• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I talked to Reggie today about VC, GoldenEye, Nunchuk bundles, Update Post #203

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Pennant Chase was supposedly canned because it wasn't any good.

This line up is kind of boring. Bring on the Revolution. Maybe there are some surprise 3rd party stuff that really merits attention.

Goldeneye won't be on Wii as far as Microsoft is concerned, so quit dreaming. EA had the license for years, and you don't think they would have released a port of the game if they could? It takes three to tango in this case.

rage1973

This does not bode well for Nintendo especially considering that Sony and Microsoft are bringing so many good games out in 2007. I haven't seen anything coming out from third party for the Wii to sway my thinking that Wii will suffer the same fate as Gamecube. It will be at best a decent second console purchase because of long software droughts.

Kafel

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Jan: WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Wii Play
Feb: Mario Strikers Charged
March: Mario Party 8
April: Metroid Prime 3, Pokemon Battle Revolution
May: Battalion Wars II, Big Brain Academy Wii
June: Super Mario Galaxy
July: Project HAMMER, Wii Music
August: Disaster, Forever Blue hahaha
September: Fire Emblem: GoD
October: Super Paper Mario
November: Super Smash Bros Brawl
December: ???

Good list though.

December = Dog Island in Japan, Animal Crossing won't be ready.

The question really is who owns the game code for GoldenEye. My understanding is Nintendo paid for the GoldenEye license as such should own the game code itself (in this situation Rare is only the contracter to supply content for the publisher being Nintendo).

Aside from that there may also be issues regarding how older Bond movie titles can be used. Ie: Activision has the Bond license, but are they allowed to use it for older Bond movies like GoldenEye? Can they use Pierce Brosnan's likeness?

I'm pretty sure EA had to pay extra to be able to use Sean Connery's likeness in that retro-era Bond game they did.

That and how much of a cut would Activision want for a GoldenEye VC download? They did pay an awful lot of money to EA to get the franchise, they probably would want a sizable return.

I highly doubt Super Mario Galaxy will be released around Christmas of 2007. I've no doubt in my mind that Super Smash Brothers Brawl is going to be their holiday 2007 title. Mario will come sooner.

Also, do you people honestly think Goldeneye holds up today? I can't see it being any fun at all. I expect a lot more from FPS games these days.

Anyhoo, nice interview, stephentotilo.

Yeah I really think Nintendo probably feels Smash Bros. Brawl is their big 2007 title, not Mario Galaxy.

Although I suppose one could have November, while the other could take December. Nintendo usually does not release two BIG releases like that so close to each other though.

It maybe more likely that Mario Galaxy comes out around August/September like Mario Sunshine did. Come to think of it, Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 also came out in August/September .... I don't think Nintendo has ever released a new Mario as their big November title.

Super Mario World - August 1991
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - August/Sept. 1995
Super Mario 64 - Sept 1996
Super Mario Sunshine - August 2002

Grecco said:
Microsoft cant do anything about it.... they dont own the James Bond Liscence.

Rare (and now Microsoft) owns the code, I believe. Otherwise, I think EA would have re-released the game at some point during their ownership of the license.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Schwowsers said:
I highly doubt Super Mario Galaxy will be released around Christmas of 2007. I've no doubt in my mind that Super Smash Brothers Brawl is going to be their holiday 2007 title. Mario will come sooner.

Also, do you people honestly think Goldeneye holds up today? I can't see it being any fun at all. I expect a lot more from FPS games these days.

.. Which is why it wasn't made "these days".

So do you have trouble playing Mega Man 2 because games like Mega Man Zero 2 exists?

NintendosBooger said:
Rare (and now Microsoft) owns the code, I believe. Otherwise, I think EA would have re-released the game at some point during their ownership of the license.

I don't think we really know for sure who owns the code or not. Rare definitely did not purchase the GoldenEye license back in 1994 though, I know that. Nintendo paid for it. In which case they should retain ownership of the code, like they do with games such as Donkey Kong Country.

omg rite said:
.. Which is why it wasn't made "these days".

So do you have trouble playing Mega Man 2 because games like Mega Man Zero 2 exists?

No, I don't have trouble playing most older games. It's just that I think FPS games in particular have come a long way since Goldeneye.

Just for reference I think this was Nintendo's 2002 lineup (complete) for the GameCube

NBA Courtside 2002 (Jan or Feb '02?)
Eternal Darkness (June '02)
Super Mario Sunshine (August '02)
Animal Crossing (Sept. '02)
Star Fox Adventures (Oct '02)
Metroid Prime (Nov '02)

I'm going off the top of my head, but yes, I think Nintendo only release six 1st/2nd party titles total in 2002 for the GC. The Wii should get at least double that.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about NBA Courtside 2002.

NintendosBooger said:
It's possible that Nintendo owns the code.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
soundwave05 said:
I don't like the Rare sale any longer to be honest. Yeah they're slow in making games, but they've picked up the pace (PD0 + Kameo last fall, Viva Pinata this fall, Banjo-Threeie next fall?) and the virtual console issues would've been a lot easier to iron out.

PD0 and kameo were in development for a long time. i wouldnt call that picking up the pace. rare definitely releases games in spurts though.

Hero

Here's hoping that Super Mario Galaxy hits in Q2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be the Wii 'must-have' of holiday 07 so that'll be out in November, with Metroid Prime 3 being out maybe in September?

Would love to the know the status of:

Kirby GCN (thought someone said it got ported to Wii, or was it canned totally?)
Fire Emblem
Super Paper Mario

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nintendo had promised something called Virtual Console Mondays for the Wii, a weekly release of vintage games downloadable onto the Wii. This past Monday only saw one new title added to Virtual Console. "On every Monday, you can expect between one and five titles ... essentially on an ongoing basis." Fils-Aime said the company is still planning to release about 30 titles by the end of the calendar year. That's about 20 fewer than Nintendo is releasing in Japan, which Fils-Aime said is because some games "may make perfect sense in Japan but we don't think in our marketplace have a lot of potential."

WHAT THE **** NINTENDO? Release the ****ing downloadable games and stop dicking us around.

I would guess maybe something like this

Super Paper Mario - April/May
Metroid Prime 3 - May
Super Mario Galaxy - August/September
Smash Bros. Brawl - November

Nintendo is probably also working on a ton of Wii "Lifestyle" titles (ala Touch Generations for the DS). Remember Mr. Miyamoto talked about a game where you pass the controller around and it calls out your name and gives you specific information for example.

Look for Wii Channels themselves to also become almost like software releases. Mii Space Channel, Wii Cooking, Wii Beauty, etc. could all be specific channels that offer content. Nintendo may charge for some of these channels.

Mrbob

Hero said:
Here's hoping that Super Mario Galaxy hits in Q2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be the Wii 'must-have' of holiday 07 so that'll be out in November, with Metroid Prime 3 being out maybe in September?

Would love to the know the status of:

Kirby GCN (thought someone said it got ported to Wii, or was it canned totally?)
Fire Emblem
Super Paper Mario

Reggie already confirmed Metroid Prime 3 will be out before Mario Galaxy.

I'm guessing March 2007 for MP3.

Oh and Reggie yeah I'm sure USA gamers don't want the VC classics that Japan is getting on day one. Yeah why would we want those when we can have SOCCER and ICE HOCKEY.

Why do I get this feeling NoA is going to screw up the VC like MS has screwed up XBLA?

soundwave05 said:
I don't think we really know for sure who owns the code or not. Rare definitely did not purchase the GoldenEye license back in 1994 though, I know that. Nintendo paid for it. In which case they should retain ownership of the code, like they do with games such as Donkey Kong Country.

I don't think that's the case. Has any game, developed by a future departing Nintendo 2nd party, been re-released by Nintendo alone, either as a standalone or part of a compilation ala Super Mario Allstars? Super Mario RPG? (Square) Donkey Kong Country? Donkey Kong Racing? (Rare)

I think with FPS, I don't think you can rush them on the Wii. A developer is really going to have to sit down and really think about what they're doing control wise and use a lot of trial and error to get things right.

Taking a regular FPS engine and slapping Wiimote controls onto it is decent ... but I think we're seeing it's just not the best way to go about things.

NintendosBooger said:
I don't think that's the case. Has any game, developed by a future departing Nintendo 2nd party, been re-released by Nintendo alone, either as a standalone or part of a compilation ala Super Mario Allstars? Super Mario RPG? (Square) Donkey Kong Country? Donkey Kong Racing? (Rare)

Wasn't it confirmed that Mario RPG will be on the virtual console?

Things like EDIT: Excitebike 64 on the N64 then wouldn't be able to be released either on virtual console, because the developer (Left Field) is no longer with Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn't do compilations in general. Super Mario All-Stars is really the only time I can think of in the past 12-13 years they've done that.

Mrbob

soundwave05 said:

Things like Excitetruck 64 on the N64 then wouldn't be able to be released either on virtual console, because the developer (Left Field) is no longer with Nintendo.

I hope this isn't the case. I want Excitebike 64.

soundwave05 said:

Things like Excitetruck 64 on the N64 then wouldn't be able to be released either on virtual console, because the developer (Left Field) is no longer with Nintendo.

Not that I know of, but you're probably right. It's also possible that those games will be on VC under the collective auspices of Nintendo and those developers. Guess we'll find out sooner or later.

AntMurda

What a ridiculous argument. You can't compare Super Mario RPG or Excitebike 64 to Goldeneye 007. The former are clearly owned by Nintendo as mentioned in the copyright.

Goldeneye 007 is a completely different matter and I still think Nintendo owns the code as the publisher and licensee. Developers mean nothing. There are millions of games not coded by SEGA or Nintendo that are re-released all the time by the same publishers.

ant1532

Banned
Wow, just actually read the interview, and that was great. Everything sounds promising, now all we need is Nintendo to actually to pull it off.

Christmas bonuses for my Miis? Yay!

Online coming very early in 07'? I hope that means at LEAST by February.

Awesome work Stephen, keep it up!

AntMurda said:
What a ridiculous argument. You can't compare Super Mario RPG or Excitebike 64 to Goldeneye 007. The former are clearly owned by Nintendo as mentioned in the copyright.

Goldeneye 007 is a completely different matter and I still think Nintendo owns the code as the publisher and licensee. Developers mean nothing. There are millions of games not coded by SEGA or Nintendo that are re-released all the time by the same publishers.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but can you list a few examples?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
What is the christmas bonus for miis thing about? I can't see the interview cause im at work.

Ecco the Dolphin which was released on the VC today I believe was coded by another dev house, not Sega internally. I could be wrong on that though.

AntMurda

It doesn't matter if the game was developed internally or externally. It's about who owns the ip. A game can be developed internally with the IP belonging to another publisher or company. A game can be developed externally with the IP belonging to the publisher no matter who the developer is.

Look how many IPs Microsoft and SONY own. A catalogue stemming from dozens of developers both financially and not financially related.

AntMurda said:
It doesn't matter if the game was developed internally or externally. It's about who owns the ip. A game can be developed internally with the IP belonging to another publisher or company. A game can be developed externally with the IP belonging to the publisher no matter who the developer is.

Look how many IPs Microsoft and SONY own. A catalogue stemming from dozens of developers both financially and not financially related.

Yeah that's what I think. Also the GoldenEye license was purchased rather early on in the Nintendo-Rare relationship, I think just after DKC had come out.

I'm not sure if Rare had signed up to have the rights to any of their game content at that point. By 1997/98 they had changed it so that Rare was publishing (or really "co publishing") some of their games, but GoldenEye was waaaaay before that in terms of when the rights were purchased, at which point Rare was just some piddly little developer that was working under Nintendo on projects that Nintendo OKed.

IIRC, GoldenEye I think was initially going to be a SNES game.

JavyOO7

I don't care when Super Mario Galaxy comes out as long as it surpasses SMB3 and SM64. Nintendo should strive for the same insumounterable quality that they achieved with Twilight Princess with Super Mario Galaxy. I want Super Mario to blow me away. I don't want another Sunshine. NEW Super Mario Bros. is my GOTY as of right now because Nintendo took all the time in the world to make that game the most awesome shit since SM64/SMW.

Honestly, the Nintendo Tokyo team I have no faith in. Yes they created DK: JB which was a good game in itself. But this is Mario. Mario is my favorite vg character and obviously my favorite video game series. I don't want Sunshine part 2. I want a Mario that when I browse through GAF or I talk to my gamer friends they tell me "Holy shit this is the best Mario ever!". If Nintendo sees that they're about to release Sunshine 2, then I ****ing hope they can that shit because to me thats just as bad if not worth than Shadow the Hedgehog FFS. But now if they have a Mario thats superbly fun, that every jump you do illicits a child-like joy in your heart, every 1-up you receive is asking you to progress further in the game, every new power up makes you even more badass, and platforming play that is challenging but yet asking you for more... thats what I want. I expect honestly nothing less. My expections are high? Way so, and I know even irrationally so. But if there's a Sunshine: the blithering coming out next year, then I know that Nintendo does not care about the Mario franchise and all they care about is Zelda.

I think Mario Galaxy will be better than Mario Sunshine ... but better than Mario 3 and Super Mario 64 ... I dunno about that. Even today, those are still two very, very good games.

Amir0x

Banned
I think Mario Sunshine is better than Super Mario 64, so I don't have any trouble imagining Galaxy will be better if they have more dev time :)

So what would be left for 08?:
Mario Kart Wii
Animal Crossing (don't think it'll make 07)
Star Fox
Donkey Kong (are there any DK adventure/platformer games anymore?)
F-Zero
Zelda Wii (might make it)
Pikmin
Kid Icarus?

Major 3rd Party Exclusive Titles likely released in 07:
Dragon Quest Swords
RE: Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Disaster
The Sims

2008 and Beyond:
Heroes
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Fabula Nova Crystallis game? (definitely a good chance IMO)
Castlevania?

Yeah that's not too impressive a 3rd party lineup compared to 360 or PS3 but it seems many big names are still skeptical (Cap, EA, Activision, Konami, etc.)

And I'm sure FE fans will eat up the old games if they release them on NA VC. The fanbase is likely large enough to pay off the localization costs. At least put something major out that was only released in JP to see how it does.

We don't know how the 3rd party situation will play out.

You have to remember at the start of this year, when a lot of decisions were being made, most people thought the PS3 would be $399.99 tops and launch in summer 2006 easily with a bigger quantity of systems than the 360 did.

The PS3 launch this year has pretty much been a no-go ... it really won't launch in mass quantities until 2007.

Meanwhile, the Wii is proving to be quite a red hot item this Christmas in North America and likely will be in Japan and Europe as well.

Doesn't surprise me when EDGE Magazine reported that Sega was scrambling to get devs on the Wii and off the PS3 for the time being. This situation could be happening at any number of developers. Sony didn't offically delay until 2007 ... but they really might as well have with their supply issues.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
I think Mario Sunshine is better than Super Mario 64, so I don't have any trouble imagining Galaxy will be better if they have more dev time :)
I just hope they bring back the throw King Koopa by his tail somehow from Super Mario 64. I never liked the whole ground pounding a switch thing. I like more interaction with the boss then pressing a switch that kills him.

300px-N64_Super_Mario_64_bowser_tail.jpg

I also like the fat and short look for bowser.

just give me the Opera browser / Internet Channel, and tell me EAD is hard at work on the next Zelda, the one being fully designed for Wii. that's all i wanna know.

Amir0x

Banned
ant1532 said:
I just hope they bring back the throw King Koopa by his tail somehow from Super Mario 64. I never liked the whole ground pounding a switch thing. I like more interaction with the boss then pressing a switch that kills him.

what i want, is a much better lead up to Bowser in general

in Sunshine, the last segment was underwhelming to say the least...

I wouldn't be opposed to a "director's cut" of Super Mario Sunshine ... Nintendo did say they were going to re-release some GC titles with Wii controls. Maybe they could some of the issues the game had towards the later levels too and bundle it as a pre-order bonus for Galaxy.

One big problem with Sunshine is it always had to be in the shadow of Mario 64 ... it just never could break away from that.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
what i want, is a much better lead up to Bowser in general

in Sunshine, the last segment was underwhelming to say the least...
hell yeah it was. Seriously, wtf?

And it felt like Nintendo had a poll at NST for what and where the last boss should be.

Seriously... a hot bath lol?

And please no more voice acting

Grecco said:
Kinda hard when Goldeneye was released what 1995? Thats pretty odd.

The signed the license for GoldenEye in 1994. The movie came out in November 1995. Rare was working on the game before the movie came out though, because they were allowed on set and used blueprints from the production designer of the movie and what not. I think they briefly thought about doing it as an SNES title, but then decided to change it to a FPS on the N64.

I think the timeline goes like this. In 1994, Nintendo had Rare working on Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct using their ACM graphics technique that had wowwed Howard Lincoln.

One of the designers at Rare was a big fan of the James Bond films and wanted to do a game based on the upcoming movie which was in development called GoldenEye.

Nintendo, pleased with Rare's work on KI and DKC, purchased the Bond license for some insanely cheap amount, since the Bond franchise at that point was pretty under the radar. It would take Rare 3 years to get the game done, but when it was finished ... suffice to say, it became one of Nintendo's biggest surprise hits.

But by that time the price of the Bond franchise, successfully relaunched with two Brosnan Bond films (Tomorrow Never Dies would follow in 1997) had skyrocketed. Nintendo tried to re-buy the rights for future Bond films but was unsuccessful.

Top Bottom