• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossRush

Well, you mentioned it partly being a matter of what you could afford. And actually looking at the price you paid for it...

If you can return it and get the refund, do so, and get this, if you want a prebuilt machine. Put in the code HVR150 at checkout, and it'll cost $649.99 (before taxes).

I'll see if I can thank you.

But would I be able to replace the parts in this system much easier if need be?

I'll see if I can thank you.

But would I be able to replace the parts in this system much easier if need be?

Yes. With particular regards to the motherboard and CPU, the i5-6400 is an LGA 1151 CPU. That means you can replace the motherboard with anything from the last few years and still have it be compatible - even the new 200-series boards meant for Kabylake - or get a new CPU of the same socket type and put it in the existing motherboard. Also the RX 480 is more powerful than the 1050 Ti you have right now, even if it's likely the 4GB version of the card.

Enlil

Hi guys,
building a pc for my brother.

Sharkoon VG4-S - Midtowermodel
€ 34,49

ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ - motherboard
€ 48,96

Intel Core i7 6700 - 3.4 GHz
€ 337,14

HPE - DDR3
€ 69,91

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3G OC 3GB ATX
€ 232,95

MS-Tech MS-N750-VAL - Rev B
€ 56,98

I have a SSD 850 500gb and crosshair h70 lying around.

I want to know, should I wait for the new graphics cards/or processor?
Are there any bottlenecks?
If you would advice a better power supply for instance, because you have power supply that is very silent, I would love to hear your advice. I don't want to buy crap! I am willing to spend more, but only if the things on list are not worth it.

Chances are he will only play CSGO (maybe BF1, or shooting games) but he now plays CSGO on his laptop on low settings and he is fine with this, but his birthday comes up and want to buy him this rig.

Thanks.

Jezbollah

Hi guys,

€ 34,49

€ 48,96

€ 337,14

HPE - DDR3
€ 69,91

€ 232,95

€ 56,98

If you would advice a better power supply for instance, because you have power supply that is very silent, I would love to hear your advice. I don't want to buy crap! I am willing to spend more, but only if the things on list are not worth it.

Chances are he will only play CSGO (maybe BF1, or shooting games) but he now plays CSGO on his laptop on low settings and he is fine with this, but his birthday comes up and want to buy him this rig.

Thanks.

I think you've got a nice setup there for some good 1080p gaming. Personally speaking I would spend a bit more on a better PSU (I don't think you need a 750w, maybe a 600-650w modular one?)

Megauap

The H50 I have is a few years old, and I got the H60 for next to nothing so I figured I might as well switch it out even if it is a minimal difference.

If I bump it up to 4.2 (which is a single core turbo boost) should I turn off Intel Speedstep (which is driving the boost?) to essentially elimated any sort of "turbo boost" in favour of simply having a higher clock at all times?

I think I may have explained poorly. I know I cannot overclock on a limited voltage like 1.25.

What I was saying was that after applying my XMP profile to my RAM, the CPU voltage (which was still set to auto since I hadn't tried OCing it yet) was at 1.41 or 1.42 or something which was causing it to BSOD, so I manually changed the voltage to 1.25 and ran a stress test on stock clocks with XMP enabled for the RAM and it was stable. However if I try to push PAST stock clocks (while raising the voltage from 1.25!) I seem to get BSOD even at minimal OC such as 4.4 @ 1.35 or so

Too much voltage (within spec) results in excess heat. BSOD is usually the result of too little applied voltage or vdroop.

What motherboard are you using? And what exact settings have you changed?

kennah

Hi guys,

€ 34,49

€ 48,96

€ 337,14

HPE - DDR3
€ 69,91

€ 232,95

€ 56,98

Thanks.
That motherboard doesn't work with that processor. It's for AMD fm2 chips. You need a socket 1151 Intel motherboard for that CPU.

Hi guys,

€ 34,49

€ 48,96

€ 337,14

HPE - DDR3
€ 69,91

€ 232,95

€ 56,98

Thanks.
What kennah said, plus you'll need DDR4 ram.

Ludono

Too much voltage (within spec) results in excess heat. BSOD is usually the result of too little applied voltage or vdroop.

What motherboard are you using? And what exact settings have you changed?

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming with the most recent BIOS installed.

I currently have
CPU Core Ratio - 43
Turbo / Speedstep - Both Enabled
Manual Vcore - 1.265

^These settings appear just barely stable, no BSOD but the CPU runs into the 80C range fairly quickly once put under load. I am starting to think the current CPU cooler might not be functioning properly (will be able to test that next week once the cooler upgrade shows up) but my idle temps are very low which would imply that the cooling is working as intended?

5Kkc.png

And here are the temps after about a minute of AIDA64 stress testing (all components)

6Kkc.png

Seems barely reasonable IMO, and if I push the CPU core or vcore any higher it'll definitely overheat. a 4.3 gHz at 1.265 should not be doing this much heat...?

Bumhead

Banned
Hmm, potential new PC build.

Just throwing ideas around at the moment and, by extension, looking for advice from people who actually know their onions.

Main usage case is being able to throw any game at it and get 1080/60 at high/ultra. Not too concerned with supersampling or 4K. VR also isn't a priority but is something I might like to dabble with down the line, so the option would be nice but not essential.

CPU: i5 7500 Kaby Lake
Motherboard: Gigabyte H270
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
HDD: Toshiba 1TB
SSD: Samsung 250GB
PSU: EVGA 550w
Case: Fractal Design R4 Mid Tower

I guess my main questions would be;

1.) Is this overkill and/or badly planned? Can I get what I want to achieve more effeciently and cheaper? I'm willing to save money if I can. Only component I'm locked to is the case as I love those and don't mind paying more for it.
2.) Is a 550w PSU fine to power all that safely?
3.) Everything will fit in that case fine, right?

Gigglepop

Banned
Seems barely reasonable IMO, and if I push the CPU core or vcore any higher it'll definitely overheat. a 4.3 gHz at 1.265 should not be doing this much heat...?

Temps are fine, if they hit 90c then you worry.

A stress test is just that, stress. You will never get that kind of load using a computer normally, and never hit temps that high.

P.S. I've been running my 2500k at 1.55v with a nhd-14 for years with no issues. Temps under normal use never top 75c but can spike under stress tests.

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming with the most recent BIOS installed.

First, reseat your cooler. Then go into your bios and start fresh. Load optimized defaults and follow the OC guide I linked.

In broad strokes, you're going to increase your multiplier to 45. Raise your voltage in manual mode until it's stable at that rate. If your temperatures go above 85C or stability requires more than 1.45v, stop.

If after reseating your cooler you still can't keep it cool, replace the cooler and/or delid. Repeat the above process. Once you determine the voltage needed for a given clock speed, then you change voltage from manual to adaptive or offset. But all that comes after you figure out this initial step.

LilJoka

Hey guys was wondering if you knew what is going on here.

So I have an i7 6700K running on stock 4.0 (4.2 turbo) at 1.25 (manually adjusted read why)
I also have 16 (2x8) GB of 3200mHz Corsair LPX DDR4 RAM with the XMP enabled on the motherboard.
The motherboard being an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.

I can't seem to get the i7 to OC at all, not even a .1 uptick to 4.3 gHz. Additionally I had to manually set the CPU Voltage to 1.25 since if I left it on auto it would shoot up to 1.4X which is scarily high. I tried multiple configs of 4.3/4.4/4.5 from voltages ranging from 1.25 to 1.40 and every time without fail the system bluescreens when I run an AIDA64 stress test. The temps shoot up almost instantly (from an idle 26-32 degrees celcius) to 80+.

Obviously something is wrong, and this chip should be able to sustain at least a minor overclock no?

Updated the bios?

Edit read it's latest.

What's the load vcore in CPUz?
Set load line calibration to level 5.

And turn XMP off for now.

BossRush

Alright I managed to kinda get a refund, just need to either refuse the package or send it back once it arrives.

My current Budget is still 700-800.

Maybe 900 depending on my next paycheck but that's really pushing it.

Ludono

First, reseat your cooler. Then go into your bios and start fresh. Load optimized defaults and follow the OC guide I linked.

In broad strokes, you're going to increase your multiplier to 45. Raise your voltage in manual mode until it's stable at that rate. If your temperatures go above 85C or stability requires more than 1.45v, stop.

If after reseating your cooler you still can't keep it cool, replace the cooler and/or delid. Repeat the above process. Once you determine the voltage needed for a given clock speed, then you change voltage from manual to adaptive or offset. But all that comes after you figure out this initial step.

Alright, I won't even bother with that until the H60 shows up next week. I'll report back, thanks for your help! :D

Updated the bios?

Edit read it's latest.

What's the load vcore in CPUz?
Set load line calibration to level 5.

And turn XMP off for now.

1.248 Volts is what CPU-Z is reporting.

I have LLC set to Level 3, should I bump it up to 5 then?

I've disabled XMP and manually set my RAM timings to no ill effect.

greenry

Well, pulled the trigger and upgraded my PC. i7-7700k and Maximus IX Hero. So long i5-3570k and Maximus V Gene, you treated me well.

GodofWine

Hey PC GAF, I am in the market for a new computer, and really thought I would build one, but I saw this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNBLHAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dont think I can buy the parts cheap enough to build this, and this looks like a solid PC all I want is a 1080/60 beast that will do those for a long time...can someone tell me their thoughts on this.

It looks like $425 to buy the cpu/gpu alone in parts.

Hey PC GAF, I am in the market for a new computer, and really thought I would build one, but I saw this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNBLHAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dont think I can buy the parts cheap enough to build this, and this looks like a solid PC all I want is a 1080/60 beast that will do those for a long time...can someone tell me their thoughts on this.

It looks like $425 to buy the cpu/gpu alone in parts.

If you're looking at that, look at this instead:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332569&highlight=6400

Basically the same build, slightly cheaper.

Kito

Really tempted to install Windows 8.1 over 10 on my PC build. Cortana's disk usage, and action centre pop ups, look like a fucking pain to deal with.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it possible for monitor technology, particularly the backlight response time, to deteriorate?

I ask because I'm noticing the LCD IPS blur on my monitor more often these days, specifically in scenarios where light and dark colours are contrasting in motion. For example, the white mouse moving around on a dark background, or scrolling down a website where lightly coloured text is displayed on dark background.

I know LCD/IPS has this issue anyway, and is inherently problematic with the technology (hence strobe related features). It's not so bad that's ruining my usage. I'm just wondering if it's deteriorating or purely me paying too much attention.

I know I made a parts list a few days ago that was "final" but here is my truly final list of parts that I'm looking at for a build...if anyone has suggestions on what I should change feel free to say so because all advice is appreciated

also wanted to say thank you again to everyone that has answered my questions recently

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z270E GAMING
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC 8GB (already have this card)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium (already have this case)

Only choose Samsung for M.2 SSDs. Significantly better performance in all benchmark comparisons.

the motherboard has M key sockets for M.2...the Samsung M.2 that I could afford would be the 850 EVO and it uses B+M

or would it still work?...I honestly have no idea

li bur

Hi GAF I'm about to pick GPU for my PC. I previously got pc with i5 6400 with no GPU and for psu I got seasonic 520 w PSU. Which would be the better GPU options: gtx 1060 6gb or rx 480 8gb? I plan to use the gpu for some time due to budget reason. Is there any issue with gtx 1060 6gb memory?

Bloodember

the motherboard has M key sockets for M.2...the Samsung M.2 that I could afford would be the 850 EVO and it uses B+M

Honestly in day to day operations of you computer you won't notice a difference in speed from a 960 to the 600p, unless your all about benchmarks or you transfer large files to and from it. The 600p will do just fine.

rrs

it would still work, but the 600p is a better overall product for the same price with 3x read speed
Hi GAF I'm about to pick GPU for my PC. I previously got pc with i5 6400 with no GPU and for psu I got seasonic 520 w PSU. Which would be the better GPU options: gtx 1060 6gb or rx 480 8gb? I plan to use the gpu for some time due to budget reason. Is there any issue with gtx 1060 6gb memory?
I believe both are nearly equal with in game performance so pick whatever, although I'd go with a 480 for more VRAM

BaasRed

Banned
Depends on a lot of factors, but most likely it won't work as expected. The device itself was made for blower cards mainly; and a water cooled GPU will most likely not fit, or give minimal benefit compared towards getting a 1080 on air instead

Should I get the 1080? I don't care as long as it can run The Witcher 3 at 4k locked 30 fps. So if 1070 can do that I will save money and buy that instead.

kennah

Alright I managed to kinda get a refund, just need to either refuse the package or send it back once it arrives.

My current Budget is still 700-800.

Maybe 900 depending on my next paycheck but that's really pushing it.

Well, you mentioned it partly being a matter of what you could afford. And actually looking at the price you paid for it...

If you can return it and get the refund, do so, and get this, if you want a prebuilt machine. Put in the code HVR150 at checkout, and it'll cost $649.99 (before taxes).
This hp is your best bet. Future upgrades would include new PSU and it could take a 4ghz i7. But would be solid for the money for a couple years.

rrs

Should I get the 1080? I don't care as long as it can run The Witcher 3 at 4k locked 30 fps. So if 1070 can do that I will save money and buy that instead.
this review says 30+ FPS ultra quality on a FE card, so it should be fine on a aftermarket air cooler (which the blade should handle fine, after checking again.) Although, you may need to lower settings if you are using passthrough on the card to the laptop assuming you own a razer laptop of some kind. Also, the laptop may cut some FPS on top of that with a weaker CPU

Don't want to start a new thread for this but there's no Origins community topic so...

Which Sims game should I play? I have Sims 2 Ultimate and vanilla Sims 3 and I don't think I'll buy any expansion. I've played Sims 1 but I usually get bored by the time it requires you to have too many friends to to move up the career ladder.

My favorite part was probably making the house.

BaasRed

Banned
this review says 30+ FPS ultra quality on a FE card, so it should be fine on a aftermarket air cooler (which the blade should handle fine, after checking again.) Although, you may need to lower settings if you are using passthrough on the card to the laptop assuming you own a razer laptop of some kind. Also, the laptop may cut some FPS on top of that with a weaker CPU

Is it possible to run a game on 4k but not Ultra settings just high? I heard the difference is minimal but performance boost is big.

rrs

Is it possible to run a game on 4k but not Ultra settings just high? I heard the difference is minimal but performance boost is big.
yeah, you can pick any settings you want with any resolution with PC games
Don't want to start a new thread for this but there's no Origins community topic so...

Which Sims game should I play? I have Sims 2 Ultimate and vanilla Sims 3 and I don't think I'll buy any expansion. I've played Sims 1 but I usually get bored by the time it requires you to have too many friends to to move up the career ladder.

My favorite part was probably making the house.
I liked both for various reasons but 2 with expansions might have more things to do and house building over 3, although it's not easy to say what would be the superior experience as both games would have different exclusive experiences to have. I used to play the sims a whole lot when I was younger, heh.

cwistofu

So I've got a 1440p 144hz monitor with gsync on its way, but a quick question. With a 1070, is there any reason for me to ever use 100hz, 120hz, or even 60hz instead of 144hz? Like, day my card can't handle games at max settings at 144fps, I'd want to lower the refresh rate to reduce stuttering, right? Or does Gsync basically make it so I can play any game at 144hz with perfect smoothness (provided I maintain 40+fps)?

I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how gsync's magic actually works.

Edit: I guess 144hz would introduce weird issues with movies and stuff, no?

Does anyone know of a good way to organize UNPLUGGED wires? I have a bunch of usb cables, audio cables, power cables, extensions, adaptors, and the like sitting in a big box in my closet. They take up a lot of space, and getting any one wire out is a chore because they all get hopelessly tangled together. Surely there's a better way?

cwistofu

Does anyone know of a good way to organize UNPLUGGED wires? I have a bunch of usb cables, audio cables, power cables, extensions, adaptors, and the like sitting in a big box in my closet. They take up a lot of space, and getting any one wire out is a chore because they all get hopelessly tangled together. Surely there's a better way?
It's kinda ghetto but I've found this to be really useful.

toiletpaper_mini.jpg

tim.mbp

Velcro straps works great to tie wires.

So I've got a 1440p 144hz monitor with gsync on its way, but a quick question. With a 1070, is there any reason for me to ever use 100hz, 120hz, or even 60hz instead of 144hz? Like, day my card can't handle games at max settings at 144fps, I'd want to lower the refresh rate to reduce stuttering, right? Or does Gsync basically make it so I can play any game at 144hz with perfect smoothness (provided I maintain 40+fps)?

I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how gsync's magic actually works.

Edit: I guess 144hz would introduce weird issues with movies and stuff, no?

G-Sync works in the range of 30fps up to the highest refresh rate the display panel is built to. I'ld leave it to the highest it could do and leave it there.

I'm using the PG348Q panel with G-Sync capable up to 100hz, but I had to CAP my PC performance framerate to 100fps so that I'll stay inside the G-Sync framerate window. I constantly get framerates above 135fps on most games set at Very High/Ultra except Crysis 3.

So thinking about doing a nice fresh build. Currently rocking a struggle FX-4100 with a GTX 970. Keeping the 970 but everything else I want new. Looking at this build so far. Any ideas on where to cut cost at? Honestly debating if I want a K series since I'm not sure I want to overclock anymore although it did give me a bit more oomph out of my FX

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.54 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.80 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.66 @ OutletPC)
Case: Inwin 303 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $831.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-20 02:51 EST-0500

ISee

So thinking about doing a nice fresh build. Currently rocking a struggle FX-4100 with a GTX 970. Keeping the 970 but everything else I want new. Looking at this build so far. Any ideas on where to cut cost at? Honestly debating if I want a K series since I'm not sure I want to overclock anymore although it did give me a bit more oomph out of my FX

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.54 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.80 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.66 @ OutletPC)
Case: Inwin 303 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $831.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-20 02:51 EST-0500

If your cooling is good enough and you can reach higher clock speeds in a reasonable voltage range then cpu overclocking is just fine. A 7600k should be able to reach at least 4.8ghz without any kind of problems.
I also have the feeling you're trying to build a foundation for a future 'high end' gpu upgrade (whatever high end means). If that's true please consider to get higher clocked xmp ddr4 ram (3000+mhz). All Intel CPUs seem to profit from higher clocked ram, especially in CPU bound scenarios.

And I know you asked about saving money and not spending even more, but I really think it makes sense to invest the extra $30.

What's the overall opinion on PCIe SSDs as boot drives these days? I read into this 12 months ago and there were a lot of mixed reactions - some people saying they got speed increases over SATA SSDs, some saying no difference, and some saying their PC even booted slower. Tried Googling for some new articles on using them as boot drives, but top hits are still the exact same topics and articles from 2015 and early 2016...

On paper they're around 5 or 6 times faster than SATA SSDs, so I'd love to know that I can genuinely have a PC that boots literally in 5-10 seconds one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom