• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want good ice cream. What are good brands and their flavors?

Hari Seldon

Very expensive if you want it dry-ice shipped, but none better. Any flavor is just fantastic. So creamy compared to the mass produced garbage.

348s.jpg

Jeni's is a good suggestion if you want to get spendy. You want creamy, find something that comes straight from a dairy. There's one a bit north of us and the ice cream there is amazing. At stores here, too, we can pick up Oberweis, which feels like it should be illegal or something, like that shit is a vice.

Minnow

Jeni's is a good suggestion if you want to get spendy. You want creamy, find something that comes straight from a dairy. There's one a bit north of us and the ice cream there is amazing. At stores here, too, we can pick up Oberweis, which feels like it should be illegal or something, like that shit is a vice.

Yeah I'm near oberweis too and their stuff is amazing. Usually stick with cookie dough / mint chip.

Yeah I'm near oberweis too and their stuff is amazing. Usually stick with cookie dough / mint chip.

I dunno where you are but if you're near it the dairy we go visit sometimes on the way to Chicago is Fair Oaks, and if you get over there... omg. The chocolate milk tastes like ice cream; the ice cream tastes like utopia.

jryeje29

I've never tried any type of gourmet ice cream brands that cost some ridiculous amount and can only be found in special places but in terms of the best ice cream I believe you could easily get your hands on basically anywhere. The only answer is Häagen-Dazs ice cream. They offer most flavors and you will never enjoy a cheaper store bought brand after.

Very expensive if you want it dry-ice shipped, but none better. Any flavor is just fantastic. So creamy compared to the mass produced garbage.

348s.jpg

No no no no nope!
It's made of 90% sugar and about nothing else.

That's American ice creams in a nutshell though. Everything is walking diabetes.

I can't believe I'm seeing love for Blue Bell on here. That is some of the worst ice cream I ever had the misfortune of purchasing.

*Edit* Disregard, I was confusing blue bell with Blue Bunny!

EBreda

Another vote towards Talenti.

I bought it blind 5 years ago in Seattle and never looked back. It's delicious, it's creamy, it seems hand made, and you can re-use the container in lots of different ways.

I recommend Pistachio, salty caramel, Java beans and plain vanilla.

PixelatedBookake

I need some Pralines and Cream on the level of Baskin' Robbins. I don't work there anymore so I can't take unlimited samples of the shit but it was CRACK. Any good substitutes out there?

Linkura

Yes! I really can't stand most ice creams now that I've become used to good ice cream without all the gums and stabilizers.

The best ice cream I've found is either Turkey Hill "All Natural" ice creams, or Haagen Daz "Five" ice creams.

Both of these do not contain any of the thickening, stabilizing and emulsifying Agents (Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Lactase Enzyme, Tara Gum, mono & diglycerides, etc.) found in most other ice creams.

These will actually melt if you leave it out, instead of turning into a gelatinous blob. And they taste much richer and creamier because of it, imo.

turkey+hill+all+natural+vanilla+quart.jpg

74570650507.jpg

I tried the Turkey Hill All Natural Vanilla after it was recommended in a previous ice cream thread, and it was fucking disgusting. We ended up throwing out most of it. Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean is the GOAT vanilla.

Also, for those who recommended Talenti, I've tried a few Talenti flavors and didn't think any of them were that great.

I like blue bunny, bryers, Hagen dad, etc. But my favorite is home made peach.

Get an old Waring Ice Cream Parlor/Maker. I got mine at goodwill for $3.00. You can get then for less than $25 on eBay. Then follow instructions on making your own. Congrats on the diabetus!

Speely

Banned
Full Tilt Thai Iced Tea

QNEbu5E.jpg

Hell yes. My friend worked for Full Tilt for years. Amazing ice cream. I got spoiled on all their stuff.

That said, lemme throw one up for an unsung hero: shitty fake strawberry ice cream. You know, that unwanted strip in your neopolitan?

Fucking delicious. Fake strawberry is godlike. It tastes almost nothing like strawberries, but it's amazing.

#teamfakestrawberry

Paertan

For regular single flavor ice cream
Häagen-Dazs

For mixed flavors etc
Ben & Jerry

Favorite flavor is regular chocolate. But GOAT is vanilla ice cream with cloudberry jam.

theBmZ

I have been hooked on this for quite a while now. Any other ice cream I try now seems like a waste of my time and money. This is the shit. The greatest of all time ice cream flavor.
haagen%2Bdazs%2Bespresso%2Bcookies%2Bcream%2Bice%2Bcream%2Bpint.jpg

Fuchsdh

No no no no nope!
It's made of 90% sugar and about nothing else.

That's American ice creams in a nutshell though. Everything is walking diabetes.

You do realize one of the differentiators between base "ice cream" and gelato is gelato has more sugar right?

TheExodu5

Banned
You do realize one of the differentiators between base "ice cream" and gelato is gelato has more sugar right?

The base differentiator is that gelatto has less air.

Anyways, my picks:

haagen+dazs+black+cherry+amaretto+gelato+pint.jpg

hd_chocpb_e_3d_500x500.png

Try as I might, it's pretty hard to beat Haagen Dazs. If I lived in Vancouver I might say Rain or Shine Salted Caramel though. That stuff is incredible.

Steejee

Blue Bell is great if you want a side of Listeria.

Given how little ice cream I eat, I'd have to go with whatever local parlors make over anything in the store. In Boston you've got Richardson's, Kimball's, Rebecca's, and a myriad of others I'd buy before boxed stuff.

Why the fuck do Americans measure liquid in ounces, and solids in pints? What the fuck man.

At some point we had a raffle to determine which things were measured in which way and fluid ounces won for mass produced ice cream.

Obviously not true, but it feels like that's what must have happened sometimes.

Another question about serving size. What's your serving size?

I get 3 scoops from my Tablespoon. That's enough to satisfy my cravings.

Try out Organic Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream by Alden. Delicious.

rudger

My wife will almost exclusively buy Haagen daz out of a misguided sense of Jersey pride (I think it’s actually from New York). We now get some ice cream sandwiches from cool haus to mix things up. I used to get them from their food trucks before they started packaging them.

My real favorite is Breyers....from 20+ years ago. Fuck I miss old Breyers.

Top Bottom