• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think PS3 surpassed the Wii in total software sold, and a look at Sony's PSN sales

*from the past FY. (no thread title space left)*

. I'm starting off this thread with the SW comparison with the Wii.

First, PS3 sold ~600m SW LTD by the end of FY11, and ~153.9M SW in FY12 for PS2/PS3(when Sony started bundling consoles). Considering PS2's insignificance(only 7.9M SW shipped in Fy11), the numbers were mostly thanks to the PS3, that'd put it at >740M by the end of FY12.

The Wii:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/img/data_wii.png
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

For the 3 quarters combined of FY13 Sony platforms are at 283M, already beating the entire last fiscal year by 20M. (Sony platforms sold 126M SW in the last quarter alone, compared to less than 40M for Nintendo.)

The biggest driver of these sales is the PS3, PS4 only contributed 9.7M of this and Vita probably didn't do much better. Considering it's competitor 3DS is just shy of 60M SW but has 5-6x the total install base of the Vita it's safe to say Vita SW is no more than 15-20m and this is an optimistic estimate.

3DS LTD HW 42.74M http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759731
Vita LTD HW ~7.5M http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767186

So this is my guesstimate: If Sony's other active platforms contributed less than 50M for the total SW number, that'd leave PS3 with 230M software shipped and sold through PSN.

With my previous guesstimate for the LTD SW of PS3 at the end of FY12 being ~740M, +230M for Q1+Q2+Q3 FY13
Total PS3 SW numbers= 950-970M

The last known PS3 SW numbers date from FY11 and PS3 shipped 156.6M SW back then.

Sony uses a different methodology from FY13 onwards for their software sales numbers. They now report packaged software(sell-in) and PSN (sell-through) numbers combined. Considering PSN sales are now included which means the numbers will be higher than previous years when only shipped was reported, and big blockbuster titles like GTA V and TLOU
were released in FY13, I think my guesttimate of 200-230M is a very plausible number.

Which brings me to my next point, a look at Sony's PSN sales...

This is a slide from last FY
RSWfol9.jpg

This is a slide from this FY
18_image.jpg

Notice how the SW numbers for FY12 don't match up when you compare them.
FY12 of FY12 slide
Packaged SW(all platforms): 182.7M

FY12 of FY13 slide
Software(retail shipped+digitally sold): 266M

A discrepancy of 83.3M, and this I reckon is the total digital sold number.

LordGouda

Considering the Wii is dead now, it seems kind of hard to not surpass it. Either way, this is pretty neat. Thanks for sharing!

Probably not hard for PS3 or 360 to surpass the Wii going forward. No one is releasing any Wii games as far as I can tell, but most studios are still putting out PS3/360 versions of their games.

But...but...revisionism!

If the PS3 catches up/takes over the Wii in terms of hardware sales as well, some people on this forum will discredit it because the Wii beat the PS3 in the 7th generation console timeline of 2005-2013.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Called this ages ago. One and half years ago the gap between the Wii and PS3 was only 140m software units. The PS3 was closing that gap really quickly (~100m a year), so they ought to have passed them by now. The only question now is can the PS3 reach the 100m hardware units?

But...but...revisionism!

If the PS3 catches up/takes over the Wii in terms of hardware sales as well, some people on this forum will discredit it because the Wii beat the PS3 in the 7th generation console timeline of 2005-2013.

There is absolutely no need for this. Let whatever happens in other threads stay in other threads.

I couldn't find anywhere on Nintendo's site if their digital sales counted towards software sales. I'm leaning towards saying that it doesn't since reports will often explicitly state that digital software is included but I can't know for sure.

The reason I bring this up is that I wonder how much Virtual Console sales factor into it? WiiWare as well, but I have to imagine there was considerably less WiiWare titles sold than there were Virtual Console titles.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's some impressive analysis. It's kind of amazing how the Wii just fell off a cliff.

So did Nintendo's support for the console, so it's not really surprising. After holiday 2010, shit got dire real fast.

"Mario Sports Mix should keep you guys happy for six months, right?"

Sami+

Hope they can keep it up, the PS3 was my favorite console last gen by a very large margin. Would be happy to see it end it's life in first place.

Called this ages ago. One and half years ago the gap between the Wii and PS3 was only 140m software units. The PS3 was closing that gap really quickly (~100m a year), so they ought to have passed them by now. The only question now is can the PS3 reach the 100m hardware units?

I think it will or come very close. PS3 is trending higher than PS1 and that console managed to sell 20M after PS2 came out. Either way PS3 will have a respectable attach ratio, higher than Wii.

Top Bottom