• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still can't believe Virtual Tickets to Blizzcon is a thing

la_briola

Yes it is. The International is basically "Dotacon" so to speak. You get all that stuff, fun online events to participate in (like trading player cards to complete teams in your Compendium to upgrade your courier), predictions, fantasy Dota, a battle booster that lasted over two months (basically gets you more frequent and rarer cosmetic items).

So you didn't want to pay $10 for a Compendium? That's fine too. Either way you can watch all the matches of the tournament in-game for free as well as the same high quality, high production value streams as everyone else, Compendium-owning or not, watches.

On top of that, part of the proceeds went directly into the prize pool for the tournament.

Indeed.

It's better than the $49.99 that DirectTV users have to pay to watch the same stream and get the same items.

I've bought the virtual tickets in the past and as long as Blizzard has plenty of new stuff to show, it can be worth the purchase. The last blizzcon wasn't all that good and the stream was full of filler. This year we've got a possible new WoW expansion, Diablo expansion and probably new info about the last SC2 expansion.

Zalifer

Neo Member
CCP do something similar with their fanfest. There are full price tickets, to attend in person (which can be purchased using real world money, or via PLEX, which means if you have enough in game money, you can buy the ticket with that. Someone else pays real world money for the PLEX though, so they still make real money).

They offer the entire event streamed in SD for anyone to watch on their EVE TV service. You can also pay a single PLEX or $20 to get access to their HD stream, and get some goodies in game, like an event t-shirt, maybe a small ship with a special skin.

I like that you get the video for free, and then optionally pay for goodies and HD, and have paid for it once or twice. I don't mind supporting them.

I do think there is something a little wrong with actually locking content away from people who don't pay, and not letting them watch the announcements and the devs talk.

jaaz

Cross promoting stuff like they've nearly always have. Nothing new. Did you miss Grunty the Murloc Marine?

I must have. I started playing at launch but I haven't played in a long time. I don't remember pets with such ridiculous names and art like this. Certainly not during vanilla.

mclem

I must have. I started playing at launch but I haven't played in a long time. I don't remember pets with such ridiculous names and art like this. Certainly not during vanilla.

YvRQNIo.jpg

Tacitus_

But that's A LOT better than a murloc with a sword and a shield, armor and a name to resemble Lancelot from the King Arthur stories...

Say hello to Grunty & Deathy!
HCAj71g.jpg
zXKPcas.jpg

It was supposedly leaked by a Chinese forum a few days ago (the same one that did all the Cata and MoP leaks before the reveal of either), it's supposed to be an Elite Tauren Chieftain.

Oh fuck. If it's that, I may need to purchase access after all .______.

Top Bottom