• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

kiaaa

After troubleshooting my computer and RMAing a couple things over the last 2-3 weeks, I finally RMA'd the CPU and everything booted up just fine.

In hindsight, I should've just RMA'd everything and started over when shit didn't want to boot, but I've never gotten a defective CPU before and from what I've read, they're really rare. At least everything runs really smooth now, including PUBG.

LegendX48

I'm on pcpartpicker, looking at GPU options. For the RX 570, the cheapest available-to-buy option is $290, going up to $490. For another point of reference, this review ("Aorus Radeon RX 570 review: The best graphics card you can buy under $200, barely changed") advertises the card as being $180 with a link to buy it. When you click the link, it takes you to a newegg page, where the card is currently $439.04.

Will the release of Vega change anything for the mid-tier enthusiast market's current pricing situation? I was hoping to buy my graphics card for around $200-$250, but the best I can find so far is a GTX 1060 for $270 as part of a sale.

Probably not. If anything, Vega's prices will get inflated as well because of the whole mining garbage.

kiaaa

Not really needed, you would have to be rubbing your motherboard on the carpet for it to happen. Just tocuh some metal to get yourself grounded before using electrical components.

Before you start building, touch your PC case. Just touch it every 10 minutes or so and don't wear socks on carpet and you should be good.

Not that you guys are wrong, but if it's his first time building a PC, he should probably just use one. You can get them for less than $5 anyways.

bomblord1

Banned
Quite possibly final revision of my Ryzen Vega Build barring me finding good deals on parts with similar specs or any glaring issues.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K7 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($167.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Other: Radeon RX Vega 64 ($699.00)
Total: $1578.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-14 08:57 EDT-0400

Just wanted to throw it out one more time for verification (I have an SSD already that I'll be using so ignore the random HDD)

b0bbyJ03

I finally convinced (after years of trying) my cousin to build his first PC. I want to advise him as well as I can. The question I'm struggling with is whether I should have him build soon, or wait for Volta. He plans on buying the top the line so that would be either a 1080ti now, or an 1180 when it releases. Also, I've read that Coffee Lake will be the first consumer grade line that Intel releases with 6 cores (less concerned with CPU). Have there been any rumors at all about Volta release time frames? If he has to wait more than 6 months then I'd probably just have him build now. Opinions?

Finaika

I finally convinced (after years of trying) my cousin to build his first PC. I want to advise him as well as I can. The question I'm struggling with is whether I should have him build soon, or wait for Volta. He plans on buying the top the line so that would be either a 1080ti now, or an 1180 when it releases. Also, I've read that Coffee Lake will be the first consumer grade line that Intel releases with 6 cores (less concerned with CPU). Have there been any rumors at all about Volta release time frames? If he has to wait more than 6 months then I'd probably just have him build now. Opinions?

Volta will probably come out early next year.

-Stranger-

Okay thanks for that.

It is my first build.
The part I'm most nervous about is the cpu and putting on thermal paste for the cpu cooling.
Not planning on an after market cpu fan at this stage.
Also sounds silly but worried ill wire up the power supply wrong lol

Not that you guys are wrong, but if it's his first time building a PC, he should probably just use one. You can get them for less than $5 anyways.

It's a fair point, that they're so cheap he might as well get one, but I've honestly never heard of anyone with modern-day components destroying their components via electrostatic discharge. It seems like a boogeyman at this point.

Okay thanks for that.

It is my first build.
The part I'm most nervous about is the cpu and putting on thermal paste for the cpu cooling.

If you buy a CPU that includes a stock cooler, there will already be thermal paste applied to the cooler itself. You won't need to apply any on your own, assuming you don't smudge off the pre-applied thermal paste.

Just go very slowly when putting it together, take your time, enjoy yourself, and watch/read build guides online for each step if you have even a slight amount of hesitation. There's no reason to stress out, but just go slowly and you should be just fine.

-Stranger-

It's a fair point, that they're so cheap he might as well get one, but I've honestly never heard of anyone with modern-day components destroying their components via electrostatic discharge. It seems like a boogeyman at this point.

If you buy a CPU that includes a stock cooler, there will already be thermal paste applied to the cooler itself. You won't need to apply any on your own, assuming you don't smudge off the pre-applied thermal paste.

Just go very slowly when putting it together, take your time, enjoy yourself, and watch/read build guides online for each step if you have even a slight amount of hesitation. There's no reason to stress out, but just go slowly and you should be just fine.

Yeah cheers when i have everything here in front me im sure ill be fine.
My brother is an electronics and computer whizz.
However i want to build without his help uf possible.

This is the cpu i suspect it has a stock cooler with it.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...-g4560-35ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80677g4560

Wozzer

Put together a new Ryzen build on the weekend but have unfortunately been encountering constant BSOD crashes, often only minutes after having boooted into Windows.

My build is; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HmF4bj
BIOS screens; http://imgur.com/a/YAzrO

I have attempted;
  • Reseating all components,
  • Removing all optional drives (leaving m.2),
  • Updating all drivers to latest,
  • Updating Bios to latest,
  • Formatting and reinstalling Windows fresh,

Even with the above, on a fresh clean install with latest manufacturer drivers I'm seeing the same behaviour. The machine will noticeably hitch, frequently noticeable when playing a game for example, and eventually freeze into a reboot or BSOD.

I'd consider the GPU a culprit, but it's the one component I kept from my past build and has always been completely stable.

Most probable culprit seems to be RAM, especially since Ryzen is known to be sensitive and it's not a kit on the boards QoL (though before buying I've seen others have success). Aware the RAM is known to have corruption issues, but haven't seen and aren't using RGB software.

Failing that it could be a motherboard/PSU issue, which I'm hoping not.

Considered next steps;
  • Manually clock the RAM, particularly raising voltage (advice here appreciated, see BIOS screens above),
  • Try to stress test with single RAM (s) inserted,
  • Run another mem check (last one was error free at 95%, then froze on the reboot so I missed the results, and took several hours -_-),
  • Try my prior build PSU,
  • Cry into a pillow and return parts (whilst I can)

Anyone faced similar issues or have any possible solutions I'm not currently considering? (Post also shared AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act thread, as might be Ryzen specific)

3x0

Neo Member
Put together a new Ryzen build on the weekend but have unfortunately been encountering constant BSOD crashes, often only minutes after having boooted into Windows.

Download bluescreenview from nirsoft and post the exact BSOD info (not the generic MEMORY_MANAGEMENT etc.) with the parameters.

So I put together a Ryzen 1600 build and mildly overclocked it to 3.7 with voltage at 1.3. I ran the standard stability tests like Prime95 and Cinebench and everything works fine. After I was satisfied, I unplugged the computer and moved it next to my TV to test out 4k gaming. When I booted it up, it turned on and then turned off 2 or 3 times and then went to the windows login screen. I logged in and my overclock was gone. I set the overclock back and did more tests, still stable. Played games for the day and then moved the computer back to the office. The same thing happens. So it seems I have no boot issues normally, but whenever I unplug the power supply and then plug it back in the motherboard can't boot normally and then resets the overclock. Any ideas on some setting I need to change?

see5harp

The 560 Ti should be fine for that. If you're looking at playing games from 2008 or earlier, you'll be using a mid-range card that came out in 2011. I'd be surprised if it can't handle almost everything except for maybe Crysis-type of games at near 60 FPS 1080p.

The absolute worst case, if things aren't running as well as you'd like, is that you could pick up a 1050 Ti for ~$150 or a used GPU from last generation for about $100.

To be honest if that's all he wants to do, he could use the damn integrated graphics and probably get away with it.

I have attempted;

Install BlueScreenView and analyze the recent dumps; it'll tell you what most likely caused the crashes.

BIOS settings to default. 1 stick of RAM that's passed memtest.

Boot up and get Task Manager and CPU, GPU monitoring software up as soon as you log in and watch for usage %, temps, any odd behavior while you run a game in Windowed mode or something.

Here's the latest memdump; http://i.imgur.com/TAlEYUB.png. Caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe

Likely not actually ntoskrnl.exe but a driver that brought it down. It ends up getting the blame though.

Since you've done fresh install and updated drivers, focus on hardware. Put your RAM through full tests (try different memory if you have it) as that is often the culprit.

If you have on-board graphics try booting up with those instead of GPU.

I have attempted;

Even with the above, on a fresh clean install with latest manufacturer drivers I'm seeing the same behaviour. The machine will noticeably hitch, frequently noticeable when playing a game for example, and eventually freeze into a reboot or BSOD.

I'd consider the GPU a culprit, but it's the one component I kept from my past build and has always been completely stable.

Most probable culprit seems to be RAM, especially since Ryzen is known to be sensitive and it's not a kit on the boards QoL (though before buying I've seen others have success). Aware the RAM is known to have corruption issues, but haven't seen and aren't using RGB software.

Considered next steps;
  • Manually clock the RAM, particularly raising voltage (advice here appreciated, see BIOS screens above),
  • Run another mem check (last one was error free at 95%, then froze on the reboot so I missed the results, and took several hours -_-),

Anyone faced similar issues or have any possible solutions I'm not currently considering? (Post also shared AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act thread, as might be Ryzen specific)

my biosd looks exactly the same is yours. I have a b350 F gaming from ASUS.

I have the 3200 trident RGB version .

AS of today, I am able to reach the speed of 3066 just fine. there is not tweaking. The only thing you need to do is change to DOCP and pick the 3066 speed. the voltage will be increased automatically to 1.3. Everything else I left the same. Basically just change DOCP and pick 3066, should work
also, make sure you are using the correct ram slots for 2 sticks. check the mobo manual

Ok, so then: Are you plugging the headset into a port of the PC-case or into the back of the PC directly into the motherboard?

Realtek is an audio-driver first, sometimes it comes with its own settings-app but not always. Usually you don't need it for something like this anyway, the Windows settings-apps (for example Control Panel -> Sounds) are enough.
This should be what you are looking at:

Into a port and not the back since then it wouldnt reach me...

Connecting To the headphone jack on the USB Speakers is easiest but it wont get recognized

Maybe I should buy an extender

Anyway for my usb speakers to work as both headphones and mic?

Condom

So I put together a Ryzen 1600 build and mildly overclocked it to 3.7 with voltage at 1.3. I ran the standard stability tests like Prime95 and Cinebench and everything works fine. After I was satisfied, I unplugged the computer and moved it next to my TV to test out 4k gaming. When I booted it up, it turned on and then turned off 2 or 3 times and then went to the windows login screen. I logged in and my overclock was gone. I set the overclock back and did more tests, still stable. Played games for the day and then moved the computer back to the office. The same thing happens. So it seems I have no boot issues normally, but whenever I unplug the power supply and then plug it back in the motherboard can't boot normally and then resets the overclock. Any ideas on some setting I need to change?

That's your motherboard not remembering the BIOS settings and wanting to reset. I have it too with my board (Gigabyte). I think you can RMA to get it fixed if you want.

EDIT: whoops

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's the general feeling when it comes to the timing of Nvidia's next refresh?

Despite having a FreeSync monitor, I'm almost ready to give up on the new Vega 64 cards and just plop down the cash for a 1080 Ti (Strix?) right now, but I've also heard rumors of a refresh coming fairly soon (within the next half year).

Do we know what to expect from it? Will it be another 1080 situation where the performance will beat that last gen's Ti model? I'm kind of torn, because while the 1080 Ti is a beast of a card, it does look like it struggles to hit 60 fps at 4K in a decent number of games.

What's the general feeling when it comes to the timing of Nvidia's next refresh?

Despite having a FreeSync monitor, I'm almost ready to give up on the new Vega 64 cards and just plop down the cash for a 1080 Ti (Strix?) right now, but I've also heard rumors of a refresh coming fairly soon (within the next half year).

Do we know what to expect from it? Will it be another 1080 situation where the performance will beat that last gen's Ti model? I'm kind of torn, because while the 1080 Ti is a beast of a card, it does look like it struggles to hit 60 fps at 4K in a decent number of games.

If you really want solid 4K gaming and you are willing to buy the top of the line card, I'd suggest you wait for the next generation/refresh. Your thoughts on the 1080 Ti are basically correct; it's good for 4K, but still not to the point where I'd buy it for that purpose. I do love it on my 1440p/140Hz setup, however.

Frostman

my biosd looks exactly the same is yours. I have a b350 F gaming from ASUS.

I have the 3200 trident RGB version .

AS of today, I am able to reach the speed of 3066 just fine. there is not tweaking. The only thing you need to do is change to DOCP and pick the 3066 speed. the voltage will be increased automatically to 1.3. Everything else I left the same. Basically just change DOCP and pick 3066, should work
also, make sure you are using the correct ram slots for 2 sticks. check the mobo manual

How's your Mb for overclocking?

SourBear

Banned
I'm using an Nvidia 980 GTX. I have a ultra-wide free sync monitor. I'm looking for a reason to even side-grade just to get the free sync capabilities but not for $400. I don't suppose there is anything out there or is it all super inflated still because of mining?

I'm using an Nvidia 980 GTX. I have a ultra-wide free sync monitor. I'm looking for a reason to even side-grade just to get the free sync capabilities but not for $400. I don't suppose there is anything out there or is it all super inflated still because of mining?

Your only option that would be remotely comparable while gaining freesync is that RX Vega 56, which yes, is going to be $400 if you can buy it at the MSRP. Anything below that - even without accounting for mining inflation, which yes is still in play - won't match performance wise.

...Well, new anyway. Maybe an R9 Fury X if you can find one at a decent price? Not sure how it would match for performance though.

I don't know about a "decent" number. You're talking about like Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, that Deus Ex game, maybe a couple of others.

I want to stress this again though: games continue to become more complex. Even when the 11-series comes out, there may already be games out, or released soon after, that the card will not maintain 4K/60 at max settings.

I just feel like people are setting themselves up for disappointment every time they talk about a card being "true 4K/60." Cards come out and hardware is fixed; other than some performance improvements from drivers or game updates, it's relatively static. Games continue to get pushed and require more and more resources. Even if you do buy a card that plays everything currently released at 4K/60, it likely won't last as long as you think.

At resolutions that high, SLI of two flagship cards is your best bet and then you have to put up with all the bullshit SLI brings, not to mention the cost.

RS4-

Since you are into airflow cases, can also check out Silverstone RL06 which is Gamers Nexus' airflow champion.

That was another case I was considering. But at the time, I was close to buying a Phanteks Evolv TG a few times, but decided to stick with my current Enthoo Luxe.

And then a few months go by, and the h500p is announced, and it looks like a decent change.

I would totally buy an FT02 again if Silverstone decided to update it.

Okay thanks for that.

It is my first build.

I felt exactly the same when I built mine. i stressed for 20 minutes just make sure I put the CPU in correctly haha.
I say don't worry about it, but it's hard not to stress when handling expensive parts yourself, just trust in yourself that'll you do everything correctly and it'll all be fine.

I'd reccomend watching some tutorials/guides on youtube if at any point you feel unsure about something.

FireCloud

I have attempted;

Considered next steps;

Have you been able to apply the latest Windows updates?

When I first installed Windows 10 from the DVD on my new Ryzen 1700 system it was very unstable. It would often lock up or BSOD after a couple of minutes.

It took me several re-installs but I was finally able to get Windows 10 installed and updated to build 1703 without it freezing up on me. Since then I've been pretty stable. After installing the updates and all of the latest drivers, I made sure to create an image backup of my OS drive (SSD) and a recovery boot DVD.

I've been messing around with doing some overclocking. (something I'm very new to) I found I was able to OC the CPU from 3.0 GHz to 3.8 GHz and the memory from DDR4 2400 to 2933. While it seemed to take the overclock, I found that running handbrake would cause it to BSOD pretty regularly. I've since backed the CPU speed down to 3.75 GHz and the memory back to 2400 and things have been much better.

If you haven't applied the latest Windows updates, I'd suggest trying to do that first. Then update all of your drivers and BIOS to the latest levels. If you've applied any sort of overclock try backing everything back down the the BIOS optimized defaults and see if that helps.

Risette

A Good Citizen
how do RGB case fans work? I was looking at them at Frys today and they seem confusing as fuck. I need some controller and then another controller to control them by software, which I don't really understand... what are the RGB headers on my mobo for?

Smokey

My Strix 1080ti just arrived. Hyped guys. Finally going to have a pc again. Lol.

Love the Strix cards. Have had a 1070 and now 1060 variant. Great cards, enjoy.

That was another case I was considering. But at the time, I was close to buying a Phanteks Evolv TG a few times, but decided to stick with my current Enthoo Luxe.

And then a few months go by, and the h500p is announced, and it looks like a decent change.

I would totally buy an FT02 again if Silverstone decided to update it.

The first case I ever built in. It was great but quickly became obsolete and it's a shame Silverstone had no interest in updating it.

13046961574_c342a756a2_z.jpg

Ok so i am about to start purchasing soon.

Final thoughts on this as a first budget gaming pc?

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dfmPr7

(A fellow gaffer actually recomended these parts and i like them)

The case is quite small hopefully i can manage cables okay.

All looks okay, the GTX 1050Ti is great card though shouldn't it be less than $200 dollars? It's usually around £150 or less here. If yyou were in the UK I would've sold you mine for £100 haha.

Might wanna go for one 8Gb stick instead of two 4Gb sticks of RAM incase you want to upgrade to 16Gb down the line, though saying that, I got 2x4Gb in my build and i'm pretty happy with staying on that much.

MRORANGE

You could go quad core with ryzen that can OC as well, dual core in this day and age is not a good idea even for a budget PC

I made some changes, it came to an extra $64 well worth the extra money in the long run.

vRjk8M7.png

Looks like that add on network card that came with the X399 zenith is dead. Can't return to microcenter as they have no stock and asus wants me to send everything back to them motherboard and all.

Damn it!

Regarding cable management, do yourself a favor and buy a pack of 6" black zip ties, like these. They'll be super helpful and you'll have plenty left over for any future PC builds.

The first case I ever built in. It was great but quickly became obsolete and it's a shame Silverstone had no interest in updating it.

13046961574_c342a756a2_z.jpg
I feel like the price, optimization for blower GPU coolers, and rise of cube cases killed this sort of design. It's a super cool design, but it's not worth $200+, dealing with blower coolers, and the headaches with spacing parts in certain areas.

Top Bottom