• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Me and my fiancé were looking for a good desktop to do work on and wanted one that could pretty handle anything we throw at it including gaming. Was looking at HP's Envy desktop on their site. Thoughts on this configuration?

CO3vTNy.png

rtcn63

If you're in the US then Newegg has a decent 6GB one for $280 with a $15 rebate dropping it to $265
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...yGOJYgd0wJNKHx6yxTGxNxoCTMTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

With single-fan models, be aware that noise can/will be an issue in 75F+ weather. (I have an SC) Not unbearable, but annoying even after playing with the fan curve.

Also, the 6GB model is preferred, recent games won't even let you use higher textures/etc. with <4GB I think. Plus ignoring the vram, the 1060 3GB is actually more like a 1050ti....ti since it's cut down a bit.

Jafku

Me and my fiancé were looking for a good desktop to do work on and wanted one that could pretty handle anything we throw at it including gaming. Was looking at HP's Envy desktop on their site. Thoughts on this configuration?

How much are you spending on this pc?

this would be a better build but if you don't want to build a pc I understand. That HP is decent as far as specs go. The price however...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcf9HN

So I went out and bought an NH-D15 and an extra Fractal GP14 case fan today, excited to see what my temps're gonna look like once they're installed :D

8 gigs of RAM isn't going to do much for you depending on your work.

Baleoce

I purchased an SSD a couple of years back, lived in bliss for a week, and then my overclock BIOS profile failed. It reverted to factory default settings, so I went into the BIOS to select the overclock profile again. It then wouldn't recognise my OS installation on the SSD, so I gave up and returned it. But after watching a video talking about BIOS features, they seemed to allude to the fact that when overclocks fail, your RAID settings get messed up in the profiles. At least now I know why it was doing it (I assume because it wasn't recognising the SSD as part of the RAID setup, as the PC initially came with 2 HDDs, and this SSD was being added as the third and primary OS drive)&#65279;.

Hopefully that means I can commit to an SSD again now.

Jafku

not bad. If you don't want the hassle of building a pc i'd say go for it. The CPU imo is fine for work but it could be better

well to be fair he can always upgrade that part himself at a later date. not a big deal imo

Yeah, I thought about the RAM and just said I could change that out later. Part of the decision was wondering if I felt like going through building one which led me to take a look at the Omen. Main thing was just making sure if I wanted to run the latest games I would have no issue and so that we could have a powerful desktop to work from home on.

Jafku

Yeah, I thought about the RAM and just said I could change that out later. Part of the decision was wondering if I felt like going through building one which led me to take a look at the Omen. Main thing was just making sure if I wanted to run the latest games I would have no issue and so that we could have a powerful desktop to work from home on.

Yeah. If you don't want to build one i'd say it's a fine choice. My build differs in the better cpu. Ryzen 7 1700. you could get windows for $20 and use the savings towards other items like the memory if you were to build. But that Omen is definitely worth consideration

It may just be cheaper to get more and faster ram separately. That said, it would be good to check if the motherboard that comes with that build lets you have fast ram at 2800mhz and up before you get a pair of 8GB 3200mhz DIMMs to discover that they would only run at 2400mhz in your pc.

kmfdmpig

The one downside of building a PC, I've discovered, is that if you're not careful you'll overdo. With storage, for example, I've done that. I first bought two 250 GB EVO 850s as I got a great deal on them ($59 each). I don't regret that as they were a great deal.
Then I moved a 3TB Red drive from another computer. No regret there as it made sense to do.
I wanted to have a bit more file storage, so I got a 4GB drive on sale. Not a major regret.

Then I decided I wanted something faster and picked up a cheap M.2 WD Black drive, which I somewhat regret as it's not dramatically faster than the EVOs.
Yesterday I picked up a 500 GB Evo 960 on sale, which I don't regret per se, but when I step back and consider that I have 4 SSDs (2 x 250 and 2 x 500) that's fairly dumb. It would have been smarter to get a single TB one instead. No big deal, but a bit smarter planning would have been better in my case.

Marow

Which ASUS 1060 6GB model is the best? There's Dual, Strix and a few others. Supposedly Strix has 3 fans instead of 2. Is that absolutely needed or does it just become extra noise?

bachikarn

Do we know if there is definitively going to be a new Nvidia graphics card this fall? It feels like half the articles I read say something is coming out this Fall, while the other half of articles say it is coming in early 2018.

I mainly want to build a computer for Destiny 2, so it makes sense to wait if a new card is coming. However, if there is no new card coming, I'd be inclined just to do it now as I kind of have an itch to build one haha

FHIZ

So how is the ASUS Strix 1080Ti stock situation? I'm looking around online and most places are out of stock online, and if they have it, it's marked up. Was wondering what the likelihood of maybe walking into a Best Buy and finding one is? I've got a 10% off coupon that would really work well with that, but I do have a month to use it.

bachikarn

So how is the ASUS Strix 1080Ti stock situation? I'm looking around online and most places are out of stock online, and if they have it, it's marked up. Was wondering what the likelihood of maybe walking into a Best Buy and finding one is? I've got a 10% off coupon that would really work well with that, but I do have a month to use it.

What is the non marked up price?

FHIZ

What is the non marked up price?

Pretty sure it's $779. Can't find it for anywhere below like $810 right now. Ideally, I A: don't want to pay a mark-up B: If I could use this 10% BB coupon I got, awesome, and C: ultimately would rather get it from Amazon or BB because I've got rewards credit cards for both.

Steel

Banned
It's out of stock like every site though... I may just hold off if getting one at a decent price isn't feasible right now. Pretty frustrating it's still this bad trying to get graphics cards.

There was a relatively recent mining boom that's dying down that caused the problem.

There was a relatively recent mining boom that's dying down that caused the problem.

But that's been the last couple of years :p

Part of the reason I want to replace is my old card keeps overheating. Is there a way to troubleshoot what is making it overheat or do I just have to get a new GPU?

kmfdmpig

It's out of stock like every site though... I may just hold off if getting one at a decent price isn't feasible right now. Pretty frustrating it's still this bad trying to get graphics cards.

They had stock this morning when I posted the link.

Jet.com has a 1060 6gb, but it's more expensive (even with the 15% coupon):
https://jet.com/product/MSI-GeForce...GDDR5-PCI-Ex/88c27382d6204ba6bdab7a26eed9c5f7

If you can hold off just a few weeks the market might stabilize once the mining boom goes bust.

R aka Bon

I'm asking here again since I didn't get much help last time.

I am looking for the ultimate 1080p experience, where I preferably can run all games on high settings at 60fps as the minimum. Budget isn't of a concern.

And if you happen to live in Denmark, what sites do you recommend checking out?

Steel

Banned
But that's been the last couple of years :p

Part of the reason I want to replace is my old card keeps overheating. Is there a way to troubleshoot what is making it overheat or do I just have to get a new GPU?

You could downclock and lower the voltage till the most recent boom blows over. You could also check if it's under warranty. EVGA does lifetime warranties for example.

You could downclock and lower the voltage till the most recent boom blows over. You could also check if it's under warranty. EVGA does lifetime warranties for example.

I forget what company it is but it's a GTX 570 so I'm not even sure it's worth spending the shipping to send back...

Magwik

Banned

I am looking for the ultimate 1080p experience, where I preferably can run all games on high settings at 60fps as the minimum. Budget isn't of a concern.

Sounds like a 1070 is up your alley

kmfdmpig

If you mean now + next year then a 1070 or even a 1060 6. If you want it to run things on high for the next 3-4 years then maybe a 1080. If budget truly isn't a concern then why not a 1080 ti and you'll be set for several years at 1080p.

Steel

Banned
If you mean now + next year then a 1070 or even a 1060 6. If you want it to run things on high for the next 3-4 years then maybe a 1080. If budget truly isn't a concern then why not a 1080 ti and you'll be set for several years at 1080p.

Eh, a 1070 would have them set until next gen for high/ultra @ 1080p60 at absolute minimum till next gen if not longer.

I forget what company it is but it's a GTX 570 so I'm not even sure it's worth spending the shipping to send back...

I mean, your call. At absolute least the high end of the GPU spectrum should be in stock with the mining boom since it's not good bang for buck for that usecase. I'd expect the 480/580/1060s to be back to normal-ish prices within the next month or so.

plushyp

I committed the cardinal sin of waiting too long and now that I was going to pull the trigger on a new build, the x299 / i7-7740k turned out to be adud. I'm planning to build a gaming PC at 1440p resolution since 4K would be way too expensive to maintain.

I also want to keep things a bit simple so it will be air cooled and want the CPU to be natively powerful enough that I don't have to overclock it. Budget is a bit flexible till upto $2-2.2K. Even with all the interesting builds in the OP, I'm just not able to decide on anything at all! Would appreciate any help since my last PC was built back in 2010 (i7 950) haha...

rtcn63

I committed the cardinal sin of waiting too long and now that I was going to pull the trigger on a new build, the x299 / i7-7740k turned out to be adud. I'm planning to build a gaming PC at 1440p resolution since 4K would be way too expensive to maintain.

I also want to keep things a bit simple so it will be air cooled and want the CPU to be natively powerful enough that I don't have to overclock it. Budget is a bit flexible till upto $2-2.2K. Even with all the interesting builds in the OP, I'm just not able to decide on anything at all! Would appreciate any help since my last PC was built back in 2010 (i7 950) haha...

i7 7700K + Noctua D15 (or similar). No need to overclock for gaming purposes.

kmfdmpig

i7 7700K + Noctua D15 (or similar). No need to overclock for gaming purposes.

This. A good mid-range Z270MB, 16GB RAM, a 1080TI, a decent SSD, and a nice case will still fit your budget easily.

spootime

Personally im waiting for 7800x reviews

Weevilone

I guess I don't follow. Why is the 7740k a dud? I mean the motherboard investment might be a bit steeper, but you get a slightly improved Kaby on a platform with some headroom. Even if you ride it till the bitter end, someday you'd be able to pop a discounted CPU upgrade in there.

rtcn63

I guess I don't follow. Why is the 7740k a dud? I mean the motherboard investment might be a bit steeper, but you get a slightly improved Kaby on a platform with some headroom. Even if you ride it till the bitter end, someday you'd be able to pop a discounted CPU upgrade in there.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2965-intel-i7-7740x-cpu-review-vs-7700k-not-worth-it

Basically- a Z270 mobo and 7700K gets you 99.9% of the way there for cheaper and with fewer restrictions. (For gaming purposes) And Z270's and the 7700K have been on sale pretty frequently, I believe I've seen the latter drop to $300 (or less) in the past month.

Weevilone

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2965-intel-i7-7740x-cpu-review-vs-7700k-not-worth-it

Basically- a Z270 mobo and 7700K gets you 99.9% of the way there for cheaper and with fewer restrictions. (For gaming purposes)

Again, I understand that it's barely any better than the usual Kaby. I'm shocked people didn't expect that.

If I'm buying now, I think about the future and grab the new socket. If someone is content with a one and done, then I suppose save a few bucks. Regardless, that doesn't make it a dud. Now, using shitty thermal interface material like the 7700k sort of makes it a dud in my mind. I can't believe they apparently did that again.

rtcn63

Again, I understand that it's barely any better than the usual Kaby. I'm shocked people didn't expect that.

If I'm buying now, I think about the future and grab the new socket. If someone is content with a one and done, then I suppose safe a few bucks. Regardless, that doesn't make it a dud.

Well there'll always be the successor chipsets to the Z270 et al. We're not even sure yet if Coffee Lake will be compatible with current mobos. (I think)

And with how beast the 7700K is for modern gaming (at least at 60-90fps), it's essentially a one-and-done barring GPU + storage upgrades. By the time you need to do a full mobo + CPU upgrade, well... those few dollars you save today will be worth a lot more performance-wise.

And tech changes. Only recent chipsets support M2 SSD's, IIRC.

kmfdmpig

Now, using shitty thermal interface material like the 7700k has sort makes it a dud in my mind. I can't believe they apparently did that again.

It's such a baffling decision. It's not like TIM is expensive. What are the saving? $0.25 per chip? In exchange their reputation takes a hit among the hardcore, they deal with bad PR (which they then in turn handle poorly) and give AMD more of a window to catch up. It's a baffling decision.
Does anyone suspect that they do it to reduce the potential that people will keep the same CPU for a longer time? I suspect that the 2500/2600 chips lasting well for so long must not have been great for their business, after all.

If I want to achieve a 3.7 GHz overclock on my new and not yet built PC which will have a Ryzen 1700, will the Wraith Spire cooler be OK? What voltage should I start at when stress testing?

kuYuri

Which ASUS 1060 6GB model is the best? There's Dual, Strix and a few others. Supposedly Strix has 3 fans instead of 2. Is that absolutely needed or does it just become extra noise?

The ROG Strix Overclock Edition is typically the highest end model outside of a few instances.

It's been readily in stock at nearby Micro Centers for me, I guess it just depends on where you look.

LilJoka

It's such a baffling decision. It's not like TIM is expensive. What are the saving? $0.25 per chip? In exchange their reputation takes a hit among the hardcore, they deal with bad PR (which they then in turn handle poorly) and give AMD more of a window to catch up. It's a baffling decision.
Does anyone suspect that they do it to reduce the potential that people will keep the same CPU for a longer time? I suspect that the 2500/2600 chips lasting well for so long must not have been great for their business, after all.

Soldering a die so small leads to chances of cracking the die.

Top Bottom