• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If there's one thing this generation did right its character models

RELAYER

Banned
I will remain unimpressed with character models until belly buttons cease to be textures and we are rendering them in real time.

Lime

I agree: Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Witcher 2, Arkham City (minus the style), Mass Effect (aliens), Battlefield 3, Alice: Madness Returns, Mafia 2, off the top of my head.

And to just throw some more love at Silent Hill 3:

izmBBIiftFUZ.gif

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe the scene isn't all that different, but the models are night and day, blocky body, blocky hair versus extremely smooth hair and shoulders.
The hair is worse, but the character models seem pretty much the same. It's just a very close shot. If you look at her at other points in the trailer, or the other people at the party, they're very detailed and smooth looking. Here's two pics I just grabbed.
8dF9i.png

It's a shame we only have that trailer is such crappy quality really.

Perkel

Banned
normal mapping work like magic this gen.

next gen should be some proper IQ and self shadowing. (sub surface scatering is still thing of future consedering how taxing it is for todays rigs).

Famassu

That's just typical SE KH:BBS bullshot "target render".

Non-target render:
That's also very much from a non-finished game. They've at the very least revamped the lighting system since that trailer was shown, probably polished the character models as well. That bullshot isn't a target render, it's from a time when the game was still running on PC and not actual PS3 hardware. The latter is what they had achieved with PS3 at the time, I'm sure it'll be better once finished.

Red UFO

Silent Hill 3 should be exempt from discussions like these, since the developers obviously sold their souls to get a game to look like that.

Those are from FMV cutscenes. aka: Videos, aka: not real-time.

It does not matter. These are still character models with more polygons. Nobody cares that Drake's face does not look good with the same zoom level in-game, you overall barely look at his face during the game.

Anyway, I don't like stereotypes. Muscle guys, hot chicks... And I don't like Square Enix (and followers) char design. Everything about those is so fake, whenever I play FF, I just wish I could slaughter my controlled characters.

B.K.

I was surprised the NPC character models in Final Fantasy XIII-2 are so bad. The women in
Archylte Steppe
look like they're devolving into Neanderthals.

qcf x2

Someone post a Madden pic. They still can't get proportions and posture right. Well, it's not that they can't, I'm sure. :p

Pimpbaa

I don't get what happened with Miranda, they had a hot girl to use, and still fucked it up.

She looks great when she isn't talking. What they fucked up with her and male default shepard was animation. They don't even know how to make their models smile without looking creepy.

StuBurns

Banned
I was surprised the NPC character models in Final Fantasy XIII-2 are so bad. The women in
Archylte Steppe
look like they're devolving into Neanderthals.
XIII had the sneaky thing of better models in the cutscenes which were prerendered than in the game too.
She looks great when she isn't talking. What they fucked up with her and male default shepard was animation. They don't even know how to make their models smile without looking creepy.
I don't think so, she looks playdoie, and like she's had a stroke.

CorvoSol

It does not matter. These are still character models with more polygons. Nobody cares that Drake's face does not look good with the same zoom level in-game, you overall barely look at his face during the game.

Anyway, I don't like stereotypes. Muscle guys, hot chicks... And I don't like Square Enix (and followers) char design. Everything about those is so fake, whenever I play FF, I just wish I could slaughter my controlled characters.

Don't play FF then.

Lime

It's not a game that usually gets brought up when talking about visuals, but I think Catherine's models are really impressive

http://i.imgur.com/w6eCS.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/24dUp.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OnmFt.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/am8qQ.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

The visuals alone make me want to play the game.

gogogow

That's also very much from a non-finished game. They've at the very least revamped the lighting system since that trailer was shown, probably polished the character models as well. That bullshot isn't a target render, it's from a time when the game was still running on PC and not actual PS3 hardware. The latter is what they had achieved with PS3 at the time, I'm sure it'll be better once finished.
You just described a target render. Creating a demo on the PC at a time when they didn't have the final specs of the PS3, thus creating a target render of what the final game would look like on actual PS3 hardware.

StuBurns

Banned
You just described a target render. Creating a demo on the PC at a time when they didn't have the final specs of the PS3, thus creating a target render of what the final game would look like on actual PS3 hardware.
They had the PS3 specs, that trailer is from the FFXIII demo disc.

I think what actually happened was much like FFXIII, the 'in-game' cutscenes were not real-time, they were prerendered at better than real-time quality, and like XIII-2, they've changed their mind and decided in-game cutscenes will be real-time.

gogogow

They had the PS3 specs, that trailer is from the FFXIII demo disc.

I think what actually happened was much like FFXIII, the 'in-game' cutscenes are not real-time, they're prerendered at better than real-time quality, and like XIII-2, they've changed they've changed their mind and decided in-game cutscenes will be real-time.

Doesn't matter whether they had the specs or not, that only means it's full on bullshot render. Just like what they did with KH BBS and FFXIII.

Bullshot versus actual in-game:

ffxiiibshotl4itc.jpg

uhhr5cl2.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Doesn't matter whether they had the specs or not, that only means it's full on bullshot render. Just like what they did with KH BBS and FFXIII.

Bullshot versus actual in-game:
That could be CG versus prerendered in-game assets.

We already know Versus is removing CG and replacing it with in-game cutscenes in places, it's possible XIII went thru the same process. But screenshots are a different thing really. There are cutscenes in XIII which couldn't be run in real-time on PS3, same in MGS4, I don't think it makes them 'target renders', or lies either. Unless they specifically claim it's real-time.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FFXII nailed it for me, that was the end game

edit, almost forgot about MGS2. Jesus Christ that was amazing

PS2 was a beast, the good thing about games being made for a specific hardware in mind is that developers could push the machine to its limits and boy did they produce some REALLY impressive stuff.

TedNindo

PS2 was a beast, the good thing about games being made for a specific hardware in mind is that developers could push the machine to its limits and boy did they produce some REALLY impressive stuff.

That's true. It's one of the biggest advantages of exclusive games. Especially on a closed platform like consoles.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Left 4 Dead 2 EASILY has some of the most remarkable human character models I've seen in gaming:

l4d2_rochelle.jpg

l4d2.jpg

l4d.jpg

TedNindo

Left 4 Dead 2 EASILY has some of the most remarkable human character models I've seen in gaming:

Those are pretty amazing. I've played the game a lot but I've never noticed that they looked that good because I have never inspected the models close enough.

I'm not that surprised though. HL2's models and animations were amazing when it launched. It would make sense that the tech improved since then.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Those are pretty amazing. I've played the game a lot but I've never noticed that they looked that good because I have never inspected the models close enough.

I'm not that surprised though. HL2's models and animations were amazing when it launched. It would make sense that the tech improved since then.

L4D 1 and 2 both have amazing character models

943175920d1245553759-l4d-skin-francis-hells-angel-hells-1.jpg

Top Bottom