• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I talked to Reggie today about VC, GoldenEye, Nunchuk bundles, Update Post #203

Drakken

Regardless of how well it actually holds up, Goldeneye would be extremely successful on the VC. Everyone should know that.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey guys,

I'm glad to see so many people found the interview interesting. I've noticed one pretty common comment here on Gaf and elsewhere about his dismissal of missing VC titles as games that are not suited for the American audience. How does that explain the ommission of a Mario game people have wondered.

As a result, I'm updating the story to address that question:

[UPDATE: Readers have noted that some game slated for Wii Virtual Console in Japan and not for the U.S. by year’s end include surefire American favorites like “Super Mario World.” On Tuesday Fils-Aime had addressed that point: “I do think here in the Americas we want to be a bit more strategic in how we use the titles… if there’s a month where we don’t have a fantastic line-up of Nintendo packaged software that’s where I want to release a great SNES game or a great N64 game to maintain the momentum.”]

Baryn

Banned
This is a much better year one line-up compared to some other recently released consoles...

stephentotilo said:
"...if there’s a month where we don’t have a fantastic line-up of Nintendo packaged software that’s where I want to release a great SNES game or a great N64 game to maintain the momentum.”
explode

RaidenZR

It's going to work, too. It's a good business move, even though it'll anger lots of us waiting.

We will be growing old waiting on our VC favorites.

Gigglepoo

Amir0x said:
At this rate i guess it will be 2010 before i see Tetris Attack :(

As much as your hate the idea, wouldn't it be cool to have a leaderboard for this? And I'd love some two-player online...

Amir0x

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
As much as your hate the idea, wouldn't it be cool to have a leaderboard for this? And I'd love some two-player online...

I don't hate the idea! I love that idea! I would love online and leaderboards for Tetris Attack. Why do you think I hate it?

White Man said:
Are you kidding? With as many holes as Nintendo's lineup has traditionally had, you'll have Tetris Attack by March.

:lol

Ok, you got me. But seriously, if you ask me the Wii lineup ALREADY has some holes... PLUS Japan has the same type of launch lineup we have - only with MORE like Wario Ware AND Wii Play - and they're still getting 50 VC games before the end of the year. So this just smells of typically lame Nintendo :p

thefro

radioheadrule83 said:
The GoldenEye issue is very interesting. Certainly Rare were Nintendo when development took place, Nintendo owned them and published the game. At the time, they were the owners leasing the rights. I think the main hitches won't involve Rare or Microsoft at all. They'll be:

1) its an MGM film license. MGM are now owned by Sony Pictures.
2) Do the Flemming estate have any say? It wasn't a book, but its his character.
3) The current game rights are held by Activision? (thats new to me btw)

Sony only owns 20% of MGM, and furthermore, they don't control the Bond license... it's Danjaq/EON (owned by the Broccoli family, the producers of the movies).

The Fleming Estate has no say. They seem to only be in control of the novels and the literary side of things.

The current game rights are held by EA and Activision... EA's deal expires in 2007 I believe and then Activision will have exclusive rights to make Bond games.

Nintendo is going to get ****ing pwnt if they rely too much on that VC. Everybody's played their old games like a jillion times.

Ristamar

stephentotilo said:
[UPDATE: Readers have noted that some game slated for Wii Virtual Console in Japan and not for the U.S. by year’s end include surefire American favorites like “Super Mario World.” On Tuesday Fils-Aime had addressed that point: “I do think here in the Americas we want to be a bit more strategic in how we use the titles… if there’s a month where we don’t have a fantastic line-up of Nintendo packaged software that’s where I want to release a great SNES game or a great N64 game to maintain the momentum.”]

So why do they have to be "more strategic" here and not in Japan? Lucky bastards.

Baryn

Banned
buhmachine said:
Nintendo is going to get ****ing pwnt if they rely too much on that VC. Everybody's played their old games like a jillion times.
What about the kids who are receiving Wii for Christmas?

First-time gamers?

Casuals?

Baryn

Banned
buhmachine said:
If they didn't play the games before, why would they play them now?
They didn't know the games existed, the games weren't available to them, they weren't born, etc.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
buhmachine said:

I think you might underestimate the selling power of their old games.

However, I also hope they don't lean to heavily on them. We should see the upside (THE ONLY UPSIDE) to having the low powered console, new big titles should come pretty quick, most companies should be already basically experts at coding for the wii if it's as similar to the GC as it sounds like it is.

EDIT:
If they didn't play the games before, why would they play them now?

they wouldn't, nobody would ever play a game they have never played before if it's older than 2 months old. It's a universal rule and nintendos business model is faulty.

I'm also astounded that people are surprised that they will stagger their title releases. None of us have to like it, but if you think about it even for 1 SECOND, it's incredibly obvious that it will happen. I mean, I didn't go to business school and I saw this coming when the thing was first announced.

Snaku

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
wait holding back VC games for dry seasons? :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO oooooo oooOOOOOO!

I can't believe people find this surprising. When the line up of 2006 VC games was unveiled, and when they were being released at such an extremely slow rate, it became pretty apparent that this is what Nintendo was doing.

****ing sucks ass though. We'll be seeing Earthbound, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, etc. in precisely....never.

I can see first-time gamers downloading the Mario and Zelda, but the rest... well, that's an acquired taste. A lot of old games are too hard for newbz. The VC could end up being awesome though, but Nintendo shouldn't rely on it.

Amir0x

Banned
Souldriver said:
Jesus Christ! Is whining you're life purpose or what?
Unbe'frickin'lievable

*smacks forehead*

How about this. The next time you quote something about me to attack me as an individual, you're gonna get banned. This is what keeps derailing threads.

I support NOA in its decision to keep the stupid ass Mother games from our shining shores, because I mean, if you like Earthbound, you're not an American imo.

Amir0x

Banned
buhmachine said:
I support NOA in its decision to keep the stupid ass Mother games from our shining shores, because I mean, if you like Earthbound, you're not an American imo.

this is also a bannable offense, for future reference ;)

Amir0x said:
*smacks forehead*

How about this. The next time you quote something about me to attack me as an individual, you're gonna get banned. This is what keeps derailing threads.

And your sarcastic trolling isn't? Comon, I know you're a mod, but you've got to take 2 steps back and look at your posting. While I have nothing against it, you have got to know that you are most of the time the source of the derailing.

Deku

Banned
I'm reminded of the flak Reggie got for packaging Wii Spots with the Wii.

I think ideally, the launch lineup needs to be more robust, but since that's behind us, I'm not going ot harp on that anymore. But the idea of having big VC launches around the slow months is a fairly strong idea and it will work.

Also comparing the JP VC lineup to the NA lineup misses the fact that Japanese gamers are probably looking forward to other set of titles and their VC wishlist will be different from NA gamers. The grass is greener on the other side of the fence and all that.

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
Also comparing the JP VC lineup to the NA lineup misses the fact that Japanese gamers are probably looking forward to other set of titles and their VC wishlist will be different from NA gamers. The grass is greener on the other side of the fence and all that.

Well, you don't think that the lineup of games for Japan launch - Zelda, Trauma Center, Monkeyball, Wario Ware, WiiPlay - is comparable in quality/anticipation as the US launch, and that the "VC wishlist" will at the very least both include games like Super Mario World?

It doesn't seem to have much reason to the rhyme, as it were, which makes it all the odder. It's one thing to not get Fire Emblem. It's quite another to not get Super Mario World (or any main Mario platformer), even though it has been shown playable in the past :p

Gigglepoo

Amir0x said:
I don't hate the idea! I love that idea! I would love online and leaderboards for Tetris Attack. Why do you think I hate it?

My mistake

We can all agree that Tetris Attack should come to the VC with online play. And Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo needs to go to XBLA.

Amir0x

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
My mistake

We can all agree that Tetris Attack should come to the VC with online play. And Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo needs to go to XBLA.

I would take Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo anywhere! That's also one of my favorite games of all time.

Seems we have similar taste, Mr. Gigglepoo

Gigglepoo said:
How was Rare able to release Facility and Temple in Perfect Dark Zero? I don't think it's as simple as you think.

Because the ownership of something like a map layout is vague and because there was no good reason for Nintendo to take them to task for it? Also, aren't both also included in PD for N64, which Rare did retain the full rights to?

I really don't get where people get this idea that Rare somehow has any say about projects they did under contract for Nintendo. Work-for-hire is standard in the industry except where people negotiate extraordinary contracts to retain rights, and such a contract would have been unlikely on a licensed project like GE. Not to mention that the intent of the sale contract was to produce as few tangles on game rights as possible -- Nintendo gave up all rights to things like BK and PD so Rare could freely develop those properties in the future, and retained all rights to Nintendo-owned or licensed IP so they could make use of those products safely in the future without further consultation with Rare.

Mrbob

Deku said:

Yeah because we don't want Contra 3, Super Castlevania 4, LTTP, or Super Mario World on day one. :/

ronito

Well, I wish I could say it was surprising. Just Nintendo doing what's best for Nintendo, can we really expect them to do anything else?

Mashing

I don't worry about the Nintendo games on the VC as we'll get them eventually (plus it's not like they are new gaming experiences so you shoudln't be "hyped" for them). On the otherhand I do worry about 3rd party releases. But this has already been hit upon so I'm just reiterating what has already been said. Reggie's comments doesn't give me any more faith in good 3rd party games showing up.

Deku

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah because we don't want Contra 3, Super Castlevania 4, LTTP, or Super Mario World on day one. :/
I thought LLTP and Super Dracula was coming out in NA on Dec 2, same day they go live in Japan?

But Dracula isn't exactly a hot property in Japan, it would be more inline with being their Solomon's key.

I could think of a franchise that many VC gamers there want. Here's a hint, It's a bout a Dragon Quest.

Top Bottom