• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

I know this is gonna be a dumb question, but I'm just trying to exactly replicate the new Budget Build in the OP on pcpartpicker so I can have it ready after I get paid, but I'm not understanding the videocard option; I'm going with the "AMD R7 370 4GB" on the build list, but on pcpartpicker none of the R7 370 4GB cards are AMD. Unless I picked another wrong part somewhere so my compatibility list is messed up? This is where I'm at:

RAN0Z2c.jpg

Or if what I'm looking at is correct does it matter much which one I go with? Putting the build together most of the parts all had a ton of reviews, not much here except the first one which is fine, but that one is also $30 above the build listing price of $130 so just want to make sure I'm not messing something else up, first timer here >_>.

Also kind of salty I've got to drop money for a copy of windows, but I don't have a separate windows key I can use, we're building this to replace an OEM machine so that's no go there in terms of upgrading from that license :/.

AMD and NVIDIA build the silicon die, OEMs build the board. So you won't generally buy an AMD or NVIDIA card exactly unless it is their reference design. Non reference designs are made by the OEMs, that can include Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, PNY, Zotac etc.

MrDaravon

AMD and NVIDIA build the silicon die, OEMs build the board. So you won't generally buy an AMD or NVIDIA card exactly unless it is their reference design. Non reference designs are made by the OEMs, that can include Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, PNY, Zotac etc.

Okay, makes sense. So in that screenshot above then would it really matter which one I go with? They're all about the same price except for the only one that's at the price point listed in the build, but that one also has no reviews and I don't think I've ever heard of that brand.

kennah

Okay, makes sense. So in that screenshot above then would it really matter which one I go with? They're all about the same price except for the only one that's at the price point listed in the build, but that one also has no reviews and I don't think I've ever heard of that brand.

Sapphire is fine. Go for it.

MrDaravon

Sapphire is fine. Go for it.

Alright, fair enough. This is what I get replicating the Budget Build with the $30 videocard upgrade and adding in Windows (sigh), seems just about right then:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($75.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 370 4GB Vapor-X Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $572.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-23 17:45 EDT-0400

The extra $30 on the card is fine, but I specifically want to do a budget build to make sure I can build the thing and not fuck it up somehow. This will mostly be a pretty simple games machine for things like Minecraft, Stardew Valley etc along with internet/media etc. If I can get stuff like Cities Skylines/Civ running on it great, but not gonna worry about it otherwise for right now, plan on building a beefier computer later this year.

Alright, fair enough. This is what I get replicating the Budget Build with the $30 videocard upgrade and adding in Windows (sigh), seems just about right then:

The extra $30 on the card is fine, but I specifically want to do a budget build to make sure I can build the thing and not fuck it up somehow. This will mostly be a pretty simple games machine for things like Minecraft, Stardew Valley etc along with internet/media etc. If I can get stuff like Cities Skylines/Civ running on it great, but not gonna worry about it otherwise for right now, plan on building a beefier computer later this year.

TBH you don't even need a dedicated card for those as the integrated HD 530 will do just fine. However by the time you will buy the parts, the AMD 460 will be out and that is a better choice for you than the 370. MSRP should be around 100$ and it will most probably be faster than a 370 and more efficient.

MrDaravon

TBH you don't even need a dedicated card for those as the integrated HD 530 will do just fine. However by the time you will buy the parts, the AMD 460 will be out and that is a better choice for you than the 370. MSRP should be around 100$ and it will most probably be faster than a 370 and more efficient.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. Google tells me the 460 4GB is likely to be $119 and out next week? Goddamn. Obviously if it's more powerful that's even better, but would it be compatible with the budget build without having to change other parts around? Other than the actual building of the PC (I have a weird paranoia about messing up the thermal paste etc) worrying about compatibility has been offputting as well.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. Google tells me the 460 4GB is likely to be $119 and out next week? Goddamn. Obviously if it's more powerful that's even better, but would it be compatible with the budget build without having to change other parts around? Other than the actual building of the PC (I have a weird paranoia about messing up the thermal paste etc) worrying about compatibility has been offputting as well.

Yep don't worry about it, graphics cards are compatible with any build. Just wait for the reviews in about 5 days and then decide if it's worth it. (should be)

Jijidasu

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I figured it is as good as any. I had some help getting my new PC set up and running, but now I'm doing some troubleshooting. First, I had some issues with right-clicking on the desktop and the system stalling (fixed through disabling addons with shellviewer).

I'm also having some issues(?) with my GTX1080. I feel like something is wrong, or that it might be underpowered. I've checked the PCI-E cables are connected correctly, and my PSU is running fine, it appears. I just did a couple runs of 3Dmark11 performance to see what kind of score I'd get and it seems low?

Anyone familiar with what kind of score I should get?

Specs also included in image but:
i7 6700k at 4.4ghz
32gb DDR4 2600mhz
MSI Gaming X GTX1080

OkayRene

Curious issue. I had setup a fan profile for my Gigabyte G1 1070 using their software so that my fans don't run until it hits 60 C. However, my fans are absolutely running, and the GPU is at 49 C. Not sure why it's ignoring that profile suddenly? It was fine yesterday.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I figured it is as good as any. I had some help getting my new PC set up and running, but now I'm doing some troubleshooting. First, I had some issues with right-clicking on the desktop and the system stalling (fixed through disabling addons with shellviewer).

I'm also having some issues(?) with my GTX1080. I feel like something is wrong, or that it might be underpowered. I've checked the PCI-E cables are connected correctly, and my PSU is running fine, it appears. I just did a couple runs of 3Dmark11 performance to see what kind of score I'd get and it seems low?

Anyone familiar with what kind of score I should get?

Specs also included in image but:
i7 6700k at 4.4ghz
32gb DDR4 2600mhz
MSI Gaming X GTX1080
Run MSI afterburner and check the logs of the GPU's core clocks, tempreature, etc. during a 3dmark run. Also maybe run firestrike instead?

Hey everyone, I have a question about doing a clean install of windows 10, using the method in the OP.

I currently have windows 8.1 installed on an SSD, and a secondary regular HDD for files. If I clean install windows 10, will it only wipe the SSD, or the HDD as well? Also, is it recommended to wipe my HDD anyway after 2 years of use (before backing up important files of course)?

MrDaravon

Yep don't worry about it, graphics cards are compatible with any build. Just wait for the reviews in about 5 days and then decide if it's worth it. (should be)

Will do, thanks so much for the advice and heads up! Wasn't planning on ordering parts for probably 2 weeks anyway. I get my semi-annual "free/extra" check next month with the way my paydates fall and was going to use that as an excuse to finally get this done :p.

LogicStep

Got the first wave of parts today. One of the things I got was the monitor and I'm happy to say no dead pixels and not bleed or at least that I can notice. If there is any I'm not susceptible to it so win!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think i'm gonna go with Haz's 1000 USD build, seems pretty solid. When does the RX480 release? i wasn't able to found it on Amazon.
June 29, updated if you click the build sheet now with dates. I'll swap in the image soon too.
The Excellent Build has the GTX 1070 at $350 while the Great and Enthusiast Builds have it at $450 ;)
Cheers. Tempted to slap the 1080 at $650 too. Hopefully prices fall a bit and I don't have to muck with them soon.

Just like this is good to PM since it's hard to read all the posts in the thread.
Hey everyone, I have a question about doing a clean install of windows 10, using the method in the OP.

I currently have windows 8.1 installed on an SSD, and a secondary regular HDD for files. If I clean install windows 10, will it only wipe the SSD, or the HDD as well? Also, is it recommended to wipe my HDD anyway after 2 years of use (before backing up important files of course)?
To be safe, only have the SSD attached during install. If your stuff is on it just keep it on there, no need to wipe. You can do a defrag though on the HDD.

Dmax3901

So after all those questions about monitors yesterday I've decided I don't really need one right now. Gonna save money for a GPU later, R 290 is doing alright.

Kawngi

Just got my MSI Gaming X 1080 but I can't figure out why I'm getting low FPS in WoW.

rest of build:
i7-4790K
16GB DDR3 RAM
1440p @ 144Hz G-Sync monitor
Windows 10 Pro

Trying to play at Ultra, No AA, Shadows at high.

Walking around the world it's dropping to 35~FPS without being in combat or anything

Just got my MSI Gaming X 1080 but I can't figure out why I'm getting low FPS in WoW.

rest of build:
i7-4790K
16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Walking around the world it's dropping to 35~FPS without being in combat or anything

Installed/reinstalled gpu drivers? I'd suggest running 3dmark firestrike and linking your results so we can take a peek. I dunno much about WoW specifically.

Nick_C

Okay PCGAF, on a scale of 1-10, how much trouble should I have upgrading a PSU if I've never done something like this before?

kuYuri

rest of build:
i7-4790K
16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Do you have GeForce Experience installed and is it currently running? I had to disable it because WoW ran like crap for me when it was in the background, but as soon as I disabled it, it started running well. I have the same specs as you, except I have the MSI 980 Ti.

So if I have an Asus card I should use the Asus software for oc or can I use any software like msi or evga or whatever there is?

Asus's software, GPU Tweak II, has a simpler, set overclock levels compared to MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision. If you're uncomfortable or unwilling to do the legwork of finding the exact per Mhz highest overclocks you can get, GPU Tweak II is good enough. I prefer the fine-tuning of MSI Afterburner.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-overclocking-guide-with-afterburner-4-3,2.html

Nick_C

Okay PCGAF, on a scale of 1-10, how much trouble should I have upgrading a PSU if I've never done something like this before?

Never mind. Just pulled the cables from the front of thie old one and stuck them in the front of the new one.

My PC won't turn on now, and now it just smells funky.

rest of build:
i7-4790K
16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Check to see if the Render Scale setting is set at 200% under System > Advanced.

amnesiac

Nope that's a solid build that should work really well for a cabinet. In fact that's basically just the recommended cheap budget gaming build for a the last year or so.

It's probably worth waiting for reviews of the AMD RX 460 in a week's time. It's only $10 more expensive than the 750Ti you've got there and current rumours indicate that it's about a ~30% jump in performance. Probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference for emulation (unless you're running a very high resolution), but if you ever use it for any non-emulated games it's potentially a worthwhile buy.

Thank you!

DoGGyPlanetWoof

Neo Member
Just got this in today.

unnamed.jpg

Rest of my specs:
Fractal Design R5
Gigabyte X99p
5860X @ 4.5 Ghz cooled with a Corsair 115i GTX
32GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
Nvidia 1080 GTX
2 6TB WD Black in Drivepool for redundancy Games.
2 8TB NAS Drives in drivepool for redundancy files
1 850 Samsung Pro 512GB (plan on getting the SM961 or the PCIE Intel)
All seen on a 43Inch 4k Sony 830C TV

This rig is about complete, still waiting on my HTC vive and ill be ready for any gaming needs

23qwerty

tumblr_o99krbyDzC1sflveso1_1280.jpg

Got this one put together today

Found out that the Asus Strix 970 I was planning on putting in it (once I got my 1080 for my main computer) doesn't fit in it since it's too tall :c

The heatpipe sticks out just a bit, apparently you can cut the plexiglass with the back of an xacto knife but I don't realllly want to do that but it's probably better than buying a new gpu..

Love this case though, looks so nice and it's so so so easy to work with

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for nothing, Amazon. More than 24 hours later, my order is still "shipping today".

Edit: The needle has moved to "Preparing for shipment". Progress!

Edit edit: And dispatched. Huzzah.

JaseC

Good time to buy pc parts from the UK?

I see you're a fellow Aussie. Importing from Amazon US would still be the better option.

Edit: Oh, right, there's the lack of VAT to consider. I made a rough equivalent of my Amazon US order on the UK site and the total came to approximately $25 less. Amazon UK is more picky about what it ships to Australia, though (motherboards and processors are a no-go, for instance).

Vuze

That's exactly what I just checked. I'm in France though, and it doesn't actually make much of a difference in the end, even with the Pound Sterling tanking.
Yah, I checked as well. But ~5€ difference barely is worth the trouble. Especially because of additional shipping

Yah, I checked as well. But ~5€ difference barely is worth the trouble. Especially because of additional shipping

Plus Germany's already cheaper than France for PC parts from what I've seen, so if it's not worth it for France it certainly isn't for Germany.

I've actually been mulling over ordering a 1070 from Germany. The 1080 really dropped in price over there (starts at 659€ now) but hasn't in France yet, so I'm hoping the 1070 follows suit.

Chinbo37

I'm building a home server which will have all my media on it, movies, photos, shows, etc.

I am planning not on doing a RAID setup but just that each data drive will have a second drive that will be a backup. With backups done on a weekly basis or something like that.

What is good backup software which I could use? Basically I want something that "mirrors" each drive on a weekly basis but only copys/updates files which have actually been changed since the last backup.

Any help?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm building a home server which will have all my media on it, movies, photos, shows, etc.

I am planning not on doing a RAID setup but just that each data drive will have a second drive that will be a backup. With backups done on a weekly basis or something like that.

What is good backup software which I could use? Basically I want something that "mirrors" each drive on a weekly basis but only copys/updates files which have actually been changed since the last backup.

Any help?
xcopy

So I just got 16GB of 2133 mhz DDR3 RAM and installed it. I was using 8GB of 1600 mhz up until now. Went with 2133 as per that recent Digital Foundry video showing some decent gains by going with the higher speed RAM.

I'm not noticing any difference though. Framerates are basically identical to before.

The 2133 ram is CL 10, while the 1600 ram was CL 9. Are the potential gains not that big because I went with higher latency RAM? I did set the timings in BIOS.

Just trying to squeeze that last bit of performance from my 2500k build.

JaseC

So I just got 16GB of 2133 mhz DDR3 RAM and installed it. I was using 8GB of 1600 mhz up until now. Went with 2133 as per that recent Digital Foundry video showing some decent gains by going with the higher speed RAM.

I'm not noticing any difference though. Framerates are basically identical to before.

The 2133 ram is CL 10, while the 1600 ram was CL 9. Are the potential gains not that big because I went with higher latency RAM? I did set the timings in BIOS.

Just trying to squeeze that last bit of performance from my 2500k build.

The difference will only manifest in instances where you're CPU-limited.

Gartooth

I'm thinking of getting a new PC monitor, although I'm not sure whether going with 4K is worth it yet. I want to wait and see on VR, but at the same time I plan on getting a high end monitor to last me a couple years.

The reason I'm interested is thanks to getting some white flickering lines while playing Overwatch on max settings in my GTX 980ti. I guess it is because my monitor refresh rate needs to be better?

DBT85

Nice! Blue white theme. I went with the typical black red route. I'm super picky when it comes to tubes with bends like that, just my OCD I guess. And because of that, the budget went over with the cost of fittings, because I wanted everything to be in a straight line.

Very nice!

Yeah I thought about it but the cost of the fittings was going to be so high because they really do screw you on those. I enjoyed the challenge of bending the pipes too but its nowhere near as hard as some would make you think. Especially with PETG as it melts so easily and can be reformed if needed. This is my first time doing it and I have one scrap tiny 90 degree bend I did that I now don't need (but was fine if I did need it).

The one pipe from the top rad down to the CPU I might be tempted to redo as it is a bit wobbly, largely due to me having redo it about 5 times to get it to line up correctly! Even then, when filled It'll look fine and I may never bother.

i've had an idea of making a coil/filament design to go between the pump and GPU and the theory works as i've tested it, but a) getting the rubber out is tricky and b) I need a pipe longer than the 500mm that EK sell them in.

The difference will only manifest in instances where you're CPU-limited.
Interesting. My 2500k @ 4.5 ghz doesn't seem to be a limiting factor at all right now. In witcher 3 even in novigrad I don't get 100% cpu usage. I guess spending $65 on the new ram might have been a slight waste of money, but oh well.

Would it however be more important if/when I upgrade to a 1070 from my 970? I've read it helps with "bandwidth hungry" graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom