• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to choose whether to go KabyLake or not...

Kabylake on a 170 mobo? Hmmm

It's been such a long time since I even looked at HW specs and I'm building a PC spec set for a mate.

I think I'll go KabyLake on a 270, more futureproofing yes?

I've got a Razer Mamba (getting old now that I think about it) and it's Wireless but I never use it in Wireless mode ha... I used to but I just find it less hassle to keep it plugged in.

A 270 with a kabylake CPU will also let you stream stuff like Netflix in 4K, as a minor bonus. Intel has a weird DRM thing locked in.

Vipu

Banned
A 270 with a kabylake CPU will also let you stream stuff like Netflix in 4K, as a minor bonus. Intel has a weird DRM thing locked in.

And by buying kabylake we tell Intel its fine to lock stuff like that to cpu they want and leave rest out.
They will keep doing it and leave other features out too to sell new cpu:s.

I doubt the internet in Australia is fast enough to handle that anyway so as a bonus it's great but probably irrelevant. This DRM thing I'm interested in... reading now.

Edit1 : It will work with Windows 8 though right?

Edit 2 : Ahhh it has to do with streaming, I see. Doesn't matter to me they're not going to be recording anything anyway. Weird now that I'm reading about the kabylake I don't know why Intel bothered it's not smaller or a new architecture. We've hit the ceiling on CPU gains here IMO. My CPU is almost 7 years old and still holds its own on all modern games

wanders

Im tired of my loud ass PSU. Time to replace it. Anyone have some suggestions on where to find a good 500w silent or near silent PSU?

Retsudo

Anyone with an Asus Z270 board has checked the temperatures on a monitoring program?

I tried HWMonitor and everything was super cool , except it said the mainboard was over 100º celsius. Checked the bios and everything is within normal parameters or lower. The case is cold as fuck and i feel no heat coming from the motherboard itself. Is it just the program going insane? Should i be worried?

Anyone with an Asus Z270 board has checked the temperatures on a monitoring program?

I tried HWMonitor and everything was super cool , except it said the mainboard was over 100º celsius. Checked the bios and everything is within normal parameters or lower. The case is cold as fuck and i feel no heat coming from the motherboard itself. Is it just the program going insane? Should i be worried?

Stop using HWMonitor. HWiNFO64 gives accurate readings.

rrs

that's a huge bummer considering it's not really a CPU limitation on high end CPUs, my 2500K @ 4.1 Ghz could play 4K youtube

it's possible I could save some money on certain parts to be able to afford a 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD (not actively pursuing that but it's an option)

If I do that would it be better to run the OS on that or an Intel 600p M.2?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Im tired of my loud ass PSU. Time to replace it. Anyone have some suggestions on where to find a good 500w silent or near silent PSU?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=1&cm_re=seasonic_gold-_-17-151-119-_-Product
$70, semi-modular, 80+ gold efficient, 550 watt, Seasonic brand, quiet, 5 year warranty.
https://seasonic.com/product/g-550/

If you feel like splurging: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...121&cm_re=seasonic_660-_-17-151-121-_-Product
$120, 660 watt, fully modular, Seasonic brand, 80+ platinum efficient, fan completely turns off at low loads and runs silent for longer because it's higher wattage. Also, the additional wattage will give you room to grow in the future if you upgrade something like a video card.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

this one looks good. Says "Silence is Golden". I'm guessing it has an emphasis on that.

DJ_Lae

Finally done the new build - it starts up fine, although I'm going to leave the Windows install and everything else (transferring hard drives and such) until tomorrow as it's just too late.

I spent more time with cable management than last time, although I wasn't able to get any satisfactory fix to the snakes nest beside the power supply. Maybe there is no good way around it.

QlfbPvq.jpg

Also, the photo was taken before I realized I forgot the USB cable to the H100i...which completely ruins the aesthetic. I don't know how I'll route that thing around without it looking hideous.

OK.

After sleeping on my previous build and going with some GAF suggestions I decided to upgrade a few components.

If someone could take a look at this build and let me know if it seems legit enough for the cash I would really appreciate it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.69 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($122.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($101.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Jet)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card ($279.87 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.33 @ OutletPC)
Total: $983.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-18 00:55 EST-0500

I'm currently most concerned with the mobo since I haven't seen enough reviews on it.

Edit: I should mention I already own additional extremely storage as a short term fix to the storage weakness.

Save yourself some more money.

Reference 480 8GB $175.
https://slickdeals.net/f/9674500-vi...promo-email?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

or XFX RS 8GB $209.99
https://slickdeals.net/f/9680096-xf...-newegg-com?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

SpacLock

Wow. Thank you!

I completely forgot about the existence of mail-in rebates until I decided to build a PC. What is up with that? Why is this still common practice in the PC world? Not that I'm complaining about saving money.

Wow. Thank you!

I completely forgot about the existence of mail-in rebates until I decided to build a PC. What is up with that? Why is this still common practice in the PC world? Not that I'm complaining about saving money.

I hate it as well. Even without the MIR it's cheaper though. Essentially they just figure people won't do it. It's not on Newegg or anything, it's the manufacturers.

Hesemonni

Banned
it's possible I could save some money on certain parts to be able to afford a 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD (not actively pursuing that but it's an option)

If I do that would it be better to run the OS on that or an Intel 600p M.2?
The OS gains tend to plateau at certain point with SSDs. Samsung PROs are excellent SSDs, but look at Crucial mx300s, Samsung EVOs and the likes too. It's hard to go wrong with these.

Necro900

Hi guys, I'm building a mini-itx pc for the living room which will function as a modest gaming platform and media center, and I'm still unsure about the power supply.

I'd like to keep the energy footprint down, as in I'm not going to overclock anything or do crazy stuff with it, so a "good enough to power the rig properly" power supply would be fine.

These are the specs I've come up with:

Case: Thermaltake Core V1
Mobo: Asrock H170M-ITX/DL
Ram: HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4
VGA: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 3GB (or 6GB, will decide)
HDD: WD 1 TB 7200 rpm
CPU: Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

What am I looking at? 500W? 550W? Less?

Also, what brand?

Hi guys, I'm building a mini-itx pc for the living room which will function as a modest gaming platform and media center, and I'm still unsure about the power supply.

I'd like to keep the energy footprint down, as in I'm not going to overclock anything or do crazy stuff with it, so a "good enough to power the rig properly" power supply would be fine.

These are the specs I've come up with:

Case: Thermaltake Core V1
Mobo: Asrock H170M-ITX/DL
Ram: HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4
VGA: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 3GB (or 6GB, will decide)
HDD: WD 1 TB 7200 rpm
CPU: Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

What am I looking at? 500W? 550W? Less?

Also, what brand?

450W is enough.

Brands:
Seasonic is one of, if not the best.
XFX's PSUs are also designed and manufactured by Seasonic.

Go with either one of those for the best bet, just take the cheaper.

Adry9

Does anyone know when the 960 EVO M.2 SSD are going to be available again? I need one for my laptop and they are gone everywhere in Europe wtf

Mulling over upgrading my PC for Halo Wars 2. Where my last upgrade was 2012 I was hoping that the lower-tier and priced CPG/GPUs from today would push (if such a CPU would even be supported by my motherboard) me over the edge without needing to replace my motherboard or spring for a higher watt PSU.

MB:p8H61-M (Supported CPUs)
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X6 1045T PROCESSOR
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1000MHZ 1GB 4.5GHZ GDDR5

Any suggestions?

Mulling over upgrading my PC for Halo Wars 2. Where my last upgrade was 2012 I was hoping that the lower-tier and priced CPG/GPUs from today would push (if such a CPU would even be supported by my motherboard) me over the edge without needing to replace my motherboard or spring for a higher watt PSU.

MB:p8H61-M (Supported CPUs)
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X6 1045T PROCESSOR
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1000MHZ 1GB 4.5GHZ GDDR5

Any suggestions?

...Wait, how are you running that CPU off that motherboard? The site you linked doesn't list it being compatible.

Otherwise, you are probably gonna have to go for an overhaul in general.

...Wait, how are you running that CPU off that motherboard? The site you linked doesn't list it being compatible.

Otherwise, you are probably gonna have to go for an overhaul in general.

Whoops, grabbed the wrong processor from my spreadsheet. Should be a 960T though that's not on the sheet either.

Good to know about about needing an overhaul though; I'll just stick with the XB1 version for the time being then.

Ludono

Hey guys was wondering if you knew what is going on here.

So I have an i7 6700K running on stock 4.0 (4.2 turbo) at 1.25 (manually adjusted read why)
I also have 16 (2x8) GB of 3200mHz Corsair LPX DDR4 RAM with the XMP enabled on the motherboard.
The motherboard being an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.

I can't seem to get the i7 to OC at all, not even a .1 uptick to 4.3 gHz. Additionally I had to manually set the CPU Voltage to 1.25 since if I left it on auto it would shoot up to 1.4X which is scarily high. I tried multiple configs of 4.3/4.4/4.5 from voltages ranging from 1.25 to 1.40 and every time without fail the system bluescreens when I run an AIDA64 stress test. The temps shoot up almost instantly (from an idle 26-32 degrees celcius) to 80+.

Obviously something is wrong, and this chip should be able to sustain at least a minor overclock no?

Bumhead

Banned
I've been out of the loop for so long, but mulling over some parts upgrading for this year.

What's the issue with Kaby Lake? Is it not recommended to go down that route? I was just going to go with the latest gen I must admit, but is it recommended to stick with the 6th gen?

I've been out of the loop for so long, but mulling over some parts upgrading for this year.

What's the issue with Kaby Lake? Is it not recommended to go down that route? I was just going to go with the latest gen I must admit, but is it recommended to stick with the 6th gen?

Get Kaby Lake. No point in not doing so now (unless you get an insane deal on the older parts).

Bloodember

So I have an i7 6700K running on stock 4.0 (4.2 turbo) at 1.25 (manually adjusted read why)
I also have 16 (2x8) GB of 3200mHz Corsair LPX DDR4 RAM with the XMP enabled on the motherboard.

I can't seem to get the i7 to OC at all, not even a .1 uptick to 4.3 gHz. Additionally I had to manually set the CPU Voltage to 1.25 since if I left it on auto it would shoot up to 1.4X which is scarily high. I tried multiple configs of 4.3/4.4/4.5 from voltages ranging from 1.25 to 1.40 and every time without fail the system bluescreens when I run an AIDA64 stress test. The temps shoot up almost instantly (from an idle 26-32 degrees celcius) to 80+.

Obviously something is wrong, and this chip should be able to sustain at least a minor overclock no?

Is your heatsink seated properly? Is the bios up to date?

You chip CAN sustain a minor overclock if you don't starve it of voltage. Who told you 1.4v is "scary?" You literally don't know what you're doing. Start here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

If you find terms you don't understand, take the time to learn them.

Ludono

Is your heatsink seated properly? Is the bios up to date?

Yes and yes.

You chip CAN sustain a minor overclock if you don't starve it of voltage. Who told you 1.4v is "scary?" You literally don't know what you're doing. Start here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

If you find terms you don't understand, take the time to learn them.

I had read up on it previously and most places I found to advise not pushing the voltage past 1.4. And what would you consider a "minor" overclock?

What cooler are you using? What temps do you get when not overclocking at load? What technique did you use to apply thermal paste? I don't use AIDA64 but maybe also try another benchmark (some are harder on your system than others).

As an aside, when you're testing the CPU for OC'ing you should drop your ram back down for now (say to default 2133 mhz). Then if you get a stable CPU overclock tune the ram back up and see if you need to give up a bit on the CPU for overall stability.

Is there really no easy way to do it? This was all I could afford.

It's an issue of limited options. Above the 8320 you've got the 8350, 8370, and 9590. The first two would be mostly incremental from what you have, while the latter is a power hog that needs liquid cooling to run. There's nothing else on that socket type and there never will be, as AMD are preparing to launch Ryzen, which is AM4 instead of AM3.

That said, the 8320 isn't exactly terrible for current games - especially as you're aiming for medium settings. What you can also do, if you're up for it, is overclock it to get a little extra processing power out of it.

I will say, I had and have the same issue. Bought an FX-6350 because it was fairly affordable for my first build, but soon realised how limited it was. Slowly taking steps to rectify it, but it's not exactly a difficult area to misstep if not familiar with current CPU standards.

Ludono

What cooler are you using? What temps do you get when not overclocking at load? What technique did you use to apply thermal paste? I don't use AIDA64 but maybe also try another benchmark (some are harder on your system than others).

As an aside, when you're testing the CPU for OC'ing you should drop your ram back down for now (say to default 2133 mhz). Then if you get a stable CPU overclock tune the ram back up and see if you need to give up a bit on the CPU for overall stability.

What cooler are you using?

Corsair H50, but I am upgrading it to an H60 next week.

What temps do you get when not overclocking at load?

Between 45-55 or so on load. 20-30 Idle.

What technique did you use to apply thermal paste?

I just pressed a tiny bit onto the center of the CPU plate. Using Artic Silver 5.

Are the voltage increases across CPU and RAM both added, leading to more heat and strain? Should I not be using the XMP profile?

BossRush

It's an issue of limited options. Above the 8320 you've got the 8350, 8370, and 9590. The first two would be mostly incremental from what you have, while the latter is a power hog that needs liquid cooling to run. There's nothing else on that socket type and there never will be, as AMD are preparing to launch Ryzen, which is AM4 instead of AM3.

That said, the 8320 isn't exactly terrible for current games - especially as you're aiming for medium settings. What you can also do, if you're up for it, is overclock it to get a little extra processing power out of it.

I will say, I had and have the same issue. Bought an FX-6350 because it was fairly affordable for my first build, but soon realised how limited it was. Slowly taking steps to rectify it, but it's not exactly a difficult area to misstep if not familiar with current CPU standards.

Would you suggest returning what I bought and getting a different computer or sticking it out?

What cooler are you using?

Corsair H50, but I am upgrading it to an H60 next week.

What temps do you get when not overclocking at load?

Between 45-55 or so on load. 20-30 Idle.

What technique did you use to apply thermal paste?

I just pressed a tiny bit onto the center of the CPU plate. Using Artic Silver 5.

Are the voltage increases across CPU and RAM both added, leading to more heat and strain? Should I not be using the XMP profile?

I would imagine the H50 and H60 are probably quite similar, so I doubt it would be worth the bother.

LilJoka and others can chime in better about OC stability, but there's definitely more strain when you're overclocking both ram and cpu.

At stock your cpu is 4 ghz (all cores) and 4.2 ghz (one core), if I'm not mistaken. How about a small OC first, to say 4.2 ghz (all cores). And turn off XMP just for now for testing. I would run a fixed vcore for now just to determine stability.

Yes and yes.

I had read up on it previously and most places I found to advise not pushing the voltage past 1.4. And what would you consider a "minor" overclock?

100MHz is the smallest basic increment of overclock available. I have never heard of a Skylake chip that couldn't hit 4.5GHz. Intel's Skylake spec sheet lists max voltage at 1.52v. Most motherboard manufacturers list 1.45v as the max safe 24/7 voltage for Skylake.

Again, if you don't understand why you can't achieve a stable 4.3GHz on Skylake while limiting its supplied voltage to 1.25v you're missing a basic concept of overclocking.

Ludono

I would imagine the H50 and H60 are probably quite similar, so I doubt it would be worth the bother.

LilJoka and others can chime in better about OC stability, but there's definitely more strain when you're overclocking both ram and cpu.

At stock your cpu is 4 ghz (all cores) and 4.2 ghz (one core), if I'm not mistaken. How about a small OC first, to say 4.2 ghz (all cores). And turn off XMP just for now for testing. I would run a fixed vcore for now just to determine stability.

The H50 I have is a few years old, and I got the H60 for next to nothing so I figured I might as well switch it out even if it is a minimal difference.

If I bump it up to 4.2 (which is a single core turbo boost) should I turn off Intel Speedstep (which is driving the boost?) to essentially elimated any sort of "turbo boost" in favour of simply having a higher clock at all times?

100MHz is the smallest basic increment of overclock available. I have never heard of a Skylake chip that couldn't hit 4.5GHz. Intel's Skylake spec sheet lists max voltage at 1.52v. Most motherboard manufacturers list 1.45v as the max safe 24/7 voltage for Skylake.

Again, if you don't understand why you can't achieve a stable 4.3GHz on Skylake while limiting its supplied voltage to 1.25v you're missing a basic concept of overclocking.

I think I may have explained poorly. I know I cannot overclock on a limited voltage like 1.25.

What I was saying was that after applying my XMP profile to my RAM, the CPU voltage (which was still set to auto since I hadn't tried OCing it yet) was at 1.41 or 1.42 or something which was causing it to BSOD, so I manually changed the voltage to 1.25 and ran a stress test on stock clocks with XMP enabled for the RAM and it was stable. However if I try to push PAST stock clocks (while raising the voltage from 1.25!) I seem to get BSOD even at minimal OC such as 4.4 @ 1.35 or so

BossRush

I'm actually really scared I may have screwed myself by getting such an old outdated processor. Should I return the computer and try a different one instead?

Would you suggest returning what I bought and getting a different computer or sticking it out?

I'm actually really scared I may have screwed myself by getting such an old outdated processor. Should I return the computer and try a different one instead?

Well, you mentioned it partly being a matter of what you could afford. And actually looking at the price you paid for it...

If you can return it and get the refund, do so, and get this, if you want a prebuilt machine. Put in the code HVR150 at checkout, and it'll cost $649.99 (before taxes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom