• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRum

Banned
My baby just arrived.

P5cGAi2.jpg

inthrall

Okay, so my old PSU (CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W) has started failing on me sporadically, I think its time to get a new PSU. Am I safe to grab any from the recommended builds at 600W+, or is there any other factors I need to be aware of?

Okay, so my old "CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W" has started failing on me sporadically, I think its time to get a new PSU. Am I safe to grab any from the recommended builds at 600W+, or is there any other factors I need to be aware of?

I mean, as long as you get something from a reputable brand that has an 80 Plus rating, you should be fine.

I have never built a PC before, can you guys help me with any tips or advice?

This is what i'm building:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/yfJbvV

Am I missing anything, or can make some things better, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first jump into custom gaming PC. Thank you.

Can you fill out the survey in the OP? Then we'll know what exactly you're aiming for. You can definitely save a lot though with some tweaks.

RedRum

Banned
Also, if you are not looking to build and buying it built like I did from Cyberpower, there are discount codes online you can look for. I got a $75 discount off of $125 rush shipping and $85 dollars off the rig itself.

23qwerty

Also, if you are not looking to build and buying it built like I did from Cyberpower, there are discount codes online you can look for. I got a $75 discount off of $125 rush shipping and $85 dollars off the rig itself.

Are there many options for getting custom built in Canada outside of NCIX? Pretty sure they do free shipping at that price point anyway. Not sure about coupons for them either.

I am living in Beijing for at least the next year and I am looking for advice about what to buy for a gaming PC. In the past I have built all my rigs but with the language barrier it is hard for me to sort out parts. I have been looking through JD.com a bit. It seems a midrange system is about 3600-4k RMB with a I5 and a 960. I think I want to pay about $1000 CDN or 5K RMB max for a system. Any help would be appreciated.

Would I also see much oversees ping benefit upping my 100mbps plan to a 200 plan? I am on a nice fibre line here.

Korezo

tumblr_o99krbyDzC1sflveso1_1280.jpg

Got this one put together today

Found out that the Asus Strix 970 I was planning on putting in it (once I got my 1080 for my main computer) doesn't fit in it since it's too tall :c

The heatpipe sticks out just a bit, apparently you can cut the plexiglass with the back of an xacto knife but I don't realllly want to do that but it's probably better than buying a new gpu..

Love this case though, looks so nice and it's so so so easy to work with

I see these case alot now, whats so good about them? better cooling? I thought people liked them for size but it looks like it takes more space than a traditional case.

e90Mark

I see these case alot now, whats so good about them? better cooling? I thought people liked them for size but it looks like it takes more space than a traditional case.

I like for the dual chamber design and easy wire management. You're able to pack a lot of power in a small case like this one. I also think it's good looking.

The Air 240 is an matx case, so smaller than your traditional case.

RedRum

Banned
Are there many options for getting custom built in Canada outside of NCIX? Pretty sure they do free shipping at that price point anyway. Not sure about coupons for them either.

I don't think they deliver to Canada. I looked at NCIX and they don't have a big selection either. If you've got some contacts you trust, I'd order from a US store through them.

23qwerty

It's ridiculously easy to work with, I have a Bitfenix Neos as well and the 240 is like 10000x easier to work with. Was kind of mind blowing tbh. It also looks super nice imo.

I don't think they deliver to Canada. I looked at NCIX and they don't have a big selection either. If you've got some contacts you trust, I'd order from a US store through them.

NCIX seems to have pretty good selection to me. Has pretty much everything you'd want. Worst case you can check newegg.ca/computerscanada/wherever as well.

Heysoos

Well bought most of the stuff for my new build. Already have my i7-6700K waiting. Let me know if there's anything that might not work together.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

CORSAIR CX-M series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Modular Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK

Phanteks Evolv PH-ES515E_BK Satin Black Aluminum / Steel ATX MidTower Computer Case

I know the case is overkill, but I just fell in love with it so fuck it. I'll be getting a 1070 later this fall a little bit before Battlefield One. For now, I'll continue using my 970. Already have a 960gb SSD and a 1TB HDD from my current build. Everything look fine?

Peace Tea

PC GAF, is this dangerous, flipping the HHD over and having the circuit board so close to the black plastic?

The pcb board will be facing down, pretty close to the plastic. The frame right at the edge of the pcb board is... idk... 1/32 of an inch higher, and provides some buffer space i guess.

Nope, Gsync requires a Gsync enabled monitor, they're a quite a bit more expensive than normal monitors. It's a huge upgrade though imo. I haven't seen screen tearing in so long, and the significantly reduced/eliminated stuttering is just so good.

ahh I see :/ thx for the info!

Levito

Banned
Well, the 1080 recommends a 500w PSU, so... probably. But if you're still shopping for a PSU I'd probably go for a 550 or 600 to be safe.

That's actually the PSU I have in my system right now, willing to get a new PSU but wanted to save cash if I could. A 1080 would be replacing my 970.

thenexus6

Question, I think I know what the answer will be but figured i'd ask.

I currently have 2 x 4GB Hyperx DDR4 sticks. I ordered 2 x 8GB exactly the same with the intention of selling the 4GB sticks. Would it be possible to use them all at once. I think messing ram sticks isn't good, but seeing as they're exactly the same model MHz etc.

That's actually the PSU I have in my system right now, willing to get a new PSU but wanted to save cash if I could. A 1080 would be replacing my 970.

That's only a 35W extra with that move to GTX1080. If your system has coped before, it should do fine with the 1080 in it.

23qwerty

You don't get stuttering especially in Act 5 town where the chest area is going up the stairs? I have to lock the game to 60 to play it smoothly.

well i just tested it in act 1 just now and some new act that my main got into? was fine

have not played d3 on gsync before this

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Question, I think I know what the answer will be but figured i'd ask.

I currently have 2 x 4GB Hyperx DDR4 sticks. I ordered 2 x 8GB exactly the same with the intention of selling the 4GB sticks. Would it be possible to use them all at once. I think messing ram sticks isn't good, but seeing as they're exactly the same model MHz etc.

Yes.

LilJoka

Nope not for SLI. Personally I'd go for a 650 minimum for single 1080 with overclocking, and perhaps near an 800 to 1000 for SLI.

Pretty crazy when it uses about 180W...
The things barely overclock either, maybe add 20W. You could SLI on a 650W.

PC GAF, is this dangerous, flipping the HHD over and having the circuit board so close to the black plastic?

The pcb board will be facing down, pretty close to the plastic. The frame right at the edge of the pcb board is... idk... 1/32 of an inch higher, and provides some buffer space i guess.

Nope, it'll be fine.

Imo, for the sake of adding nearly 2x the size just to move the PSU out of sight, doesn't make any sense. It's a huge case. I would love to see one after a year because all the venting looks like a nightmare to clean. And if you can't fit a Strix 970 in a case that massive, something has gone badly wrong. You can fit the largest of GPUs in much smaller Itx cases without a problem. If you can live without a window, you can make a smaller build.

In terms of ease of building, it's up there at the top since it does half the cable management for you with that second chamber design. It depends if that appeals to you. Generally if you spend a bit of time you can make any case have great cabling.

LilJoka

It uses 364W in SLI, what's the other 400W used for then?
An i7 6700k is 90W. As I guessed easily could be run on a 650W if you know what you are buying/doing.
Only reason 750W is recommended is because most people don't know what they are doing when buying a PSU.
If that PSU has 650W on the 12V rail it'll be perfectly fine. Mid range and low end ones will not, but a 750W mid range or low end PSU will, hence that recommendation.

An i7 6700k is 90W. As I guessed easily could be run on a 650W if you know what you are buying/doing.
Only reason 750W is recommended is because most people don't know what they are doing when buying a PSU.
If that PSU has 650W on the 12V rail it'll be perfectly fine. Mid range and low end ones will not, but a 750W mid range or low end PSU will, hence that recommendation.

Overclocks.

6700K running at 4.4Ghz and 1080 in SLI both running at stable overclocks of 1975Mhz , standard config of 1 SSD 1 HDD, and 3 fans.

http://outervision.com/b/BYsHTs 661W.

If you plan to leave it on stock, then by all means, 650W.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm looking for a new GPU to hold me off until i build a new PC. not sure when but probably not for at least another year or 2. i'm only playing at 1080p 60fps. sometimes i like to downscale games from 1440p if i can. right now i have an R9 290 but it has been struggling to manage 1080p 60fps without turning settings way down in games like the witcher 3/doom/division. plus it uses a lot of power and can hit 95C at times.

i was looking at the GTX 1070 but that just seems extremely overkill for 1080p gaming so i started looking at the 980 ti which is now within my budget. i only have an i5-4590 CPU so i am worried that it won't be able to keep up with the 980 ti or should it really not matter if i'm only playing at 1080p 60hz? the other option for me would be to wait and see what the RX 480 offers. i've seen a lot of people mention it might be about the same level of performance as an 980 and it should be about £100-150 cheaper than the 980 Ti.

I'm also guessing it's an efficiency thing, since most PSUs are most efficient at 50% load.

Could someone be kind enough to explain why my power cable to my 6tb RED drive spontaneously started to ignite for the second time? All I did was insert it back into my PC, plugged everything in again and turned on the computer. I turn around and my cables are on fire

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody know if it's possible to inject SMAA into Battlefront and The Witcher 3?
injectSMAA doesn't work for me.

Jezbollah

i'm looking for a new GPU to hold me off until i build a new PC. not sure when but probably not for at least another year or 2. i'm only playing at 1080p 60fps. sometimes i like to downscale games from 1440p if i can. right now i have an R9 290 but it has been struggling to manage 1080p 60fps without turning settings way down in games like the witcher 3/doom/division. plus it uses a lot of power and can hit 95C at times.

i was looking at the GTX 1070 but that just seems extremely overkill for 1080p gaming so i started looking at the 980 ti which is now within my budget. i only have an i5-4590 CPU so i am worried that it won't be able to keep up with the 980 ti or should it really not matter if i'm only playing at 1080p 60hz? the other option for me would be to wait and see what the RX 480 offers. i've seen a lot of people mention it might be about the same level of performance as an 980 and it should be about £100-150 cheaper than the 980 Ti.

Have you thought about trying to look around for a cheap 780ti? You might get a really good price for one and it should be good to go for what you want?

JonCha

As I continue to flirt between different cases the Thermaltake F1 is my current fave. It's fairly cheap, small and it seems easy to build in (which is important as this, for me, effectively my first build).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom