• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

kmfdmpig

Oops, yeah that's what I meant in the edit. Autocorrect got to me. Also, turns out it wasn't working perfectly. Windows said the adapter had stopped working, so all I could do was run the desktop at 1080p again but actual games and stuff just wouldn't use the GPU. I'm confused.

Nothing loose, but I double checked and redid the connections just in case. Still nothing. I tried using my old graphics card and that worked just fine.

Also, booting time was a lot shorter when I used my old graphics card, which...is a thing. No idea.

So what I did was use my old graphics card, boot into safe mode, uninstall all drivers, got the new GPU in again. Got weird error messages, but got through to the desktop this time. Installed drivers. Restarting.

Now, waiting for the longest restart of all time to go through and I'll see how that turns out...

EDIT: Nope. Very, very long booting sequence but no errors. At the same time, GPU is not working. It's listed under Device Manager, but it has that error exclamation mark beside it. "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)" is what I'm getting.

Could it be a power draw issue? I wouldn't think so, but that seems to be one of the problems and would explain the inconsistency of the problem.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...because-it-has-reported-problems(code-43)-for

Hopeford

Could it be a power draw issue? I wouldn't think so, but that seems to be one of the problems and would explain the inconsistency of the problem.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...because-it-has-reported-problems(code-43)-for

Doesn't look like it - whatever the issue used to be, it seems that the driver just isn't installing itself correctly. I'll try running DDU again and installing everything from 0. That might work I think.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the booting time is so ridiculously longer when I have the 1060 plugged in though...hmm...wonder if it's some BIOS fuckery.

On the bright side, this experience has made me more comfortable with opening my PC. It just doesn't seem scary anymore after doing it like 40 times in a day :p

Bloodember

Doesn't look like it - whatever the issue used to be, it seems that the driver just isn't installing itself correctly. I'll try running DDU again and installing everything from 0. That might work I think.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the booting time is so ridiculously longer when I have the 1060 plugged in though...hmm...wonder if it's some BIOS fuckery.

On the bright side, this experience has made me more comfortable with opening my PC. It just doesn't seem scary anymore after doing it like 40 times in a day :p
What is your psu and how old is it? It could be the psu or the gpu is bad. I doubt windows is messing up the install of the driver, unless your Windows install is messed up.

Hopeford

I would say it is his gpu. Just contact the seller and replace it

Thinking I'm gonna have to do that :/ bummed out because I already had to wait like 8 days for it to arrive, but at least it's newegg so they should be reliable in replacing it if it is indeed the issue...

Ok I wouldn't think your psu is bad, but it could be a possibility, if you can try another psu, then we can rule power issues out.

I don't have another PSU to be honest(well, I do but it's a really, really old one that's around 350w. I don't think that would be a good one to test this with). So I don't know how I'd go about ruling out power issues.

Weird, overclockers forum post about the problem ended up with the guy using auto voltage, trying it and it works, made my way from 3300-34-35...-37 now, aida64 temps at 57 (which is odd, cinebench makes the temps shoot up, aida64 it takes a bit to get there)

Gonna try for 3.8 and up but I'm worried about leaving the voltage on auto. It hasn't moved from max 1.206 yet...

*Update: 3.8 auto voltage booted into Windows fine but crashes IMMEDIATELY upon starting cinebench. Gonna try 1.25, then 1.3, hopefully one of those handles 3.8

**Update 2: 3.8 at 1.25 same thing, but at 1.3 we see the same downclock as before on 3.7 at 1.3. Dunno what's causing this and I don't wanna go higher. I am seeing a max of 1.3 volts used on HWIFO64, But the clock speed is a pitiful 1550. No idea what's going on

Also just got the OK to get a new monitor. Still on an R9 390. Was leaning towards 1440p over high refresh rate. Budgets around 250 (max of like 260-270), was eyeing this earlier today

Forgot these were on ebay too, much better prices

Socreges

Banned
Well the all-in-1 is just all those individual drivers in a single package, so, yes just use that.

With respect to BIOS: generally if everything is working, you don't need to bother updating. Occasionally BIOS updates can add features (expanded compatibility for memory, for example) but until you come across the need, just leave the BIOS as is.

Thank you sir

deo

Banned
Can anyone help me with a build that ranges for $500-700 please? Im planning on using it mainly for gaming, but I'd also like to animate in ToonBoom and Photoshop and I know those programs demand a lot from the CPU. Im new to PC building so I dont know where to start

Bloodember

Can anyone help me with a build that ranges for $500-700 please? Im planning on using it mainly for gaming, but I'd also like to animate in ToonBoom and Photoshop and I know those programs demand a lot from the CPU. Im new to PC building so I dont know where to start

Here's a start. But I would wait on Ryzen 3, which launches next month. Should be better for the price. In this build I left money for a keyboard and mouse. The case is just a stand in as that is personal preference. There are places you can get Windows for around $25, if you don't want to go that way, budget in another $100 for a key. You may also want to add a mechanic HDD for extra storage. If you wanted a monitor, then we'll have to go back to the drawing board. $500-700 is pretty low for a gaming machine, if you can get closer to $1000, that may be better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($105.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT - Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $593.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-22 00:39 EDT-0400

Hopeford

To add on to the bizarreness...I've installed the driver manually(after cleaning everythign up. Again.) and it went from unrecognized to having the error 43 code under Device Manager. As it did the last 6 times I tried.

So I ran Geforce Experience and...it wants to install the driver again, as if it wasn't being detected. This shit is weird.

I think if this doesn't work, I might have to contact newegg about a replacement...what's the policy on getting replacements? Like, how do I know for sure that it's the GPU that's the issue and that it's time to contact them?

deo

Banned
Here's a start. But I would wait on Ryzen 3, which launches next month. Should be better for the price. In this build I left money for a keyboard and mouse. The case is just a stand in as that is personal preference. There are places you can get Windows for around $25, if you don't want to go that way, budget in another $100 for a key. You may also want to add a mechanic HDD for extra storage. If you wanted a monitor, then we'll have to go back to the drawing board. $500-700 is pretty low for a gaming machine, if you can get closer to $1000, that may be better.

is an i3 good enough for modern games?

deim0s

To add on to the bizarreness...I've installed the driver manually(after cleaning everythign up. Again.) and it went from unrecognized to having the error 43 code under Device Manager. As it did the last 6 times I tried.

So I ran Geforce Experience and...it wants to install the driver again, as if it wasn't being detected. This shit is weird.

I think if this doesn't work, I might have to contact newegg about a replacement...what's the policy on getting replacements? Like, how do I know for sure that it's the GPU that's the issue and that it's time to contact them?

You'd be better to return the card and get a replacement.

Bloodember

is an i3 good enough for modern games?

Matters what games they are, games that use alot of cpu usage, the i3 could be a bottleneck.

Yeah, sounds like the gpu is bad.

Well I've gone and done it finally, I built a PC for the first time and despite worrying throughout putting it together, it just booted up fine for the first time.

Now to update the BIOS and get Win10 on there, transfer my old files and download some games to put it through some paces.

Gonna overclock it down the line, once I've upgraded my graphics card to something better than a 1050Ti.

Guys, I have an i5 3570 nonK, 8 GB ram and a 970, and VR can work a bit wonkily sometimes.

With around 400-500€ to spare, would you upgrade the GPU to a 1070 or would you upgrade the rest of the parts? What would give me better results VR-wise?

mojiimbo

I was waiting on a deal on a CPU to finish out my build and saw that monoprice had an open box 7700k for $250 shipped. I was actually waiting on a sub $200 deal on a Skylake or Kaby Lake i5 but is this something I should consider? Would a Cryorig H7 be the cooler to go with in that case? And would that clear a Fractal Design C? Thanks for any input.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Guys, I have an i5 3570 nonK, 8 GB ram and a 970, and VR can work a bit wonkily sometimes.

With around 400-500€ to spare, would you upgrade the GPU to a 1070 or would you upgrade the rest of the parts? What would give me better results VR-wise?

a gpu would be better for VR.

8GB RAM is fine. your cpu is of course quite old now and lack of ability to overclock doesn't help but it should be OK i imagine.

i'd upgrade the CPU/RAM and hold off for new nvidia cards but that's just me. a 970 is still a good card and the 1070 is a fantastic upgrade (i have one). i'd just worry that if you stuck a 1070 in your CPU might hold you back. like i said 8GB is OK but i have 16GB and i'm starting to feel that isn't enough as some games can easily use 10GB. I'd have went to 32GB by now if the prices weren't so high.

I was waiting on a deal on a CPU to finish out my build and saw that monoprice had an open box 7700k for $250 shipped. I was actually waiting on a sub $200 deal on a Skylake or Kaby Lake i5 but is this something I should consider? Would a Cryorig H7 be the cooler to go with in that case? And would that clear a Fractal Design C? Thanks for any input.

7700K is a fantastic CPU. arguably the best for gaming right now. the 8700K isn't quite here yet. the 7700K does get quite hot though and a lot of people delid them. as for the cooler i would say you should be fine. i have a Cryorig R1 in my Fractal Design Define S. edit: i just had a look and the Define C has a limit of 170mm height for the CPU cooler. a H7 is 145mm in height.

a gpu would be better for VR.

8GB RAM is fine. your cpu is of course quite old now and lack of ability to overclock doesn't help but it should be OK i imagine.

i'd upgrade the CPU/RAM and hold off for new nvidia cards but that's just me. a 970 is still a good card and the 1070 is a fantastic upgrade (i have one). i'd just worry that if you stuck a 1070 in your CPU might hold you back. like i said 8GB is OK but i have 16GB and i'm starting to feel that isn't enough as some games can easily use 10GB. I'd have went to 32GB by now if the prices weren't so high.

Sounds reasonable, thank you!

Definitely go for a GPU upgrade first, don't worry about bottlenecking it now because when you can upgrade the rest it'll no longer be a problem.

You could have a look for a second hand i7 on the same socket as your i5 for a quick, cheap and substantial CPU upgrade too.

Definitely go for a GPU upgrade first, don't worry about bottlenecking it now because when you can upgrade the rest it'll no longer be a problem.

You could have a look for a second hand i7 on the same socket as your i5 for a quick, cheap and substantial CPU upgrade too.

That was my first thought too, both of you raise strong points. I know I do need a CPU upgrade (so, I do also need a mobo and RAM upgrade) but a GPU upgrade would give me a more immediate result.

I'll give it some more thought, thanks guys

That was my first thought too, both of you raise strong points. I know I do need a CPU upgrade (so, I do also need a mobo and RAM upgrade) but a GPU upgrade would give me a more immediate result.

I'll give it some more thought, thanks guys

Like I said, an i7 on the same socket as your current motherboard would be a good and cheap upgrade and you would save on having to buy DDR4 and a new motherboard.

Depending on the deals you can get right now, you might be able to afford a brand new GPU and a second hand i7.
You'd likely get better minimum frame rates with that making your VR games smoother to play.

Hopeford

You'd be better to return the card and get a replacement.

Yeah, sounds like the gpu is bad.

:( You guys are right. Gonna suck to wait like two more weeks or so until I have a working graphics card, but I have tried every solution under the sun and it's just not working. Assuming there's no weird issue where my motherboard is just flat out incompatible with it (that....that doesn't happen right?) this looks like a bad GPU.

Even trying updating my BIOS but nooope.

Are there usually decent sales on GPUs during Black Friday? Specifically Newegg and Amazon.

Have my eye on the 1070 but if I can get a good deal on a 1080 then I'll go for that most probably!

ElyrionX

I've got a 1070 running on a 2500K and 8GB RAM.

I am thinking of buying a new mobo and processor now and 16GB of RAM and putting the 1070 in the new rig. Is now a good time to be doing this?

Also my SSD is a 7 years old Intel 128GB. Should I use this as an OS drive in the new rig? Or is it bear the end of its life already that I ahouldn't bother?

DieH@rd

Banned
I think it is time for me to move from my old FX8350 setup and onto AM4. I plan to sell my Cpu, mobo and ram, and keep the rest.

What I aim to get:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming
16GB of DDR4, still looking what is compatibile that can be found on my market
and upgrade my GPU to GTX 1070

Will this run OK on my EVGA Supernova 550 G2 550W, both on stock and when CPU goes to 4.0GHz [and probably a bit higher clocks on the GPU]???

Anyone ever use the NZXT G12 bracket? Or even the G10? Trying to install my Corsair H90 pump into the bracket and it sort of just slides on top and sits there relatively loosely. I'm wondering if I should be using some adapter or bracket to attach the pump head more securely to the G12 bracket?

Bloodember

I think it is time for me to move from my old FX8350 setup and onto AM4. I plan to sell my Cpu, mobo and ram, and keep the rest.

What I aim to get:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Will this run OK on my EVGA Supernova 550 G2 550W, both on stock and when CPU goes to 4.0GHz [and probably a bit higher clocks on the GPU]???
Your psu will work fine.

Anyone ever use the NZXT G12 bracket? Or even the G10? Trying to install my Corsair H90 pump into the bracket and it sort of just slides on top and sits there relatively loosely. I'm wondering if I should be using some adapter or bracket to attach the pump head more securely to the G12 bracket?
There should be some screws that you screw it down with after you put it in the g12, do you have the instructions? It shows how to mount it.

There should be some screws that you screw it down with after you put it in the g12, do you have the instructions? It shows how to mount it.

HlAhHJx.jpg

So this is the pump/bracket part I'm talking about. I see how to install the G12 into the GPU, but there aren't any clear instructions or adapters to show how the pump is attached to the G12. Still looking at it all carefully as I'm sure I'm missing something.

Are there usually decent sales on GPUs during Black Friday? Specifically Newegg and Amazon.

Have my eye on the 1070 but if I can get a good deal on a 1080 then I'll go for that most probably!

I have been wondering about too except the 1080 is my floor and I would be looking for a sale one a 1080 Ti.

Bloodember

So this is the pump/bracket part I'm talking about. I see how to install the G12 into the GPU, but there aren't any clear instructions or adapters to show how the pump is attached to the G12. Still looking at it all carefully as I'm sure I'm missing something.
Thats it, just tighten it down with the screws and the aio should tighten down to the gpu die. The aio just spins and locks under those tabs.

L034

First complete PC build here

Built the following PC over the last few months, quite happy with it paired with a 1440p 144hz monitor Iiyama GB2760QSU (not on pcpartpicker yet, approx 500€, but TN). Looking at it straight on the colors look good enough (even coming from a pair of IPS monitors), but the colors wash out quite quickly when viewing it from above or below.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how well it runs DOOM with Vulkan.

The App Center that Gigabyte recommends to handle bios settings is not a pleasant experience though, some apps plain don't open and there is no feedback when opening an app.
I can't edit fan profiles in windows through their fan control app as it doesn't open (and there is no failure message, nothing happens), but the bios interface is good.

First complete PC build here

Built the following PC over the last few months, quite happy with it paired with a 1440p 144hz monitor Iiyama GB2760QSU (not on pcpartpicker yet, approx 500€, but TN). Looking at it straight on the colors look good enough (even coming from a pair of IPS monitors), but the colors wash out quite quickly when viewing it from above or below.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how well it runs DOOM with Vulkan.

The App Center that Gigabyte recommends to handle bios settings is not a pleasant experience though, some apps plain don't open and there is no feedback when opening an app.
I can't edit fan profiles in windows through their fan control app as it doesn't open (and there is no failure message, nothing happens), but the bios interface is good.

Their fan control function is actually SIV, unintuitive as it seems.

To be honest though, the annoying thing I've found is that there's some weird overlap between the APP Center, and GPU & CPU drivers. To some extent that's expected, especially if you use EasyTune, but issues I've had with Nvidia driver updates, or CPU drivers becoming corrupted and choking game performance, were in part resolved by uninstalling the APP center. It might be down to the oddities of my setup - a 6700k in a Z270 board - but after too many times where I've had to reinstall drivers, I decided to drop it, even if it meant system management had to be done the hard way.

I've got a 1070 running on a 2500K and 8GB RAM.

I am thinking of buying a new mobo and processor now and 16GB of RAM and putting the 1070 in the new rig. Is now a good time to be doing this?

Also my SSD is a 7 years old Intel 128GB. Should I use this as an OS drive in the new rig? Or is it bear the end of its life already that I ahouldn't bother?

In terms of the SSD: just check it via the the Intel tool. Chances are it still got like 20 years of life in it. When I replaced my 80GB Intel G2 it still had like 90%+ of it writes left after 5 years (and those are very conservative estimates).

In terms of CPU and mainboard right now is an okay-ish time. Ryzen is pretty damn good, the only kind of wortwhile Intel CPU left is the 7700k (or the G4560 on the low end side). RAM on the other hand is pretty expensive right now, though.
Intel is soonish gonna release 6 core CPUs in the consumer market, which may or may not change the situation. But unless they clock them crazy high, don't expect Ryzen to suddenly look dated.

What I aim to get:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Yes, absolutely. That's a quality PSU and won't have any trouble. Your power draw will probably be lower with that new system anyway (FX8350 >>> Ryzen 5 1600 in terms of power consumption).

DieH@rd

Banned
Yes, absolutely. That's a quality PSU and won't have any trouble. Your power draw will probably be lower with that new system anyway (FX8350 >>> Ryzen 5 1600 in terms of power consumption).

I still don't have 1070. I'm currently on passive Radeon 6450 after I sold my 470X to miners. :)

Having a rough time making a confident pick of ~$300-350 27" 1440p monitors. There's some good stuff, like the BenQ GW2765HT (not crazy about that input lag though), the Acer K272HUL, and the ASUS PB277Q

There's also the some good 25" monitors, like the Acer G257HU. I feel like if I'm gonna go 1440p, I should go for 27"...

Don't need a zillion ports, and I can handle TN, just need one that'll work well (shying away from the Korean models, even though the prices are good)

If I raise my price ceiling to $400 I feel like I'll have a better time going about this... AOC AG271QX seems like a steal at $400, 1440p @ 144hz

mojiimbo

7700K is a fantastic CPU. arguably the best for gaming right now. the 8700K isn't quite here yet. the 7700K does get quite hot though and a lot of people delid them. as for the cooler i would say you should be fine. i have a Cryorig R1 in my Fractal Design Define S. edit: i just had a look and the Define C has a limit of 170mm height for the CPU cooler. a H7 is 145mm in height.
Neat, thanks for the input.

L034

Their fan control function is actually SIV, unintuitive as it seems.

To be honest though, the annoying thing I've found is that there's some weird overlap between the APP Center, and GPU & CPU drivers. To some extent that's expected, especially if you use EasyTune, but issues I've had with Nvidia driver updates, or CPU drivers becoming corrupted and choking game performance, were in part resolved by uninstalling the APP center. It might be down to the oddities of my setup - a 6700k in a Z270 board - but after too many times where I've had to reinstall drivers, I decided to drop it, even if it meant system management had to be done the hard way.

Yeah, SIV is the app that will not launch. I've kept their app but I only use the function that allows to disable fast boot from within windows to boot to the BIOS

Killcaustic68

Neo Member
I'm currently lightly gaming on a laptop with a 670m. Moving into a new house where I'll have room for a proper set up so finally time to build a better desktop. Having a hard time deciding on an intel or amd build. Have done a bit of research and know the gpu and ram markets have risen quite a bit.

Budget: Prefer to stay in the 1000 range but max is 1200
Main Use: Will be games such as PUBG, H1Z1, probably lawbreakers and destiny 2 preferably at 60 fps+ and may dip my toes into streaming
Monitor Resolution: ASUS 23-inch VX238H 1080p will be the current monitor used for the build with a good chance to add a second better monitor if I need something prettier later on.
When will you build?: Would like to build it within the next month or two but would definitely like to have it built before the end of october
Will you be overclocking?: most likely in the future.

bump for new page

Top Bottom