• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 60% of PS4 owners also have a PS Vita

Anyone still wondering about 7.5 mil, be warned, they are chartz numbers.

I tried to estimate Vita's LTD once, but the post got ignored. I'll try my luck here:

Ok, I've decided to estimate what are the Vita LTD shipments as of date. This is my first time doing anything like this, so please, tell me if I count something wrong.

First off, lets get 2011 out of the way shall we? It was just released in Japan, so we can have good estimate on what Vita has sold in 2011 thanks to our thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457828

Vita's shipped/sold were atleast 439,986 (according to Media Create)

Thanks to the Sony's official results page, we can track down what their Handheld shipments have been.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/

Problematic is that they combine PSP and PSV sales together. For now we can just ignore this. Lets just count what their shipments are.

If I understand correctly, Sony financial year is not the same as normal year. So in order to get 2012s total sales, we need to track period between Q42011-Q32012, as Q4 are results from January-March.

For handhelds(PSV+PSP), this means shipments of:
0.9m + 1.4m + 1.6m + 2.7m = 6,6m

We can do the same for 2013s sales, and handheld(PSV+PSP) sales from Q42012-Q32013:
1.3m + 0.6m + 0.8m + 2.0 m = 4.7m

So total sales from 2011 are(with PSP2012-2013 included):
0.439m + 6.6m + 4.7m = 11.739m

Now we have those pesky PSP sales bothering us. There is small glimmer of hope in this case. Most of PSP sales from 2012-2013 are from Japan, as I assume PSP has not sold much in other countries(PSP wasnt even counted on 2013s NPD's).

Therefore, we can track how much PSP has sold in Japan during period of 2012-2013, thanks to the latest Media Create information:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746506

So we can count PSP's 2012-2013 sales in Japan to be:
20 068 409 - 18 729 393 = 1 339 016 which rounds about 1.339m

We can reduce PSP2012-2013(Japan) from total Handheld sales, so:
11.739m - 1.339m =10.4m

Ultimately, this means that PSVita's maximum LTD sales are:
10.4m aka 10 400 000
However, we need to reduce PSP2012-2013(Other World) sales from this, but as of this moment, it is much harder to get those numbers.

... Hopefully I didnt screw up anything with my calculations. :p

I think it makes sense, people who own a vita are probably hardcore gamers who are more likely to buy a PS4 at launch.

I can't see that percentage going anywhere but down over the life of both products.

vireland

People enthusiastic enough to buy a Vita are also enthusiastic enough to buy a PS4. Color me surprised. This ratio will only plummet from here.

Second screen play will only enhance the lead of the PS4 over the XB1 once more games support it. Much better use of the Vita/PSP than streaming, IMO.

Taker34

Banned
The Vita is a great device, especially with the PS4. Used it as a second controller and it works perfectly. Another pair of shoulder buttons would be much better and more cost efficient than that gimmicky rear touch panel though. Playing next gen games on the toilet is also very exciting.

grimmiq

Bought my Vita last week along with Killzone Mercenary and Soul Sacrifice. Got destroyed Remote playing Shadow Fall multiplayer ;p Will probably try Outlast laying in bed when I'm feeling brave.

Jut

Banned
I was looking for the right reason to get one. Getting a PS4 and the price drop to $200 (w/ a 8 gb card) was reason enough. Love the Vita.

Glad I got the OLED model.

Top Bottom