• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 60% of PS4 owners also have a PS Vita

ghst

thanks for the laugh

that percentage rise with zero context makes a lot more sense when you look at sales charts.

Fergal Gara gon' wave some percentages in your face.

i have this very genuine sense of "i hope dave doesn't read this" every time i talk about vita sales. i just want to tell you that there's a nice farm outside of town which we sent the vita sales to and they're happier than ever.

Mihos

Gold Member
As one of these dual owners I'd tell them not to bother with cross-platform features other than cross-buy and cross-save where it's possible.

I didn't buy a PS4 to use it with my Vita. I wouldn't have bought a Vita to use it with my PS4. I bought them for what they offer themselves, and don't see any value out of gimmicky synergist ideas.

Cross play works fine, I guess. Just not sure why I'd ever want to use it instead of my 50' flat screen. If I'm going to play in bed... I already bought the Vita itself for that. That's the point of it.

Shows how many early adopters are either tech fans or Sony diehards, though.

For the love of god, don't listen to this person.

That percentage will become lower and lower as PS4 sales soar and the Vita slowly dies.

Not surprised by the percentage of digital purchases, I don't own a single physical Vita game.

Raven77

people aren't buying vitas to go with their PS4s - or atleast, very few people are. otherwise we'd see a corresponding rise in vita sales.

all this tells us is that the majority of the PS4's consumer base so far are those who would buy even the most unpopular of sony consoles.

Not true, Vita sales have risen sharply since the launch of the PS4. I fully expect that with the continued word of mouth regarding the system, its connection capabilities to the PS4, and the upcoming Playstation Now, it will begin to sell better than most ever thought it would.

Doomshine

It's really not lol

Back touch is an awful supplement to L2/R2/L3/R3. I always hit it by accident and it's not comfortable for any function that you have to use a decent amount in games. For instance, intense-D and turbo in NBA 2k14 on back touch, so awful. Would be less of an issue if Sony let us customize the controls but apparently that only works for PS1 lol
I wish they would use the corners on the front touch pad as the standard instead or at least let you choose.

liger05

Not true, Vita sales have risen sharply since the launch of the PS4. I fully expect that with the continued word of mouth regarding the system, its connection capabilities to the PS4, and the upcoming Playstation Now, it will begin to sell better than most ever thought it would.

NPD says hello.

that percentage rise with zero context makes a lot more sense when you look at sales charts.

Of course (and alas). But technically, a rise is a rise.

Hmm? what are you trying to say? The Vita is still doing very poorly. Early adopters tend to be hardcores types. There is nothing unrealistic about either of those statements.

I was more specifically quoting the second part of your post : A lot of the PS4s sold have been to Sony's most loyal fanbase, which makes total sense.
I guess the definition of A lot allow for some wiggling, but I can't help but think that a PS4 has way much more mass appeal than, say, a WiiU.

Erm.

SmokyDave

i have this very genuine sense of "i hope dave doesn't read this" every time i talk about vita sales. i just want to tell you that there's a nice farm outside of town which we sent the vita sales to and they're happier than ever.

Don't worry about it, man. Beneath the flamboyance, I'm a realist. I see the top 40 every week, I know 163% of dire is still dire. I'm just grateful it's carved out a stay of execution as a niche platform with 'enthusiastic' owners.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

it sold less than 100k in december NPD, less than half of what it sold the christmas before.

also, you forgot the TM symbols in your post.

Don't worry about it, man. Beneath the flamboyance, I'm a realist. I see the top 40 every week, I know 163% of dire is still dire. I'm just grateful it's carved out a stay of execution as a niche platform with 'enthusiastic' owners.

it is a neat thing. i wonder if something as simple as a non-proprietary memory format could've at least brought its success to a simmer.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I do. The Vita is awesome in its own right, but it's also a pretty slick companion device to the PS4. I've owned a Vita since day one.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine the Sony Hardcore Fans to be first in line at the launch of a new console. Oddly enough, I'd imagine that these would also make up a big chunk of the exclusive club of Vita owners around the world.

Considering the PSVita has been out for exactly two years, that it has been outsold so quickly in a matter of months by the highly supply strained (and twice as expensive) PS4 is nothing short of utter failure.

Oersted

Of course (and alas). But technically, a rise is a rise.

Vita is down on a YoY basis. Technically and practically. A rise from pre- christmas to christmas, something that every console besides Vita TV achieved, didn't change that. Sorry.

Considering the PSVita has been out for exactly two years, that it has been outsold so quickly in a matter of months by the highly supply strained (and twice as expensive) PS4 is nothing short of utter failure.

Yep.

Deadstar

Makes sense. There is a lot of synergy between the vita and ps4. I'm telling you now though, if you're at all interested in a vita and you don't have one yet buy it before the cheap version comes out. The oled screen is amazing.

mechphree

I was at best buy messing with the ps4 and they had the vita literally a few inches away from it so you could play it to . I think some people are getting it because it's a cool back up to the ps4 when your on the go.

SmokyDave

it is a neat thing. i wonder if something as simple as a non-proprietary memory format could've at least brought its success to a simmer.

Who knows. That, or it might've seen it dropped from retailers as the already slim margin became even slimmer. They might've ended up with a PSP Go situation again.

SmokyDave

The numbers dont lie. Come Thursday I guess your have more reason to accuse people of hating.
I'd rather wait until tomorrow to see if the champion can keep up the phenomenal streak we've seen in Japan. The only platform that isn't in decline. Hot stuff.

erawsd

I was more specifically quoting the second part of your post : A lot of the PS4s sold have been to Sony's most loyal fanbase, which makes total sense.
I guess the definition of A lot allow for some wiggling, and I can't help but think that a PS4 has way much more mass appeal than, say, a WiiU.

Of course a lot of PS4s have been sold to Sony's loyal fanbase; thats generally the type that shows up for any product launch -- iPads, Playstation, Wii U, or otherwise. The masses usually don't get on board in a big way until later on.

thefil

Woah, that's absurd.

It lends some weight to the rhetoric that this console generation is selling to an insular group.

Arttemis

Pretty interesting stat! I never once for a second felt that a second screen was NECESSARY for creating tension in a game like ZombiU, and Dark Souls and Last of Us prove that to me. With these percentages, though, OPTIONAL second screen stuff could be really cool.

Raven77

North America is not the only country in the world...NPD data does not provide the full picture.

Edit, after getting owned below:

Meant region, not country...that's what I get for posting to hastily while at work.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I didn't used all the data available, but people where wondering in the PSN thread about worlwide Vita sales and I put this:

This lacks some data from 2012 but it could be used as a "minimum". Adding 600.000 units more in the last half of 2012 (minus US BF 2012) isn't too unrealistic. I used Parcher because even if his deductions are quite shitty, he has access to some data that we lack.

That Patcher quote makes no sense the majority of the markets we know about says PS Vita was down year on year. (aside from Japan and even there it wasn't up that much) Unless the Vita sold at lot of the last quarter even the total shipments of PSP and Vita don't add up to that amount. That figure is very, very hard to believe.

KalBalboa

Banned
The Ps4 will drive Vita sales because of the Remote Play.

It can only help. People who own PS4s have incentives to buy the Vita for a few reasons:

• Remote Play
    No TV required to play, or play away from home.​
  • Second Screen
    Those Wii U-like benefits​
  • PS+ Membership = Vita Games
    PS+ memberships have gone up a good amount since PS4 hit, and we haven't even seen it on shelves for a full quarter in the US or in Japan. PS+ gives more and more Vita games every month, possibly pushing new adopters.​

I've actually used my Vita as an extra PS4 controller more than once via Remote Play, too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I prefer to focus on the trajectory, rather than the altitude. It's like rocket surgery.

70e158l970eqg2uzc2g4.jpg

Top Bottom