• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I started my final road towards my gastric sleeve today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumquat

Got a bit of discouragement. A doctor told me that I'm too healthy to get the bariatric surgery. He said I'm not anywhere near diabetic, my cholestorol is normal and that my blood pressure is for all intents and purposes is normal. Don't know if this should rattle me.

I didn't have any of that stuff either man. I was just super fat. Don't let it rattle you. This is a great decision you are making for your health and as long as insurance covers it then you will kick yourself for not doing it.

I'm down to 325 now and started at 390. It's slow going but it makes me smile to lose a pound here and a pound there. Aside from the whole cancer thing I'm feeling better than I have in awhile.

I didn't have any of that stuff either man. I was just super fat. Don't let it rattle you. This is a great decision you are making for your health and as long as insurance covers it then you will kick yourself for not doing it.

I'm down to 325 now and started at 390. It's slow going but it makes me smile to lose a pound here and a pound there. Aside from the whole cancer thing I'm feeling better than I have in awhile.

Thing that bothers me is that he states that the bariatric surgeons and nurses are biased. Then he points to the one employee in his practice that had it and states she lost only five pounds and her quality of life went down. Isn't that biased in and of itself? I was looking at more other peoples results within years

One more week to go for surgery.

Megasoum

Banned
Well I'm back home now.

Everything went well and I cope with the pain really well overall.

I'm kinda fucked up on Morphine right now so it feels really weird. Also, lots of gases, as expected. The gas is pretty much the only real discomfort/pain I have right now (except for the bandages stretching a bit but that's normal). Trying to walk it off and go through the next 2-3 days.

Kumquat

Well I'm back home now.

Everything went well and I cope with the pain really well overall.

I'm kinda fucked up on Morphine right now so it feels really weird. Also, lots of gases, as expected. The gas is pretty much the only real discomfort/pain I have right now (except for the bandages stretching a bit but that's normal). Trying to walk it off and go through the next 2-3 days.

You got this bro. I hope you don't go through what I did.

Megasoum

Banned
Bump.

Surgery is on thursday. Getting closer.

Nice!

I'm now on day +5 which means that I started eating semi-solid stuff this morning. Feels great! Ate a bowl of Special K cereals this morning and then a carrot soup for lunch.

I'm feeling really great. It's been a LOT easier than I expected. Never had any nausea, the gas issue is pretty much over by now, I don't take Tylenols anymore cause I don't have any pain. Looks like I've been lucky!

I took a 6km walk yesterday afternoon and I'm going back out right now for another (smaller) walk.

Returning to the clinic tomorrow morning to get the bandages and staples removed... I'll finally be able to take a shower. Can't wait.

I'm a nurse that works on a floor that handles one of the largest bypass programs in Canada.

All I can say is that the actual surgery is only like 10% of the total picture. 90% is lifestyle change and the mental preparedness for that change, and the continued commitment to that change FOREVER more.

I can predict a failed bypass from a mile away within the first hour of working with a fresh surgery patient.

Out of curiosity, what are the signs?

Megasoum

Banned
Tomorrows the day. Ummm Excited?

Good luck!

Don't skimp on the morphine for the first day or so and you'll be just fine! You'll quickly get back to normal after the surgery (well except for the food of course).

It will be one week tomorrow morning for me and I'm holding myself back from eating more solid stuff. I want to do thing properly and follow the schedule but I know I could easily eat harder stuff right now.

The portions really are hella smalls tho! That's kind of crazy and weird to get used.

Good luck!

Don't skimp on the morphine for the first day or so and you'll be just fine! You'll quickly get back to normal after the surgery (well except for the food of course).

It will be one week tomorrow morning for me and I'm holding myself back from eating more solid stuff. I want to do thing properly and follow the schedule but I know I could easily eat harder stuff right now.

The portions really are hella smalls tho! That's kind of crazy and weird to get used.

It just feels like cold feet or something. I've already adjusted my diet to be mainly the bariatric diet. I've eaten mainly protein and fruits for three months before the fast. After the fast, I'm like 342-343 which is almost 80 lbs down from the 420 or so I weighed in Jan 2015. However, I just feel confused. I've always yoyoed between 320-380, but I still feel like I"m giving up something and I won't be able to get it back. Feels weird to explain.

Megasoum

Banned
It just feels like cold feet or something. I've already adjusted my diet to be mainly the bariatric diet. I've eaten mainly protein and fruits for three months before the fast. After the fast, I'm like 342-343 which is almost 80 lbs down from the 420 or so I weighed in Jan 2015. However, I just feel confused. I've always yoyoed between 320-380, but I still feel like I"m giving up something and I won't be able to get it back. Feels weird to explain.

Oh yeah I get ya believe me. It feels weird that you know it will never be like before.

Weird feeling for sure.

FYI I've lost a bit over 12 pounds in the last week lol

Welp, today is the day. Still feel kind of numb to the entire thing. It does mean I can't eat my grandmas cooking again. Kind of depressing really. That's probably the most somber thought that I have. I couldn't care about my moms, my aunts, restaurants, but my grandmas cooking still gives me pause. I know it's not healthy or good for me. I know it's oily as hell, but still there's something calming about it.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp, today is the day. Still feel kind of numb to the entire thing. It does mean I can't eat my grandmas cooking again. Kind of depressing really. That's probably the most somber thought that I have. I couldn't care about my moms, my aunts, restaurants, but my grandmas cooking still gives me pause. I know it's not healthy or good for me. I know it's oily as hell, but still there's something calming about it.

Bah you'll still be able to eat small quantities of it if you're willing to suffer the consequences the next morning lol

Girlfriend update:
So it went well and he's in recovery now. He kept trying to come up for reasons that he wouldn't get it (like the liver not shrinking enough), but the doctor was pleased with how smoothly it all went. The surgery part never scared me, but the anxiety of recovery and proper eating. Excluding his limited cooking skills, he has trouble cooking in the kitchen due to his back. So I feel a great deal of pressure on me to see he succeeds. Plus I'm still in the middle of finals, the end of it due on Monday.

It seems so strange to think of him skinner than he is now. I met him when he was towards his highest, and that's the only way I've known him. Even at his lowest, his physical appearance didn't change much as nearly all his weight is on his chestabs. It'll be something we both have to adjust to, and at least it's not an overnight change.

On the plus side, we do have one place we can eat out at. El pollo loco serves a chicken tortilla soup, but they add the ingredients to a bowl and then add the both with veggies on top. So they've served me a bowl with just the broth. He got a little tired of my plain broth at home. Once he's back on solids, they have plain grilled chicken and steamed broccoli on their menu. It's probably not as healthy as what I can make at home, but at least we can have a bite to eat if we're out and about and not feel like we have to be home every three hours for a meal/snack.

I'm a little worried when he finally joins me at the university next fall. The cafeteria is a little lacking and very heavy carb based. He doesn't have to worry now because we live close enough to the CC to avoid the cafeteria there.

A few days have passed and I feel a bit better. The pain is going down and I'm starting to walk. I still feel a bit disoriented, but at least I'm moving and drinking again at this point.

Megasoum

Banned
Great to hear!

Yeah the first days are a bit weird. Especially, I think, because of the anasthesia. I felt like a zombie for like 2 days.

Keep it up! It's only gonna get better from here!

Great to hear!

Yeah the first days are a bit weird. Especially, I think, because of the anasthesia. I felt like a zombie for like 2 days.

Keep it up! It's only gonna get better from here!

Better? Smelling food makes me rage. It's like BURITTOS! I WANT IT! GIMME GIMME GIMME! FRIED CHICKEN? I WANT THAT TOO! GIMME THAT MOTHER FUCKING FOOD. I can feel it in my eyes and my mouth and there's like anger that goes into it. But then it subsides because my stomach isn't even hungry.

Got on the scale today. 327. Down from 343 just a week ago. I'm kind of glad for the weight loss, but I feel kind of depressed at knowing I''ll never be normal again when it comes to eating food with friends or family. I don't want to be that guy that's doing a bite and then being left out. It feels like I am the fucking killjoy now for any social gathering that may involve food or going out.

Megasoum

Banned
Got on the scale today. 327. Down from 343 just a week ago. I'm kind of glad for the weight loss, but I feel kind of depressed at knowing I''ll never be normal again when it comes to eating food with friends or family. I don't want to be that guy that's doing a bite and then being left out. It feels like I am the fucking killjoy now for any social gathering that may involve food or going out.

Yeah that part can be rough. Christmas and New Year familly dinners will be weird.

You'll have to find your own new normal. It will probably happen sooner than you think. Hang in there, and good luck!

Megasoum

Banned
Was stuck at a bus terminal with 40min to wait, hungry and with only a McDonald available.

Judging from the girl's face I'm pretty sure it was the first time she saw a 315lbs dude ordering a happy meal with a glass of water hahaha.

Just the small fries and the 4 nuggets were really rough. Man it sucks eating greasy stuff now (which is a good thing I guess lol). Feels like shit for 20min afterwards.

Kumquat

Congrats to both of you. I look forward to seeing how it all goes.

I am now three months in and have lost 75 pounds. Started at 390 and am now 315. Just gotta keep it going. I had one terrible meal last night in celebration of Hannukah but I am ready to get back at it for the new year.

Congrats to both of you. I look forward to seeing how it all goes.

I am now three months in and have lost 75 pounds. Started at 390 and am now 315. Just gotta keep it going. I had one terrible meal last night in celebration of Hannukah but I am ready to get back at it for the new year.

How's your reactions to terrible meals? Weird thing is that it's not even two weeks out of the surgery, and I'm already hungry. Like I want to eat. I'm not feeling that feeling where I'm not hungry which is nice since I can get my nutrition in, but I"m still hungry after eating my three ounces of baby food.

roughly another week. Still doesn't feel normal. I do feel the weight melting off, but I still am rather unsure about it. I'm moving more and more and I can't seem to get any stability on my feet. My sides are starting to hurt too. The only thing that stopped the pain was not moving for a while.

Kumquat

roughly another week. Still doesn't feel normal. I do feel the weight melting off, but I still am rather unsure about it. I'm moving more and more and I can't seem to get any stability on my feet. My sides are starting to hurt too. The only thing that stopped the pain was not moving for a while.

I would talk to your doctor about that pain man. That doesn't sound typical. Hopefully it isn't much of anything.

I have now hit 80 pounds lost and am at 310. My hair has started falling out which is freaky but normal. Hopefully I won't lose too much of it.

appaws

Banned
I would talk to your doctor about that pain man. That doesn't sound typical. Hopefully it isn't much of anything.

I have now hit 80 pounds lost and am at 310. My hair has started falling out which is freaky but normal. Hopefully I won't lose too much of it.

Is that normal? What is it that makes your hair fall out, some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency?

Kumquat

Is that normal? What is it that makes your hair fall out, some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency?

Hair works on a three month curve. If you have a protein deficiency, especially if your body is trying to repair itself after a huge surgery, then it will cut off the non essential stuff that protein goes toward like your hair and nails. Three months after the surgery is typical for the hair to thin out and fall out and then another three months for it to restore itself and grow back.

Megasoum

Banned
That feeling when there's not much stuff to eat in the house, there's icy rain outside so you don't want to go out but there's also nothing you can order since all those portions are way too big and/or greasy so it would be a super big waste of money....ugh

Kumquat

I'm posting updates when I think about it. Here, just took a body photo yesterday of me at 310 pounds. My first body photo since surgery. You can see how baggy my pants are.

GSdxroV.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
should this topic be kept or closed since nobody is really posting anything anymore?

I see no reason to close it. If somebody has to say anything it get bumped and if not then it goes down the pages. Personnaly I have the tab pinned in chrome with GAF Live Thread running on it but I don't exactly expect super high activity.

I'm posting updates when I think about it. Here, just took a body photo yesterday of me at 310 pounds. My first body photo since surgery. You can see how baggy my pants are.

GSdxroV.jpg

Nice!!

It was my Surgery + 1 Month appointements today (both seeing the doctor and the nutritionnist). I can finally start going back to the gym! Can't wait!

As far as weight goes. I was at 355lbs in early november when I started the month long liquid diet. Was at 331lbs the morning of the surgery and I'm now at 311 a month later. Going great!

Now I need to focus my diet around proteins. I'm not taking enough which is a problem and will get 10x worse once I go back to the gym. Taking roughly 40g of proteins everyday right now and I should by around 60g (or 75g on gym days).

Anyway, starting to go back to my 2XL clothes that I used to wear a couple of years ago. Feels great!

I see no reason to close it. If somebody has to say anything it get bumped and if not then it goes down the pages. Personnaly I have the tab pinned in chrome with GAF Live Thread running on it but I don't exactly expect super high activity.

Nice!!

It was my Surgery + 1 Month appointements today (both seeing the doctor and the nutritionnist). I can finally start going back to the gym! Can't wait!

As far as weight goes. I was at 355lbs in early november when I started the month long liquid diet. Was at 331lbs the morning of the surgery and I'm now at 311 a month later. Going great!

Now I need to focus my diet around proteins. I'm not taking enough which is a problem and will get 10x worse once I go back to the gym. Taking roughly 40g of proteins everyday right now and I should by around 60g (or 75g on gym days).

Anyway, starting to go back to my 2XL clothes that I used to wear a couple of years ago. Feels great!

Jesus. I was actually told to go to 80-100 grams of protein a day. Right now I'm at 70 or so, and I feel tired and depleted when I move around a few miles a day. It may even go higher than that once I start going to the gym.

I haven't weighed myself in weeks, but once I start going back to the gym, I'll start weighing myself more often.

Kumquat

I'm supposed to do 80 grams a day but man it is tough to do, especially as I am having such a hard time stomaching the protein shakes anymore.

I have made a nightly ritual of having a glass of milk before bed though. That helps get more protein in my system as well as Vitamin D and calcium which I am lacking currently per my labs.

I was anemic when I was a kid and it looks like I am headed back that way. My iron levels are dropping towards what they were when I was younger now that I'm not eating near as much.

I'm supposed to do 80 grams a day but man it is tough to do, especially as I am having such a hard time stomaching the protein shakes anymore.

I have made a nightly ritual of having a glass of milk before bed though. That helps get more protein in my system as well as Vitamin D and calcium which I am lacking currently per my labs.

I was anemic when I was a kid and it looks like I am headed back that way. My iron levels are dropping towards what they were when I was younger now that I'm not eating near as much.

I think I"m doing alright on the protein. the shake I'm taking is 25 grams each shake, and I"m taking it with milk. I found the Stacker 2 Not just Protein whey shake tastes pretty damn good actually. It has no sugar, only 4 grams of carbs and doesn't taste like shit. Though I still feel hungry throughout the day.

You just tired of the protein shakes or you physically can't tolerate them anymore? It took me a while to find one that didn't taste like shit. The gatorade ones are weird as hell though. Pure powder that can't wash off and tastes like powder and doesn't mix. Muscle milk tasted like shit.

Did a weigh in. Down to 316. Lost over 40 lbs in one month since the surgery. Not too bad. I'm up to three ounces of protein per meal so I basically get a kids meal at El Pollo Loco which is essentially the plan to a tee. 3.2 ounces of protein and two ounces of veggies. All at only 200 calories.

Kumquat

Good job. My weight stayed steady at 307-310 for a bit but it is down to 305 today. Doc said that happens because your body has to adjust before it drops more weight. I am so focused on hitting under 300 and it has been a bit frustrating but it is what it is.

For the last week and a half I have had a constant low grade headache. I am not sure why. I just put in a call to my doc to see if she has any ideas.

Kumquat

I finally called my doctor. For three weeks now I have been the same weight of 305-310. It's frustrating. At the same time I've gone down another notch on my belt somehow. No idea if I'm losing weight and just not showing it on the scale or what.

The headache was my anemia BTW. I'm on iron pills now.

Weighed in a day or two ago. I was at 296 in the night. Though I weighed like 292 in the morning. I feel weird. I don't regret the surgery as much now, but I'm in more pain now then I ever was before the surgery. The eating is a lot smaller now, I feel satisfied now. It's kind of nice being satisfied. Though I'm hating the fact that I want a damn bun so bad on my burger.

Kumquat

Weighed in a day or two ago. I was at 296 in the night. Though I weighed like 292 in the morning. I feel weird. I don't regret the surgery as much now, but I'm in more pain now then I ever was before the surgery. The eating is a lot smaller now, I feel satisfied now. It's kind of nice being satisfied. Though I'm hating the fact that I want a damn bun so bad on my burger.

I know them feels.

Now that I'm back from banned camp I can give a report.

So good news first. I went below 300 finally and I have lost 90 pounds so far since September 21st. On the downside because of that huge weight loss my body is in shock and prone to sickness until it recovers. I just got done dealing with a cold and a cyst I've had in the center of my chest for a decade ruptured. I now have a hole in my chest from where they opened it up and drained out as much crap as they could and then dumped iodine into it to try and kill what they couldn't reach.

Still no regrets though. My knee feels so much better and when I'm not sick I feel great.

Kumquat

Weighed in at 296 today. My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit but it is slowly, ever so slowly going. I see my surgeon on Thursday for another follow up.

Weighed in at 296 today. My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit but it is slowly, ever so slowly going. I see my surgeon on Thursday for another follow up.

Glad it's not just me. I'm down to 292 and the weight loss seems to be tapering off to like a pound a week or so now. But I'm only about 40 lbs from where I need to be to be nice and stout.

Kumquat

Glad it's not just me. I'm down to 292 and the weight loss seems to be tapering off to like a pound a week or so now. But I'm only about 40 lbs from where I need to be to be nice and stout.

It's a tough road man. I'm at 294 now give or take a pound depending on the day. Getting closer to 100 pounds lost. I went to the park this weekend with my girl and was walking around with no issues. It was a revelation.

Per the doc and her fancy scale I actually gained a pound of muscle since two months ago. I gained several pounds of muscle in my arms and legs but I did lose a few in my torso. I still have a pulling feeling in my stomach muscles so I can't overdo too much but I usually walk about a mile during my lunch at work and work some light weights for the arms and do various leg exercises.

It's slow but it is still coming off and it is the healthier way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom