• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector824

Finally finished ordering the main parts, now to wait for a good deal on a 1070.

How did I do overall? hopefully I'll get everything before the long weekend!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $212.00)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $34.30)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $96.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For $54.07)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $45.93)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $55.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $53.08)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $34.97)
Total: $585.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 09:58 EDT-0400

I say perfect. Wouldn't change a thing, you're right on the money for price vs performance. That rig will scream once you throw in a 1070.

Keihart

Reendering software like Maya/Blender or Photoshop depend more on the RAM and Processor side right? I'm gonna build the Excellent build with the I7 and the RX480. Should i change anything with that focus?

Samemind

I've been looking at what I'd need to buy for my computer to be Vive-able and the conclusion I've come to is this:

GTX 970 (to replace my GTX 560ti)
One of the newer i5 CPUs (to replace my sandy bridge 2500 i5)

The rest of what I've got, I've gotten the impression is supposed to be good enough
2x 4bg ddr3 ram
1tb sata drive
650w PSU
This mobo

Am I missing anything? Should I aim for anything different? Mind, I'm trying to keep my upgrade cost down (especially with the crappy CAD as it is)

Iorv3th

Oh and another question. I have my PC connected to a UPS. What is the correct way of doing things? Should I turn off the UPS when not in use like if I'm not in the house? Or does it not matter? You guys just leave your PC connected to the power all the time?

I leave mine running all the time.

But if you have it connected to a UPS there should be a software with it. You can have your PC shut it self down when it detects it's pulling power from the UPS battery and the UPS gets so low.

Has anyone had luck contacting Microsoft support to get their free Windows 10 license transferred to a new build? Some articles mention this might be possible, but the information out there is hazy.

Hey PC-GAF.

Hope I didn't shit there bed here. Yesterday when I was playing GTAV, temps on my EVGA 970 FTW were really high. At one point it reached 95c for a few seconds.

Discovered msi afterburner failed to enable my custom fan profile. Set it to 30% and temps went back down to under 65c. Played for another 20 minutes without issue. Is my GPU in the green here?

Keihart

Hey PC-GAF.

Hope I didn't shit there bed here. Yesterday when I was playing GTAV, temps on my EVGA 970 FTW were really high. At one point it reached 95c for a few seconds.

Discovered msi afterburner failed to enable my custom fan profile. Set it to 30% and temps went back down to under 65c. Played for another 20 minutes without issue. Is my GPU in the green here?

I think it would shut down before any serious damage, unless you are overclocking or something.

Hey PC-GAF.

Your GPU should be just fine. The cards will usually crash or shut down before any serious damage would have occurred.

beinfilms

Ok, so the RX 480 is out now. Anyone have any recommendations as to where to watch for non-reference news? I don't want to live off of integrated graphics any longer than I absolutely have to.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is the RX 480 a meaningfull upgrade to my GTX 770 or should I just man up and buy a 1070? I assume the latter but I don't know much about hardware.

LogicStep

I leave mine running all the time.

But if you have it connected to a UPS there should be a software with it. You can have your PC shut it self down when it detects it's pulling power from the UPS battery and the UPS gets so low.
Yes it came with software but I haven't installed it. Maybe I should.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just about finished setting up my new pc and i'm loving it so much!.

specs:

i7-6700K 4,0
16GB DDR4 3200
MSI GTX 1070 8GB
MSI Z170A-G43+
1TB SSD Samsung 850
Evga Supernova 750W G2
Windows 10 64-bit.
Fractal Design Define S case

this cpu is damn insane and with the hyper 212x cooler it's running at 22-24C idle. my i5-4590 was lucky to stay at 30-33C with the pathetic little stock fan. can't wait to see what this thing can do when overclocked and pushed to the limit.

not installed any games yet so not sure exactly what the 1070 can do but it's such a nice card. i can't stop staring at the LED lights on it. the fans aren't even spinning and it's only 34C! my 290 needed it's fans spinning at 20% to stay at 40C.

Keihart

Still can't find Rx480 on Amazon, if only there was a GTX 1070 at the promised 379 usd price.... I would just wait but i have to order soon if i want to buy either card at theri NA price tags.

ISee

Building a 1080p/60 PC for a friend.
700€ (germany) is the absolute maximum he can spend.
We already have a SSD.

Current build (Miondfactory.de):

i5 6500 with stock cooling - 196€
Powercolor Readon 480 4GB - 219€
500W EVGA 500B Non-Modular 80+ Bronze PSU - 47.78€
1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD - 44.91€
MSI H110M PRO-VD+ Mainboard - 53.11€
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2133 Ram - 60.74€
Corsair Carbid Series 100R Case
LG DVD-Writer 10.64€

Total cost with shipping: 696.37€

Any recommendations or different ideas for a build?

I'm going to try my luck here for some advice. I'm really interested in building a gaming PC, and so far I've put together this lot. The one thing I'm missing is a graphics card, and I'm leaning towards a 1070, but there are a number of different models and frankly I find it difficult to choose a model since most of the advice I read is simply 'don't get a founder's edition' ... I'm no computer geek so I won't be dabbling in overclocking just yet, I just want a decent gaming PC that's futureproof. Any particular model that's recommended? I see MSI is often named, but then they have a couple different ones as well... It's confusing me.

aKdSExy.png

squadr0n

Need Help setting up a PC for my Grandfather. I gave him my old PC with a fresh install of Windows 10. It originally had a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and 8.1. It has 4 Harddrives. 2 are Raptor 150 gig drives in Raid 0 and the other 2 hard 500 gig.

I have 2 issues:

1. The 2 Raptors that are in Raid are not showing up as available in Windows 10. They originally were partitioned to separate the 2 Windows OS. I cant find them anywhere in Windows 10. Ive tried disk management and still cant find them.

2. His sound is only coming out of his right speaker and the sub woofer. Hes got a 2.1 speaker set up and they are plugged into the Center/Sub out of the sound card. When doing the test the pulse sound comes out of all 3 speakers, but when playing any video or music the sound only comes out of the right and sub.

Does anyone know what I should do to get my Hard drives usable with Windows 10. Is there a Raid specific driver I need or something? Ive even tried checking to see if I can find the partitions but theres nothing there.

Also is there any tips for getting the speaker set up to work? Im going to try my other speakers that use all the outputs in the back of the pc but he would rather use his if possible that only have one jack. I know it used to work fine when I used it.

Its been awhile since Ive worked on PCs so my knowledge isnt what it used to be.

XenodudeX

There's some awesome cases out there depends on what you're looking for.

I just ordered an Ncase, but that is a super specialized case.

When I google that I see a pre-built Socket AM3 Motherboard which was DDR2.

Post a screenshot of CPU-z for us http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

EDIT: Oh boy

qvu3C59.png

Sorry for taking me forever to respond, but this is what I have right now.

Motherboard
Model Dell 0NWWY0
Socket Socket AM3 (938)
North Bridge AMD 785G rev 00
South Bridge AMD SB700 rev 00
BIOS Dell Inc. A06 (09/10/2010)

Memory (RAM)
Total Size 4096 MB
Type Dual Channel (128 bit) DDR3-SDRAM
Frequency 667.2 MHz - Ratio 3:10
Timings 9-9-9-24-33-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)
Slot #1 Module Hyundai Electronics 2048 MB (DDR3-1337) - P/N: HMT325U6BFR8C-H9
Slot #2 Module Hyundai Electronics 2048 MB (DDR3-1337) - P/N: HMT325U6BFR8C-H9

Im pretty sure I don't need DDR2 because the RAM I have right now is DDR3, right?

I'm looking at this right now. Would this be compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

I'm going to try my luck here for some advice. I'm really interested in building a gaming PC, and so far I've put together this lot. The one thing I'm missing is a graphics card, and I'm leaning towards a 1070, but there are a number of different models and frankly I find it difficult to choose a model since most of the advice I read is simply 'don't get a founder's edition' ... I'm no computer geek so I won't be dabbling in overclocking just yet, I just want a decent gaming PC that's futureproof. Any particular model that's recommended? I see MSI is often named, but then they have a couple different ones as well... It's confusing me.

MSI and the Asus STRIX cards are the ones I usually recommend to people. The only other advice I have is maybe kicking the RAM up to 3000 or so, the Skylake chipset makes use of the faster RAM through about 3200 last I checked. Not a big deal, just something I'd mention.

cackhyena

Anyone here use battery backups? I have been having an issue where my electric will blip, fast enough that digital clocks aren't even affected, but my router is. Cuts off all internet and I have to reset the router every time. It's getting infuriating. Will a battery backup make that a seamless transition for the split second it's needed?

vector824

soooo.... am i to assume then nobody knows about the MSI Nightblade PC cases ?

Puh-robably not. I looked at it for fun, never heard of them before though. You'll be paying more of a markup on prices for branding and such but it doesn't seem like a bad case.

Spent about 6 hours using my PC with my new PSU. Clinking noise is still present but a lot less frequent. Maybe it wasn't the PSU. Buzzing noise is still there during gaming but again maybe it's just normal and I am not used to it, can only here it when right beside the PSU. It's a Tier 1 PSU so it shouldnt have the same issues as my other one I hope.

Thraktor

I've been looking at what I'd need to buy for my computer to be Vive-able and the conclusion I've come to is this:

GTX 970 (to replace my GTX 560ti)
One of the newer i5 CPUs (to replace my sandy bridge 2500 i5)

The rest of what I've got, I've gotten the impression is supposed to be good enough
2x 4bg ddr3 ram
1tb sata drive
650w PSU
This mobo

Am I missing anything? Should I aim for anything different? Mind, I'm trying to keep my upgrade cost down (especially with the crappy CAD as it is)

You're probably better off with an 8GB RX 480 rather than the 970, unless you find a particularly good deal on the 970.

Also, keep in mind modern (ie Skylake) processors would require a new motherboard and new DDR4 RAM.

Vuze

Spent about 6 hours using my PC with my new PSU. Clinking noise is still present but a lot less frequent. Maybe it wasn't the PSU. Buzzing noise is still there during gaming but again maybe it's just normal and I am not used to it, can only here it when right beside the PSU. It's a Tier 1 PSU so it shouldnt have the same issues as my other one I hope.
HDD maybe? Some cable touching the case?
Don't know your background, some spontaneous ideas which caused buzzing for me in the past.

HDD maybe? Some cable touching the case?
Don't know your background, some spontaneous ideas which caused buzzing for me in the past.

I've checked most things, fans touching cables, etc but everything seems to be fine. It could actually be the sleeving of the PSU cables, if I scratch them with my finger they make a very similar noise. Doesn't seem to be any issues with it though. I presume they are supposed to make a little noise when gaming so thats probably an overreaction.

dragn

so guis i just bought a 6700k and mb combo and need ddr4. i have 75€ amazon.de credit and not sure which ram to pick. of course i want 16gb.
im looking at geil and hyperx 3000mhz cl15 kits right now. any recommendations?

vector824

so guis i just bought a 6700k and mb combo and need ddr4. i have 75€ amazon.de credit and not sure which ram to pick. of course i want 16gb.

Definitely 3000mhz, it's the sweet spot for price v performance. I have HyperX and its great.

Is there something going on with the ASUS Z170-A motherboards? They seem to be going out of stock at most places.

Low stock? Not in production anymore? Something else?

I got corsair 2666 and just overclocked them to 3000. I just had to up the voltage. They were on sale for like $60 for 16gb.

squadr0n

Need Help setting up a PC for my Grandfather. I gave him my old PC with a fresh install of Windows 10. It originally had a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and 8.1. It has 4 Harddrives. 2 are Raptor 150 gig drives in Raid 0 and the other 2 hard 500 gig.

I have 2 issues:

1. The 2 Raptors that are in Raid are not showing up as available in Windows 10. They originally were partitioned to separate the 2 Windows OS. I cant find them anywhere in Windows 10. Ive tried disk management and still cant find them.

2. His sound is only coming out of his right speaker and the sub woofer. Hes got a 2.1 speaker set up and they are plugged into the Center/Sub out of the sound card. When doing the test the pulse sound comes out of all 3 speakers, but when playing any video or music the sound only comes out of the right and sub.

Does anyone know what I should do to get my Hard drives usable with Windows 10. Is there a Raid specific driver I need or something? Ive even tried checking to see if I can find the partitions but theres nothing there.

Also is there any tips for getting the speaker set up to work? Im going to try my other speakers that use all the outputs in the back of the pc but he would rather use his if possible that only have one jack. I know it used to work fine when I used it.

Its been awhile since Ive worked on PCs so my knowledge isnt what it used to be.

Update: I fixed the Audio issues finally. Still cant figure out how to find the 2 drives though. Im thinking it has something to do with the BIOS but have no idea how to change that stuff.

I'm about ready to finally upgrade my PC after researching the past couple months and waiting for benchmarks of the new 480x.

My system is currently:

i7 920
6GB of memory
Gtx 285

Yes, these are pretty old. I built this system in 2009.

I am planning to get:

12gb of memory
AMD 480x 8gb version

How is my i7 920? Does it still hold up in modern games? Will it be a massive bottleneck with my new GPU and memory upgrade?

I game on a 1080p monitor.

Windam

Scaley member
Bah I got a problem. Bought a Corsair Carbide 100R case to fit in my old M4A77TD and GTX 460 at my sister's place, and frustratingly, the gfx card won't fit. Removing the standoff screws and trying to install the card while adjusting the mobo doesn't work either. Damn thing just won't align properly. Garhshsjajsjaka

knitoe

Anyone here use battery backups? I have been having an issue where my electric will blip, fast enough that digital clocks aren't even affected, but my router is. Cuts off all internet and I have to reset the router every time. It's getting infuriating. Will a battery backup make that a seamless transition for the split second it's needed?
Yes. A battery backup should fix you problem. Since you are experiencing power fluctuations, I would definitely recommend you get one or more and put your expensive electronics, like your PC, plugged behind it.

vector824

Building a 1080p/60 PC for a friend.
700€ (germany) is the absolute maximum he can spend.
We already have a SSD.

Current build (Miondfactory.de):

i5 6500 with stock cooling - 196€
Powercolor Readon 480 4GB - 219€
500W EVGA 500B Non-Modular 80+ Bronze PSU - 47.78€
1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD - 44.91€
MSI H110M PRO-VD+ Mainboard - 53.11€
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2133 Ram - 60.74€
Corsair Carbid Series 100R Case
LG DVD-Writer 10.64€

Total cost with shipping: 696.37€

Any recommendations or different ideas for a build?

If I'm correct the i5 6500 doesnt come with a stock cooler so go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I would drop the RAM to 8gb at 3000mhz, you'll see more FPS gains from faster memory than more memory.

wihio

So I am sorting out an upgrade (i7 6700k, probably a 480) and I am really stuck on cases and by proxy, motherboards. I will be going with water cooling, likely the Corsair H100i v2 unless someone offers a better solution, because I want to overclock.

I want to ask, are there any miniATX cases that would be ok for both the 480 (in terms of size) and the ability to overclock? A quiet case would also be nice. I have been eyeing the Corsair 400Q, which is a mid sized case for a while, but then realized that it may be possible for me to go a bit smaller. The fact that I cannot have an internal bluray drive bugs me a little too.

I would have 1 SSD and 2 regular HDs shoved in there as well. Either way, there are so many damn cases to choose from. I want something quiet, good cooling, and no need for a window. I don't mind spending ~100-150 at this point.

I have only used Gigabyte boards in the past and feel like changing it up primarily for the BIOS. I have been leaning toward the ASUS z170 PRO, but would of course be fine switching that for a mini board if it would work well.

I do not plan on buying until the prices come down again. I should have pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago when everything was a bit lower in cost. At least this gives me more time to ponder cases and motherboards!

I ordered an XFX rx 480 but my 144hz monitor, BenQ XL2411z, has no DisplayPort only HDMI, DVI-DL, and VGA. Sadly, I realized this after it wasn't possible to cancel anymore.

How would I connect my monitor to the 480 while still maintaining 144hz at 1920x1080 resolution? Is this even possible?

I've found this adapter but am not sure it will work: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=4827&seq=1&format=2

I also wanted to connect a 2nd 1920x1200 60hz monitor at the same time, which I'm planning to connect to the 480's HDMI port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom