• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was wrong about Ghost Recon Wildlands and you probably are too.

SenkiDala

This post sounds like Generic: The Post.

Because I've seen it a thousand times. Get it?

Well yeah but his post is not 60€/$! :p

I understahd his feeling, I honestly feel the same about the game. I was so hype about it, finally a Ubi game that I will enjoy again, that the good old Ghost Recons, like Splinter Cell, but not, it seems hollow and blank all the way. :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's fairly fun on multiplayer but other than that, it's a generic game with bad controls. With so many other legitimately great games out right now, I can't even imagine when I would feel the need to play it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm sorry but the fact that the defense force is out in full force only a week after release just feels desperate. I've been playing games for almost 3 decades and I know what good controls are by now, and this game doesn't have them. I was constantly fighting with the controls during the open beta. The driving was shit, the flying was shit, and the cover mechanic and shoulder cam was shit.

giphy.gif

Yer shit mate, better bait next time.

Vintage

Wildlands relies being fun not on it's content, but on players having fun with friends. It's like a comedy movie relying being funny on the viewer being high.

KaYotiX

Banned
i had a little fun with during beta but i can see it getting boring, go kill this, go grab that and repeat till you win. You do need buds to play with IMO that adds a lot

Maybe ill buy it when its on sale. For me, there are just too many other games i want to play.

Gaz_RB

I guess I don't get the generic tag people keep slapping this game with. Are there a ton of other games like this that I'm not aware of?

I've been wondering how they game would play on extreme/no HUD using a hard limit on the respawn.

For those that haven't played, when you get knocked down your teammates can revive you. You also see a respawn timer. But even if the timer runs out, your teammates can still revive you; its literally a timer on your ability to choose to respawn.

I'd like to see how a mission pans out if allies have the length of the time-until-respawn to get to you - and if they don't, you sit that mission out until it succeeds or fails.

EDIT - Just saw teasing pink saying they'd tried this method. Hadn't seen it as I was drafting the post.

I agree. I really wish there was a bleedout and spectate mechanic. I'm really hoping Ubisoft adds a hardcore mode to this game with that mechanic and taking away the ability to so easily change the loadout on the fly.

It's weird because there's a "increase bleedout time" skill you can get that seems kind of worthless because you can so easily respawn.

For those that haven't played, when you get knocked down your teammates can revive you. You also see a respawn timer. But even if the timer runs out, your teammates can still revive you; its literally a timer on your ability to choose to respawn.

I'd like to see how a mission pans out if allies have the length of the time-until-respawn to get to you - and if they don't, you sit that mission out until it succeeds or fails.

EDIT - Just saw teasing pink saying they'd tried this method. Hadn't seen it as I was drafting the post.
Ah, not quite. We played with no self respawns, but not actually sitting out completely once that timer is up. Still, needing to have a teammate come get you adds a fun wrinkle.

Your idea sounds more like what I thought that timer meant the first time I saw it. A bit surprised that's not how it actually worked.

Gator86

Crate and Crowbar just recently talked about this game and the various ways in which it is racist and ignorant, I'd recommend it.

http://crateandcrowbar.com/2017/03/10/episode-179-tom-clancys-club-penguin/

Thanks for posting. Ubi games work toward inclusion, but are also impressively flawed. For example, the Division has some of the most mindlessly ridiculous stuff in it. The devs clearly don't really think through the ramifications of any of the content they put together or it gets lost in the translation somehow.

Kinyou

I'm never really a fan of the "but you have to play with friends" point, that often comes up with games like these, as almost anything is fun when you play it with some buddies.

Lanrutcon

I want to try it, but the odds are good it'll run badly. If there was a game drought then I'd jack to setting to shitty and live with my 50fps or whatever...but there are just so many good games out now, and on the horizon.

My Steam wishlist just says no.

n0razi

It reminds me of that other generic MMOFPS byt Ubisoft. The Division... so I gotta disagree with you. Lot's of potential with all the typical Ubisoft jank and bullshit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It reminds me of that other generic MMOFPS byt Ubisoft. The Division... so I gotta disagree with you. Lot's of potential with all the typical Ubisoft jank and bullshit.

The Division has far more personality and actually controls well.

I'm never really a fan of the "but you have to play with friends" point, that often comes up with games like these, as almost anything is fun when you play it with some buddies.

I specifically addressed that in my post. Like I knew that argument was coming and addressed it.

Penox

I wonder how many of the "it's only fun in COOP" players have actually played the game. The task force might be a bad indicator but we currently have 27 members in it.

Basketball

You can listen to me

it's pretty decent
even in solo

Don't expect super tactical stuff but if you liked Mercenaries 1, Just Cause , and Mgsv

you will have fun with it.

I used to love Ubisoft open World games. I now feel ill just thinking about playing one. I got an hour into Watch Dogs 2 before stopping. I guess I'm just burned out on their tired design.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Game is fun in co op. Tired of GAF hyperbolic shite.
Considering we have mods calling Ubisoft games literal fesses printed on a disc I don't expect the members to act all that different to them.

GAF is a weird one but it seems unless it's JRPG, Sony franchise or a Nintendo one they don't get all that much traction, much less positive at least nowadays.

There's a huge disconnect here and most of the people either bandwagon on this or judge a poorly made beta, which turns out was more of a beta than a demo; shocking, I know.

But I'm a paid shill who clearly have biased opinions and make my own aggregated news sites so they fit my view and try to tell everyone who's jaded how good my favorite company's game is all the time while defending it to the death because $ so what do I know.

NH Apache

Banned
Eh. I'm not playing on PC.

Compare Wildlands PS4 graphics to something like MGSV PS4 and it's a joke.

And that's not even touching the millions of graphical glitches the game suffers from.

Absolutely disagree. Looks great on bone and PC.

I'm having fun in coop and single player. I still have that draw where I'm thinking about it when not playing.

Did they fix the vehicle controls?

If not, then nope.
Driving feels a little bit improved from the beta, but not as good as GTA 4 or 5. Flying still doesn't have separate yaw control, so not much is different there. It's serviceable now, but not a strong point by any stretch.

Korezo

Played the game for like 5 mins in the open beta and then deleted it. Game didn't grab me at all. Maybe will try again when 4v4 pvp comes out, was hopping for some socom likeness.

Tomeru

If it played at least like the division does on ps4, then I would've given it a chance. But I tried the betas, and it didn't play any good. Controls were just shy of broken - it was slow and unresponsive.

Did that change?

Sure, but the fact is the game is greatly improved in co op, and it allows so much good in it to shine. Good that is there, if you give it time.

Games has jank, terrible toxic politics. But why it is somehow uniquely repetitive or awful, i dunno. Having plenty of fun.

Redd

This could be fun if I could get my L4D gang together again. I'll see if any of them are planning on buying it soon.

I guess I don't get the generic tag people keep slapping this game with. Are there a ton of other games like this that I'm not aware of?

No, there aren't. But remember: The current mood of the board is that any game where you're not playing as a boy-elf on a collectathon is just generic crap.

Jackpot

Banned
* The game is a vehicle for cooperation. I'll be 100% clear if you're going to play this solo I can't recommend it. I literally haven't played a minute of this game solo and I intend to keep it that way. Now beyond that as a cooperative experience, it's fantastic. Like Metal Gear Solid V the world is a sandbox and as you can imagine that is just infinitely more fun with friends.

Any game is fun with friends. The fact that it can't stand alone means the gameplay must be pretty dire.

Carlius

Banned
will post to say i love the game, will keep buying ubisofts games DAY 1, cause them and CDPR are the only ones i buy their games day 1. thank you ubi!

jaaz

I played through the beta. It was okay, better than I expected. But it definitely felt like the type of game I would pick up during a Steam sale when there's a lull in game releases in general. It is definitely not a game I would spend $60 on day 1 or shortly after release.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game has some of the worst analog controls... movement and aiming. And the animation is substandard. They've done absolutely nothing interesting in terms of core gameplay -- the actual soldiering -- and instead focused on superfluous crap like driving vehicles, open world shit, clothing, etc.

Not only have they not advanced with core gameplay of being a solider (movement, weapon handling, etc), they don't even hold up against what's already been done. These mechanics are >10 fucking years old. I swear to god the default walk animation is pulled straight from the original GRAW.

This game is a failure to the genre.

It's interesting, I didn't get around to playing the Alpha or the Beta, downloaded them but had other things to do, so I never got to experience what so many people didn't like.

Only playing the finished game, I think the controls are more than adequate. The helicopter and plane could use trim control, but after some practice I can do almost everything without them. Almost being I can't kill anything with the guns, that is frankly impossible, however I can be a stationary sniping platform for a buddy with an anti-material rifle, which is almost as fun. Cars drive really well I think, there is quite the variance in driving quality between beater trucks, Baja Racing Trucks, APCs, etc. Boats control like.. boats? I don't know, it seems perfectly fine.

There are a few things with the on-foot controls I'm not overly FOND of, but that tends to come down to not enough buttons on a controller. I'd like cover to be better, but it's not really a problem.

I played through maybe half the game on solo.. and it's perfectly serviceable, and even, dare I say it.. fun? It's a different game than co-op, slower, more tactical, but fun if you like taking down bases full of bad guys.

I said in another thread that this game will give you what you put into it, it's not really holding your hand through the whole thing, but it'll give you a great time if you let it.

Also, the OT paid me to say this:
/s

Join us! We're flipping with joy to have you!

Ghost Recon Wildlands XBOX NeoGAF Task Force

Ghost Recon Wildlands XBOX NeoGAF Club

ODFxKY9.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=230212898&highlight=#post230212898

That was me like a month ago on Ghost Recon Wildlands. I played the closed beta and didn't really enjoy it. I had a few moments that made me think "there's something here" but ultimately I had decided against buying it.

Then the open beta came and I ended up having a ton more fun with a group of friends. Some of the issues I had had been fixed, some were the same, and some remained. Despite the fun I had in the beta, I still wasn't sure though.

So now it's a while after release and I'm ready to admit I was wrong. I got caught up in how GAF felt about the game and my initial impressions betrayed me. Now let's be honest here for a second. It's on Ubisoft to convince me to like the game right away. The poor marketing combined with the poor beta is on them. But ultimately the game is far better than I ever thought it would or could be.

I'm not going to launch into a full review but here are the three things that make me want to log on and play every night.

* The best open world variety I've experienced in quite some time. I've played TW3, Skyrim, every Assassin's Creed, GTA 4 and V, etc etc. This one tops them from a gameplay perspective. That doesn't mean Wildlands has a better open world than those games. A lot of the value in something like GTA V comes from the people, the visuals, and the auditory aspect. The attention to detail in that is insane. But where Wildlands excels is the variety of each zone.

Each zone has a purpose and feels different from the zone before and after. This zone is filled with cocaine labs, this zone is flat white desert, this one is a jungle filled with corrupt military police. That changes how you approach things and isn't immediately obvious because it's so natural. In a flat desert when you're trying to stop a convoy there's almost no cover and you have to plan accordingly. In a zone filled with high up long twisting mud roads, we had a completely different approach to the exact same side mission.

* The game is a vehicle for cooperation. I'll be 100% clear if you're going to play this solo I can't recommend it. I literally haven't played a minute of this game solo and I intend to keep it that way. Now beyond that as a cooperative experience, it's fantastic. Like Metal Gear Solid V the world is a sandbox and as you can imagine that is just infinitely more fun with friends. You can invade a base from two different directions to split apart the enemy forces. You can have a friend cover you with a sniper rifle as you clear small structures while looking for an enemy lieutenant. Basically, the game gives you the tools to execute whatever plan you want. Just the other day after failing multiple times to penetrate the defense of a particularly difficult stronghold, I flew up above the clouds in a helicopter. When we reach the highest point my friends parachuted down full speed right into the enemy base. I followed them and the copter landed in their base too! We all died but the fun factor there is undeniable. You can basically recreate whatever ridiculous action sequence you saw in last summer's blockbuster.

I know what some of you are thinking and it's a legitimate thought because I make the same criticism. Whenever someone tells me a game is fun with friends I scoff because...so is pretty much anything. When I was a kid and shoveled snow with friends we had a good time, that doesn't make shoveling snow my second favorite past time. Wildlands is special in that it gives you every opportunity to have as much fun as possible. If you don't have friends and you don't have any imagination ("let's go in, snipe everyone from away, and leave" rinse and repeat) you probably won't have any fun.

* I underestimated the story and its characters. So in the open beta, you go after these 2 fuckheads, yes I just said fuckheads, La Yuri and El Polito. These two are the most vapid, uninteresting, boring, you get the point. They're trash characters. When I finally killed them I felt nothing because they were nothing. Those 2 as the boss of the first zone gave me the impression that every boss would be largely uninteresting and poorly written. Flash forward to the Stewmaker...

I won't spoil anything. Frankly, Wildlands isn't about the story but whew this guy was fucking sick. In more ways than one. Not every boss is going to be The End or Sniper Wolf or The Boss don't get me wrong. But they are at least serviceable and at most actually compelling characters. I actually want to kill El Sueno, the game's big bad. That in itself is tough for a game to do these days. To make me care about killing the guy I'm supposed to want to kill.

I've already written way too much. Wildlands still has a lot to dislike. The gunplay pales in comparison to MGSV and a few other third person shooters. It's serviceable but doesn't stand out. I constantly wish the game was made by Kojima because it'd be so much more interesting. There aren't a ton of different side missions and it's possible 20 hours after my first 20 I'll get bored. The unlock system is exactly what you'd expect from a Ubisoft open world title. I've already unlocked everything I want and don't care about collectables as much.

But I was wrong about the game. I thought it was bad and it really isn't. I think it's a solid 8/10. A real one too not an "every AAA game is an 8". I see this idea on GAF that this is some ho-hum bro shooter. That's just not giving the credit it deserves. No game lets you do what Wildlands does. There are no other games out cut from the same cloth as Ghost Recon Wildlands so yeah maybe step outside of your bubble and give it a shot. At the very least don't be so close-minded about it.

TLDR: I was wrong. You're probably wrong too. It's got a fantastic massive open world. It's probably top 5 co-op games all time. It's unique in it's variety of locale and moment to moment gameplay. Despite the initial impressions the gunplay isn't even bad it's just about average. So yeah it's really good. Just do not play it solo and if you're a hardcore Ghost Recon fan look elsewhere because it's totally different.

Edit: PS I played the game on max difficulty at all times too. Not that hard and makes the game more deadly. YMMV.

I agree with everything you've said, minus the story because I have a hard time paying attention to it while playing with friends, and I'm not even 20% through.

I have an absolute blast with friends, and we try tackling bases different ways as much as possible.

I haven't had this much fun with online coop since GTA:O. I love open world coop!!

Springy

Anybody dismissing this game by countering that any game is fun co-op is being a little reductive. The game is built for co-op, and that's where it works best. Left 4 Dead is much diminished playing in single player, but it's become a beloved game due to its co-op.

Wildlands' beta (and I'd assume the retail game) was fun for me in co-op, yeah, no shit. It's made that way, and it gives players tools and the scenarios that allow a huge capacity for doing dumb shit or playing seriously and having a blast either way.

As for these two posts,

The topic is a plea for people to like the game.
The topic is an individual's thoughts on how they came around to liking something they initially disliked. Don't be so rude.

Also all these threads desperately trying to sway opinions shortly after a game is released and has an active OT are really starting to get suspect.
This is the worst post I've seen for a long time because in addition to sneering at the OP, you're accusing them of, what? Some undefined nefarious purpose? Be decent or say what you actually think is going on; this is horrible.

I loved it, but am waiting for my 1080 Ti to arrive and hopefully that and patches mean it wont stutter any more (unplayable for me on PC last time I tried due to stuttering but looked incredible apart from that major flaw)

I've played a few hours on PS4 and every mission plays the same and the gunplay is garbage.

Also all these threads desperately trying to sway opinions shortly after a game is released and has an active OT are really starting to get suspect.

I know for a fact the game is selling well and word among casuals is positive. They don't need my post. That being said please, if Ubisoft owes me a check, get them on the horn. I haven't gotten it.

FatalT

Banned
I kept it for 5 days from Redbox and played the shit out of it solo. It's a blast and I'm going to buy it when Ubisoft does their always-expected sales.

I've played a few hours on PS4 and every mission plays the same and the gunplay is garbage.

Why would they need to sway opinions? It had the biggest sales of the year.

Top Bottom