• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

Hey guys, I was thinking about building another gaming HTPC for my birthday, this time for the TV in my living room. My mom owns this Samsung Smart TV:

I thought it would be perfect for a budget 4K gaming/media streaming HTPC. I was going for the Gigabyte motherboard with wi-fi antennas since the Gigabyte motherboard (and the graphics card) for the 2nd PC that I had built was solid. However, I was wondering about how the antennas are reliable for Wi-Fi. I also thought about getting an RX 470 8GB for 4K gaming, but I am not sure if 8GB or VRAM is necessary for 4K gaming. Another concern I have is the PSU for the build. Are Silverstone's PSUs any good for their cases?

Here are the parts that I plan to get for my birthday.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($97.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 8GB Gaming X Video Card ($229.89 @ B&H)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $808.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-09 18:02 EST-0500

Any feedback and suggestions for this build are strongly welcome as always.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.91 @ Jet)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.83 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($249.99 @ Jet)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad ($27.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $835.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-10 01:54 EST-0500

I would get something like this

1. Skylake CPU/motherboard/DDR4 ram
2. 1060 over a RX470 for about the same price.
3. Added an SSD. Only 1TB hard disk, might be a bit small, but you can add more later.
4. Whatever case you want. Just pick something cheap and simple if you're on a budget. Picking the smallest mini m-ITX PC case may reduce compatible parts like graphics cards or power supplies and also make it hard to build. Up to you though.
5. You could also go an i3 CPU if you want to reduce your budget more. If you like typical multi platform games an i3 is generally fairly sufficient because the PS4 and Xbox One have crappy CPUs right now. Other PC only games might be a bit more CPU intensive. Again depends on what you want to play.
6. As for 4k gaming, not unless you turn some graphics settings down on a GTX 1060. But it'll run 1080p great.
7. I'd also leave the Wifi off the motherboard. Just grab a $5-10 USB wifi stick with antenna.
8. Oops - replace the microATX motherboard with a miniITX motherboard and case :) but you get the idea... I think you can squeeze more out of the $800 you have there.

onken

What's the latest and greatest in the HTPC world these days? I want to build a small living room Windows PC for media and emulators (Wii/PS2 level)

LilJoka

Joco, try running a game while logging with something like HWiNFO which can pick up a lot more data on the CPU.

We already captured a log from msi ab.

Appreciate the tip. My problem is that I really have no idea what I should be looking for when running these kinds of programs.

Have we checked event viewer appliction logs?

What is the cpu frequency doing when the problem occurs?

openrob

Hey guys, I wan to build a basic PC for my Mum for Xmas as her laptop kicked the bucket recently.

Parts I have:
PSU
4GB RAM
HDD
DVD Drive

I need a CPU/MoBo (and obviously a case), but not sure what to go for. No GPU will be used.

The computer will be the basic internet, watching On Demand stuff, etc. I am so used to gaming setups so not sure what to do with building an underpowered PC lol.
Do I go for an AMD APU, Intel - I don't know!

cebri.one

Hi GAF,

My SSD write speeds seem low (850 250GB), does anyone know what could be the reason? Thanks.

jrSPM6i.jpg

JMTHEFOX

What's your budget? You should 100% go for skylake, not haswell, at this point. I'll suggest some components after knowing your budget.

Also what games are you playing? You'll have to make compromises at 4k but if you're not too picky (or play slightly older titles) you can definitely have a good time.

My budget is $900 or at least less that $900.

I will be playing The Witcher 3, Mad Max, Halo 5 Forge, Shadow of Mordor and Spec Ops: The Line in 4K. I also plan to get Gears 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 and Skyrim on my birthday.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($249.99 @ Jet)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad ($27.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $835.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-10 01:54 EST-0500

I would get something like this

1. Skylake CPU/motherboard/DDR4 ram
2. 1060 over a RX470 for about the same price.
3. Added an SSD. Only 1TB hard disk, might be a bit small, but you can add more later.
4. Whatever case you want. Just pick something cheap and simple if you're on a budget. Picking the smallest mini m-ITX PC case may reduce compatible parts like graphics cards or power supplies and also make it hard to build. Up to you though.
5. You could also go an i3 CPU if you want to reduce your budget more. If you like typical multi platform games an i3 is generally fairly sufficient because the PS4 and Xbox One have crappy CPUs right now. Other PC only games might be a bit more CPU intensive. Again depends on what you want to play.
6. As for 4k gaming, not unless you turn some graphics settings down on a GTX 1060. But it'll run 1080p great.
7. I'd also leave the Wifi off the motherboard. Just grab a $5-10 USB wifi stick with antenna.
8. Oops - replace the microATX motherboard with a miniITX motherboard and case :) but you get the idea... I think you can squeeze more out of the $800 you have there.

Wow, those suggestions look interesting. Nice advice on the mini-itx cases and motherboards.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hi GAF,

My SSD write speeds seem low (850 250GB), does anyone know what could be the reason? Thanks.

Based on the 250gb size I'm assuming it's a Samsung 850 Evo? What motherboard are you using and have you installed the latest motherboard chipset drivers? Have you installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers that came with your motherboard? Based on your screenshot I'm assuming your running Windows 10 right?

rrs

Appreciate the tip. My problem is that I really have no idea what I should be looking for when running these kinds of programs.
there's a logging feature on it, just paste the CSV file it spits out here and I'll see if anything is out of the ordinary. Although, the program I linked to has a section in the sensor menu about anything that would limit performance whatsoever. If anything in there ever goes to yes, then it could be a CPU issue

cebri.one

Based on the 250gb size I'm assuming it's a Samsung 850 Evo? What motherboard are you using and have you installed the latest motherboard chipset drivers? Have you installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers that came with your motherboard? Based on your screenshot I'm assuming your running Windows 10 right?

1) 850 EVO
2) Z170XP-SLI from Gygabyte, i believe i have all the latest drivers.
3) I have just download them and installed them,but no change
4) W10 yes

rrs

Wow, those suggestions look interesting. Nice advice on the mini-itx cases and motherboards.
I did some improvments to his part list, including a case that will actually fit long GPUs. Also, now you have enough money to either save for a video game or replace intel's awful stock cooler. Don't forget the sata cables, you might longer cords to connect the drives to the motherboard than those included.

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($249.99 @ Jet) (480 8GB is on par if you prefer team red and a TDP increase)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.97 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($30.88 @ OutletPC) (USB WiFi cards are all bad, trust me)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad ($28.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $856.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-10 11:01 EST-0500

Celcius

°Temp. member
1) 850 EVO
2) Z170XP-SLI from Gygabyte, i believe i have all the latest drivers.
3) I have just download them and installed them,but no change
4) W10 yes

In the intel rapid storage technology app did you see an option related to sata power savings or something like that? Otherwise do you see anything in Samsung Magician related to power savings?

ZBR

I have a quick question. So I bought a mushkin sata 3 ssd. What sata port do I plug that into on the motherboard? I have a little box that says sata express on top of it that has 4 or 5 ports and then next to it is smaller box with only two sata ports. I also have a 2tb HDD that I want to plug in, should I wait until after I boot windows up or can I plug it now? I want to make sure I install windows on the correct drive.

Yeah, it does sound like the motherboard shutting itself down to prevent overheating. Have you checked to make sure the CPU cooler is properly secured?

CPU is stock with a stock fan, no-overclocking. Everything is dusted and clean. I used to have temps. in the high 70's. After sudden shutdowns started happening (after I tried running new games like Doom and Alien Isolation (Civ 6 and Anno 2205 are fine) I removed the stock fan for an extra clean only to find out no thermal paste is sold in my entire city... I left the paste residue as is (I didn't scrape it off) but of course now it is worse with temps nearly reaching 100 (PC shuts down before triple digits register.

No biggie. I am HOPING it is just the CPU and when I buy a new 7th gen intel next month (along with forced new mobo and RAM) everything should be okay and I'll be set for another 6 years or so.

I am just disappointed there aren't any mainstream 6 cores or higher since quad cores first appears many moons ago. Zen will have 8 and by the time I upgrade next (mid cycle into a Playstation 5) I am expecting to have more than damn 4 cores as mainstream.

rrs

Is that 850 connected to a 6.0 data port/cable? Also, I think those fast write speeds need some feature enabled to get them, from what I read on the promo page
I have a quick question. So I bought a mushkin sata 3 ssd. What sata port do I plug that into on the motherboard? I have a little box that says sata express on top of it that has 4 or 5 ports and then next to it is smaller box with only two sata ports. I also have a 2tb HDD that I want to plug in, should I wait until after I boot windows up or can I plug it now? I want to make sure I install windows on the correct drive.
Sata express ones, as such ports are 6.0 Gbps ones. And yeah, wait to put in the other drive until windows is installed, makes things easier

rtcn63

Google your motherboard and check which SATA 3 ports are Intel (as opposed to say, Asmedia etc.) Use that port. The 2TB HDD can probably be plugged into a SATA 2 port if you're out of the 3's, and it should be fine to add after you've installed Windows. You'll just have to go into Disk Management and manually format the drive. (Google that too, I did it recently with a secondary SSD, no issues)

JMTHEFOX

I did some improvments to his part list, including a case that will actually fit long GPUs. Also, now you have enough money to either save for a video game or replace intel's awful stock cooler. Don't forget the sata cables, you might longer cords to connect the drives to the motherboard than those included.

I like your improvements so far, though the case you chose is too big for the TV's cabinet IMHO.

Also, any recommendations for a good USB WI-FI antenna?

JMTHEFOX

The one in the build sheet is a pci-e one, but for good USB antennas I dunno.

Oh, okay then. Thank you so much for the advice! :)

This should be the final list for now.

Case: Silverstone GD09B HTPC Case ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.97 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($30.88 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad ($28.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $879.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-10 11:35 EST-0500

rrs

Oh, okay then. Thank you so much for the advice! :)
Anyways, got specific measurements for fitting in the cabinet? If there's a lack of depth, it's easy enough to replace the case with something with less depth and the GPU with a 1xfan itx build cooler Looks good to me, gpu clearance is a painful game

Considering buying the ASUS VG248QE today. Is there a better option for the money now? I know the monitor has been on the market for a while. Don't really want to go above $300 if possible. Just wanted to check before I pull the trigger.

Mozendo

Considering buying the ASUS VG248QE today. Is there a better option for the money now? I know the monitor has been on the market for a while. Don't really want to go above $300 if possible. Just wanted to check before I pull the trigger.

The MG248Q is the updated VG248QE and has freesync support, but I've been told the the ViewSonic XG2401 is one of the the best 144hz monitor to get under $300 (not counting refurb sales) due to color reproduction.

What graphics card do you have?

The MG248Q is the updated VG248QE and has freesync support, but I've been told the the ViewSonic XG2401 is one of the the best 144hz monitor to get under $300 (not counting refurb sales) due to color reproduction.

What graphics card do you have?

1060 with 6GBvram

I wouldn't mind trying G Sync or BenQ panels in general. I just read some people have nausea issues with the Asus, something about the screen flickering slightly. I wouldn't be completely opposed if I have to push the budget to 350

Which GTX 1070 should I opt for?

Is there much difference based on the various brands or should I just get the cheapest one (seems to be the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming)?

I've heard various people see the Palit models are the best, with good performance and cooling, but is there much difference between the pre-overclocked cards?

belmonkey

Is there anything weird to watch out for (maybe drivers?) when switching to a different GPU vendor? Ever since I swapped out my Nvidia GPU for an AMD one, quite a few of my online games have had unplayable rubberbanding problems.

Looking for adivce with a router and wireless nic solutions. My son and daughter are roughly 50 feet from my router. They are on the first floor of the house and I am on the 2nd, opposite side of the house. Their wireless download speed is "ok" but sometimes their online gaming experience has them lagging.

I have a Netgear WND4500 router and they have usb wireless solutions which had on the box "best for gaming".

Is the router I have good enough? Any suggestions on a good router/ wireless nics for them?

Bloodember

Is there anything weird to watch out for (maybe drivers?) when switching to a different GPU vendor? Ever since I swapped out my Nvidia GPU for an AMD one, quite a few of my online games have had unplayable rubberbanding problems.

Did you uninstall the drivers from the Nvidia card? Did you use a dislay driver cleaner? Plus rubberbanding has nothing to do with GPU, that's server lag.

rrs

Is there much difference based on the various brands or should I just get the cheapest one (seems to be the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming)?

I've heard various people see the Palit models are the best, with good performance and cooling, but is there much difference between the pre-overclocked cards?
yeah, the cheaper oem cooler boards will be fine, although avoid ITX, htpc, or blower cards as such cards will thermal clip faster. If you want to get just a bit more through an OC, get a 2x8 pin power connector gpu (like this one)

Looking for adivce with a router and wireless nic solutions. My son and daughter are roughly 50 feet from my router. They are on the first floor of the house and I am on the 2nd, opposite side of the house. Their wireless download speed is "ok" but sometimes their online gaming experience has them lagging.

I have a Netgear WND4500 router and they have usb wireless solutions which had on the box "best for gaming".

Is the router I have good enough? Any suggestions on a good router/ wireless nics for them?
take an internet speedtest on the computer and see what the ping is, if you are sure it isn't due to the computer lagging instead of the internet perhaps you can replace the attenna included with the wifi card with a large high gain one? Do you know what specific wifi card they have?

belmonkey

Did you uninstall the drivers from the Nvidia card? Did you use a dislay driver cleaner? Plus rubberbanding has nothing to do with GPU, that's server lag.

I think my bf took care of uninstalling it without any cleaner, but I also got rid of any other folder that said "Nvidia" in its name. Maybe it's just a coincidence that I'm having this (extremely annoying) issue at the moment. I find it odd that it affects several games, but not every online game I play.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hi GAF,

jrSPM6i.jpg

my samsung 1tb 850 evo had slower write speeds than advertised when i first installed it. i fixed it by changing some setting in windows itself. i can't remember what it was exactly unfortunately but i would recommend going into BIOS and making sure it's running under AHCI mode and then go into windows and head to Device Manger > Disk Drives > select your drive > properties > check "Enable write caching on the device" and see if that helps you out.

What are good numbers for various SSDs with that test app? I am curious to find out if mine are in range if where it should be?

just check the advertised speeds and you should get close to them. my drive does 555/535.

i have the MSI Gaming X and highly recommend it. last i checked it had a good balance of performance/cooling compared to other brands. EVGA seem to run hottest and have had issues so maybe best avoid them. other than that I see Gigabyte highly recommended also. the "cheaper" brands like Palit etc have higher stock clock speeds but i don't think it really matters. it just means it can achieve a higher stock speed. if you get a card with lower speeds you can probably overclock it to get just as close. my gaming x does 2035 core / 4535 memory

yeah, the cheaper oem cooler boards will be fine, although avoid ITX, htpc, or blower cards as such cards will thermal clip faster. If you want to get just a bit more through an OC, get a 2x8 pin power connector gpu (like this one)

take an internet speedtest on the computer and see what the ping is, if you are sure it isn't due to the computer lagging instead of the internet perhaps you can replace the attenna included with the wifi card with a large high gain one? Do you know what specific wifi card they have?

I'll check the brand in a bit, but it's not an actual card. It's a USB card. are they worse?

rrs

decided to test how fast my nvme drive was, seems close enough to spec
Ykgdx0q.png

I'll check the brand in a bit, but it's not an actual card. It's a USB card. are they worse?
usb cards don't have nearly as much watts to power antenna vs a 1x PCI-E board, but with a big antenna it might just work out fine

anothertech

Finally had the chance to upgrade, had my eye on this build for a while. Almost everything was half price over cyber monday week. Is my first water cooled system.

Water Cooled i7 6700 4GHz
32GB DDR4 Ram
(2) 5TB HDD
(1) 500GB SSD
GTX 1080 OC, 8GB
Windows 10 Pro

Been running everything full throttle, BF1, Witcher 3, bunch of my old steam games.

Nice thing to know is, I can run all games at 2x pixel density (downsampled on Oculus Rift) using the Oculus SDK tool with no framerate issues thus far. I've played The Unspoken, EvE, The Climb, and some Steam games as well. The downsampled mode is game changer for visuals, and with the Touch Controllers, it's a whole new level of VR tbh.

Question about water cooled systems, is there some kind of maintenance I need to worry about? After research, it seems too simple honestly.

Bloodember

Finally had the chance to upgrade, had my eye on this build for a while. Almost everything was half price over cyber monday week. Is my first water cooled system.

Water Cooled i7 6700 4GHz
32GB DDR4 Ram
(2) 5TB HDD
(1) 500GB SSD
GTX 1080 OC, 8GB
Windows 10 Pro

Been running everything full throttle, BF1, Witcher 3, bunch of my old steam games.

Nice thing to know is, I can run all games at 2x pixel density (downsampled on Oculus Rift) using the Oculus SDK tool with no framerate issues thus far. I've played The Unspoken, EvE, The Climb, and some Steam games as well. The downsampled mode is game changer for visuals, and with the Touch Controllers, it's a whole new level of VR tbh.

Question about water cooled systems, is there some kind of maintenance I need to worry about? After research, it seems too simple honestly.

If its an AIO, then no, its a sealed system.

ParityBit

Where do you guys save the images to insert them? I just did a scan with my 850 and it is .... real bad. I just got it a few days ago and just installed it.

... or I can do it this way:

284.4 271.4
212.8 199.8
273.2 262.8
29.01 58.45

ZBR

Thanks everyone for the help! I ran into a small hiccup with the GPU but I got that squared away! I built this computer for someone that has a small business and wanted to get a program that only ran on Windows.
Final Specs:
CPU: Intel 6500 3.2ghz
Mobo: MSI Bazooka b150m
RAM: Geil Evo Potenza DDR4 16gig (2400)
GPU: XFX rx 460 2gig
SSD: Mushkin 250gig
HDD: WD Blue 2tb 5400
PSU: EVGA Supernova 550 G2
Case: Thermaltake Core v21

Overall, I'm excited for the build it should last them a very long time!

cebri.one

my samsung 1tb 850 evo had slower write speeds than advertised when i first installed it. i fixed it by changing some setting in windows itself. i can't remember what it was exactly unfortunately but i would recommend going into BIOS and making sure it's running under AHCI mode and then go into windows and head to Device Manger > Disk Drives > select your drive > properties > check "Enable write caching on the device" and see if that helps you out.

I managed to fix it. Instead of downloading the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from Gigabyte i got them from Intel's webpage. Now writing speeds are reaching 510.

ParityBit

Install Samsung Magician and see if everything is fine. If there's something wrong or not configured correctly it will probably let you know.

Interesting.

For my 830 is gives a 542 Read, 391 Write. Random read 65,995 and write 34,758
For my 850 is has a ! at interface, it appears it is a 3.0 GB I must have it hooked into the wrong place in the mobo?

Also, should I turn on RAPID Mode?

I guess I will try to rewire right now

Megauap

Interesting.

For my 830 is gives a 542 Read, 391 Write. Random read 65,995 and write 34,758
For my 850 is has a ! at interface, it appears it is a 3.0 GB I must have it hooked into the wrong place in the mobo?

Also, should I turn on RAPID Mode?

I guess I will try to rewire right now

That may be the case, try to connect it to the corresponfing connector in your motherboard.
And don't turn on RAPID Mode, I did a bit of research some months ago to see if it was advisable to turn it on and all I came across was that it does increment the speeds a tiny bit (mostly if you have the SSD connected to SATA2) but if you have the SSD connected to SATA3 @ 6.0Gb/s then the gains are very low. And in any case, activating it will consume about 4Gb of RAM so I wouldn't recommend it.

ParityBit

Are these numbers better for the 850?

547.5 527.5
287.6 254.0
513.4 507.8
32.37 71.81

Samesung tool:
538 Read/515 Write
78851 Read/68361 Write

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom