• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If fighting games want to be mainstream esports, they need less fanservice

Theonik

Her costume has a zipper all the way down her crotch? I did not know this. If that's her official attire, is Deviant Art at a loss for where to begin?
E: Forgot I had quoted this. Quite common for jumpsuits actually. Otherwise it's impossible to go to the toilet with it without taking it off entirely.

no because when showing the actual runner they show from afar and there is no weird zooming at the women like street has for every super/ultra/intro/v-trigger
???
9hF5cJm.gif

joe2187

Banned
no because when showing the actual runner they show from afar and there is no weird zooming at the women like street has for every super/ultra/intro/v-trigger

You dont watch the olympics do you?

And you're getting mad at the cinematics now? they do that for every character, it's not specific to the female characters (Besides R Mika....but that's for obvious reasons)

Also, the some of the more modest costumes for R Mika and Ibuki in the game are their swimsuit alts

tumblr_o9u3ndEsup1usrgjso2_500.gif

Pachinko

I've long been of 2 minds on the whole "war on fanservice" that assholes online will lovingly refer to as "SJW's taking away our anime tiddy and vagina bones".

At the most basic level , if Capcom wants SFV to be taken seriously outside of the core audience of players and viewers then it will need to make the game appear as "all ages" as is possible for a game depicting cartoonish characters beating the snot out of each other.

So being realistic here - it needs to be on par with what is depicted on prime time television in the US.

So , honest thoughts here - I don't think there's anything so outlandishly titillating in SFV that it warrents costume switching. There are lewd anime tiddies and butts sure but honestly , none of this stuff is any worse than the closest live action equivalent - WWE.

Sure, there is plenty of male gaze going on , perhaps more than in any previous SF title and yes, the character models are more detailed then they've ever been but , I really don't think any of this stuff is so over the top perverted that it warrents censorship.

Thing is though and this is a point many broflake types out there need to wrap their heads around - it's not up to me or you. If Capcom or ESPN or Disney or hell, even EVO decide that something goes past a certain line , it is fully within their control to alter their own game for broadcast.

Personally I'm still wondering what they'll do if a Laura ever makes top 8 at EVO , not even a single outfit of hers is "safe" based on their reluctance to show cammy's butt or Mika's boobs. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that Lauras entire character design is simply "sexy Brazilian woman" Her battle start up animation, win quotes and 90% of her animations were all hand crafted by possibly the horniest artist on the team.

About the only thing I can think of trying is if they have a "broadcast mode" enabled for future tournaments. It leaves in only broadcast approved costumes and colors for all the characters and , possibly turns off breast physics. Hell, in this way they could honestly even add back in Cammy and Mikas old CA animations and maybe even further censor them in broadcast mode.

The long story made short here is that it doesn't matter if 90% of us aren't "offended" by yet another game filled with fan service. It matters if capcom feels this is a problem and if it is preventing people from watching or playing the game.

Hyun Sai

No one battled an eye for Tracer because it reveals way less, and due to being an FPS we don't see much anyway ^^.

In Overwatch we got this :

Versus this in SFV :

And it's hilarious to see the real life trackers for justification. Of course in real life women are already sexualized and objectified. Just compare the men and women attire of many sports, seems like all women obviously use their skin to breathe AKA Quiet ^^.

So yes, in the end it's all eye candy, doing young girls half naked using sport suit as justification is very smart.

If course it's not Rashid with the sport speedo, huh ? Poor Urien got to use a cheat code to reveal some skin...

joe2187

Banned
No one battled an eye for Tracer because it reveals way less, and due to being an FPS we don't see much anyway ^^.

And it's hilarious to see the real life trackers for justification. Of course in real life women are already sexualized and objectified. Just compare the men and women attire of many sports, seems like all women obviously use their skin to breathe AKA Quiet ^^.

So yes, in the end it's all eye candy, doing young girls half naked using sport suit as justification is very smart.

If course it's not Rashid with the sport speedo, huh ? Poor Urien got to use a cheat code to reveal some skin...

I cant tell if this is serious or sarcasm.

A.Romero

Wouldn't have an official E-Sports custom (maybe everyone uses a lose T-Shirt and Black cargo pants) solve any issues that might be related to this without affecting the personality of the game for millions of players around the world that don't play competitively and won't be broadcasting their fights?

Have you ever played street Fighter ? Half of the designs are straight copies of JoJo characters

Yes, I'm aware. My point is that D is at least something a bit more interesting than "catgirl with fur covering her bits and that's about it" in that sheet.

I was 13 when Super came out and Cammy was new. She was aimed at me, more or less. Darkstalkers came out almost a year after and I thought Felicia was kind of overdone and more blatant by a mile.

So do I! I'd love for female characters to have outlandish and crazy designs, that don't end up being thongs and tits that by all reasoning, should've popped out after 1 jump.

And fuck off I ain't avatar quoting you!

Alice Madness Returns had awesome outlandish outfits.

c5a90d3bf6a3a619b062e9f2a3d94701.jpg
:p I was hoping to get avatar quoted, it rarely ever happens to me. Those are some sick designs, I love them! That's exactly the kind of stuff I want in my fighting games. Devs should go all out with their designs and shouldn't be held back in any way. As long as they aren't making offensive or insulting designs I'm okay.

As a fan of fighting games who couldn't care less about esports on their own and who barely watches tornaments... I want Capcom to give me the option for a more conservative Laura. I want them to cater to me, a fan. What I want as a fan doesn't interfere with what you want, as a fan, so why do people keep acting like it does?
I'm sorry if I came off that way. You misunderstand me, I'm okay with conservative clothing options as well. I'm all about options and freedom. Capcom should give options to all their fans, they can give crazy outlandish outfits as well as conservative outfits. If you ask me, they should even go a step further and give us full costume customization like the Soul Calibur games. That way fans can chose what they want their favorite characters to wear :).

brad-t

All these comments focusing entirely on how covered/uncovered they are is just absurd. Clothing is not the only thing that contributes to a design's sexualization and even when it does, it's not just based on the quantity of skin shown but also on how the game highlights those aspects.

ZdkDzk

I'm sorry if I came off that way. You misunderstand me, I'm okay with conservative clothing options as well. I'm all about options and freedom. Capcom should give options to all their fans, they can give crazy outlandish outfits as well as conservative outfits. If you ask me, they should even go a step further and give us full costume customization like the Soul Calibur games. That way fans can chose what they want their favorite characters to wear :).
Edit.

Hassun

Neo Member
Until 'offline' tournaments have full integration of player profiles and settings (not impossible but not really a thing yet) the whole custom outfit argument is moot.
Only the default set is important. Perhaps a (slightly) expanded list for the stream setup.

That being said, I vastly prefer premade costumes over the customized/assembled tragedies from SoulCalibur or Tekken.

Because sexualization has been in videogames for so long, it's normalised enough that a lot of gamers don't see an issue with it. So when changes happen to be more family-friendly for certain audiences with either default costumes changed/poses/camera angles/alternative outfits made, the normalisation being messed around with hurts them. While for others, it's kind of a non-issue if there are such changes.

When people say "actually, stop being such a prude" they're reticent of any change and they want others to change to be comfortable with the status quo. The whole "prude", "censorship!", and "actually I'm sex positive, why are you slut-shaming these female characters" argument falls flat because these characters aren't informing you about their sexual expression. You can be fine with characters having sex, being open about their sexuality and relationships, in a story like Wolfenstein TNO or Mass Effect or Persona etc while also not being for sexualized outfits. In those games, the characters are respected and they have agency. These sexualized characters aren't expressing that bit of depth or context. The camera lingers over them in a leery manner. Certain poses don't make sense except to satisfy a gaze. They don't have stories behind them while you watch them fight in skimpy clothes that contextualise all of it. It's pretty rare where the clothing decisions actually make sense.

Then you have the whole inequality issue that not as many male characters are sexualised and objectified. Maybe if we reached a point where it's 50-50 sexualization of male and female characters, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Still, you'd have the general public constantly asking questions of why these characters dress like that and you having to explain in a wishy-washy way since there's no context that it's just how it has been. So either you're open to a bigger audience being allowed to embrace these games when their sensitivity to sexualization is catered to. Or you're in an exclusive club where sexualised female characters have to stay, nothing has to be changed, and if you don't like it, GTFO.

It's funny, because Cammy barely got redesigned, yet R Mika got some redesign a bit (despite the butt floss, her outfit is less silly than in A3). This almost feels like if they had cut Cammy out of the game we'd not be having this conversation about SFV nearly as much.

I want a potential SFVI to pull a SF3 and just not bring back pretty much anybody unless there's a significant leap in ages/designs to accompany it.

Top Bottom