• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Nintendo invests in outstanding hardware yet still fails to win over 3rd parties..

Would you buy their next console as a nod for at least trying?

So like a $300 participation trophy? Yeah no.

Voting with your wallet. If the people who at present demand they make a powerful console don't support then what reason does Nintendo have to ever go that route again?

Neoxon

I'll still get it for Nintendo's games. I've come to terms with Nintendo not getting most third party support, I have a PS4 for that.

Nintendo will never win over 3rd parties.

That can't be their strategy for success, even if they could.

3rd parties have little to do with the success of Nintendo's future. At least not in the traditional sense.

Zebei

No because I care about software not hardware.

If the games are great, first party or otherwise, i'll buy it regardless of what their plan to entice third parties is. If the games are shit or there aren't enough good games I won't buy it to give some a participation award.

If they make good games and get smart about getting the indies and second parties, I'll be fine with purchasing their hardware.

AAA generally doesn't appeal to me, but Nintendo should pull all its power to get the up and coming indies and collect second parties. The humble bundle series they do periodically is a start, but they should be more aggressive in the future.

I have too many platforms that can play third party games that are multiplatform (PC, PS4, XB1), so really the only reason I'd get an NX would be for first party software or third party exclusives.

Well, if they still provide a lot of software even as HD ports of the portable titles then that's fine.
I imagine that it will probably never be as bad as Wii U as long as they manage to pull off that shared library idea. Should get some japanese 3rd party support that the handhelds tend to get, though

Shauni

I doubt they'll make one if this one bombs.

You would still get some type of hardware, but it would probably be very, very divorced from the idea of a traditional home console or handheld. I'm not sure what exactly, but Nintendo will always have some type of hardware on the market in some capacity.

Neiteio

I've never needed third parties on a Nintendo console. Nintendo games alone make them worth buying. They're probably the only dev who could survive so long carrying a console by themselves.

But I understand it increases their prospects in the mainstream market if they have those third-party titles. Still, I have my PS4 for third-party games (and once I rebuild it, a gaming PC, too).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Who is buying Nintendo hardware for third parties in the first place? 3DS atleast gets a fuck-ton of RPGs and other Japanese stuff, but the consoles are pretty much solely for Nintendo first party.

I'm gonna buy it for the unique first party games cos I can get third party games on 3 other platforms already.

Really don't get this obsession with third parties.

Neoxon

Let's be honest, the audience that Nintendo attracts these days are far from what western third party publishers want. Until Nintendo proves that they can cultivate such an audience that western third parties want, it'll mostly be just Nintendo, Japanese publishers, & indies for the NX Platform. Right now's the time for Nintendo to begin their road to recovery, start to get the attention of core gamers, & eventually win back the trust of western publishers. Making the NX Console more powerful than the competition can help, but it won't be a magic fix for Nintendo's situation. Until then, we just have to live with the main 3 sources of games mentioned earlier. The sooner we accept this, the better.

Lux R7

What am I, a charity?

image.php

this is just perfect.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
People treat this for-profit corporation real weird.

MAX PAYMENT

Buy their console as a nod just for trying?

I am consistently blown away at the hows, whens, and whys when it comes to GAF members spending their money.

I don't give a fuck what else they try as long as I get my usual fix i.e. 1st party titles.

Like if there's some exclusive like Bayonetta 2 I'm gonna be like we take those obviously but that's not the main draw.

Nintendo will never win over 3rd parties.

That can't be their strategy for success, even if they could.

3rd parties have little to do with the success of Nintendo's future. At least not in the traditional sense.
i'm not sure about this. If they made the system really easy to port to, I'm sure third parties would go in unless sales were really, really god awful. After all, the issue with ports are opportunity cost. Would the time and staff used on porting the game make more money than devoting said resources to a different project? If porting is super easy, that answer is often yes. The issue the wii and wii u had is that porting required new engines a lot of the time since the wii and wii u often were 't compatible with newer engines. Notice a lot of wii u and wii ports were handled by a completely seperate studio to the main ones. But as we see more and more standardized engines like unreal 4 and unity, this should become less of an issue, especially if Nintendo makes the architecture easier to work with and more similar to what the other systems use

GamerJM

Banned
I'd probably buy their console no matter what as long as it has the better version of the new Zelda. It could completely bomb otherwise and I'd still buy it.

Also, I'll be disappointed if their next console doesn't get any third-party support. Both the Gamecube and the Wii had decent third-party support if nowhere near the PS2/Xbox/360/PS3 levels, and the kinds of third-party games that released on both of those consoles aren't really releasing on the PS4/X1/PC anymore either. I buy Nintendo consoles primarily for Nintendo games but I also buy them in hopes that they'll get a few third-party gems here and there.

If the rumors of them being able to make a faster turn around on games is true, I'll buy one for 1st party alone. 3rd parties being on board is still a big factor though.

Faustek

Uhm..yeah? Not every game is Western you know.
So adding the first party games I care about and whatever Japanese devs decides to make exclusive. Yeah I'll keep my pre order up either way.

Betty

Banned
A few years down the line when it has a library of exclusives that make the purchase worth it like the Wii U eventually had, sure.

Nintendo will never win the favor of third parties again because unless they decide to do a radical change of strategy, Sony and Microsoft will always be more willing and more competent when it comes to releasing powerful hardware.
But the true main issue is that third-parties have to compete with monsters like Mario and Zelda, on the same console those games get released for (and often those games are made by Nintendo, who also made the hardware, so they have a major advantage over third-parties too)

Nintendo hasn't attracted third-parties since the Nintendo 64. Let it go.
As far as I'm concerned, I already have a PS4 for every non-Nintendo game I could want.

If Nintendo would go all in and made a very powerful console, got their most core franchises like Metroid and F-Zero a new face with state of the art graphics and a less kiddy cartooney look along with securing some upgraded definitive versions of third party must-have titles then they would have the attention of a lot of people and, in consequence, third party developers.

I really think they should try that route at some point. What they're fount is just pushing them out into a corner of the video-game market.

And, to answer ops question, yes, that's probably the only way i would buy another Nintendo console, I need something different from them.

Ansatz

I'm not convinced people would buy the NX even if it had all the multiplats, hardware on par with the competition and proper online infrastructure (in-game voice chat, streaming, etc.)

At the end of the day they will compare the first party lineups and pick the one that has similar games to said AAA multiplats since that's what they're into in the first place.

udivision

There's more to third party support than hardware, at least for Nintendo. They have to be aggressive in getting those marketing deals or licensing IPs. They can't just bring a beefy machine to table.

Top Bottom