• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Thanks guys! That's reassuring, can't wait for everything to arrive. I will definitely look into OC'ing. Do you think the 212 evo heatsink can handle the OC, or I should looking into another cooling solution like liquid cooling?

It should handle a mild overclock. If you're going for an upper tier overclock (and, to be honest, I'm not sure exactly where the upper end is for that CPU), you might need something beefier.

My advice is to 1) run your system without an overclock with the new parts installed and see how things feel, 2) if it's not snappy enough, look into setting up a mild-to-moderate overclock and monitor temps, and 3) if that's still not enough, go for a larger overclock and look into a better heatsink.

Canklestank

Neo Member
I'm putting a new 1 TB SSD in my PC today and have a question. Here's my current setup:

1) 240 GB SSD (boot drive; won't be touching this)
2) 2.5 TB HDD (currently empty)
3) 500 GB HDD (I will replace this with the 1 TB SSD)

I will replace the 500 GB HDD with my 1 TB SSD. I want to copy the files (music mainly) and software (a few games and productivity software) to my new SSD. But, I don't want to deal with running another power/SATA cable, so I plan to move all the files from the 500 GB HDD to my 2.5 TB HDD, remove the 500 GB HDD, then install the 1 TB SSD and copy the files from the 2.5 TB HDD to the new 1 TB SSD.

Moving the music files will be very easy, but I'm wondering if there's any tricks or software I need to use to successfully copy the software without somehow breaking the software. Trying to avoid the need to reinstall 5-10 individual software if I can help it. Is it as simple as drag and drop?

Any suggestions?

Hey, so I used Macrium Reflect and it copied everything over beautifully using the disk imaging option. However, I just realized that it only allocated as much space on my new 1 TB SSD as I had available on my old 500 GB HDD (~500 GB). The remaining ~500 GB of my SSD is now not showing up.

I see it is simply not allocated in Disk Management. Is there a way I can easily re-allocate it to the current 500 GB partition so that they're combined without losing everything I already cloned over? Or a way to re-clone my old disk image, but have it make the entire 1 TB of space allocated? I don't mind re-doing the process, but just want all 1 TB on one partition with my old data also cloned into that 1 TB of space.

EDIT: Away from my PC right now, but it looks like I can go to Disk Management and right-click the existing partition and click "Extend Volume" to basically absorb the currently unallocated 500 GB portion of my 1 TB drive, or so Google tells me. I'll try this later.

Yeah, extending the volume would be my suggestion. It's been a while since I've done what you're doing.

If Windows won't let you, you might have to try again. There's an option to increase the size of the partition when you're directly cloning from one drive to another, so check and see if you can do that in the restore options. If you can't do that, it's probably something you do during the cloning process.

Here's a guide I found that might help:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect

Yeah, extending the volume would be my suggestion. It's been a while since I've done what you're doing.

If Windows won't let you, you might have to try again. There's an option to increase the size of the partition when you're directly cloning from one drive to another, so check and see if you can do that in the restore options. If you can't do that, it's probably something you do during the cloning process.

Here's a guide I found that might help:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect

Thanks for the follow-up. Actually, I got it to work late last night with about 30 seconds of work. For those wondering how in Windows 10:

1) Right click the Start button and choose Disk Management
2) Right click on the partition you want to extend; the part you want to extend into needs to be adjacent, apparently.
3) Select "Extend Volume..." and follow the options.

It extended it in literally one second. It was very easy and now my drive is exactly as I wanted it. The Macrium Reflect disk image creator/loading worked super well too.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Thanks for the follow-up. Actually, I got it to work late last night with about 30 seconds of work. For those wondering how in Windows 10:

1) Right click the Start button and choose Disk Management
2) Right click on the partition you want to extend; the part you want to extend into needs to be adjacent, apparently.
3) Select "Extend Volume..." and follow the options.

It extended it in literally one second. It was very easy and now my drive is exactly as I wanted it. The Macrium Reflect disk image creator/loading worked super well too.

Cool, I figured that would work. Glad you didn't have to redo anything because of my foggy memory haha.

appaws

Banned
First water cooled loop ever is currently bleeding air from the system. No leaks detected thus far. I'll let it continue to run over night and if it's good before I go to work I'll finish the build tomorrow. I was pretty nervous putting the loop together and flipping the switch.

Awesome, congrats! You are part of the true elite now!

Yo!

500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCI-E SSD on sale for $219 on Newegg and you can get another $5 off with promo code EMCRJCD23.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...mc=EMC-GD082317-_-landing-_-Item-_-20-147-594

That's a great fucking price.

First water cooled loop ever is currently bleeding air from the system. No leaks detected thus far. I'll let it continue to run over night and if it's good before I go to work I'll finish the build tomorrow. I was pretty nervous putting the loop together and flipping the switch.

Welcome to water! It's the best.

Jabronium

Yo!

500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCI-E SSD on sale for $219 on Newegg and you can get another $5 off with promo code EMCRJCD23.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...mc=EMC-GD082317-_-landing-_-Item-_-20-147-594

Saw that this morning. Going to check Microcenter when I get home and see if they've got a sale in store for that model. Probably going to grab my CPU and mobo this weekend and just ordered my 1080ti. After this weekend all I'll need is the case. Planning to wait for the Lian Li alpha cases to hit the stores but IDK if I'll have the patience with everything else staring me in the face.

Ladekabel

So, I'm likely getting these parts later to make myself a little bit more future proof.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yWkkM8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yWkkM8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.43 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($145.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.93 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $552.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-23 13:13 EDT-0400

Took inspirations from people in this thread.

Will be using the SSD and 970 that are in my current computer. Plan to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080 next year if prices come down.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

So I need a graphics card, I can wait up to a year, wanted to know now that Vega is underwhelming should I buy now? The ETC hype/price inflation is the only thing making me hesitant with buying one, as I said I'm not in a rush to buy one since i mainly game on my PS4 and only use my pc for older games & FFXIV. However, I've built up a backlog which I want to go through so I was considering buying another graphics card since i returned my older one. Currently looking at a rx 580 for £222 , don't want to spend more than £280 so Vega cards aren't in my budget.
My processor is a i5-4670k,8gb ram,256gb ssd w/1tb HDD with a gigabyte z87 hd3 motherboard. I game at 1080p with a dual monitor setup.

rezn0r

Saw that this morning. Going to check Microcenter when I get home and see if they've got a sale in store for that model. Probably going to grab my CPU and mobo this weekend and just ordered my 1080ti. After this weekend all I'll need is the case. Planning to wait for the Lian Li alpha cases to hit the stores but IDK if I'll have the patience with everything else staring me in the face.

Reddit's (/r/buildapcsales) saying Microcenter has it for $190 in-store

Condom

I have finished installing the new Fractal Meshify C, if anyone has any questions about it be free to ask.

First impressions are: Really nice form factor, small but plenty of room. Glorious cable management, it was a breeze to create my cleanest build yet.

I have finished installing the new Fractal Meshify C, if anyone has any questions about it be free to ask.

First impressions are: Really nice form factor, small but plenty of room. Glorious cable management, it was a breeze to create my cleanest build yet.

Considering moving my PC to this case, the older one is a bit restrictive and the amount of airflow in the Meshify C seems amazing.

kuYuri

So, I'm likely getting these parts later to make myself a little bit more future proof.

Took inspirations from people in this thread.

Will be using the SSD and 970 that are in my current computer. Plan to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080 next year if prices come down.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Looks good to me, maybe throw in a 1TB hard drive minimum if you plan on playing a decent amount of games or media storage.

So I need a graphics card, I can wait up to a year, wanted to know now that Vega is underwhelming should I buy now? The ETC hype/price inflation is the only thing making me hesitant with buying one, as I said I'm not in a rush to buy one since i mainly game on my PS4 and only use my pc for older games & FFXIV. However, I've built up a backlog which I want to go through so I was considering buying another graphics card since i returned my older one. Currently looking at a rx 580 for £222 , don't want to spend more than £280 so Vega cards aren't in my budget.
My processor is a i5-4670k,8gb ram,256gb ssd w/1tb HDD with a gigabyte z87 hd3 motherboard. I game at 1080p with a dual monitor setup.

RX 580 is a better fit for your build than RX Vega if you're only playing older games and FFXIV at 1080p.

RX 580 is a better fit for your build than RX Vega if you're only playing older games and FFXIV at 1080p.

Yeah, the most recent game I have is Forza Horizons 3, but I bought that for my little brother who now plays it on the xbox i bought. I figured I should be fine to play on medium-high at 1080p with it for the games releasing in the next 2-3 years.

Is the etc hype dying down yet?

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I've been on the same build since 2011, the only part I've upgraded in that time is my graphics card, which I've upgraded from a GTX 480, to a GTX 580, and then to a GTX 980. Also I replaced a dying PSU, but that doesn't really count as an upgrade.

I think it's about time I did a new build, and I'm holding off till around BF. I can't wait!

I did some preliminary, no research, parting out for just a tower, and hit about $2,300...

JimPanzer

Any recommendations for a monitor for around 100-150€ (~110 - 160$ I guess)? Will use it for gaming via PS4 Pro (mainly RPG's), light office work and light movie watching. The ones recommended on the first page aren't sold anymore at german Amazon.

How do you feel about this case? I have the r5 and I'm wondering if it's worth switching?

Anybody have any thoughts on this monitor for gaming/browsing? I have been looking to switch to an ultra wide monitor for some time now and the price is really good on it. I have a GTX 1080 which I know is more than enough power. I can't afford the 3440 x 1440 monitors and as far as a monitor upgrade goes I was either looking at a 2560 x 1080 ultra wide or getting that 27" Dell G-Sync monitor if it goes low enough, but the UW factor is calling to me. I mainly play FPS games, League of Legends, and currently Battlegrounds.
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product...e=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=4485850

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Need a bit of help here, running a secondary drive, a Seagate 3tb drive on a H97 Performance (in UEFI mode) but both the bios and OS only see 2tb of space, I put up with it for a while until I could get another drive to back up my data off of it, but now that I have done so, I still cannot get either the bios or windows to see beyond that 2gb marker. I'm using Win10-64 btw. Low level format of the drive didn't help either. >.<

Need a bit of help here, running a secondary drive, a Seagate 3tb drive on a H97 Performance (in UEFI mode) but both the bios and OS only see 2tb of space, I put up with it for a while until I could get another drive to back up my data off of it, but now that I have done so, I still cannot get either the bios or windows to see beyond that 2gb marker. I'm using Win10-64 btw.

What do you see if you look at the drive in Windows 10's Disk Management? Do you see unallocated space, or it just literally only shows 2 TB of space.

Condom

How do you feel about this case? I have the r5 and I'm wondering if it's worth switching?

Well my previous case was the R3 and the first thing I noticed is that it's a lot more compact and much lighter.

The case really feels like it was build for 2017. Easy SSD storage behind the mobo, 2 HDD trays tucked away as well next to the PSU shroud, cable management holes on perfect locations and easy hooks to secure them on. This leaves the main 'chamber' empty from
clutter, which in combination with the compactness means you can physically feel the air flowing through your case.

The build quality makes it a steal for &#8364;89,-

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
What do you see if you look at the drive in Windows 10's Disk Management? Do you see unallocated space, or it just literally only shows 2 TB of space.

2TB and no more. Shows the same in the bios & seagate diagnostics as well.

It's an ST3000DM008-2DM166 if that helps any. It IS running as a GPT by the way.

nashman

What max temp do you guys run your cards at?

I have a Asus turbo gtx 1080 I'm limiting it to 82 degrees via MSI afterburner. At 1440p Doom and PUBG max the temp constantly. Is 82 fine for prolonged gaming sessions?

I'm too noob to run a custom fan curve at this point but may try in the future when I'm less noob.

I have a Asus turbo gtx 1080 I'm limiting it to 82 degrees via MSI afterburner. At 1440p Doom and PUBG max the temp constantly. Is 82 fine for prolonged gaming sessions?

I'm too noob to run a custom fan curve at this point but may try in the future when I'm less noob.

I'm not familiar with the card, but for an ASUS I don't think it should be running that hot?
I've got a EVGA SC2 ICX, I've never seen it go over 75c, my max temp is 83c and I do have a custom fan curve set up (which is really easy to do btw).

ISee

That's a blower card, right? 82°C is pretty normal on that and in no way dangerous, your card may be reducing it's clock speed though to be able to stay in the 82°C range (thermal throttling). Setting a costum fan curve is pretty easy with MSI afterburner. Just click on the cogwheel, then click on the fan tab and activate the "Enable user defined software..." option. Now you can set your own fan curve.

As you are asking about Temperatures. I'm getting ~65°C on my Asus Strix 1080 8G. But as already said, a blower card like yours will run hotter in general. On the positive side, it is blowing hot air out of your case. Which is important for certain builds and setups.

So my friend hasn't built a computer before and I'm still learning all the new stuff that's out, but she has narrowed it down to these two:

(the monitor ect will be needed on both)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qB7Vpb

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yndZYr

Im leaning towards the second build, but swapping the CPU, GPU and RAM (not used to AMD and I think the 1070 will be fine). Also I'm not familiar to Liquid Cooling so I'd probably just get her a regular air CPU cooler.

I'm running into big VRAM issues in the games I love to play these days with mods (Skyrim, Fallout 4) and notice that my GTX 970 is still bottlenecking my i7 2600 and my 16gb 1600mhz RAM in all my games even at 1080p. I want to try and wait another year before building a new PC, so I'm considering upgrading to a GTX 1070 to keep me going.

My motherboard is an ASUS P8P67 Pro. Will that support a GTX 1070? I assume it will, but it's so old now I feel I should make sure before spending hundreds...

kuYuri

So my friend hasn't built a computer before and I'm still learning all the new stuff that's out, but she has narrowed it down to these two:

(the monitor ect will be needed on both)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qB7Vpb

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yndZYr

Im leaning towards the second build, but swapping the CPU, GPU and RAM (not used to AMD and I think the 1070 will be fine). Also I'm not familiar to Liquid Cooling so I'd probably just get her a regular air CPU cooler.

The Ryzen build as I see it is better if only because the 1080 is much better than a 1070 and is only slightly more expensive than the Intel build.

I'm running into big VRAM issues in the games I love to play these days with mods (Skyrim, Fallout 4) and notice that my GTX 970 is still bottlenecking my i7 2600 and my 16gb 1600mhz RAM in all my games even at 1080p. I want to try and wait another year before building a new PC, so I'm considering upgrading to a GTX 1070 to keep me going.

My motherboard is an ASUS P8P67 Pro. Will that support a GTX 1070? I assume it will, but it's so old now I feel I should make sure before spending hundreds...

Yes, the motherboard supports the 1070. Look into overclocking the CPU if you haven't already.

EDIT: Oops, thought the CPU was a K version for some reason.

Gojeran

Still have some finishing touches to do but currently running unigine valley 1440P 8xAA ultra settings on my EK water block cooled nvidia founders edition 1080Ti. Core is +160 and memory is +500 which gives a boost clock of 2050. Its only been 5 mins but so far it's stable, silent, and running at a frosty 36C.

Edit:
https://youtu.be/nw_VG1ALqOs
Quick video of the build and running Unigine Valley.

kuYuri

You can't overclock an i7 2600. If it's the 2600k it can be overclocked, however.

Oops, I read that as the K version of the 2600 for some reason, ignore the overclock advice. >>

Hmmmm, ok good advice. Thank you!

What about this for her?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rFtx3F

(not sure about the liquid cooler... and monitor isnt great.)

That liquid cooler is fine, I have no real experience with liquid cooling so I can't really say much more than that.

Is your friend looking for a budget 4K monitor or something? Is it being used mostly for gaming? That Acer looks fine, I do like IPS and it is a good price for an IPS monitor. You can also try something like these:

TN panel (Lower response time for gaming, but colors aren't as good. Also has Freesync, but Freesync can't be used with an Nvidia card.)
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing...-with-high-glossy-black-finish-lu28e590ds-za/

IPS Panel (Better colors and viewing angles, slightly slower response times. Better overall for productivity.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC9HFO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well my previous case was the R3 and the first thing I noticed is that it's a lot more compact and much lighter.

The case really feels like it was build for 2017. Easy SSD storage behind the mobo, 2 HDD trays tucked away as well next to the PSU shroud, cable management holes on perfect locations and easy hooks to secure them on. This leaves the main 'chamber' empty from
clutter, which in combination with the compactness means you can physically feel the air flowing through your case.

The build quality makes it a steal for €89,-

I'm already liking the sound of that. What about in terms of noise coming from within the case?

nashman

I'm doing a custom fan curve now because I'm running at 85deg constantly.

I see the default fan speed is 80% at 80 deg.

I'm going to 80% at 65deg. 90 at 70deg and 100 at 80 plus.

Any down side to ramping faster sooner? Why is the stock curve so low?

nashman

Well I know why the default curve is low! I now top out at 74deg but the fans are quite loud at 100%

I think I'll tweak it some more find a middle ground running at about 80 degrees. Or do you think 80 is to hot to be running at for long periods?

reKon

Banned
Something like this? Remove the SSD of course and you can probably remove the DVD drive. This is a potential build I'm putting together for a friend's office build. Has WiFi built-in to the mobo which I think is handy. You also should be able to mod the case fairly easily to fit a full ATX power supply instead of the smaller SFX which would give you more power supply options (and you could probably get a slightly cheaper power supply that way).

Thanks for the suggestion. I was doing some browsing and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j-u7B5nzAk

Anyone have a barebones type case that would be better than this 5 incher for $140 and ram I think?

I already have the storage so would just need a CPU I think...

Got my 1080 back from GB's RMA department today. Popped it in, took it for a spin on pubg aaaaaand I see artifacting the second I pull my chute are you fuxking kidding me.

Weird thing, instead of blue screening the PC it killed the games process and windows 10 popped up a window saying I needed .Net 3.5.

Downloaded that and about to take PUBG for another spin but I get the feeling that won't fix the problem lol.

mildshock.gif They didn't fix anything. At least they didn't charge me return shipping.

So I guess I email them or something demanding a new graphics card? And compensation for me shipping them the card that they didn't fix? Lol what a joke, but you get what you pay for I guess

Well I know why the default curve is low! I now top out at 74deg but the fans are quite loud at 100%

I think I'll tweak it some more find a middle ground running at about 80 degrees. Or do you think 80 is to hot to be running at for long periods?

It's alright. I have three blower style cards that run at 80C for hours (often entire nights) every time I render an animation. I would honestly worry more about the fan lasting if you run it at 100% for that much time or every day.

ISee

I already answered that question, so pls read answers instead of asking the same question a couple of times: No 80°c isn't too hot or dangerous and pretty normal for cards with blower fans.
Also 80% fan speed isn't low, it's already a lot. Ramping up fans will improve temperatures but it will also increase noise.

Fan curves are usually set quite conservatively. It's generally a case of pick your poison, heat or noise.

Mid to low 80c should be fine on the GPU, but it'll likely thermal throttle to an extent. Despite that sounding a bit violent, thermal throttling isn't the end of the world and you do have some options.

You can higher your fan speeds (free).
You could add an extra fan into your case to blow cooler air towards your GPU's fan (costs a small amount of money).
You could go all out, remove the blower fan from your card and fit a liquid cooler on to it (costs a fair bit).

Personally, I'd just put up with the noise as I wear headphones anyway when I play games.

derFeef

I could get the Asus ROG PG279Q for 100€ less than it is everywhere, should I bite?
I currently have the Asus PB278Q for a few years now and a 1080TI on the way - I am happy but I also want to jump on that G-Ssync wagon with the card in my PC soon.

stupid question:

I have a 1440p 165hz gaming monitor that I use all the time, main monitor. I have a gtx 1080.

I have one old shitty 1080p monitor laying around in my closet.

questions:
1. Can I connect the 1080p to my videocard via hdmi WITHOUT eating performance? I guess I will lose it since now the card needs to feed to monitors
2. If I connect the monitor to my videocard, will I always have it on? or can I disable that easily, and only turn it on if I am using both monitors? where do I do that?

Thanks

About to pull the trigger on this:

Proc:
- Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor

Mobo:
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 ATX Motherboard with Onboard AC Wi-Fi and USB 3.1

Memory:
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

I already have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO fan for the proc I am using (it's still compatible with this new proc right?) and also have a GTX1080 Video card and a solid state drive.

Any last minute swap or advice?

stupid question:

I have a 1440p 165hz gaming monitor that I use all the time, main monitor. I have a gtx 1080.

I have one old shitty 1080p monitor laying around in my closet.

questions:
1. Can I connect the 1080p to my videocard via hdmi WITHOUT eating performance? I guess I will lose it since now the card needs to feed to monitors
2. If I connect the monitor to my videocard, will I always have it on? or can I disable that easily, and only turn it on if I am using both monitors? where do I do that?

Thanks

1) It will have a very minimal impact on performance if you simply leave it doing nothing on your desktop. I wouldn't worry about that at all. You will start seeing some performance hits if you're actively using that second monitor, such as running a second game or something simultaneously, but it doesn't seem like you're planning to do that, so you should be fine.

2) You can turn the screen off using the screen's power button, but I think it'll always use some extremely minor level of GPU resources simply by having it plugged into your GPU. I really don't think you need to worry about it though, as it should be a negligible impact. Just turn the screen off if you don't want to have it illuminated. I run a 1440p144Hz/1080p60Hz dual 24" monitor setup and it has worked great with my 1080 Ti.

1) It will have a very minimal impact on performance if you simply leave it doing nothing on your desktop. I wouldn't worry about that at all. You will start seeing some performance hits if you're actively using that second monitor, such as running a second game or something simultaneously, but it doesn't seem like you're planning to do that, so you should be fine.

2) You can turn the screen off using the screen's power button, but I think it'll always use some extremely minor level of GPU resources simply by having it plugged into your GPU. I really don't think you need to worry about it though, as it should be a negligible impact. Just turn the screen off if you don't want to have it illuminated. I run a 1440p144Hz/1080p60Hz dual 24" monitor setup and it has worked great with my 1080 Ti.

nice, so when I run any games, it will automatically go on both monitors? how do I set up to have it full screen on just the good monitor?

ScOULaris

Would someone mind giving me a recommendation for a CPU + mobo upgrade?

Here's my current situation:

MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard
MSI R9 270x Gaming 2GB
16GB DDR3 RAM (1600)
AMD FX-6300 Black Edition (OC'ed to 4.1Ghz)
1080p 144hz ASUS Monitor

I just ordered a new GPU (EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB), and I'll be adding it to my current system when it arrives next week. That being said, I'm well aware of the CPU bottleneck that I'll be dealing with in the meantime, one that will surely be felt in some of the more CPU-limited games that I play.

So I'm looking to upgrade my CPU + mobo to alleviate said bottleneck and future-proof my build for another few years. I'm looking to game in 1080p with an emphasis on higher framerates to take advantage of my 144hz monitor.

I assume Intel CPU's are still better for gaming, right? I went AMD when I built my current PC years ago to come in under budget, but this time around I can afford to go Intel and benefit from their better efficiency and gaming optimizations.

If the price is right, I'd prefer a CPU + mobo combo that is conducive to overclocking as well. So a CPU with an unlocked multiplier would be best.

I'm looking to come in at under $350 for the combo if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nice, so when I run any games, it will automatically go on both monitors? how do I set up to have it full screen on just the good monitor?

All the games I play default to one screen. In Windows, go to your Display options and there are some settings you can play with that might be helpful, such as whether you want the screens extended (this is probably what you want), duplicated, etc. If you play games in full-screen, they'll almost always default to your main monitor, but if you play in windowed mode, you can drag them between the screens as you see fit.

You can also disable the taskbar on the secondary monitor if you want, which is what I did. Just right click your task bar and select Taskbar Settings, then scroll down to the Multiple Displays settings area and choose your options as you see fit.

Top Bottom