• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Nintendo invests in outstanding hardware yet still fails to win over 3rd parties..

Ansatz

That's not really true.

Some of them failed, certainly, just as some would-be AAA shooters and open-world games failed. But Just Dance and other casual/family titles generally did quite well, because that's the audience Nintendo succeeded in cultivating.

I mean, there's a reason why Just Dance, Lego, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity are the only Western third-party franchises that still reliably show up on Wii U.

Fair enough, I was probably thinking about games I would personally be interested in, core oriented if you will. You can track over the gens how the ratio of 1st to 3rd party games changes in my Nintendo collection. Literally the only physical release I have on Wii U is Shovel Knight... 3DS looks better thanks to Layton and some rhythm games.

I guess the only way to get major 3rd party support is to build up a high enough userbase strictly using 1st party games to the point other companies can no longer ignore its potential. So, catch-22.

Who honestly gives a fuck about third parties on Nintendo systems at this point?

People who want to play Nintendo titles without spending $300 on a piece of hardware with minimal functionality compared to its competitors. The great Nintendo games every 6 months or so isn't enough to justify investing in a platform that only plays Nintendo games. My PS4 has quite a few good games, but also can play Blu-Rays, function as a media server, and has just about every streaming service imaginable (I only wish it had HBO Go\Now). I would love to play Splatoon and SSB, but I'm not gonna pay ~$450 just to do so and then have a console that sits there collecting dust.

Striek

I'm surprised so many people think Nintendo can carry a console by themselves, and that they don't need third-parties.

The success of their consoles is heavily correlated with the amount of third-party support.

What's with the mass of Nintendo 3rd party threads lately?

I mean, half of them basically trash the NX before it's even revealed...

Ansatz

I'm surprised so many people think Nintendo can carry a console by themselves, and that they don't need third-parties.

The success of their consoles is heavily correlated with the amount of third-party support.

If you think of the console as just a revision, like New 3DS is to OG 3DS, they technically can. They just need to adjust R&D, marketing cost, etc. accordingly.

The only problem is investors won't be happy since they expect growth, but Nintendo should seek it elsewhere (mobile, qol)

Effectively exiting the console space, or positioning themselves as niche. Whichever interpretation you prefer. I hope they do it

chozen

What's with the mass of Nintendo 3rd party threads lately?

I mean, half of them basically trash the NX before it's even revealed...

It's not even the consoles fault, what games will that console have? Do I even need to buy it?

I want Zelda but that alone shouldn't warrant a purchase and everything else is irrelevant to me (opinion) maybe except for Metroid (IF They even make one) as well. But 2 games every 5 years or so?

A big NO for the big N.

Az987

all good things
I could care less about third party games on Nintendos home consoles. Chances are, even if they were there I'd probably buy them on a different console anyway.

OP, I have bought both the 3DS, Wii U, and (small) New 3DS the day they launched, and I'm pretty much guaranteed to buy the NX at launch.

Even _I_ am not going to buy the NX "because Nintendo tried." I'm going to buy it because it's going to get all of the new Nintendo games. If it didn't why on earth would I bother. That's an absolute minimum of $200 spent "for trying", and probably much more. There are much more worthwhile causes in the world to give money to.

What?!?

With no third party support you really need to like just about everything that Nintendo puts out to be able to justify your console purchase and be ok with there being regular gaps between new releases.

I could care less about third party games on Nintendos home consoles. Chances are, even if they were there I'd probably buy them on a different console anyway.

I think Nintendo desperately needs to change this way of thinking by their customers if they ever want to be competitive again outside of a fluke like the Wii.

MUnited83

For you.
they could have a console with the power of three 980tis taped together and a software API that made magical automatic ports and they would still have shitty 3rd party support.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't buy Nintendo hardware for third party software, but if the third party games are good I will buy them.

As long as the first party stuff is up to snuff, the hardware is mine regardless.

ampere

I bought the Wii U, but I'm not going to buy the next console just because "they're trying".

I'll buy it if it has compelling exclusive software and looks to be worth the asking price.

They aren't doing poorly because the hardware isn't good enough, look at how well the Wii sold and that was basically a Gamecube

I'll buy it even with zero 3rd party support. I buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games. 3rd parties are a non-factor.

They need to attract more than diehard Nintendo fans unless they want another Gamecube or even worse Wii U. With the handheld market shrinking they actually need a more successful home console now.

Yea, ill buy any Nintendo console day 1, I have the Xbox One, Pc, no need EVER for a Playstation.

I always buy a Nintendo Console for there games, always.

Menitta

In a business industry, just trying gets nowhere. Nintendo is going to try to do two things with the NX: Get first party games and get 3rd party games on the system. I'm 85% sure that there will be 1st party games on NX. 3rd party? There's no telling. It doesn't matter if they try to get a lot of 3rd party games. It matters if they succeed. If there's not enough 3rd party games on the system, they may have tried, sure, but not hard enough.

They need to attract more than diehard Nintendo fans unless they want another Gamecube or even worse Wii U. With the handheld market shrinking they actually need a more successful home console now.

Yeah, but personally speaking, so long as they keep doing what they're doing with their 1st party line-up I'm there day-1. Even if 3rd party ports that are easily attainable on practically all other platforms anyway aren't on Nintendo's.

Striek

If you think of the console as just a revision, like New 3DS is to OG 3DS, they technically can. They just need to adjust R&D, marketing cost, etc. accordingly.

The only problem is investors won't be happy since they expect growth, but Nintendo should seek it elsewhere (mobile, qol)

Effectively exiting the console space, or positioning themselves as niche. Whichever interpretation you prefer. I hope they do it
Well even assuming you can design, build and market a console cheaply enough (which is a big assumption), capture your hardcore fans (who will no doubt be underwhelmed by such a strategy) and profitably build software for that niche (who increasingly expect better production values), it would be an unsustainable strategy falling behind the general gaming market while being reliant on a dwindling base (harder to recapture with each incremental update) so investors obviously wouldn't be happy. Frankly, I think the idea is terrible.

Now, as to why you would hope they make themselves a niche in a market they've shown they can dominate, or exit it altogether, speaks volumes as to whether having access to great Nintendo games is your priority...

HowZatOZ

Banned
I think the most interesting situation with the NX is if Nintendo has gone that extra mile to offer decent power, decent dev tools and yet third parties still deny their existence on the platform. If that does happen it basically cements that third parties give no shit about hardware and instead about status quo which is quite petty.

K.Sabot

Nx will pay for the wii u's sins, the timing for releasing a current gen console when ps4 already eating all of its cake is plain awful. I don't expect 3rd party support in the slightest.

NX 3rd party will die because the past couple consoles didn't make an effort towards it.

Snaggle

Banned
Lol why the hell would I give a multi billion dollar company money for 'trying', especially when I've spent money on their products my whole life and they seem to keep making either the same games with the same characters or shoe horning motion controls and other gimmicks instead of giving me the things I want like unified account system, decent graphical capabilities etc. If it doesn't appeal to me or it's not going to succeed in the market....too bad for them. Nintendo aren't a family member which I'm going to miss if they're ever gone.

Striek

they could have a console with the power of three 980tis taped together and a software API that made magical automatic ports and they would still have shitty 3rd party support.

Yeah, because that console would be crazy expensive and would have almost no userbase to sell games to.

But I know what you were getting at; the bullshit idea that third-parties dislike Nintendo and wont create games for their systems regardless of how Nintendo actually designs the console. In reality theres zero proof that publishers have avoided Nintendo's recent systems for any reason except Nintendo making it really, really hard for them to do so.

I think the most interesting situation with the NX is if Nintendo has gone that extra mile to offer decent power, decent dev tools and yet third parties still deny their existence on the platform. If that does happen it basically cements that third parties give no shit about hardware and instead about status quo which is quite petty.

Big, billion dollar companies are not petty. Nintendo has made it quite difficult for publishers to support their home consoles in the last couple decades. If publishers don't flock to the NX, its Nintendo's failure, and theirs alone.

Pastry

Banned
Third parties go where the customers are, not where the power is.

Az987

all good things
I think Nintendo desperately needs to change this way of thinking by their customers if they ever want to be competitive again outside of a fluke like the Wii.

I don't agree. Third parties will attract more 1 console only people. People who don't own a Wii U right now because of that reason. They aren't Nintendo's customers anymore.

If they get the best versions of third party games than I'll buy them or if they get exclusive games from third parties I'll buy those.

I see the chances of that happening as slim to none. When has Nintendo ever had the best versions of third party games? A GameCube game here and there?

Chindogg

As long as the first party games are good, I'll get the console.

I have a PC and other consoles for 3rd party games.

Platy

There will not be a next console.

Failing with an outstanding hardware means missing a gigantic amount of money

Neoxon

With the level of censorship Nintendo requires for all games these days, third parties may not even bother for NX SKUs of their games.
They will have to censor small details and it would just be annoying.
If they didn't censor Bayonetta, I wouldn't worry too much about third party censorship.

I don't agree. Third parties will attract more 1 console only people. People who don't own a Wii U right now because of that reason. They aren't Nintendo's customers anymore.

If they get the best versions of third party games than I'll buy them or if they get exclusive games from third parties I'll buy those.

I see the chances of that happening as slim to none. When has Nintendo ever had the best versions of third party games? A GameCube game here and there?

Should they not be trying to attract more one console owners? Why should Nintendo be content filling a secondary role while Microsoft and Sony platforms provide more complete experiences?

WillyFive

Making graphical intensive hardware is not how you win third parties, it's by cultivating a strong relationship and listening to their needs.

If they didn't do that, then they didn't actually try.

Would you buy their next console as a nod for at least trying?

Voting with your wallet. If the people who at present demand they make a powerful console don't support then what reason does Nintendo have to ever go that route again?

No. I will buy it if it has games I want to play and doesn't have some absurdly annoying gimmick.

Faustek

I'll buy it even with zero 3rd party support. I buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games. 3rd parties are a non-factor.

I know I'm kinda the same. As I stated earlier the random exclusive Japanese game will be a bonus.
But I wonder how many else feel the same and how much that has to do with third parties ignoring Nintendo.

Btw this is a purchase as long as it's region free. If it's region locked and has the same shitty account policy I'm cancelling. Not dealing with backwards policies anymore also assuming we're talking about a home console and not a portable one.

asagami_

Banned
The only third party who Nintendo needs to appeal are the japanese developers. Outside Square-Enix I doubt there is going to be a lot of them who will take full advantage to the specs from PS4/Xbox One, and they will have a big problem with the new "consoles".

ar4757

I'll buy it if it has games I want, simple as that. I skipped the Wii U, couldn't come to terms with the controller. I fully intend to buy the NX near launch though, based on what I've heard regarding the launch lineup. Can't skip a Zelda game, and I'd love to play Smash on something other than the 3ds.

CHC

Would you buy their next console as a nod for at least trying?

lol

But really, I'd rather they just get out of the hardware game altogether. I don't want the expense and loss of space that comes with buying another console just so I can play a couple of their games on it. They make wonderful software, but not wonderful enough for me to keep investing in consoles specifically for them.

You can't call a piece of hardware outstanding if it has no third party support. One of the most important judgements of a game console should be its ability to attract and sustain mass development support.

"Outstanding hardware" is a really nebulous thing to comment on.

If it fails to win over third parties, depending on what Nintendo puts out, yeah I might skip the system. I really enjoyed a lot of the third party JRPGs on the DS, Wii and 3DS. And the Wii U was a totally barren wasteland in comparison. If the next system is a barren wasteland for the genres I care about again, then yeah, I'm probably out.

Pizza

Eeeeeeeeeh no. I wouldn't. If a couple years go buy and Nintendo or third parties have provided a library of games that I think are worth buying a console for, sure. But the post-Wii launch drought killed my blind Nintendo love, and Nintendoland Fireworks convinced me a Wii U was not a console I needed at launch. Regardless of how great the NX looks, I'm not buying it at launch.

Top Bottom