• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I nod off no matter what time of day it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man, this thread is me exactly. time to read that sleep apnea wiki article. I'm slim and go to the gym, but admittingly not enough. 8 hours of really good sleep every night

someone at work has sleep apnea. he sleeps with a gas mask over his face that pumps him full of oxygen or something. he comes into work with rings on his face

agrajag

Banned
Jakeh111 said:
Last few years I have noticed that no matter what time of the day it is if I lay down and watch tv I nod off, if I lay down to read a book I nod off, if Im at a show sitting down after having a beer I nod off, sitting at the computer I nod off, driving I nod off, at the movie I nod off. It goes on and on, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and dont feel tired but it just happens! What can I do to get out of this funk!?

same here :/

Shanadeus

Banned
Jakeh111 said:
Last few years I have noticed that no matter what time of the day it is if I lay down and watch tv I nod off, if I lay down to read a book I nod off, if Im at a show sitting down after having a beer I nod off, sitting at the computer I nod off, driving I nod off, at the movie I nod off. It goes on and on, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and dont feel tired but it just happens! What can I do to get out of this funk!?
Stop driving for now and go see a doctor.
You might have some sleep disorder as others have pointed out but it's something that a doctor need to decide.

Slayven

Messypandas said:
someone at work has sleep apnea. he sleeps with a gas mask over his face that pumps him full of oxygen or something. he comes into work with rings on his face
I have same thing. And it is an air pump that connects to a mask you wear on your face that changes the air pressure around your nose and mouth. Forcing them to stay open so you take in more oxygen and allows you to stay in a deeper mode of sleep for longer periods of time. It's not that bad and I feel energized after using it.

Cyrillus

I would've said sleep apnea, except that he said he doesn't feel tired. I have a friend who would nod off all the time as well, he finally saw a doctor about it and was diagnosed with narcolepsy. He takes medication for it now and doesn't have issues with nodding off.

Bottom line, go see a doctor!

Giard

I nod off so damn easily in a car, driving or not. There has to be someone speaking to me if it's a long ride, if not I'll start seeing double and swerve :/

I think it's because I wouldn't sleep at all when I was a baby because of frequent colics. The only way my parents would get me to fall asleep was to put me in the car and drive around for a couple of minutes.

-_-

Banned
Ugh I have this problem too ):

I would get 8 hours of sleep but then fall asleep in class or on the subway. I would even get tired at six o clock. Other times I would get 3-5 hours of sleep after doing homework but wake up wide awake.

besada

Banned
For someone who hasn't slept well in a week, this sounds like wonderful problem to have.

To the OP, is it a normal drowsy falling asleep, or do you fall asleep suddenly? I had a friend with narcolepsy who thought he just wasn't getting enough sleep at first.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Messypandas said:
It just rams air down his throat so it can't close.

Rikyfree

Freshmaker said:
It just rams air down his throat so it can't close.
Yea, my mom uses the same thing. Sleep apnea can actually be fatal so it's nothing to laugh about. Hell, I might actually have it. But to the subby, you have two real options: Cocaine or a doctor. Go see a doctor.

dubc35

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a couple months ago. I use a cpap now. It took a bit to get used to but the payoff in how much better I feel throughout the day is definitely worth it. ...and I don't arrive at work with rings on my face, lol.

To the OP, sorry you don't have insurance. Do you ever sleep with/next someone? g/f b/f? or have friends stay over or something? You may not snore but you might have apneas (blockages in the airway). If you do have someone that sleeps near you ask them if they hear you gasping for air during the night.

FStop7

Banned
NutJobJim said:
I get this every time I eat.
The worst is when I have an important all day meeting and we take a lunch break.

I'll be wide awake, eat lunch, come back for the afternoon session and BAM without fail I'm falling asleep.
Like actually struggling to keep my eyes open and nodding off in front of everyone.

It's embarrassing, especially during important meetings lol.

Feeling drowsy after lunch is a pretty common thing, it has to do with the kind of food you eat and the digestive process. Again, I found that exercise help with improving this.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Could be narcolepsy, could be sleep apnea, could be mild malnutrition/lack of exercise (keeping a high protein/low carb diet helps my energy a lot), and it could also be a thyroid disorder that's limiting your overall energy (that ended up being a big part of my problem).

I realize you're one of the millions that are uninsured, but do what you can to get to a doctor who can check up on things for you.

Jakeh111

besada said:
For someone who hasn't slept well in a week, this sounds like wonderful problem to have.

To the OP, is it a normal drowsy falling asleep, or do you fall asleep suddenly? I had a friend with narcolepsy who thought he just wasn't getting enough sleep at first.

Its a drowsy feeling, but if I dont watch it I can fall asleep. And for the people telling me to not drive I have figured out how to keep me more awake in the car, I just bring something to drink like water and keep drinking it on the ride.

MMaRsu

Banned
Jakeh111 said:

cocaine.gif

Mistake

What is your sleeping arrangement OP? Have you considered investing in a bed or trying different sheets or pillows? I sleep pretty good no matter where I am, but for some reason I sleep better with more sheets on me because of the weight. As others have said, make sure you're in good health and find a daily routine that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom