• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still can't believe Virtual Tickets to Blizzcon is a thing

KePoW

Banned
I bought the Virtual Ticket this year and last time, and don't feel bad about it. Don't see why people care what other customers like.

Personally I mainly get it for instant access to all the panels, I like watching stuff like that.

JSoup

Banned
At least you can sell the goodies for a decent price.

Unless of course the items are Bind on Account when you purchased the Virtual Ticket. That would suck.

They are. The ticket auto-credits the items to your battle.net account. Might be able to sell the battle pet for in game gold, though.

forrest

formerly nacire
I play Blizzard games way too much, still raid three nights a week in wow, etc, etc. and I still refuse to pay this much for Blizzcon access even with the digital goodies. I mean, the pets in wow are cool and all, but I'll just wait until after Blizzcon to watch everything.

Tacitus_

I've bought it before and would've bought it now but I can't be arsed to spend the night watching streams. Good nights sleep and cliff notes the next morning will have to do.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
woah woah woah

for forty dollars i get not only a banner

but also a portrait in sc2?!?

hold me
People in line would ask to buy pets for $40 before I even got the bag. SO MUCH FOR MY LOWER TICKET COST
Naw, I have bought GOM streams also. /shrug. Just the one, but still I didn't regret it.
Shit I've spent more than I remember.

srcsO3L.png

Lothars

It's worth it, all the posters in here saying that blizzard games are crap are the same ones that have no clue.

I don't regret it at all the last couple years I have really enjoyed it.

NewGame

Banned
Gamers are stupid (when it comes to finance) and will throw their money at anything vaguely related to the object of their affection.

These days the fad is intangible objects! Intangible objects for everyone! Intangibility floods into the streets!

V_Arnold

ITT People do not understand that the Blizzcon Virtual ticket does not just give you a random goodie bag, but also gives you the opportunity to have access to ALL the panels, some of which are very entertaining year to year. THAT is what many are paying for.

Considering that there are AAA games in the market currently for 60$ that do not last as long as a whole weekend (which is Blizzcon's "duration"), I fail to understand this "outrage".

Also, do not believe for a second that many Doctor Who fans would not pay a Virtual Ticket for that comic-con which hosted the 50th Anniversary trailer which never leaked...so, yeah. This is not some case of greedy Blizz and dumb Blizz fans. It is fans wanting to see the content that would not be available to them if this ticket were not made.

Giolon

I used to buy it when I was into WoW still and the chance of getting a real ticket was exceptionally low and/or the cost of getting to LA to attend too high. I mean, do you expect Blizzard to set up all the streaming and bandwidth of all that stuff for free? (Of course you do. This is the Internet). Blizzard used to claim that they put on BlizzCon at-cost. I don't know if that's still true, but I always felt paying for the stream was worth it - getting to watch the live announcements and Q&A's, getting the digital goodie bag, and having the whole thing available to watch recordings if I missed something or wasn't home for the live show.

Point is - don't like it? Don't buy into it. But don't automatically assume that anyone who does buy it is a moron.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Best $39,99 I'll spend this year.

Blizzcon is one GOOD fucking experience. Follow the streams and on GAF simultaneously for an EPIC adventure.

edit: I would probably pay $40 for just the SC2 portrait.

Panels should be streamed for free. They're giant hour long advertisements for their games to people who are still buying them.

I guess that's why they charge because they know there are people who are going to buy their junk regardless and why not get more money out of them.

ITT People do not understand that the Blizzcon Virtual ticket does not just give you a random goodie bag, but also gives you the opportunity to have access to ALL the panels, some of which are very entertaining year to year. THAT is what many are paying for.

No one is failing to understand that. There will be media present and anything of actual substance from the panels will be all over the internet in no time. These panels are worth attending in person because you can ask questions of (and often even meet and speak personally with) developers and the like. Their "virtual" value is "virtually" jack shit.

I would honestly respect people more for saying they were buying the ticket for just a vanity pet than a stream of a panel that's going to be an hour or more of farting around for five minutes worth of useful information and maybe a three minute trailer, both of which any competent journalist can distill for them and save everyone a lot of time.

But if they can get people to pay them, more power to them. Again, they aren't being in any way dishonest with the consumer about what they're providing here, so they really are blameless if people buy it anyway.

Slayerx

No one is failing to understand that. There will be media present and anything of actual substance from the panels will be all over the internet in no time. These panels are worth attending in person because you can ask questions of (and often even meet and speak personally with) developers and the like. Their "virtual" value is "virtually" jack shit.

I would honestly respect people more for saying they were buying the ticket for just a vanity pet than a stream of a panel that's going to be an hour or more of farting around for five minutes worth of useful information and maybe a three minute trailer, both of which any competent journalist can distill for them and save everyone a lot of time.

But if they can get people to pay them, more power to them. Again, they aren't being in any way dishonest with the consumer about what they're providing here, so they really are blameless if people buy it anyway.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

V_Arnold

I am sorry to have to ask you this question, but do you actually watch these panels? Because it looks like a lot of assumptions that these panels are nothing more than glorified press releases for which we will need the journalist's wit to decipher the true message. They are not. They are entertaining presentations of game design, lore, balancing, and everything in between. If you are a fan of one of the games being explained in detail, then it is quite unlikely that the mainstream media's "coverage" will satisfy you. Most of those "covering" the event have no depth of knowledge regarding these games.

Let's see when it happens. There will be a GAF thread. I'll tell you how long it takes me to read the Cliff's notes for any given hour-long panel.

You are a living *.zip for presentations? Godlike!

Pacman2k

Did you see how much money people made selling these items back when it was exclusive to attendees?

So did blizzard.

yatesl

When I was deep in to WoW - end of BC, and WotLK until ICC was released - I'd considered buying this a number of times.

The people who buy this are likely the people who almost exclusively play WoW, every night. Raid, alts, whatever. Say what you want about the game now, but that environment breeds a passionate person.

$40 to see a bunch of stuff relating to what you're passionate about - and, crucially, that in game pet - isn't a massive ask.

"Hey, that's just one large Dominos order for a couple of people."

Lain

I don't see what's the problem with Blizzard selling virtual tickets to people so they can follow Blizzcon over the internet. It also doubles as a good way for people that can't attend to still gain access to the goodies bag, which is a nice incentive.
If I had the money to spend, I'd buy one myself.

fresquito

I have a friend that buys it every year. Of course he buys everything Blizzard releases and says everything Blizzard says.

Mongers charging their junkies for shit; nothing new under the sun.

Kenai

This time next year you'll prolly be able to sell the Murkalot pet code alone for at least that much.

If I had a substantial amount of extra income right now, I'll probably bite as well. But I don't so I won't.

Hylian7

This isn't even remotely comparable.
Yes it is. The International is basically "Dotacon" so to speak. You get all that stuff, fun online events to participate in (like trading player cards to complete teams in your Compendium to upgrade your courier), predictions, fantasy Dota, a battle booster that lasted over two months (basically gets you more frequent and rarer cosmetic items).

So you didn't want to pay $10 for a Compendium? That's fine too. Either way you can watch all the matches of the tournament in-game for free as well as the same high quality, high production value streams as everyone else, Compendium-owning or not, watches.

On top of that, part of the proceeds went directly into the prize pool for the tournament.

Alvarez

Banned
I would buy the Virtual Ticket without the Blizzcon goodies if it was 5 dollars. 5 dollars for a crystal clear, no-lag Blizzcon stream with multiple camera angles? Full coverage of the whole event, no Twitch chat, and no Twitch stream constantly being shut down/going offline? Sure. Trying to watch stuff like Blizzcon/E3 on a free stream has ALWAYS been a total fucking nightmare.

But 40 dollars? No.

This is really gross and I hope it fails miserably

It won't, unfortunately.

I don't either OP

I believe it exists because activision/blizzard

I just don't believe people buy them...
Then again online paywall is a thing and I still can't believe that either

consumers are stupid

Of course it's a revenue stream. The target audience, WoW lifers, would pay double for half the value. For them it's like the biggest pay-per-view sports event of the year - a social/cultural zenith and a talking point for weeks to come, and it comes with unique memorabilia so they can prove they were there. I don't even want to think how many tickets they sell.

sobaka770

Banned
Buying their ticket all the time.

Is it pricey - yes.

Is it worth it? - It depends!

I like Blizzard games, I played WoW (not anymore for 4 years though), I like SC2 and D3. I want to watch the final SC2 tournament, the panels, the announcements and live streams of new games such as Hearthstone and Heroes of the Swarm with the best quality and no downtime.

Twitch stream is free, but laggy and unreliable. I had never such a problem with the Blizzcon stream.

Surely, I'm not the majority of people, but Blizzcon is for Blizzard hardcore fans mostly, so if you're okay with reading the news here on Gaf or on IGN it's okay. If Blizzard can provide me, a big fan, a great weekend for 40$, then it's all worth the money.

Ertai

I bought it.

I cant go to Blizzcon, but this way I can see all the panels they have there.

Come at me GAF.

Same here, i really like the panels and discussions but can't attend the con since i live on the other side of the planet. I feel like i get my moneys worth so i buy it, no hassle and it always works flawlessly.

mclem

Yes, I assume Blizzard will have one free stream as usual, but they're also making sure much of the real good stuff is locked behind the paywall.

It depends what you want from it, really. The opening ceremony is where actual announcements generally get made - the big promotional push - and that's always been free for everyone. I'm comfortable with reading transcripts from the various panels, it's an easier way - generally - to take in the important information.

Tacitus_

I don't either OP

I believe it exists because activision/blizzard

I just don't believe people buy them...
Then again online paywall is a thing and I still can't believe that either

consumers are stupid

Yes,how stupid of them to pay for a weekend of entertainment!

Xater

I don't think the existence of it is bad, I just think it's overpriced. If it was 15 to 20 bucks I would probably get it. At this price no way.

Atrophis

This is not some case of greedy Blizz and dumb Blizz fans. It is fans wanting to see the content that would not be available to them if this ticket were not made.

All of which would only be true if every other game company also charged for access to this kind of stuff. Except thats not the case. You can go watch every panel at each EVE fanfest completely for free. Same for every other company that holds this kind of event that I can think of.

mclem

All of which would only be true if every other game company also charged for access to this kind of stuff. Except thats not the case. You can go watch every panel at each EVE fanfest completely for free. Same for every other company that holds this kind of event that I can think of.

Well, yes. The complaint seems to be largely that Blizzard are popular enough to be capable of selling tickets, really.

Top Bottom