• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Saw The Devil getting a remake from the directors/writers of You're Next

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://screenrant.com/i-saw-devil-movie-remake/
http://www.thewrap.com/the-guests-a...t-to-tackle-i-saw-the-devil-remake-exclusive/

Just days before their latest genre film “The Guest” hits theaters, Simon Barrett and Adam Wingard are nearing a deal to write and direct an English-language remake of Kim Jee-Woon's 2010 South Korean serial killer thriller “I Saw the Devil,

Snoot Entertainment, the company behind “The Guest” and “You're Next,” has also boarded the project. Snoot's Keith Calder and Jessica Calder will produce with Adi Shankar (“Dredd”) and Spencer Silna.

Member876

Banned
Going to suck, even the original movie was stupid as hell. It was stylish movie so if they can at least make it look cool then I might watch it.

Akahige

Unneeded remake but it could work with alright with that team behind, I haven't seen The Guest yet but it's got that cool 80's genre throwback vibe that would be good for this.

I saw the devil is one of my favourite films, same for my wife. We watched the old boy remake out of curiosity and my wife actually cried at how bad they butchered it (she really loves old boy).

I don't hold high hopes.

Didn't think the original was that great. It was interesting in that the hero was the cypher and the villian was the character that the film followed but the rest? eh....

Didn't think the original was that great. It was interesting in that the hero was the cypher and the villian was the character that the film followed but the rest? eh....

Not a big fan of these gloomy Korean crime movies anyways. But even then I could recognize this was on the lower end of the scale tbh

Enco

Didn't like You're Next but The Guest was brilliant (dat music).

Don't see the need for this though. Not sure if they'll make it as brutal as the original.

I was really against the idea of this remake until I heard who would be doing it. You're Next was a lot of fun and I've heard great things about The Guest, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Wingard and co. do with it.

I saw the devil is one of my favourite films, same for my wife. We watched the old boy remake out of curiosity and my wife actually cried at how bad they butchered it (she really loves old boy).

I don't hold high hopes.

Yeah but that was directed by Spike Lee, and this will be directed by someone who actually has a passion and talent for the genre at hand.

- J - D -

As far as Korean thrillers go, I always thought I Saw The Devil was of the junk food variety. It's kinda dumb, it's mean, and in the end you don't really give a shit about anyone.

So whatever, Hollywood, do what you want.

Knew this would happen eventually. I'll be interested in just about anything from this team, but the remake trap is a hard one to escape.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It already had an incredibly shitty Bollywood remake recently

Iq1dGiJ.jpg

I Saw The Devil haunts me. Seeing women getting
brutally murdered crushes my soul. Especially the main character's wife and her sister.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
As far as Korean thrillers go, I always thought I Saw The Devil was of the junk food variety. It's kinda dumb, it's mean, and in the end you don't really give a shit about anyone.

So whatever, Hollywood, do what you want.

Spot on. I didn't care for it at all. Maybe the remake could turn it into a good film.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You're Next is a super fun slasher, don't know anything about this movie, but I hope it's good.

Mendoza

The only thing I liked was the premise. Having the protagonist follow around and maim the villain to the point where you realize the protagonist becomes a psychopath himself was a new and interesting concept to me.

Good luck, Hollywood.

Wiktor

The original was propably the most well put together movie I've ever seen. Almost every scene seemed to be perfect. Doubt the remake will be able to recreate that.

If this news brought the movie to your attention, please watch the original, it's so awesome (well, maybe the ending feels a bit contrived).

I don't know about the quality of various dubs as I watched it with subs.

Always remember. A remake cannot destroy the original so there's no reason to get upset!
*still grinds teeth*

Foggy

Because Hollywood.

As far as I know, no major studio in Hollywood has picked this up yet. It's just a couple producers who have the remake rights trying to piece something together that could be attractive to the money men. And really, there's no reason to believe a studio like Lionsgate would flinch at that violence.

thenexus6

I can see why Hollywood is trying to jump and remake these Korean movies. They are so damn good. I'd prefer to watch a Korean thriller over a Hollywood one anyway.

I love You're Next and I hear The Guest is great but we don't need this.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Guest. The OST is probably the stand out though, so damn good. Still, it had good performances from all involved and I liked the ending as well. The friends I was with groaned though...

As for this news, utterly pointless remake. It won't be anywhere near as good and it certainly won't be as gory or as violent.

This is sad news.

Yes. Mostly in smaller theaters. It's rare that a foreign language film ever makes it into a theater chain.
I was pleasantly surprised to catch The Raid 2 in my local AMC theater. The theater was practically empty, but it was so worth seeing on the big screen.

I love the original :D It was so weird and funny <3

I dont think it will translate well into Hollywood :x

I love that little bus with the angel wings dangling on the rearview mirror aaaaaaa <3

This is sad news.

Yes. Mostly in smaller theaters. It's rare that a foreign language film ever makes it into a theater chain.

That's sad to hear, here in France nearly every movie are released both dubbed and in the original version with subtitles.

Munin

The original was terribly pretentious and tried so hard to somehow look meaningful and dark that it actually became unintentionally funny. At least someone like Wingard can bring some more humor on board. Then it can't be worse than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom