• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 60% of PS4 owners also have a PS Vita

Sony says that only around 250,000 people have tried out the Remote Play functionality between Vita and PS4 -- around 10 percent of those people who own both a Vita and a PS4. "

If you have a PS4 and a Vita, why would you not try Remote Play?

Remote Play is the first thing that has felt truly "next gen" to me. It's fucking fantastic.

i tried remote play once with a couple of games, the screen on vita is just too small after having played games on a 50 inches tv. and plus u can't really rival the ds4 with vita's control. to me a gimmick not worth look into too much.

Artorias

Banned
That is really impressive. I'm happy to have added to that number. I'll probably be buying another of each in the next year as well haha, so long as we get Vita colors.

resogun remote play has been pretty incredible while my fiance watches her real house wives show....

anyone with or without a ps4 should get a vita.

sadly the airlines lost my luggage which contained my vita... honestly feels like a piece of me is missing...will buy a new vita when airline refund comes in, and import a 64 card. thank god i was all digital.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just got a PS4 a couple days ago and I tried Remote Play and it refused to work properly. I was sitting right next to my PS4 and the lag I got was considerable and even worse when I turned away from it, thus it was basically impossible to play KZ: SF with it, and then it would repeatedly lose the connection. Again, this is while I'm literally 2 ft away from the PS4.

I don't know why it was acting up but so far my experience with Remote Play have not been positive.

Oersted

North America is not the only country in the world...NPD data does not provide the full picture.

Edit, after getting owned below:

Meant region, not country...that's what I get for posting to hastily while at work.

Yes, it is worldwide down.

noobasuar

Banned
I'd be worried if I was Sony. Knowing that 60% of your users are the ones that also own a Vita. Which let's face it, most people that own the Vita are those that love the playstation ecosystem. Just goes to show that most systems sold so far have been to the biggest playstation fans.

Frillen

Not true, Vita sales have risen sharply since the launch of the PS4. I fully expect that with the continued word of mouth regarding the system, its connection capabilities to the PS4, and the upcoming Playstation Now, it will begin to sell better than most ever thought it would.

Source? NPD says otherwise. Stop talking out of your ass.

WhiskeyKnight said:
If you have a PS4 and a Vita, why would you not try Remote Play?

Because playing on a 55+ inch TV with 7.1 Surround >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Playing on the Vita.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The numbers could stay the same or even go up once ppl know about the cross buy thing with PS3/PS4 and Vita. Cross buy games were free on the Vita if you bought the PS3 version. I think you had to use the cross buy section in the PSN store tho.

Frillen

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/31/ps-vita-sales-increase-by-163-in-uk-following-launch-of-ps4

There you go. 163% rise in the UK since the PS4 launch. Remote play cited as predominant motivator.

Yes, I know it doesn't mean much. Dude wasn't talking out of his ass though. You should calm down a touch.

Wasn't that just the week after the PS4 was out? And wasn't that more because we were entering the Holidays more than the fact that the PS4 released? Pretty much every system gets an increase first week of December. NPD December was pretty much a catastrophe for the Vita, and that was hard numbers. I trust hard numbers more than a percentage number from a company that is spun beyond and back (and this goes to Nintendo and Microsoft as well).

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/31/ps-vita-sales-increase-by-163-in-uk-following-launch-of-ps4

There you go. 163% rise in the UK since the PS4 launch. Remote play cited as predominant motivator.

Yes, I know it doesn't mean much. Dude wasn't talking out of his ass though. You should calm down a touch.

Measuring absolute success with percentages is useless without a base number. If Vita was selling 5,000 a month before, then a rise to 13,000 a month isn't particularly significant, especially if that figure regresses over time.

But...but...the Vita is dead...

I've said it many times before, the remote play functionality and Playstation Now could really give new life to the Vita. it's a great hand held. I play it more than any other system in my house. The indie selection is excellent and PS+ makes it fantastic. Controls are great, the screen is beautiful, and the sleep mode / instant resume is superb.

No...it's still dead everywhere but Japan. This is just another misleading figure from Sony PR.

I bet that we'll see in January NPD how the PS4's presence won't have any significant factor on Vita sales in the USA.

Artorias

Banned
I'd be worried if I was Sony. Knowing that 60% of your users are the ones that also own a Vita. Which let's face it, most people that own the Vita are those that love the playstation ecosystem. Just goes to show that most systems sold so far have been to the biggest playstation fans.

Yea, I bet they are super duper worried.

SmokyDave

Wasn't that just the week after the PS4 was out? And wasn't that more because we were entering the Holidays more than the fact that the PS4 released? Pretty much every system gets an increase first week of December. NPD December was pretty much a catastrophe for the Vita, and that was hard numbers. I trust hard numbers more than a percentage number from a company that is spun beyond and back (and this goes to Nintendo and Microsoft as well).
That's fine, I don't put any stock into obfuscated numbers either. I just felt you'd come down too hard on the other dude when there are PR pieces out there that may well have shaped his perceptions.

erawsd

During christmas. And 163% rise compared to?

I'd like to know as well.

Reminds me of the ridiculous 800% increase in Wii U sales that someone tried to attribute to the xbox one reveal... when the truth is that it was because of a price cut and even still the actual amount of sales was abysmally low.

I'm one of them too ! Love the vita. Great on its own. Amazing with PS4. Sony created a really good environement with these two on the PS+ bridge in between

hooligan

Was going to say the same thing. Mainstream buyers seem to be on the fence still or skipping next gen consoles for mobile and ipad.

BigDug13

Most of the people jumping on PS4 this early are already PS3 PS+ users and have already been enjoying the benefits of that service for months. For most of us, eventually the draw of "how do I hold all these free games" translated to "why not pick up the other members of the Playstation family to have more games" so they ended up getting a Vita and eventually a PS4.

It simply makes sense when one service that's less than $5 per month gives you games across 3 (4 if you count the PSP games on PS+) platforms.

Artorias

Banned
Was going to say the same thing. Mainstream buyers seem to be on the fence still or skipping next gen consoles for mobile and ipad.

I'm not sure about most places, but PS4 has been sold out since it launched nearly everywhere in the US, and it sounds like much of pal land too.

That seems like a random conclusion to come to after 3 months on sale when one of them is selling through, no?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
sörine;100398356 said:
I'm surprised given the low memory card sellthrough figures we got from NPD. Where are people putting all these purchases?

Delete and re download?

Gamerloid

I'm sure it is. I'm also sure this percentage will drop very quickly.

Not true, Vita sales have risen sharply since the launch of the PS4. I fully expect that with the continued word of mouth regarding the system, its connection capabilities to the PS4, and the upcoming Playstation Now, it will begin to sell better than most ever thought it would.

I would say it was those holiday sales that caused the spike and not the PS4.

Hope to join this group sometime this year. Between Remote Play and PS+ games, it just seems like a no brainer. (hoping for $150 SKU or P4G bundle, plz based Sony!)

Mackins

I am probably buying one in Spring. I would really like Sony to just make a stretched out Dualshock 4 with a screen in the middle instead of a touchpad solely used for remote play.

I already Tweeted this to Yosp twice about a DS4/Vita hybrid for Remote Play but he didn't reply. :(

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Just got a PS4 a couple days ago and I tried Remote Play and it refused to work properly. I was sitting right next to my PS4 and the lag I got was considerable and even worse when I turned away from it, thus it was basically impossible to play KZ: SF with it, and then it would repeatedly lose the connection. Again, this is while I'm literally 2 ft away from the PS4.

I don't know why it was acting up but so far my experience with Remote Play have not been positive.

I have a PS3....and I heard its supposed to be better with the PS4. In my case I had to sometimes reboot the Vita for it to work proper.

Because playing on a 55+ inch TV with 7.1 Surround >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Playing on the Vita.

And who says you have to use Remote Play 100% of the time? As some have mentioned its great for not tying up a TV in the house or you just wanna game elsewhere.

Remote Play in the bathroom or just in bed is great. Since remote play is 100% compatible with the PS4....there is no need to find specific games to use it with. Its kinda gimped for the PS3.

I'm pretty sure Sony didnt intend for Remote Play to replace gaming in front of a TV.

I'm surprised that so few people have tried out remote play. It's pretty awesome, although it is not well suited for all games. Resogun and KZ are playable but not as good, but games like Don't Starve that aren't that sensitive to perfect accuracy are great. As we get more RPGs and slower-paced games it's going to be really great.

The back touch pad is my only complaint about the Vita. It's not comfortable to hold it on the little oval pads. They need to let us select the active zones, like letting so that you have to touch near the middle to activate it. Or let us change the input, like letting a swipe be registered as a button press. That way you can hold it more comfortably but still take advantage of the touch pad.

Still, I'm glad that the PS4 seems to be helping the Vita a bit. It's an awesome little system.

I am part of the statistics too. I love remote play with my PS4 and Vita. Remote Play and Twitch/Ustream streaming are two of my favorite next gen features.

boingball

Well, if the PS4 owners are buying Vita's that would be a good outlook. But it is more likely that Vita owners are buying PS4s, so the percentage will drop off quite a bit soon.

"To put that into perspective, digital sales on the Nintendo 3DS -- Vita's closest rival -- currently account for around 9 percent of total game sales on the handheld. "

I would say iOS and Android are rivals for Vita/3DS as well. And those have 100% digital sales... I still consider 48% a ridiculous low number for digital sales when 100% of the games are available digital and 50% or more are available only digital.

You could give this link a try. http://doddscientifics.com/2013/11/17/ps4-remote-play-fix/

jacobeid

Banned
I'm surprised that only 250,000 people have tried Remote Play.

I'm not surprised that Vita owners bought a PS4. Once you're in the ecosystem.....

PS3/PS4/Vita owner here.

sörine;100398356 said:
I'm surprised given the low memory card sellthrough figures we got from NPD. Where are people putting all these purchases?

You don't need to have all your games on the card at all times. Considering the prices of the cards common sense leads people to use the backup utility and only carry the games they are playing.
Hell, a 16 gig card can hold a lot of games, specially if you play a lot of indie and PSP/PSone games.
I have P4G, Wipeout 2048, LBP, FFT, Flower, Muramasa and the Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice demos on mine right now and there's still over 5 gigs left.

Well I for one got the vita after the ps4 and don't really care about remote play as lately I don't have to share my TV. Haven't even tried it. Bought my memory card from Japan...

I mostly got it because as a primarily pc gamer I never really got PS+ until now. It's nice, but now I'm really never going to catch up on my backlog.

The vita has been great this week as I'm stuck in the hospital. Been playing through xenogears... I had forgotten how awful the text scrolling is.

It kind of amuses me that anyone expects the "mainstream consumers" to be buying $4-500 consoles in large numbers near launch time.

Incidentally I've bought physical copies of tearaway and ys, and a digital copy of killzone mercenaries during a sale. I had a bunch of ps1 games on my ps3 so those probably don't count. The rest of my purchases will likely be digital though.

Certinty

Well the only reason I got a PS4 at launch was because of remote play, and I know a few others who also did the same.

zroid

Banned
I honestly would have thought the western installed base of the Vita was less than 60% of the PS4's installed base

Top Bottom