• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Feature wise she understands it's good, but she also has a thing about colors and an all black case aint gonna cut it

Are cube type cases making the cut? Maybe Node 304 in white.

I used to own the Lian Li PC-V354B. Also available in silver, PC-V354A.

It has good airflow, but the PSU placement restricts CPU cooler choice.

I found it's very nice looking being aluminium, easy to finger print though and scratch (you need to be very careful). It's also generally louder, no matter if the fans run low, due to the aluminium not providing any dampening.

Case labs if you can afford it for a lifetime case.

You don't need liquid cooling unless you're OCing, which most people don't do. The Cooler Master cooler is a big heat-sink that uses air to keep your CPU cool. Its cheaper than what you picked, and you can still do a small OC if you want in the future.

If you have a limited budget, there's give and take. You can save $100 on a cooler and buy more fans, or more memory, or more HD space. The rule of thumb is if you don't need it for your application, don't spend money on it.

I suggested saving money on the case and cooler, and going for a better SSD, which in turn makes your computer faster, because you don't need it colder. You can buy a great case for under $100, and just add more fans, which cost around $20 a piece (for REALLY nice fans) and you're in the same boat as the $400 case. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a really smoking fast computer. For example, the M.2 SSD I suggested (and own personally) supports a higher data bandwidth, and faster read/write speeds so programs launch faster, file transfers are quicker, and it doesn't bottleneck your CPU or RAM. It costs more, but its way faster. So, don't spend $530 on a cooler and case you don't need, and buy an SSD that's better for what your application is.

If you're not looking to build in October, put together a final list a few days before you buy. Locking yourself into a specific idea of what you want now will limit you. Computer components change weekly. So do some research, read tech articles, Google up the components.

As an example: The CPU cooler you need, faster SSD, better MOBO that's more future proof, a cheaper case that's just as good (with two fans added) and I saved you $300. So now you can spend that on other components.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.45 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($257.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($195.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($234.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($949.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($40.00 @ shopRBC)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($25 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($25 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2580.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-26 15:28 EDT-0400

Keep in mind this will all change in a couple months. Hope that's helpful.

thanks. its helpful but I'm unsure about that mobo, seen a few bad reviews...

what do you mean by "change in a couple months"? like better parts will come out or prices will change?

Jaleel

I'm actually quite impressed that Alienware was brave enough to show their new system's internals.

With that said, buying this would be a waste of money. So many better boutiques + NCIX that could do something nicer than that for less money. They high end system comes stock with a 450 Watt power supply. I'd need a little more head room than that. At least 600.

Thought the tool-less case was pretty dope without looking too gamer. I ordered a rig with an i7 6700k liquid cooled and oc'd, 8gb 2133 ram ( Ram prices are silly so newegg for that ) and a 1080 GTX with a 850w power supply. 1949.99 after all said and done on the phone. Pretty happy. Sold my peasant consoles for this ritual lol.

So I understand that my i5-2500K @ 4.5 ghz will bottleneck a GTX 1070 if I were to upgrade to one, but how much exactly?

For instance, I game at 1080p. Witcher 3 is my drug of choice, and I get a mostly locked 60fps with the mix of settings I have now. Spots like Novigrad cause slight drops, I'm assuming because of the CPU.

My question is, say I get drops to 45fps on my 2500k paired with a 970. If I instead have a 1070, will I still get drops to 45? Is the CPU the rate limiting step so to speak? Or is it more like, I will get 10-15% less performance than the max the 1070 can put out (which I'm assuming will be WAY over 60fps at all times).

Hopefully that question makes sense?

badb0y

Gaming performance wise is there any reason to upgrade from a i7 2600k at 4.7 Ghz to an i7 6700k? I have a potentially good deal and I am not sure if I should actually go through with it.

Trigg

Banned
Gaming performance wise is there any reason to upgrade from a i7 2600k at 4.7 Ghz to an i7 6700k? I have a potentially good deal and I am not sure if I should actually go through with it.

No, you may bring up your minimum framerate but thats it.

BizzyBum

Damn, I ordered a new gaming PC on CyberPowerPC with a 1080 since I received my Rift earlier this month. Placed the order on 6/8 with estimated shipping for 6/22 but just got back an e-mail after asking the status of the order and they said the 1080 is still back ordered. =/

Guess that's what I get when I'm lazy and don't want to build it myself. lol

Rizzi

Two questions for you guys.
If I don't plan on overclocking, is there any reason to get the i5 6600k over the i5 6600?
Is using 1600Mhz DDR3 ram going to be a major issue? Building the new PC a few parts at time and saving costs by getting new ram later would be nice.

Nielm

I need some advice.

I'm doing a list of parts for someone, and the list looks like a good build, however I am unsure if it's better overall than a pre-built PC he's found.

The pre-built PC uses some cost-effective parts (like an Aerocool PSU.)

Is:

http://pastebin.com/q9eNNK7A

Better than:

http://pastebin.com/17Rt7FBa

The PC I've put together is £9.43 more. Is it better than the pre-built PC, and what changes should be made? (The graphics card needs to be NVIDIA only.) I am unsure what RAM the pre-built PC is using, however it seems like it's this: HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM Memory Kit

Vic_Viper

Need help with my sound on a Windows 10 PC. Just did a fresh install of win 10 and had it update all the drivers automatically. I have 2 speakers and a sub hooked up through the Center/Sub out and the audio only comes out of the right speaker and sub. When it does the test the tones plays fine out of all three but when playing a YouTube video or music it only comes through the right and sub. Any ideas?

So I understand that my i5-2500K @ 4.5 ghz will bottleneck a GTX 1070 if I were to upgrade to one, but how much exactly?

For instance, I game at 1080p. Witcher 3 is my drug of choice, and I get a mostly locked 60fps with the mix of settings I have now. Spots like Novigrad cause slight drops, I'm assuming because of the CPU.

My question is, say I get drops to 45fps on my 2500k paired with a 970. If I instead have a 1070, will I still get drops to 45? Is the CPU the rate limiting step so to speak? Or is it more like, I will get 10-15% less performance than the max the 1070 can put out (which I'm assuming will be WAY over 60fps at all times).

Hopefully that question makes sense?

It's a relatively minor effect with a 2500k at 4.5ghz. Definitely grab the 1070 imo.

Check out this video comparing the 2600k at 4.4ghz to a 6700k at 4.4ghz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sx1kLGVAF0. They're using a Titan X (basically a 1070) and 1080p, so it should be pretty comparable. Your 2500k will be not too far behind the 2600k (there's a video on their channel comparing them I believe).

My guess is, depending on the title, the CPU might cause a 10-20% loss in performance relative to a (e.g.) 6700k with that setup. So it's not that much, and at 60Hz won't be a problem with such a fast GPU imho. You could probably nail it down with hard numbers with some googling if you'd like.

Filth

Hey PC bros. I built this computer and I'm looking to make the look a bit better. I have a module psu and want some simple cleaner wires. Could anyone recommend a site? Should I change all the wires or just the gpu?

Pendas

Banned
Quick Question for the PC Gamers here.

If you had to choose one of the following for gaming. Which would be best?

1. 1440 Resolution, 60hz
2. 1080 Resolution, 144hz.

What are the benefits of both, and is it worth getting a 144hz Monitor if it's not Gsync / Freesync?

TheExodu5

Banned

1. 1440 Resolution, 60hz

What are the benefits of both, and is it worth getting a 144hz Monitor if it's not Gsync / Freesync?

If you play any first person games, 144Hz without a doubt. 60Hz feels so sluggish by comparison.

And sure, 144Hz is still worth it without GSync. In fact, 144Hz cuts down on input lag a fair bit so GSync is not as necessary as it is on a slower refresh rate monitor.

I'm trying really hard to come up with reasons to not get this 29" ultrawide off craigslist (listed @ $160), and can't really come up with any (though its been up for a few days, may be gone)

I run a 2500k/ R9 390, which should drive this well enough. With Overwatch adding 21:9 support soon, I feel like I should finally hop on the ultrawide bandwagon

Don't do it. Either get a 34" ultrawide or just stick to a 24"/27" IMO. I had an LG 29" for a month but sold it since it felt very cramped. A 34" would be perfect but I gone with the Acer XB271HU and its perfect. Your mileage may vary of course but to me the 29" feels like a stop gap and eI was already looking at other monitors even on the first day.

vector824

thanks. its helpful but I'm unsure about that mobo, seen a few bad reviews...

what do you mean by "change in a couple months"? like better parts will come out or prices will change?

That's fair. Ultimately pick what you feel comfortable buying. I have it, love it, and it's a great board. Also, it has Thunderbolt support and the ASUS does not. All these lists are just suggestions and not set in stone, but I wont suggest something I wouldn't buy myself.

Yes, new parts can be released, and prices can change weekly. So if you're a couple months out from buying don't plan on this exact setup. For instance Samsung could release a new SSD that's faster and cheaper in September that we don't know about yet.

mochi~

Banned
just got this case, my 1080 strix, 6600k.. and some NICE vengeance leds. i am so excited.
JXruAzu.jpg

will0wis

1. 1440 Resolution, 60hz

I was asking myself the same things very recently as I researched new parts for my budget-conscious build. The answer depends on a few things such as your budget, the size of the screen you want to use and what kind of games you play.

In my case I ultimately decided for a 24" 1080p @ 144Hz without G-Sync. This is the type of monitor with the most diversity in the market today. There are affordable products from quite a few brands that have amazing image quality/price ratios that will work well for all kinds of games. I don't even play FPS that much, but the smoothness of the high refresh rate and the faster response times should be good in any kind of game, really.

Why not G-Sync — I will be using a GTX 1070 that can push decently high framerates in pretty much every recent game. I really don't think G-Sync will be very useful, considering it's also very costly.

Why not 1440p — 1440p had me very tempted but eventually I realized that the cost of 1440p is so much higher compared to the actual benefits that the higher resolution introduces (without any improvements to refresh rate) that I just couldn't find anything to justify paying literally double the price if what I'm going to do with my PC does not involve working with very high resolution content and/or also does not requires a TON of space to work with, as it's considered useless to use 1440p for a screen of less than 27". That's just too big for me.

However, that last point it also the reason why I think you would 100% definitely want 1440p over 1080p if you are going to play very close to the screen — anything over 24" with 1080p wouldn't look very good imo. So, if you want a really big screen, go for 1440p.

Don't do it. Either get a 34" ultrawide or just stick to a 24"/27" IMO. I had an LG 29" for a month but sold it since it felt very cramped. A 34" would be perfect but I gone with the Acer XB271HU and its perfect. Your mileage may vary of course but to me the 29" feels like a stop gap and eI was already looking at other monitors even on the first day.

I've been going back and forth on 29 v 34. Obviously you get higher res and more monitor with the 34, but its so bloody expensive! And I'm not sure how well my 2500k/390 would do at that resolution either

Perhaps I'll wait for an amazing deal on a 34...

Vuze

just got this case, my 1080 strix, 6600k.. and some NICE vengeance leds. i am so excited.
JXruAzu.jpg
#Team400C

It is kind of a bitch to build in if you use all available HDD/SSD slots but apart from that it's super sexy. Wish they'd sell a seperate tempered glass side panel though, the default one attracts hair like crazy you got a pet.

BasicMath

Goddamn PSUs are expensive right now. At least the 5-6 I'm looking at are $25-$40 overpriced across the board. Pretty sure it's because of the release of the 1070/1080/480. I don't think I can wait more than 2 weeks, so I hope the fever dies down by then.

I love the design. I have the big full tower one (760t) and it's absolutely beautiful.
Only problem is the side panel is a dust magnet.
#Team400C

It is kind of a bitch to build in if you use all available HDD/SSD slots but apart from that it's super sexy. Wish they'd sell a seperate tempered glass side panel though, the default one attracts hair like crazy you got a pet.
Completely agree but I don't think the frame is sturdy enough for it. At least not in the 760t.

jblank83

So I bought up all my parts...

ROG Hero MB
Windforce 980ti (supposedly excellent OC and performance compared to 1070/80)

I considered a Gsync monitor, but from what I can tell now is not the time to buy one, given advances in displayport and forthcoming improved monitors over those available now.

Is that correct?

Are many people running their games in 4k yet?

There are. Depending On what your expectations are with 4K. My personal preference that at 4K, anti-aliasing isn't necessary, the pixels are so dense they provide free AA of sorts. Some may disagree but that's the way I see it. I ran all my games in 4K sans AA. Then only I'll see if I need to drop other settings to get good framerates. With G-Stync monitor I don't need to have the framerates up so high to get them feeling smooth, still get the same experience 4K at 60fps sans G-Sync when I ran a game at 35-40fps with the help of G-Sync.

mochi~

Banned
#Team400C

Definitely. I was torn between this or in win 303..but I heard negatives about cable management and not too fond of the front io style.

Are cube type cases making the cut? Maybe Node 304 in white.

I used to own the Lian Li PC-V354B. Also available in silver, PC-V354A.

It has good airflow, but the PSU placement restricts CPU cooler choice.

I found it's very nice looking being aluminium, easy to finger print though and scratch (you need to be very careful). It's also generally louder, no matter if the fans run low, due to the aluminium not providing any dampening.

Case labs if you can afford it for a lifetime case.

she likes the node so we might be going that route

now just gotta wait on these GPUs to release and figure out a CPU/mobo combo that can fit (does the hyper 212 fit?)

Thraktor

she likes the node so we might be going that route

now just gotta wait on these GPUs to release and figure out a CPU/mobo combo that can fit (does the hyper 212 fit?)

Yes. I've got a 212 in my Node 304. One thing worth noting is that cable management can be a bit tricky when you're using a tower cooler in the case, though, so budget more time for the build than you would for a typical ATX build.

Bought some DDR 2400 ram. If I'm to understand before I plug this in I should go into my bios to find where I need to adjust speeds? When I plug these in they'll default to 1600 unless I OC them in the bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom