• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I work at NeoGAF for a living..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
I don't know about threads, but I noticed a lot "Nvidia shill"-type people during the 970 vram controversy... For their sake I'd hope they're getting paid to be incessantly defending the company's shady practices like that.

they got secret .5gvram unlock codes

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about threads, but I noticed a lot "Nvidia shill"-type people during the 970 vram controversy... For their sake I'd hope they're getting paid to be incessantly defending the company's shady practices like that.

You underestimate the power of defense forces. People don't joke when they say there's a defence force for everything here. We have Russia defend force (in the Ukraine threads) and mass surveillance-NSA defence force.

Are you suggesting that some threads are paid product placements? Do you have any threads as examples?

I'm not really going to be bothered to go look for them, but I've been here long enough to see several threads deleted and a decent number of users banned because it was discovered they were shills.

I think it's reasonable to assume there are more that were good enough to not be uncovered.

It's certainly not rampant though.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Lurkgaf is real. People ask me to make threads here.

Fortunately, I can't

Timeaisis

Question for Evilore and/or mods

When you tell people you run/mod at GAF, what percent of people actually know what NeoGAF is? Obviously, we all know it's popularity with hardcore gamers, but I wonder how many average people are familiar with the site (or have at least heard of it).

Lurkgaf is real. People ask me to make threads here.

Fortunately, I can't
I've been a member for as long as the forum (in its various incarnations) existed, yet my nephew has been trying to become a member for just as long without success. I'm not sure what he's doing wrong but he can't get his registration attempts to go through the iron wall.

LosDaddie

Banned
Are you suggesting that some threads are paid product placements? Do you have any threads as examples?

I thought this was pretty obvious for the Gaming side, no? That side definitely has its....preferences. And it's not like this problem is exclusive to GAF.

Exr

8GRyUav.png

I mean, it's pretty popular. I guess.
Interesting. Not as much as I thought given the way Evilore talks. Still nice though.

Aeana

I thought this was pretty obvious for the Gaming side, no? That side definitely has its....preferences. And it's not like this problem is exclusive to GAF.

That's annoying, honestly. We take that kind of thing very seriously. There's a major difference between being paid shills/viral marketers and an annoying fanboy, and the former group is absolutely not tolerated (and the latter group is usually banned eventually too, usually in review threads).

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I've been a member for as long as the forum (in its various incarnations) existed, yet my nephew has been trying to become a member for just as long without success. I'm not sure what he's doing wrong but he can't get his registration attempts to go through the iron wall.

There's definitely a mystique to it. I've watched folks get banned & I just think "holy shit how could you do that? It's too hard to get in to clown like that"

strobogo

Banned
I'm not really going to be bothered to go look for them, but I've been here long enough to see several threads deleted and a decent number of users banned because it was discovered they were shills.

I think it's reasonable to assume there are more that were good enough to not be uncovered.

I thought the implication was more about mods, myself.

Lunar15

It's happened twice here in my five year stay, as far as I can remember. You get some annoying fanboys who can't shut it off, but actual paid shills are extraordinarily rare.

Also, anyone worried that GAF is one big paid advertisement for games has never gone into gaming much. I think gaming side tears down more games than it builds up. Hell, we had a documentary where industry professionals expressed distaste for the site, and there was even a joke in a game about how NeoGAF will destroy your game for doing something wrong.

Thorgal

Interesting. Not as much as I thought given the way Evilore talks. Still nice though.

Out of how many though .?

considering that that total could go up to 100.000 different sites ( number pulled from between my cheeks ) being in the top 2000 is still scoring high in the ranking .

Dennis

Banned
How much RAM does the GAF server have now?

And how much does it cost per month to buy the bandwidth required for a site of this size?

valeo

Whoever thinks mods are getting paid were likely born after the year 2000.

If you haven't moderated a message board full of knob-ends and you were born in the 1980's, you are likely an outlier.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I want NeoGAF achievements. At least hire someone to gamify this shit.

Floridian

Whoever thinks mods are getting paid were likely born after the year 2000.

If you haven't moderated a message board full of knob-ends and you were born in the 1980's, you are likely an outlier.

The only thing online i've moderated were twitch chats. It wasn't too bad.

Beloved

Gaf is weird because it's incredibly popular but at the same time is like the internet's best kept secret. I know so many avid gamers that have no clue what NeoGAF is. Hell I'd never heard of it until a couple of years ago.

Those Alexa rankings are pretty cool.
A bunch of stuff is paywalled or whatever but the stuff that is there is neat enough.

I have no idea what a "chiragchirag78" is but it is the second biggest search term driving traffic to here.
Number one is the site name itself, third is "downsampling".
Fifth is "dying light pc performance"

"xboxrepublika.com" is the most related site.
Can I be coy and claim this is evidence that Xbox runs this site and not Sony as people sometimes state or is it a terrible joke? My feelings can handle it.

School is the majority for site access and the mobile site consists just over 1% of site usage, whereas desktop variant comprises the rest.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Those Alexa rankings are pretty cool.
A bunch of stuff is paywalled or whatever but the stuff that is there is neat enough.

I have no idea what a "chiragchirag78" is but it is the second biggest search term driving traffic to here.
Number one is the site name itself, third is "downsampling".
Fifth is "dying light pc performance"

"xboxrepublika.com" is the most related site.
Can I be coy and claim this is evidence that Xbox runs this site and not Sony as people sometimes state or is it a terrible joke? My feelings can handle it.

School is the majority for site access and the mobile site consists just over 1% of site usage, whereas desktop variant comprises the rest.

Alexa is one of the best comparative metrics for site popularity, but only between popular websites and other popular websites (unpopular websites can be artificially skewed in alexa rank very easily), and not at all for any absolute metrics. Ignore anything it says about actual traffic numbers, demographics, etc., because they don't have access to any of that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom