• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I witnessed some utterly disgusting behavior at Subway today... just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

Banned
Being rude to people making your food is a very bad idea.

Not that being rude to workers is a good thing ever.

This is Subway. You watch them making your food. They can't exactly do anything to it.

Besides, I'd be more worried about what happened before it was out front. You see the pictures of what minimum wage workers in the fast food business do in the news almost all the time.

Alienous

I think your opportunity to intervene is over. Now, really, it's up to the manager (who heard it all) and employee's. From your story I don't get the impression the manager would need help corroborating events. You go to that Subway pretty much every day ... ? Personally I'd treat it as an isolated incident, and watch for any signs of it happening again before trying to cause trouble for anyone in particular. You don't really have context on the events leading up to this, and while it doesn't justify his behavior, he could have been having a really bad day.

Seanspeed

Banned
There's no way I could have held my tongue in that situation. I would have gone in on him and then waited for the manager and made certain they the guy got punished.
For real. That's pretty crazy stuff people shouldn't get away with. Both the bigotry and the awful, awful customer service it displays.

Atlantis

I don't want to get people fired from their jobs because I know it's a struggle out there right now.... but this was just... come on.

I wouldn't feel bad, someone who was truly struggling would never risk their jobs by doing something like that in front of a customer. Beyond just being a prick to his co-worker, he also made a customer embarrassed and upset and a manager saw this. He'll probably (hopefully) end up fired even if you don't register a complaint.

goldenpp72

You not saying anything is unusual. I hold my tongue at work out of fear of job loss, but if i'm a customer at a food place? I'd definitely out the person and the only person at risk of losing anything would be the worker. I would have felt a lot more awkward not saying anything than deciding to chime in or temper the situation, but I guess everyone is different.

Exr

I like the mental image of you just awkwardly standing there softly speaking your sandwich instructions to the raging artist across the counter.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If you feel really bad about it you could cause a lot of havoc by e-mailing your account to Subway corporate, the franchisees have pretty strict rules and sanctions for customer experience.

It's really awesome how people are trying to shame the OP for doing something we all probably do, a lot.

Mmhm. It's par for the course, though; I've been in situations like this, exposed to shitty behaviour, where I've been so numb I've just wanted to get the fuck out, and then I feel like shit when I do. Sometimes you just don't want to get involved, to potentially escalate things. Conversely there have been times when I've acted and affected change.

way more

Each job has it's own attitudes. Obviously a man in his job as a stripper is allowed to show his bulge and rub up on clients unlike a man who sells sheet rock to clients. Each job has it's own requirements for what constitutes sexual, ethnic or in this case verbal harassment.

This usually will be a closed, corporate thing. A guy who can't deal with gays, make him watch some acceptance vids and hope he turns around.

But if this fucking idiot brings his bigot behavior in front of you, the customer, then you are right to bring it up.

Edit: No need to play Paladin right then and there. It's hard to argue with an idiot.

This guy can feel what he wants. But this is America where we have to pretend to get along with everyone. If he can't yell at co-workers without resorting to slurs then he needs to not be in a position like that.

If you feel really bad about it you could cause a lot of havoc by e-mailing your account to Subway corporate, the franchisees have pretty strict rules and sanctions for customer experience.

Now that the moment to complain to the manager has passed, this is probably the best route to go. Subway employees using slurs in front of customers is not something corporate will happy about.

Nephtis

I wouldn't go that route first -- go and talk to the manager, and let them know if it isn't taken care of, you *will* go to Subway corporate. Watch how quickly it's going to be fixed.

It's really awesome how people are trying to shame the OP for doing something we all probably do, a lot.

No kidding. It's not like the OP just plans to stay quiet forever -- he's already decided to speak up about it.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Nah go straight to corporate and get the manager fired if he didn't take action. Fuck 'em for being unprofessional.

aku:jiki

People trying to be nice and welcoming to you by using your name is creepy now? I mean Really? Really?! REALLY?!?!

Flek

Banned
Time to stop eating subway every day - did you know you have been eating azodicarbonamide, or ADA — as a “dough conditioner” in the sandwich bread?

Hari, who says she has been researching the company's bread ingredients since 2012, said she was shocked to find azodiacarbonamide, a plastic-based additive, on the food labeling.
The World Health Organization has linked this chemical additive to respiratory issues, allergies and asthma, and it is banned in Britain, Europe and Australia. Azodiacarbonamide is legal in the United States and Canada.
"It helps ... produce the air within the foam of a yoga mat," said Hari. "It does the same thing for bread."

http://gma.yahoo.com/protesters-tar...andwich-bread-201837992--abc-news-health.html

FZZ

Banned
What the guy said is inexcusable and in all honesty he deserves some form of punishment, but I do wonder what they were talking about beforehand that made them get on such bad terms. Well unless the dude is just naturally a dick with anger issues, which is always a possibility.

Time to stop eating subway every day - did you know you have been eating azodicarbonamide, or ADA — as a “dough conditioner” in the sandwich bread?
Which is rapidly reduced to biuria after reacting with the dough's flour, a compound that the body quickly excretes. Even then, the main risk is not to those who ingest it (in the concentrations used as a food additive, especially if it's a catalytic amount), but to those exposed to it (and inhaling it) in their work environment, potentially causing respiratory sensitization.

Regardless, eating Subway every day is probably not a good idea for numerous reasons.

Lucario

Here's what you're going to do, OP:

Find out when this guy's shift is. You go in every day, it can't be too hard. Try to find a day when he's already emotionally drained.

Now do this:

QyHJk.png

Alternatively, order a footlong double-meat meatball on honey wheat, then have him cook it on 3. Be sure to ask for as much sauce as you possibly can -- make him go back and add more multiple times.

You'll see what happens.

Benutzer

I thought they did something disgusting with your sub... If you want to punish the dude just do what Lucario posted.

Here's what you're going to do, OP:

Find out when this guy's shift is. You go in every day, it can't be too hard. Try to find a day when he's already emotionally drained.

Now do this:

Yeah, fuck over the poor unrelated person who has to clean the bathroom, that'll show them!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I was in that situation I honestly wouldn't know what to do. Likely be frozen with embarrassment.

Op, don't feel too bad that you didn't speak up. These things happen in life, the most you can do is try and prepare for doing the right thing in the future when the opportunity arises once more.

Bagerk

The worst behaviour I ever witnessed was some lady in front of me who ordered 7 subs. All different. There needs to be a 2 subs per person limit. If you are too lazy to come down and get your own then no food for you. Anything over 2 subs and you have to call ahead.

It rates up there with people who don't know how to use the ticket machine at train stations during peak hour. There is a huge line and everyone is trying to make their train and then some jerk who is just catching the train to go on an adventure in the big city or something can't figure out what buttons to press and then puts the money in too slow so the transaction gets cancelled and they have to start the process all over again. One failed transaction - back of the line! better luck next time.

-PXG-

I wanted to say something, but I didn't say shit.

Stopped reading there. Seriously, I did.

Yeah, their behaviour was completely uncalled for and totally unprofessional, especially with a customer present. But don't post some wax poetic tangent, and then half way through admit you did nothing at all to resolve anything or do anything to expedite your fucking sandwich. Again, those employees where totally wrong, but this is typical lame ass bullshit where someone complains about an event and put forth no effort to assert themselves.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Yeah, their behaviour was completely uncalled for and totally unprofessional, especially with a customer present. But don't post some wax poetic tangent, and then half way through admit you did nothing at all to resolve anything or do anything to expedite your fucking sandwich. Again, those employees where totally wrong, but this is typical lame ass bullshit where someone complains about an event and put forth no effort to assert themselves.

You do realise many don't have the confidence/just don't want to get involved. They can still have an opinion on the matter.

If you had read the whole thing, you might have learned that he does intend to do something.

Not that a customer has any obligation to step into a dispute like this.

You can't get away with yelling faggot in a restaurant at a gay co-worker. Jesus. It's time for you to go.

You certainly can't. I'd have been canned if I did that whilst working at my restaurant job, and rightly so! I appreciate what you're saying with "tough job market" etc. but this asshole needs to learn that sort of behavior isn't okay, the hard way.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sorry OP, but what is this? You are part of the problem.

Instead of just standing there and listening to that for minutes how about saying something like: "Jo, bro, stop calling her faggot. What is wrong with you?" You didn't even have to be rude.

Would have shut the guy up right there because I doubt this guy would have had the balls to tell you something.

Rafterman

Banned

Instead of just standing there and listening to that for minutes how about saying something like: "Jo, bro, stop calling her faggot. What is wrong with you?" You didn't even have to be rude.

Would have shut the guy up right there because I doubt this guy would have had the balls to tell you something.

Not everyone can handle confrontation, so I understand where the Op is coming from. Me? I would have done exactly what you said. I'm not going to stay quiet while some douche is verbally abusing some poor woman right in front of me. As for not being rude, I'd have a hard time not being rude after hearing those things said, so he wouldn't enjoy what I had to say.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not everyone can handle confrontation, so I understand where the Op is coming from.
Well, then OPs better off learning this. You only help when you speak up.

Me? I would have done exactly what you said. I'm not going to stay quiet while some douche is verbally abusing some poor woman right in front of me. As for not being rude, I'd have a hard time not being rude after hearing those things said, so he wouldn't enjoy what I had to say.
Being rude is never the way, believe me. If the other guy is heated you just run into risk of starting a quarrel with him, which will lead no where. From my experience it's much smarter to just calm the situation, for the sake of everyone. And you have a high chance to embarrass the other guy. Had this a couple of times. It's much more satisfying than with the quarreling way.

Lotta people jumping on OP like this is expected behavior at a food establishment. I've never experienced anything close to that when I have been out to eat or grab some fast food. If anything stories like this are the other way around, rude ass customers from hell while the server stays quiet. I'm not too sure how I would have reacted other than a "wtf" look at them (everyone says I have these facial expressions that communicate what I am thinking) may have spoken up but I have never been thrown into that kind of situation.

What the hell about not having cash money though? Are people getting that bad about only using cards?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Don't need "balls" to be an idiot.

You should of spoken to the manager.

Reread the OP.

Are you sure it's not friendly banter?
But the again, using that language In front o customers isn't proper employee behavior.

Also, don't be hard on yourself , it takes a lot of courage and awareness to be able to stay something in such an in expected situation.

I questin saying anythibg to the manager is actually going to make a difference .

SeanR1221

I would definitely make a formal complaint. Just because it's hard out there doesn't mean people shouldn't get consequences for their actions.

I also find your sandwich situation like a Curb Your Enthusiam episode. You are Larry and everyone will give you shit for not only staying quiet, but still buying the sandwich. Later in the episode you'll go back and someone important will watch you come out of the Subway.

dan2026

Reread the OP.

Fair enough.

I have to say I'm surprised this guy wasn't fired on the spot, if the manager overheard.

I would have been gone so fast in any of my jobs. Abusive, homophobic behaviour AND in front of customers!

The bums rush wouldn't have been fast enough.

Symphonia

Banned
That's an awfully uncomfortable and awkward situation to be in, OP. I really don't know how you managed to refrain from saying something. Homophobic behaviour such as that has no place in society, and certainly not in a public fast-food restaurant. I'm glad you're going back to complain. Don't worry about 'losing someone their job' either, in this case they deserve it.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
"I wanted to say something, but I didn't say shit."

Take the L and if you see it again then speak up. Otherwise you really don't have the right to randomly harass someone at their job about some dumb shit they said a few days ago.

If you really want to do something call the manager to make formal complaint about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom