you got?
The voltage is also way too high and you are playing the gamble with degredation. Stick with 4.4.

What is the board?

Ooops! I meant 1.355! Somehow I didn't actually notice the typo even when talking about the number.

So yeah, it's either 4.4Ghz at 1.300v and a max temp of 60ºC, or 4.5Ghz at 1.355 and a max temp of 82ºC.

Some vive games do stutter. I have a 970 at 980. Money isn't the big problem but I'm looking to spent my money into an upgrade which makes sense and lasts long.

If you want a new CPU I'd look at the 6600k or 6700k. You can also consider the X99 platform, with the 5820k (or the broadwell-e replacement next month or so, the 6800k IIRC).

edit: oh, good point kennah.

Momentary

Banned
Well, I've finally decided to do the next build myself and doing hardlines without bending by using a couple of more fittings.

I'm thinking of going with a Broadwell-E 6900K (8 core) and 64GB of DDR4 Ram. I work in cyber security and do static and dynamic forensics in VM test environments along with managing a home /experimenting network (ACAS, HBSS, Nessus, ect). I'm also hoping that capturing game with OBS and Shadowplay at higher quality will result in smoother video footage without impact in gaming. Right now I'm running on laptop grade i7 with 16 GB of ram and it feels terribly lacking in performance.

I'm also thinking about omitting mechanical drives entirely.

I don't think I'd be happy with 32 gigs especially with running multiple virtual environments.

Thrakier

If you want a new CPU I'd look at the 6600k or 6700k. You can also consider the X99 platform, with the 5820k (or the broadwell-e replacement next month or so, the 6800k IIRC).

edit: oh, good point kennah.

My old thermal right heatsink probably isn't compatible with that? It's a macho.

Megabat

My old thermal right heatsink probably isn't compatible with that?

It could be. What model is it? Also, I think you should go for a 5820K for VR stuff. Those newer engines seem to scale really well across >4 cores, judging from how well people are doing on FX-8xxx CPU's.

If you do have to get a new HSF, get a Noctua. They'll send you new mounting hardware (for free) every time the platform changes.

Edit: I see your edit now. And should have been able to answer before. If it works with 1155, it'll work with 1151 - but not 2011.

So, it's fine for 66/6700K, but not 5820K CPU's.

Thrakier

It could be. What model is it? Also, I think you should go for a 5820K for VR stuff. Those newer engines seem to scale really well across >4 cores, judging from how well people are doing on FX-8xxx CPU's.

If you do have to get a new HSF, get a Noctua. They'll send you new mounting hardware (for free) every time the platform changes.

Edit: I see your edit now. And should have been able to answer before. If it works with 1155, it'll work with 1151 - but not 2011.

So, it's fine for 66/6700K, but not 5820K CPU's.

Thanks. Would there be benefit to try to stick with the 2500k for half a year or so? Most games do run fine, it's about 25 percent which stink a little bit. No complete mess, just ocasional stutter. I'm not even sure if it's just badly optimisation by the devs. However, the 2500k is from 2011....and it's 2016 now.

Canklestank

Neo Member
It wasn't the fans that were loud, it's the pumps.
I run air cooling now where by all case fans turn off at idle and my CPU fan runs at like 600rpm. PSU fan also off at idle.
At load the fans only spin up at 70c CPU temps which is rare, so the PC is always silent without any buzzing.

The H80i died in 3 months so I got the EK L120 kit.

Both kits cooled my 3960X at 4.7Ghz, so performance was fine.

Sold the rig in its entirety and now gone for a 6700k cooled by my Venomous X.

My suggestion for a larger radiator was for the "not enough impact" part of your post. I don't know if your H80 had the option, but the newer ones have a "quiet mode" for the pump that you can set in Corsair Link. It sounds like you love silence though, so that may not be enough for you if most of your fans don't run at all most of the time.

Unlimited budget, eh?

One would be the sensible rig even with the knowledge of the "unlimited budget" as you probably don't need all the bells and whistles, just good performance. This rig assumes it's never going SLI, but could use additional features with a nice motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.45 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($653.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1975.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 09:32 EDT-0400

This computer will take him anywhere he wants to go without ever going bad :) (and is relatively nice to the wallet all things considered)

And another for if you want to go crazy with said unlimited budget. Might as well as go dual-980 Ti. And the best motherboard you can get before getting excessive.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($192.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2821.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 09:38 EDT-0400

Note that price per GB on the memory is not optimal, as I intend to make sure the RAM is standard profile AND use only two slots on the motherboard. Also do note: if you prefer EVGA PSUs, feel free to do so - the only stuff around that 1000W tier are the good stuff, anyway, once you filter out everything else into just full modular, 80+ Gold or better PSUs. There's also a faster Asus card, but that may or may not be into your tastes. Feel free to keep the previous SSD + HDD configuration if you need more total space, or go for broke and get a 2TB SSD.

Do tell if he wants a louder or more muted styling. This should be acceptable looking for most people (in fact, quite handsome) :p

If money is actually unlimited, I would go for something along these lines: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ywBf7

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($347.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($278.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($157.12 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($314.77 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($859.01 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $4210.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 11:28 EDT-0400

In a customized Caselabs Merlin SM8. Once you get to a certain price point, you just don't buy stock.

And, uh, if money is actually, really limitless, they should just put four Titan X cards on a dual 5960X-Supermicro board... even though the 6700K is the newest architecture.

Thank you guys so much. Will run these by him. Really appreciate the effort and the prices! Haha!

New $3 mouse pad from Walmart and new mouse feet for my G700. Sooooooooo good. Probably the most satisfying, cheap, and simple maintenance you can do for your computing experience.

LaneDS

Bought this case back in 2011 and I'm noticing that the top, front, and rear case fans will all shut off at once. Initially didn't realize that they were doing that in tandem and figured I just needed to replace the fans, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone encounter a similar problem before? Wondering if I should replace the case (using the fan control unit on top of the case will immediately get all three spinning again for a while, until they just shut themselves off again) or actually go out and buy new fans. Not sure what the shelf life on fans usually is, but the case still has all three of the stock Corsair fans installed in it.

Feedback appreciated!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can someone recommend me some anti virus software for my new PC? Using Avast and Malwarebytes free editions atm

ISee

Can someone recommend me some anti virus software for my new PC? Using Avast and Malwarebytes free editions atm

I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet Security 16 and I'm happy with it, but Norton, Avira Antivirus and Bitdefender are also good.

Hi guys

Basically I've been having issues with my system blue-screening whilst I play any game, no matter how demanding (or not) they are on the system. The games include The Sims 4, Need For Speed 2016, GTA V, The Witcher 3, Star Wars Battlefront and Stardew Valley. The blue-screens occur within 30 - 45 mins of me being in the game and the error messages are different each time.

The system was purchased from Scan in March this year and I was told to to load the standard 3XS profile to see if removing the over-clock helped - which it did, But now the bios is freezing when I try to load the 3XS over-clock profile, it hangs for however long I leave it until I hard reset the system. When the standard 3XS profile was loaded it happened within a second so something isn't right.

Just in case they are needed the full specs are:

Chassis - NZXT H440 Matte Black Edition
Power Supply - Corsair 750W CS750 modular, quiet, 80PLUS GOLD
Motherboard - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with SupremeFX Audio & Intel NIC
Processor - Intel Core i7 6700K "Skylake" Quad Core professionally overclocked to 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz DDR4
Graphics Card - 6GB EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC
Sound Card - Asus onboard SupremeFX
System Drive - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Storage Drive - 2TB Western Digital Green HDD
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit

Any ideas?

DjRalford

ok, i have pretty much convinced the Missus that i need a GPU upgrade, and maybe sneak in some speedier ram too.

At the moment i have

i7 4790K
16GB DDR3 CL9 1600Mhz
XFX 7970 DD Black
Maximus VII Gene

I'll be replacing my RAM with 32GB of 2400mhz DDR3, CL11 (minimal improvement i'm sure but one i want to make none the less)

The case only supports upto 310mm GPU's so the 980Ti @ 328mm is out.

Now it's between the Fury X or the R9 Nano, at the moment i use my PC on the TV at 1080p, but in around a years time i hope to be able to sweet talk a 4k TV out of the missus, so i need something that can do me well at 1080P 60FPS solid, then maybe a year or so at 4k until the next GPU upgrade.

The nano seems awfully close in performance to the Fury X, but i keep reading about it being power limited and thermally throttling to 900Mhz, game FPS wise though it seems to be within 10% of the Fury X most of the time

Anyone have either of these and care to share their performance?

It's a shitty time to buy really, so maybe i can just keep going with my 7970 and i'd be better off holding out for the new AMD cards.

EDIT

Hi guys

Basically I've been having issues with my system blue-screening whilst I play any game, no matter how demanding (or not) they are on the system. The games include The Sims 4, Need For Speed 2016, GTA V, The Witcher 3, Star Wars Battlefront and Stardew Valley. The blue-screens occur within 30 - 45 mins of me being in the game and the error messages are different each time.

The system was purchased from Scan in March this year and I was told to to load the standard 3XS profile to see if removing the over-clock helped - which it did, But now the bios is freezing when I try to load the 3XS over-clock profile, it hangs for however long I leave it until I hard reset the system. When the standard 3XS profile was loaded it happened within a second so something isn't right.

Just in case they are needed the full specs are:

Chassis - NZXT H440 Matte Black Edition
Power Supply - Corsair 750W CS750 modular, quiet, 80PLUS GOLD
Motherboard - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with SupremeFX Audio & Intel NIC
Processor - Intel Core i7 6700K "Skylake" Quad Core professionally overclocked to 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz DDR4
Graphics Card - 6GB EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC
Sound Card - Asus onboard SupremeFX
System Drive - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Storage Drive - 2TB Western Digital Green HDD
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit

Any ideas?

It may be professionally overclocked but have you tried dialling back the CPU to rule it out?

TheExodu5

Banned
I wouldn't run it off an external... but you could have backups of the Steam downloads there. So you could just copy the games to your SSD when you feel like it.

1TB is pretty big for games though. I only have a few games installed at a time, personally.

With eSATA the drives should be just as fast externally though, shouldn't they? I'm just looking for a way to decouple my mechanical drives from my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom