• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 60% of PS4 owners also have a PS Vita

"Sony's PlayStation Vita handheld may still be flagging in terms of sales, but a couple of tidbits of information regarding the device this week have shed some interesting light on how the Vita is being utilized.

According to IGN, Sony revealed at a closed-door meeting this week that 48 percent of PS Vita's game sales are digital. To put that into perspective, digital sales on the Nintendo 3DS -- Vita's closest rival -- currently account for around 9 percent of total game sales on the handheld.

Sony also says that one in three PS Vita owners have bought a PlayStation 4. That's pretty impressive when you consider that Sony has sold around 7.5 million Vitas to date, which means around 2.5 million people own both a PS Vita and a PS4.

It becomes even more impressive to note that 4.2 million PS4s have been sold -- hence, approximately 60 percent of PS4 owners also have a PS Vita, meaning that future potential Vita-PS4 cross functionality will potentially be on Sony's mind right now.

Having said that, Sony says that only around 250,000 people have tried out the Remote Play functionality between Vita and PS4 -- around 10 percent of those people who own both a Vita and a PS4. "

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

Wasn't expecting it to be that high, didnt they say 50% of PS4 owners had plus? that would mean more people have a Vita than plus with PS4.

* For now, given the PS4's small install-base and the fact that Vita has been out for two years.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt this will be the scenario in 2016.

I am probably buying one in Spring. I would really like Sony to just make a stretched out Dualshock 4 with a screen in the middle instead of a touchpad solely used for remote play.

GulAtiCa

Remote Play is very cool. I enjoyed it on the Wii U, and now esp on the PS4. I've really enjoyed playing a PS4 game right before going to bed, since console is downstairs. Haven't gotten it to work over the Internet yet. Not sure why it doesn't work there.

Only thing I hate about Remote Play on PS4 is having to use the back touch panel. I feel it was implemented in a horrible fashion.....

I kinda have a feeling that percentage will start to go down eventually.

Talon

Having said that, Sony says that only around 250,000 people have tried out the Remote Play functionality between Vita and PS4 -- around 10 percent of those people who own both a Vita and a PS4. "
The most important factoid.

They need to do everything they can to keep that percentage high. Even if it's just initially used as a PS4 counterpart, an attach rate like that will do wonders.

BibiMaghoo

7.5m Vita's sold doesn't sound so bad. I know it's been out a while, but that seems kind of lifelike, rather than rotting in a grave.

The way they have worked PS+ means that it is in an subscribers interests, to own all the systems involved. It is clever, and PS+ for online pushes that further. People will buy a Vita because they already have 20 games for the thing. People may by a PS3 for the same reason, or a PS4 because they own one of the other platforms and get games for all of them.

I expect an increase in sales of all these system to coincide with an increase in PS+ subscribers. This is obvious for PS4, but Vita can be sustained by it.

nampad

As expected, Sony fans are the first on board the PS4.

More interesting is the updated number of sold Vitas, 7.5 million.

Cuburt

So then it's likely that PS4's aren't selling people on Vita's and vice versa.

That number would probably speak more to people getting both because of cross-buys/PS+ I would think.

Nymphae

Banned
I was seriously considering selling my PS4 the other day so I could buy another Vita, just for backup. If my PS4 died tomorrow, I wouldn't bat an eye. I'd be a little pissed, but I'm only using it for Netflix right now really, kind of sick of the AAA crap I have (AC4, BF4, KZ, NFS).

I eventually came to my senses and will keep the PS4 for the games I know I'll want down the road, but it was surprising to me that I was actually considering that move, I love the Vita so much.

Trust me, it's excellent.

It's really not lol

Back touch is an awful supplement to L2/R2/L3/R3. I always hit it by accident and it's not comfortable for any function that you have to use a decent amount in games. For instance, intense-D and turbo in NBA 2k14 on back touch, so awful. Would be less of an issue if Sony let us customize the controls but apparently that only works for PS1 lol

GulAtiCa

I have yet to try remote play. Not terribly interested in playing ps4 games on it.

It works really well for most part, esp with some PS4 games knowing you're on Vita and changing their control scheme to fit the Vita. Only thing that sucks IMO is the back panel usage, tiny inputs that aren't that easy to hit correctly.. Otherwise works well. Looks nice too!

It's really not lol

Back touch is an awful supplement to L2/R2/L3/R3. I always hit it by accident and it's not comfortable for any function that you have to use a decent amount in games. For instance, intense-D and turbo in NBA 2k14 on back touch, so awful. Would be less of an issue if Sony let us customize the controls but apparently that only works for PS1 lol
Though I like Remote Play, I agree with this statement, back panel is horrible..

omg_mjd

Early adopters are a self-selecting group. Once the PS4 becomes legitimately mainstream then the ratio of PS4 owners with a Vita will adjust itself to reflect the market at large.

Remote play definitely helps the Vita. What Sony needs to do now is get a NEW God of War, Infamous, Gran Turismo, another Uncharted and Gravity Rush, etc etc on the system.

What, really? That's fucking crazy! I only own a Vita right now, whenever I pick up a PS4 will be great though!

Remote play definitely helps the Vita. What Sony needs to do now is get a NEW God of War, Infamous, Gran Turismo, another Uncharted and Gravity Rush, etc etc on the system.

Gravity Rush 2 is happening, and Infamous is rumored.

zhao3gold

Banned
I am one of them having both Vita and 4.

But I don't find this is an impressive milestone for Sony. Vita's sales is still abysmal... And Did Sony clarified PS+ free games are included in those 48%?

prag16

Banned
Well, that makes sense. The hardcore Sony fans that would have a Vita are bound to overlap heavily with the types of people who are early PS4 adopters.

I think we can expect that percentage to drop precipitously moving forward. Especially since only 10% of Vita/PS4 owners have actually used the devices together, according to Sony.

They are playing it smart.

With making PS+ mandatory for online play everyone is getting free Vita games every month. Couple that with remote play people now have a pretty good incentive to get a Vita.

I don't even have a PS4, but I got a Vita because I had a bunch of free games from PS+ and I know I will be getting a PS4 within a year, so I jumped on it during Black Friday.

Grinchy

Banned
I was just using Remote Play last night to play Don't Starve in bed before going to sleep. Not every game is perfect for RP, but Don't Starve sure as hell is.

RalchAC

7.5 million vitas. Is that a new previously unknown number?

I didn't used all the data available, but people where wondering in the PSN thread about worlwide Vita sales and I put this:

Patcher said Vita sold 4.2 million consoles in 2013 (even if you don't believe his prediction, he is informed about those things).

We know the Vita sold 2.2 million units by June 2012.

We know the Vita sold like 350.000 units from June to December 2012 in Japan.

We know the Vita sold 160.000 units on US 2012 Black Friday.

That means without having the 100% of the data we know it's sold at leat 6.9 million hardware to date.

Look for the info in Google. I've read those numbers in the press, I'm 100% sure I've read those numbers in reliable sites (Media Create was Week 52 2012 LTD - Week 24 2012 LTD, others are press articles read sometime somewhere).

This lacks some data from 2012 but it could be used as a "minimum". Adding 600.000 units more in the last half of 2012 (minus US BF 2012) isn't too unrealistic. I used Parcher because even if his deductions are quite shitty, he has access to some data that we lack.

Slixshot

Banned
waynes-world-excellent-gif.gif

grkazan12

It is pretty great, but quick question to everyone saying they tried it locally and over the internet, isn't ps4 remote play only done over wifi?

Or am I just reading different words meaning the same thing?

saichi

According to IGN, Sony revealed at a closed-door meeting this week that 48 percent of PS Vita's game sales are digital. To put that into perspective, digital sales on the Nintendo 3DS -- Vita's closest rival -- currently account for around 9 percent of total game sales on the handheld.

I like this is phrased on gamasutra. People are going to run with it and make some false assumption around it.

It might be helpful how many VITA owner purchased VITA after PS4 was released. It is nice that 1 in 3 VITA bought a PS4 and 60% PS4 owners have VITA. However, if PS4 release didn't spike VITA ownership, Sony will run out of VITA owners to sell PS4 to.

Also, is the 7.5 million VITA sold number official?

Top Bottom