• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think it's time to shed the idea that Street Fighter V is a bad game.

Dartastic

I kinda feel like I'm inspired to make this thread after the Evo Top 8 last night. I've been playing the game since it launched, and while I can agree that the launch was AWFUL, the game itself is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, and the Capcom hate is ridiculous and out of control.

Firstly, almost every single problem that the game had at launch has been addressed, outside of the request for an arcade mode. In my opinion, that doesn't really matter anyway, because you can just play survival mode for an "arcade" experience and if you care about story, you'll just play the story mode. Online has been improved. Modes have been added. Online metrics are better.

It also feels like there are so many common complaints. "The game is entirely offense based, there aren't many options, blah blah blah." To that I just really wonder if people actually watched Evo this year, or if they really actually give a shit about the game at all. Yeah, the game puts an emphasis on offense, but not in a broken way. Also, the fact that sooooooooo many people seem to cite pro players and their dislike for the game (despite that their opinion is basically irrelevant due to their inherent bias) is ridiculous.

I'm just going to bold the rest because I know that people probably won't read the entire OP, and I know I can't really adequately communicate everything needed, especially in a forum post.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have problems. I'm just saying that the hate for this game borders on ridiculous, and it's still a really entertaining, really fun game to play.

EVO Top 8, for anyone who actually wants to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec8yHxCT_tk&feature=youtu.be new link that has decent audio.

Orca

What you actually said was that the game has problems but you don't care because they don't bother you. That's fine for you, but don't think it extends past that.

OniBaka

I agree with what you've said, every sfv thread has been toxic.

While I do understand the complaints I think it gets ridiculous.

Amazing top 8 sure.

The game still needs to address the issues it has. While I agree the hate is borderline rediculous, Capcom needs to capitalize on the somewhat goodwill it earned last night if they want to win the public back.

Laiza

Sorry, but nothing is going to get me to put time into the game as long as it sports those character designs (especially the female characters designs, ugh).

I can at least say it was fun to watch that top 8. That's about all I'll give it, though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's not bad but I (in my opinion) think street fighter peaked at 3rd Strike and it's a better game

Exr

I think its fine if SF4 was your first fighter and you dont really have much experience with older games. If you are an older fighting game fan its much easier to see the flaws

In my opinion, that doesn't really matter anyway, because you can just play survival mode for an "arcade" experience

the fact you typed this means that your opinion is invalid and wrong.

Also this is a ridiculous statement you made

Also, the fact that sooooooooo many people seem to cite pro players and their dislike for the game (despite that their opinion is basically irrelevant due to their inherent bias) is ridiculous.

So what are you actually insinuating? Pro players that don't like the game are 'wrong'. Casuals that don't like the game are 'wrong'.

So you are basically trying to say is...if you don't like SFV, you are 'wrong' and only those that like SFV is 'right'.

So much for objectivity.

bluexy

I think there's an argument to be had over the changes Capcom made to gameplay between Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 5, but as a spectator game Street Fighter 5 has been excellent since day one. It's faster and flashier than SF4, but also conveys movement and action in a much clearer and deliberate way. Hell, it can probably be argued that Capcom made sacrifices in gameplay in order to make a better spectator game. In my opinion as someone who watches a ton of competitive fighting games, but doesn't play much, it's by far the best fighting game out there in terms of just being able to watch.

That's also one of the reasons I'm super excited for Abigail. The huge son of a bitch is going to be so much fun to watch, but probably a pain in the ass to deal with in-game.

remz

Sorry, but nothing is going to get me to put time into the game as long as it sports those character designs (especially the female characters designs, ugh).

What's wrong with the female designs? Seems weird to single them out like that when they're a (relatively) broad group wearing pretty different/unique costumes.

I agree that SFV is good. Playing T7 online has made me realise I had it pretty good over on the SF side lol. Survival mode is garbo but tbh onlien play is my arcade mode replacement.

I kinda feel like I'm inspired to make this thread after the Evo Top 8 last night. I've been playing the game since it launched, and while I can agree that the launch was AWFUL, the game itself is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, and the Capcom hate is ridiculous and out of control.

Firstly, almost every single problem that the game had at launch has been addressed, outside of the request for an arcade mode. In my opinion, that doesn't really matter anyway, because you can just play survival mode for an "arcade" experience and if you care about story, you'll just play the story mode.

You know I heard that a lot during launch.

Ploid 3.0

That's fine, you don't have to like every game.

I really need to watch those top 8s. I usually watch a lot of Evo but I haven't too much last year, and not at all this year (maybe 2 fights).

A good top 8 won't change people's opinions of it.

That said, it's my favorite SF game to play, even if it could use some more system changes.

Atlas157

OP, don't you know? Shit at launch = shit forever. Doesn't matter how many updates it gets to improve the game or add content.

Koeta

I think it's a shame everyone hates on it so much, I don't really think it's a bad game.

I also love that they are only doing 1 SF5, no SUPER ARCADE EDITIONS to keep buying.

kirblar

I think there's an argument to be had over the changes Capcom made to gameplay between Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 5, but as a spectator game Street Fighter 5 has been excellent since day one. It's faster and flashier than SF4, but also conveys movement and action in a much clearer and deliberate way. Hell, it can probably be argued that Capcom made sacrifices in gameplay in order to make a better spectator game.

That's also one of the reasons I'm super excited for Abigail. The huge son of a bitch is going to be so much fun to watch, but probably a pain in the ass to deal with in-game.
The biggest issue with SFV is that they sacrificed too much of SF's classically deliberate pace in order to keep the game's tempo high.

Thankfully, they're slowly dialing back on it, both w/ how the new characters play and w/ balance changes, but some system-wide stuff needs to happen (slower dashes in general, players reset to neutral more often, etc.)

Survival is fucking awful. It is in no way a substitute for an arcade mode.

I think at the end of the day the game just isn't for a lot of us. I wanted a SF game with ArcSys and Netherrealm amounts of single player content, good tutorials and a sizable roster on day one. It seems I was asking for too much since the fgc doesn't care for shit like that anyways.

Eylos

Banned
I like the game what i hate is that the base game has few characters and to unlock all stages, characters you have to fight an insane ammount of fights or pay for it, and its not cheap

Both sides annoy me.

The people who have to defend Capcom even though SFV is overall a lackluster game especially compared to most modern fighting games out there.

and the people who just jump on the bandwagon hate and shit on SFV just cause.

This thread is going to be poop probably.

Also, just because the game had a good top 8 this year, doesn't mean people should just change their opinions on the game. That's silly.

bluexy

I like the game what i hate is that the base game has few characters and to unlock all stages, characters you have to fight an insane ammount of fights or pay for it, and its not cheap

Here's hoping for Super to launch shortly after Capcom Cup with all of that content wrapped into a reasonably priced package.

Renekton

The main issue is simply public goodwill

All fighting games have some mechanical shortcomings, yet even the jankiest systems can still draw a community (see MvC2 and CvS2)

I really liked it at launch, it has only gotten better since then, I just wish I could get back into it.

The only issue I have with the game is the currency system. Yeah, you can get 5000 fight money every week if you do a special attack near the edge of the stage to get the waitress to hit the guy next to her with a tray, but that's just really dumb.

Dartastic

What you actually said was that the game has problems but you don't care because they don't bother you. That's fine for you, but don't think it extends past that.
Wrong. I'm saying that the problems that were most obvious have been addressed. Not that there still aren't problems, but the ridiculous toxic hate that this game has been subject to has been addressed.

JayEH

Been a while since we had a SF5 thread like this. Time to grab some popcorn.

This game really needs Super in order for a fresh start. The bad launch (and problems that are still present) overshadowed the game. A lot of people are rightfully mad at Capcom so it's just easy to hate on the game.

Ever since launch I never found it a bad game at all, it's just not a great runner up to SFIV which cemented itself pretty well in the fighting community... Well, once the final edition came out that is.

Neoxon

While I don't think SFV is bad by any means, I do agree that both Season 2 & the game as a whole has some glaring issues (such as defensive options) that need to be addressed. And while yeah, Capcom has slowly addressed the content issue, Arcade Mode seems to be the last major piece of the single-player puzzle that's missing. Of course, there's also stuff like how the netcode desyncs differently depending on the player that should be touched upon (I'd mention input delay, but Harada's statement on the input delay being an UE4 issue kinda lowers the chances of Capcom being able to do anything about it without Epic stepping in). A relaunch that doubles as a free update for existing owners could really help in shaking off some of the negative stigma that base SFV had since launch, but if that'll happen remains to be seen.

Either way, I can already tell that this thread is gonna get ugly.

SalvaPot

I think its kind of like the Wii U. Its not a bad game by any stretch of the world but it made such a bad first impression and may never recover from it.

Forward

That top 8 was fun to watch due to the players, not the game. As it stood at top 8, Tokido's victory was pretty much written. Good for him. Wish he'd gotten that Evo "W" at a better game.

Purest 78

It's the Top fighting game now and for the foreseeable future in the fighting world. SF just isn't for the casuals anymore. I think Capcom is fine with that SFV Will generate money for years.

So it's either appease to casuals and have your game forgotten in months like injustice2, Or go after the Hardcore and have your game be relevant for years. It's personally my favorite SF ever I haven't cared about Arcade mode since SF2.

Nyoro SF

This criticism confused me as well. I think SFV released with a bunch of missing features, shitty matchmaking, bad performance, etc., but the gameplay itself is more than acceptable.

gablekevin

Neo Member
The problem with the internet opinion nowadays is that if a game has flaws it's automatically shit and not an enjoyable game with issues. Too much hyperbole being thrown around everyday and less actual constructive criticism.

Giolon

Wrong. I'm saying that the problems that were most obvious have been addressed. Not that there still aren't problems, but the ridiculous toxic hate that this game has been subject to has been addressed.

Let it be a lesson to Capcom and all devs and publishers that first impressions really matter, and they stick.

When every other fighting game on the market delivers games with more characters, modes, and better visuals SFV looks bad in comparison. Capcom Wong even tell you what's on the season pass and expects you to buy on blind faith. What's worse, is the fact that they can't even deliver new content on time, skipping whole months. Every other fighter on the market has an answer to SFV's issues, but capcom still can't seem to get it together

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Let it be a lesson to Capcom and all devs and publishers that first impressions really matter, and they stick.

Don't think its only first impressions, personally don't find it fun and watching it is a huge let down from 4. Just lost interest in the fighting mechanics, something just did not feel right to me...

Capcom as they push Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

XgMxw.gif

Dartastic

This is a terible reason to hate the game and it has nothing to do with the actual mechanics. I mean, you do you, but like, come the fuck on.
Uh oh.

I agree, but this won't be pretty
Yep.
the fact you typed this means that your opinion is invalid and wrong.

Also this is a ridiculous statement you made

So what are you actually insinuating? Pro players that don't like the game are 'wrong'. Casuals that don't like the game are 'wrong'.

So you are basically trying to say is...if you don't like SFV, you are 'wrong' and only those that like SFV is 'right'.

So much for objectivity.
I'm saying that pro players are inherently bias due to their desire to progress in the tournament scene. Casuals look to them for their opinion. They have specific, inherent feelings revolving around very, very specific play styles that inherently will clash with any sort of game that comes out in general. When they complain or criticize, those feelings inherently get boosted and people adopt those feelings, regardless of the quality of the game. It's fucking stupid. For the vast, VAST majority of players, pro opinions are irrelevant.
Survival is fucking awful. It is in no way a substitute for an arcade mode.
I mean, yeah, survival can be some bullshit but at the same time, how is it not a substitute for an arcade mode? I agree they should put one in, but the content currently can make up for that. I guess you want an image or two colored with text when you beat Nicalli as a final boss?

Top Bottom