• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: IEM Season VIII: São Paulo – StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm & League of Legends

SamuraiX-

The Intel Extreme Masters is ESL's flagship competition sponsored by Intel. IEM is an extensive tournament spanning many months and individual competitions across the globe culminating in an annual World Championship.

iz3mq7QfigefU.jpg

izF9unvijV25y.png

The StarCraft II online qualifiers for IEM Sao Paulo took place in two stages: the first stage was an open sign up and the second stage seeded players based on their previous results. There were three qualifiers in total that awarded tournament spots to two players from Europe, four players from North and South America and two players from Asia and Oceania. The eight qualified players received a fully paid trip to Sao Paulo. Regional qualifiers ensure that there is a diverse spectrum of talent from all over the globe.

The main event will take place over three stages. The first stage will spotlight the local StarCraft II talent with two brackets of eight participants each competing for four spots in the second stage. The top four players of the first stage will join the eight players from the online qualifiers as well as four other wildcard players. These 16 players will then play in a group stage, battling fiercely to advance to the 8-man playoffs.

Format

• Stage 1
    - Two double-elimination brackets consisting of eight players each.
    - Top 2 players from each bracket advance to Stage 2.
  • Stage 2
    - Four groups consisting of four players each (4 Stage 1 winners, 8 qualified players and 4 wildcard invites) compete in a dual tournament format.
    - Top 2 players from each group advance to Stage 3.
  • Stage 3
    - Single-elimination bracket consisting of eight players.
    - Quarterfinals and Semifinals are Best of 5.
    - Grand Final is Best of 7.
Prize Pool

$25,000 and 4,000 WCS Points will be distributed among players as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $10,000 + 750 WCS Points
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $4,000 + 500 WCS Points
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $2,000 + 375 WCS Points
  • 5th - 8th Place - $1,000 + 250 WCS Points
  • 9th - 12th Place - $400 + 125 WCS Points
  • 13th - 16th Place - $350 + 125 WCS Points
Casters and Hosts

iqW7Th3FkI6S9.jpg

Participants

iQf7qp69p1EIT.jpg

Note: The player in Group C is the herO from CJ Entus, not the HerO from Team Liquid.

iNtMBk9OaVPVL.png

Results

Schedule

Streams

iZLpVrCAWMVzl.png

The eight teams at Intel Extreme Masters Sao Paulo, containing of one European and one American LCS team, three Brazilian and three Latin American teams, will play for the $50,000 prize money in a single elimination bracket.

Format

Eight teams compete in a single-elimination bracket. Best of 3 matches.

• 1 slot via poll for Brazilian teams
  • 2 slots via Brazil qualifier
  • 3 slots via Latin America qualifiers
  • 1 slot via poll for EU LCS teams
  • 1 slot via poll for NA LCS teams
Prize Pool

$40,500 will be distributed among teams as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $15,000
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $6,500
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $4,500
  • 5th - 8th Place - $2,500
Casters and Hosts

i3OkzVzuXCCX2.jpg

Participating Teams

CVNqjDr.png

Results

Schedule

Streams

SamuraiX-

Bomber practicing:

Apparently he asked on Twitter for some random guy's NA Master account to practice. Glad to see he's taking it seriously. This is probably his best chance at making it to Katowice. jjakji, Polt, MC and herO are the only guys who stand in his way. All he has to do is make it to the finals! :D

Also:

dat audi r8 awaits

;P

SamuraiX-

g2jE8m8.jpg

Stream: ESL TV (StarCraft II)

Group Stage starts today! :D

jjakji just 2-0'd the Brazilian WM as expected.

Bomber vs puCK coming up! Looking forward to the Bomber vs jjakji winners match.

Bomber with dat new Avenge-style haircut + Red Bull shirt! He's now on a personal sponsorship with Red Bull just like Polt has been with CM Storm! :D

gMfftjml.jpg

julGWpFl.jpg

Edit: SICK early defense and tank push from Bomber vs jjakji in Game 1! :D

Edit2: Bomber 2-0's jjakji in dominating fashion. Made him look like an absolute scrub. The amount of damage Bomber can get done with drop tactics is disgusting. lol

Aaron

Slick hidden widow mine by polt. Won't save him against a protoss, but he's doing his best.

Amazing win by Polt against storm and collossi. His attacks were so good.

SamuraiX-

MajOr with that impressive 2-1 victory over Bbyong to take first in the group.

Bbyong plays way too standard. MajOr with dem mind game tacticz.

SamuraiX-

ABomb with a MASSIVE upset, 2-0'ing Bbyong and making it to the quarters! I would normally say fuck Protoss but Bbyong simply got REKT for playing too standard, not understanding the concept of a timing attack and forgetting the fact that MULEs exist.

Playoff bracket!

KfX0oo3.png

SamuraiX-

Polt playing carelessly and jjakji is just locked in.

3-0 is likely but Polt is very capable of the backdoor sweep if he wakes himself up.

Aaron

TLO is playing so well against Bomber. Has him on the ropes.

Early zerg attack going into roaches when Bomber prepared for banelings was so good. Then to stay on roaches when Bomber expected mutas was even better.

SamuraiX-

Yeah, TLO's preparation has been fantastic.

I can't even tell you how disappointed I'll be if he of all people knocks Bomber out though.

SamuraiX-

Bomber.. I... I just... WHY

It's that stupid little voice in your head that tells you "Hey, let's go check if he has a hidden fifth down there. Welp, no base... .... Hey, his main could really be easily accessed from here..."

You could see he even hesitated for a second wondering if he should do it. Then that fucking voice kicked in and well...

Aaron

Bomber made some big blunders, but TLO was playing out of his mind the whole series. If I hadn't known better I would have thought it was Life playing as zerg.

SamuraiX-

Fuck Protoss.

No, seriously. Fuck them all. They're all filth.

Not even MC's charisma can quench my absolute hate for them right now.

Top Bottom