• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Is there any downside to getting an ITX motherboard?

I've been looking at cases for my first new build in ages, and the understated Fractal Design S has been appealing to me, but then I checked out the dimensions and found that it would be even bigger than this NZXT Apollo monstrosity I've been rolling with for the past decade:

dO0QyHa.jpg

I'm no longer in my 20s and don't really want something that screams gamer. (E.g., I would buy an Acer Predator if it didn't look so dumb. I'm going with a Dell monitor instead.). The Define Nano S seems right up my alley, but I'm also sparing no expense on this thing and don't want to compromise. 1 SSD and 2x3.5 inch drives would be enough for me, and a spare PCI expansion slot would be nice.

Is there anything I might be giving up with the form factor? What does PC GAF think?
ITX is fantastic. But I think, now that you're no longer in your twenties, you'll be interested in Case Labs. They just released a compact line of cases called the Bullet series. The BH4 is a MicroATX case that is barely bigger than many ITX cases. Fits your criteria easily.

http://www.caselabs-store.com

They aren't cheap, but, for many many people, they're the last case they ever buy.

mochi~

Banned

I've been looking at cases for my first new build in ages, and the understated Fractal Design S has been appealing to me, but then I checked out the dimensions and found that it would be even bigger than this NZXT Apollo monstrosity I've been rolling with for the past decade:

dO0QyHa.jpg

I'm no longer in my 20s and don't really want something that screams gamer. (E.g., I would buy an Acer Predator if it didn't look so dumb. I'm going with a Dell monitor instead.). The Define Nano S seems right up my alley, but I'm also sparing no expense on this thing and don't want to compromise. 1 SSD and 2x3.5 inch drives would be enough for me, and a spare PCI expansion slot would be nice.

Is there anything I might be giving up with the form factor? Is cooling or reliability going to be more of an issue? What does PC GAF think?

that case looks like something from the 90s.

ITX is fantastic. But I think, now that you're no longer in your twenties, you'll be interested in Case Labs. They just released a compact line of cases called the Bullet series. The BH4 is a MicroATX case that is barely bigger than many ITX cases. Fits your criteria easily.

They aren't cheap, but, for many many people, they're the last case they ever buy.

Thanks. That stuff looks really nice. I think my pool of case contenders just increased.

L-gon

Don't buy into the hype, if you are going to go to skylake you do not need a 6700k. A 6600k will be near identical in 99% of games. Save the ~$80 or so. If $80 is worth saving a couple minutes on your light video editing then so be it. But its not worth it for games.

God digital foundry has spread so much bad information around here.

I would buy the video card and use it in your current machine and test and see if the performance is acceptable. Overclock that 2500k, 4.6+ is easy.

I appreciate the input. Looking closer at the two CPUs heads-up, it doesn't make much sense to splurge for my specific set of needs.

All of this. I have a 6600k. If someone is adamant about it I'll include it in their build, otherwise the 5% gain isn't worth the cost.

Here's how I would build mine. It's VERY close to what I am running. This includes the 950 Pro, so if you wanna save a bit drop to a 850 Pro.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($8.99 @ Directron)
Total: $1386.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-26 21:48 EDT-0400

Thank you sir.

A few quick questions.

-Does this motherboard's single M.2 slot support the PCI-Express 3.0 x4 tech for the faster transfer speeds (I assume so, although a bit confused by the M.2 standard).
-How are the noise levels on that NZXT case? Do they make a version sans window?
-Can you weigh in on getting a FE 1070 vs a custom design? How is the reference model noise-wise?

Does anyone know the differences between DDR4 2133 vs DDR4 4266? Like is there any point going that high or any advantages I don't know about?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I've been wondering whats the difference between these two options? Isn't the right one using an old chipset (Asus Strix X99)? But its using a newer processor?

Which one of those would you recommend? Or should i wait just a bit more (new OEM GTX1080, etc.)?

ajjw8pg.png

Vuze

Åesop;208452717 said:
Hey guys, I've been wondering whats the difference between these two options? Isn't the right one using an old chipset (Asus Strix X99)? But its using a newer processor?

Which one of those would you recommend? Or should i wait just a bit more (new OEM GTX1080, etc.)?

ajjw8pg.png
Nah, X99 is a high-end chipset for LGA-2011v3 CPUs (basically if you want/need >4 physical cores, that's the one to use). 6800k has 6 physical cores whereas the 6700k has 4.

Also the price tags seem extremely high... but I haven't picked out all the parts and compared the individual price.

E: About 2155€ w/o BluRay drive & Windows license (no idea which drive they use and Windows key can be bought for dirty cheap online) for the X99 rig. So you're looking at quite the hefty premium.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nah, X99 is a high-end chipset for LGA-2011v3 CPUs (basically if you want/need >4 physical cores, that's the one to use). 6800k has 6 physical cores whereas the 6700k has 4.

Also the price tags seem extremely high... but I haven't picked out all the parts and compared the individual price.

E: About 2155€ w/o BluRay drive & Windows license (no idea which drive they use and Windows key can be bought for dirty cheap online) for the X99 rig. So you're looking at quite the hefty premium.

Yeah, the better option, if building it yourself is a no-go, is to source the parts yourself and pay a store to put it together for you.

Joco

Well, drove four hours Friday to get to the nearest Ikea and picked up the Fredde work station. Love it so far. If anyone's looking for a computer desk, I'd highly recommend looking at it.

JonCha

These cases look great ad are exactly the kind of design I'm looking for. The NCASE M1 is also fantastic, but both of these cases are super expensive to import into the UK.

Vuze

so i was just gonna get a new case and upgrade my cpu (which means new mobo/ram/cooler). but now i'm tempted to get a GTX 1070 to replace my 290.

the only one available is this MSI one:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GEFORCE-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G.html

it seems this is the only one that has a 6+8 pin connection so that should mean better OC'ing right? i was looking at the EVGA model but it's out of stock. will i be fine with this MSI card?
Not necessarily, so far temps and voltage seem to be the limiting factors for Pascal. But it can't hurt to have some extra power over reference =)

And yeah, the cooling solution is good. The Gaming X 1080 is very expensive in comparison to other cards though, I don't know how the 1070 equivalent holds up in that regard.

Is there anything I might be giving up with the form factor? Is cooling or reliability going to be more of an issue? What does PC GAF think?

Yes - You won't ever be able to use dedicated internal sound card if you use ITX since GPU occupies only PCI-Express slot. You won't ever be able to expand into multi-gpu configuration. And you can say goodbye to PCI-Express SSDs.

Also it will usually have less sata ports

And yes cooling is worse since height of cpu coolers is usually restricted so you can't install biggest best performing ones like Noctua or Phanteks.

I went m-atx because of that - it's still smaller but you don't sacrafice everything for it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Not necessarily, so far temps and voltage seem to be the limiting factors for Pascal. But it can't hurt to have some extra power over reference =)

And yeah, the cooling solution is good. The Gaming X 1080 is very expensive in comparison to other cards though, I don't know how the 1070 equivalent holds up in that regard.

here in the UK the 1070's are mostly £410-430. so i'll be paying pretty much the same price no matter what card i go for. reference cards are maybe £10-20 cheaper. 1080's are about £200 more than 1070's.

Baleoce

Thoughts on using something like this as a semi portable audio workstation? It's a barebones micro PC with the following specs:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...kull-canyon-barebones-micro-pc-fs-000-if.html

CPU: 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7-6770HQ processor with Intel® Iris™ Pro graphics (2.6 to 3.5 GHz Turbo, Quad Core, 6 MB Cache, 45W TDP) http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6770HQ+@+2.60GHz&id=2759

Memory: Dual channel DDR4-2133+ SODIMMs
1.2/1.35V, 32 GB maximum

Graphics: Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580
1x HDMI* 2.0 (4K 60 Hz)
1x Mini DisplayPort* 1.2 (4K 60 Hz)
1x DisplayPort* 1.2 via Type-C

Connections: Thunderbolt™ 3 (40 Gbps) or USB 3.1 Gen2 (10 Gbps) via USB Type C connector
2x front USB 3.0 (one charging)
2x rear USB 3.0, 2x internal USB 3.0 and 2x internal USB 2.0 via header
Consumer infrared port on front panel

Storage: 2x M.2 22x42/60/80 (key M) slots for SATA3 or PCIe* X4 Gen3 NVMe or AHCI SSD
SDXC slot with UHS-I support

Networking: Intel® I219-LM 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 soldered-down, (IEEE 802.11ac 2x2, Bluetooth* 4.2, internal antennas, Intel® Wireless Display 6.0)

==============

Price: £569.99

Is this a good price for the potential?

As far as for being an audio workstation is concerned: I can put up to 32GB DDR4 in it, and 2x M.2 SSD slots, and can connect a thunderbolt audio interface. Aren't there also desktop grade GPUs that connect via thunderbolt? I'm not sure about the latter, they might still be in testing phase.

belkheldar

Neo Member
About to purchase my first gaming PC in over a decade, thinking about getting the pieces below:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card $429.99
Model #:GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Item #:N82E16814125871

Thermaltake Chaser A21 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $70.99
Color: Black
Model #:CA-1A3-00M1WN-00
Item #:9SIA24G28M4515

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K
Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 $389.99
Model #:BX80662I76700K
Item #:N82E16819117559

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $154.99
Model #:Z170 PRO GAMING
Item #:N82E16813132567

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GVS $76.99
Model #:F4-3000C15D-16GVS
Item #:N82E16820232180

WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX $159.99
Model #:WD2003FZEX
Item #:N82E16822236624

EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply $149.99
Model #:220-G2-0850-XR

Really appreciate any suggestions / improvements / issues you can see

vector824

Thank you sir.

A few quick questions.

-Does this motherboard's single M.2 slot support the PCI-Express 3.0 x4 tech for the faster transfer speeds (I assume so, although a bit confused by the M.2 standard).
-How are the noise levels on that NZXT case? Do they make a version sans window?
-Can you weigh in on getting a FE 1070 vs a custom design? How is the reference model noise-wise?

Yes it does. From the website: "PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connector with up to 32Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe NVMe & SATA SSD support)". It's very confusing!

I couldn't speak to noise exactly. I have it sitting right next to me and it's pretty quiet. I don't have a reference point really because I moved from a laptop to this. There isn't one without a window. It's a great case with excellent airflow, cable management and USB 3 up front.

Custom designs have 3rd party fans and coolers, the GPU is supplied by Nvidia but the board itself is sometimes made by the third party, sometimes by Nvidia if I am correct. They'll be OC'd sometimes where as an FE is not. I just used it as a placeholder for your budget. Here's a good article on noise levels.

Here's my case with the panel on:

vector824

About to purchase my first gaming PC in over a decade, thinking about getting the pieces below:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card $429.99
Model #:GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Item #:N82E16814125871

Thermaltake Chaser A21 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $70.99
Color: Black
Model #:CA-1A3-00M1WN-00
Item #:9SIA24G28M4515

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K
Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 $389.99
Model #:BX80662I76700K
Item #:N82E16819117559

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $154.99
Model #:Z170 PRO GAMING
Item #:N82E16813132567

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GVS $76.99
Model #:F4-3000C15D-16GVS
Item #:N82E16820232180

WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX $159.99
Model #:WD2003FZEX
Item #:N82E16822236624

EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply $149.99
Model #:220-G2-0850-XR

Really appreciate any suggestions / improvements / issues you can see

Looks good. I'd drop the 6700 and go for the 6600 and buy an SSD to put your OS on. You'll see a much better performance improvement with an SSD vs a 5% faster CPU and just a HDD. 850 Pro's are good, if you have the budget go for a 950 M.2 NVMe SSD. The Corsair 650RMx will be more than enough for your power needs and is $40 cheaper.

I bought a GTX 960 as a placeholder GPU when I built mine around May but I'm looking into replacing it now that the new cards are out but I don't really understand how Nvidia rolled out the cards or what I'm supposed to buy. It is my understanding that what is currently out right now in regards to the 1070/1080 are reference cards and that these are worse than 3rd party ones. Is this correct?

vector824

I bought a GTX 960 as a placeholder GPU when I built mine around May but I'm looking into replacing it now that the new cards are out but I don't really understand how Nvidia rolled out the cards or what I'm supposed to buy. It is my understanding that what is currently out right now in regards to the 1070/1080 are reference cards and that these are worse than 3rd party ones. Is this correct?

It is my understanding that Nvidia released it's own manufactured card with a base clock of 1506MHz (and boost to 1683), with a single fan. The third party cards are released with increased cooling capacity and are usually OC'd, some are not however. These can be noisier because of the increased number of fans, but are supposed to preform better than the base version and costs vary. Apparently they're having supply issues though. Newegg is all out of stock.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yes it does. From the website: "PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connector with up to 32Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe NVMe & SATA SSD support)". It's very confusing!

I couldn't speak to noise exactly. I have it sitting right next to me and it's pretty quiet. I don't have a reference point really because I moved from a laptop to this. There isn't one without a window. It's a great case with excellent airflow, cable management and USB 3 up front.

Custom designs have 3rd party fans and coolers, the GPU is supplied by Nvidia but the board itself is sometimes made by the third party, sometimes by Nvidia if I am correct. They'll be OC'd sometimes where as an FE is not. I just used it as a placeholder for your budget. Here's a good article on noise levels.

Here's my case with the panel on:

is it difficult to install those huge cpu coolers? i'm wanting to get a hyper 212x but worried about installing it incase i damage the motherboard.

vector824

is it difficult to install those huge cpu coolers? i'm wanting to get a hyper 212x but worried about installing it incase i damage the motherboard.

Well my friend helped me put it in, so having an extra pair of hands made a difference. It was quite a pain, and we had to wipe off the paste and try a second time. Install the cooler bolts on the back of the mobo, install the mobo in the case, then CPU, then cooler. DONT install the cooler before you put the mobo in the case.

It is my understanding that Nvidia released it's own manufactured card with a base clock of 1506MHz (and boost to 1683), with a single fan. The third party cards are released with increased cooling capacity and are usually OC'd, some are not however. These can be noisier because of the increased number of fans, but are supposed to preform better than the base version and costs vary. Apparently they're having supply issues though. Newegg is all out of stock.

Ok thank you. I was unaware the third party ones were out. I thought it was all the founder's edition. So basically if I can find one just pounce on it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Well my friend helped me put it in, so having an extra pair of hands made a difference. It was quite a pain, and we had to wipe off the paste and try a second time. Install the cooler bolts on the back of the mobo, install the mobo in the case, then CPU, then cooler. DONT install the cooler before you put the mobo in the case.

why shouldn't you install the cooler before putting it in the case? a video i watched they did this. i will take your advice but just curious as to why not.

My 1080 FE ran 2088Mhz on core clock during benchmark. I've yet to see a non-FE/ AIB cards matching or superseding this, other than the frankensteined Gamers Nexus liquid cooled 1080.

Knch

Depends on the "huge" CPU cooler. The Hyper 212 is a bit tedious, but none the less very doable. Nothing beats Noctua's mounting though.

Damaging the motherboard shouldn't be a concern if you follow "how to install the CPU" from the manual. (As in, lift lever, place in CPU, close lever (don't remove the plastic cover yourself, this will pop off on it's own.)

JaggedSac

Not difficult. The nuts they gave me in mine were shit though, so I had to bust out a ratchet to tighten properly.

vector824

why shouldn't you install the cooler before putting it in the case? a video i watched they did this. i will take your advice but just curious as to why not.

More support for the mobo, reduces the chance of it breaking because it's mounted inside the case. I'm sure people have had success mounting it outside, but I didn't want to take the risk.

My 1080 FE ran 2088Mhz on core clock during benchmark. I've yet to see a non-FE/ AIB cards matching or superseding this, other than the frankensteined Gamers Nexus liquid cooled 1080.

We're talking about the 1070. Thanks for the input though.

Ok thank you. I was unaware the third party ones were out. I thought it was all the founder's edition. So basically if I can find one just pounce on it.

Welcome!

Going to pick up a 1070 and a new SSD.

I plan to do a clean install. I upgraded win8 for free a few months ago. What do I have to do to do a clean install of Win 10 after changing the SSD and GPU?

Can I use the Win8 serial I own?

I got most of my parts over the weekend and started building but my Phanteks eclipse case has some oil finger print marks on the front of it like as if someone grabbed it before it was done drying.

I couldnt clean it off with rubbing alcohol or windex so not sure what I can do about that if anything.

I would get something else besides the hyper evo 212. It is by far my biggest regret from my last pc build.

It barely handles my heat load but I also have a pretty terrible 6700k for overclocking and my house has a higher temperature than most people. In my case, it just doesn't perform up to my standards in stress tests or video rendering. For games and everyday use, it is just fine.

The mechanism to hold the heatsink is pretty fiddly. It isn't hard or anything, you aren't going to break your computer. It just takes a while to get everything lined up.

Like belkheldar, I'm also putting together my first new gaming rig for 10 years, looking to build in August. Exciting times! It's for Gaming and VR, to play on the Acer Predator XB270HUDbmiprz 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor, with OC possibilities I guess although I've never really tried that before.

Used PCPartPicker UK to come up with the following. Basically used Haz's enthusiast build as the template, and my budget is around £1500

CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
£280.64

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
£26.99

Motherboard
Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
£116.87

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
£75.11

Storage
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
£71.87

Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
£58.75

Video Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card
£571.58

Case
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case
£131.80

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
£78.99

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
£71.90

£1484.50

Does that look decent? I have a few specific questions:

* Vector, you mentioned on belkheldar's rig to drop the 6700 to a 6600 - what's the reasoning on that? Just not necessary if you're not doing media work etc? I vaguely recall reading something about hyperthreading being good in games that use it and it being an i7 thing, is that right? If not, I suppose I could use the money I save from dropping that down on more RAM - would that be more worthwhile?

* Will the parts all come with the necessary cables?

* What do I need to add for ethernet network connectivity, do I need a 'Wired Network Adapter'?

vector824

I would get something else besides the hyper evo 212. It is by far my biggest regret from my last pc build.

It barely handles my heat load but I also have a pretty terrible 6700k for overclocking and my house has a higher temperature than most people. In my case, it just doesn't perform up to my standards in stress tests or video rendering. For games and everyday use, it is just fine.

The mechanism to hold the heatsink is pretty fiddly. It isn't hard or anything, you aren't going to break your computer. It just takes a while to get everything lined up.

He's looking at a 6600k. For me it's a dream. I don't run any higher than 55 deg C even after a 10 minute 100% CPU load. Now take into consideration my case has excellent ventilation, my house stays around 74 deg F.

GAF I think I am ready to built/buy my next gaming PC... the current PC I have is over 8 years old...It's not even worth mentioning.

So this would be my first official gaming PC... I have to admit I am lost, I want something powerful, future proof (1080 or 1070 GTX) I have a budget of $1,600 US.

I live in Canada, but I have relatives in Boston and Jersey, if I can save drastically by getting parts shipped to US. I'd like to go that route, or, to save me some headache, I like to just get them shipped to Canada, with minimal extra cost.

Or.. If I can mix and match, as in order some parts from US online outlets, while others from Canadian, I'd like to do that as well.

May someone please help me get started?

I want a quiet and lo profile case, nothing flashy. I want quality and of course performance.

vector824

Like belkheldar, I'm also putting together my first new gaming rig for 10 years, looking to build in August. Exciting times! It's for Gaming and VR, to play on the Acer Predator XB270HUDbmiprz 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor, with OC possibilities I guess although I've never really tried that before.

* Vector, you mentioned on belkheldar's rig to drop the 6700 to a 6600 - what's the reasoning on that? Just not necessary if you're not doing media work etc? I vaguely recall reading something about hyperthreading being good in games that use it and it being an i7 thing, is that right? If not, I suppose I could use the money I save from dropping that down on more RAM - would that be more worthwhile?

* Will the parts all come with the necessary cables?

* What do I need to add for ethernet network connectivity, do I need a 'Wired Network Adapter'?

The price vs performance. You're getting a 5% bump for a pretty high cost. The RAM speed will actually benefit you more and not all games utilize HTing soI would go for the 6600k. I do media work on my 6600k and its plenty. HTing only nets you about 30 seconds in faster rendering times on 6700k.

All cables are included. The mobo has built in ethernet but if you want wireless you'll have to buy a PCI card adapter.

Your build is pretty solid though. Go for the 7200rpm HDD if you can.

Check out the NZXT s340 if you're not sold on the case you picked

wowzors

Does anyone here have any pointers for overcooked ram on x99? XMP won't boot and manually setting the timings with 1.35V won't work, I'm thinking of trying 1.36-1.38V it I don't know if that will really change anything.

He's looking at a 6600k. For me it's a dream. I don't run any higher than 55 deg C even after a 10 minute 100% CPU load. Now take into consideration my case has excellent ventilation, my house stays around 74 deg F.

I'm running at 4.5ghz with hyper-threading where as you are at 3.85. My house is also at 83F. I ran it at default settings the other day when I turned on my ac to 72F and it ran at 69C under load. So it is fine if you just want to do that.

Also, different tasks can cause different amounts of heat even at 100% cpu utilization. Prime 95 is an example of this.

Like I said, for every day use, it is fine. Gaming and whatnot

Does anyone here have any pointers for overcooked ram on x99? XMP won't boot and manually setting the timings with 1.35V won't work, I'm thinking of trying 1.36-1.38V it I don't know if that will really change anything.

Try lowering the frequency a bit, and if needed, loosening the timings slightly.

vector824

GAF I think I am ready to built/buy my next gaming PC... the current PC I have is over 8 years old...It's not even worth mentioning.

So this would be my first official gaming PC... I have to admit I am lost, I want something powerful, future proof (1080 or 1070 GTX) I have a budget of $1,600 US.

I live in Canada, but I have relatives in Boston and Jersey, if I can save drastically by getting parts shipped to US. I'd like to go that route, or, to save me some headache, I like to just get them shipped to Canada, with minimal extra cost.

Or.. If I can mix and match, as in order some parts from US online outlets, while others from Canadian, I'd like to do that as well.

May someone please help me get started?

I want a quiet and lo profile case, nothing flashy. I want quality and of course performance.

Here's start. It'll be pretty smokey for sure. The 1080 is $700, drop to a 1070 to save some cash and go for a faster SSD. But this gets you under budget for a ludicrous build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($699.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1562.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-27 11:31 EDT-0400

vector824

I'm running at 4.5ghz with hyper-threading where as you are at 3.85. My house is also at 83F. I ran it at default settings the other day when I turned on my ac to 72F and it ran at 69C under load. So it is fine if you just want to do that.

Also, different tasks can cause different amounts of heat even at 100% cpu utilization. Prime 95 is an example of this.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

JaggedSac

Sweet fancy moses, 83F? You in just your underwear all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom