• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could change the genre of any game franchise...

Lakuza

Dead Space as a VR first person survival horror
Would prefer the original dead space game with more survival and scares.

One Piece Pirate warriors into a action rpg/adventure game
Starts from the very beginning and makes its way up to dressrosa, including ship sailing gameplay, explorable cities, full blown boss fights. With the amount of content to cover this would need a godly budget/funding and still take forever to make XD

Playstation All Stars as an arena brawler
If anyone has played powerstone, like that but with ps characters.

Dark souls as a VR first person stealth game
Exploring the world, too weak to fight most enemies so you have to stealth and use environment traps and objects to your advantage. Bit of an experimental idea though hehe.

Final Fantasy X - should be a sports game not a RPG.

Imagine a game titled ESPN's Final Fantasy X: Blitzball 2K18. It would have the following features:

- Expanded league of 32 teams from all over Spira, divided into 2 conferences.

- Every blitzball sphere is fully rendered thematically to match the hometown environment.

- Blitzball spectators are seen enjoying the matches - fully powered by the cloud and Forza audience sprite models.

- Career mode including pre-draft workouts before entering the Blitzball combine.

- League salary cap that progressively increases every couple of seasons

- An array of off-season workout training facilities for your favorite team to train and practice at.

- Full 3-dimensional maneuverability in the blitzball sphere including a "dynamic hit stick" mechanic to pummel your opponent in close-quarters.

- Home and away team uniforms for every team, along with legacy and themed uniforms for special match events.

- Pre-season matches to help your front office analyze your prospective players and their progress.

I'm sure I can think of more features to sploosh at but I'm at work and using mobile so yeeeaaahhh.

RedSwirl

Break AC Black Flag off into its own separate pirate game if that counts. Basically make it a GTA-style thing or an Elite-style Fight/Trade/Explore game but on the high seas. Explore various eras of naval piracy throughout history.

What about that "Dragon Age Tactics" that BioWare suggested? They said it'd be in the vein of Fire Emblem or XCOM. That would be the best way to make a Dragon Age Mobile or Switch game probably. Honestly, that wouldn't be a bad idea for Mass Effect either. It might be a way to get ship-to-ship combat gameplay in.

I'd turn GTA V into a Walking Simulator.

In other words, strip out all the guns, explosions, and potty humor. Keep the world as gloriously detailed as it is right now. And create personal, human stories. No bombast. Just authentic portrayals as found in titles like Gone Home or Life Is Strange, minus that whole time-travel thing. :p

Bonus props if you could make it a vehicle Simulation game as well. Taxis, Bus driver, etc.

I think a lot of open--world games would be nice with modes like this. Maybe just difficulty modes where there's absolutely 0 combat and you just engage with the characters. I think there's some audience out there that might like that.

The Lego games as non-Lego games? Not sure if that counts but it'd be nice having a lot of these properties with more realistic models/textures. (Lego Jurassic World coming to mind for me. I just want to play as, and alongside, "realistic" dinosaurs in a single player game ffs)

RPGam3r

Pokemon into something more action based. Using terrain, spacing etc on top of existing rock paper scissors. Make it a main line entry.

The anime make Pokemon battles look energetic with more than type weaknesses dictating victories.

Sblargh

Banned
Alright, bear with me here, because this is nuts.

So you take classic but dead Irrational Games franchise "Freedom Force", a slow-paced top-down tactical arpg featuring original golden-agee and silver-age style superheroes and an fantastic character creator the likes of which probably inspired the likes of City of Heroes and Champions Online

So you take that game

And you make it a co-op, mission-based, arpg brawler with moment-to-moment gameplay in the vein of Infamous.

Otherwise you keep the general cast and story, and the character creation system (with some updates for designing characters visually instead of having to import custom models and skins). You also keep the vertical, highly interactive and destructible environments set in tight sections of the city, no open world.

And absolutely don't update the aesthetics from the obsessively old-school 50s-60s style.

Why? Because I love classic superheroes, love character creators, love co-op games, like more direct gameplay, and generally dislike open worlds. I also loved Freedom Force and its story/cast, realize it will never come back in its classic form, and want more people to experience the campy fun of the franchise.

I will do the opposite.
Freedom force into complete turn based like xcom, minus fog of war. Like that double fine chalice game.

Take their incredible character creator and basically give us videogame heroclix.

Bloodborne into an Animal Crossing clone:

"Spend your time improving Yharnam. Add more twisted statues to the roads!
Pray to Kos or some say Kosm to help you elevate the knowledge of your citizens.
Keep an eye on the different sects within the church, some of them are up to no good!

Bloodborne. New Leaf"

GamerJM

Banned
I would make League of Legends a Smash-style fighting game. I like the character designs and a lot of Riot are apparently big Smash fans, I just don't give a shit about MOBAs.

Smasher89

Tetris to a first person shooter would be interesting to see how a developer would manage that, not necceserely something that would be good but still.

Creepy

Senran Kagura.
Don't get me wrong I love the series, the girls and the fan service but those hack and slash type games are not the most engaging.

It'd be real nice if they made a 2D Fighter/VN similar to Blazblue... or maybe a Persona type game...

udivision

Pokemon into something more action based. Using terrain, spacing etc on top of existing rock paper scissors. Make it a main line entry.

The anime make Pokemon battles look energetic with more than type weaknesses dictating victories.

It's blasphemous, but I feel you could build an amazing Pokemon game off the back of Breath of the Wild. Rather than worrying about durability, you'd be managing a stamina pool shared between attacks and movement options in realtime.

Michael Vick Presents: Nintendogs.

Really though; Pokemon as an SRPG would be kinda cool. Have all 6 Pokemon out with different terrain types that affect line of sight, ability strength, etc.

Pokemon Conquest exists if that counts.

CEJames

Pokemon into whatever genre Breath of the Wild is.

That's an Open World Action Adventure(Not RPG).

Pokemon needs to be an MMO or Open World Action RPG
Sword Art Online needs to be an MMO
Ratchet & Clank can try out a racing edition...for w/e reason. I guess because Jak & Daxter had one.
Rocket League can be turned into a destruction derby racing game.
Uncharted should be an Open World game.
Legend of Heroes series can be an Action RPG similar to the Tales Of franchise.
Ar Tonelico Qoga should have been kept as a turn-based RPG. Failed as an Action RPG.
Final Fantasy 14 can be turned into a VR MMO.

Arjac

Maybe not a full genre conversion, but if Battlefield games continue to include campaign mode, mixing in strategy elements.
Instead of following a few individuals, you follow a unit collectively. Missions are full-scale battles with varying objectives and an emphasis on unit specialization. Player would switch to a different soldier on death (like a non-scripted version of BF1's intro) and could hot-swap between units for different tasks (with some incentive to use things besides tanks and aircraft).
  1. Serious mode: squads and vehicles that survive persist in later missions, gaining cosmetic additions or even special bonuses as they gain veterancy
  2. Extreme mode: Army management. New and improved gear gradually finds its way to the front-lines on both sides, player can prioritize certain options and potentially add captured enemy gear to the mix. (WW2 example, upgrade the guns on all your Shermans or pull some strings to begin getting Pershings instead? Stick with grease guns or use STGs and risk scavenging ammo?)
  3. Developer Must Die: Bring your army into multiplayer! Certain modes add bots to the mix, pulled directly from the players' armies. Perhaps even incorporating the hot-swap mechanic.

RedSwirl

Maybe not a full genre conversion, but if Battlefield games continue to include campaign mode, mixing in strategy elements.
Instead of following a few individuals, you follow a unit collectively. Missions are full-scale battles with varying objectives and an emphasis on unit specialization. Player would switch to a different soldier on death (like a non-scripted version of BF1's intro) and could hot-swap between units for different tasks (with some incentive to use things besides tanks and aircraft).
  1. Serious mode: squads and vehicles that survive persist in later missions, gaining cosmetic additions or even special bonuses as they gain veterancy
  2. Extreme mode: Army management. New and improved gear gradually finds its way to the front-lines on both sides, player can prioritize certain options and potentially add captured enemy gear to the mix. (WW2 example, upgrade the guns on all your Shermans or pull some strings to begin getting Pershings instead? Stick with grease guns or use STGs and risk scavenging ammo?)
  3. Developer Must Die: Bring your army into multiplayer! Certain modes add bots to the mix, pulled directly from the players' armies. Perhaps even incorporating the hot-swap mechanic.

This is almost the exact idea I had, if not for Battlefield then at least for some kind of military shooter. I want to see a AAA developer try to make a shooter with a totally dynamic battlefield where battles never happen the same way twice. With Battlefield this would basically be leveraging the strengths of its multiplayer, using the conquest tools to script large-scale story battles.

This is sort of what Arma does in certain modes, but I've wanted to see a game do it without the harsh sim elements and just make something accessible to the masses.

Samikaze

Holy FUCK please make Pokemon into an MMO already. It's so frustrating dealing with a franchise that's so perfectly designed for the kind of social experience the MMO genre provides and instead get gimped by the patented Nintendo diet-multiplayer features.

They did it. Pokemon World Online. I think it got shutdown.
It was awful.
It was essentially red/blue but with 200 reds running around. I saw 200 because only 200 players at a time could fit into the single server they had.

You spent the whole game getting challenged by players nonstop.

I can see it working if it was built from the ground up, but the one attempt so far was bad.

EDIT: just looked it up. It still exists, but sounds like they added some upgrades to it.

Arjac

This is almost the exact idea I had, if not for Battlefield then at least for some kind of military shooter. I want to see a AAA developer try to make a shooter with a totally dynamic battlefield where battles never happen the same way twice. With Battlefield this would basically be leveraging the strengths of its multiplayer, using the conquest tools to script large-scale story battles.

This is sort of what Arma does in certain modes, but I've wanted to see a game do it without the harsh sim elements and just make something accessible to the masses.
Potential Pitfalls
  1. It ends up like a bigger version of BLOPS2's strike force missions, where the player does 90% of the work anyways
  2. Player forgoes playing as infantry unless mandated because tanks and helos are overall better
Come to think of it, at least the 2nd issue would lend the idea to a WW2 setting. Helicopters aren't a thing yet and planes can't hold ground and still have to worry about AA. Tanks can ruin any mg nests and snipers they come across, but any given alley or hedgerow could be hiding a panzerfaust or even an AT gun. Company of Heroes's unit balance comes to mind here, though I'm sure there are better examples of this.

Intrigued to know more details about this! What about Pokemon's inner workings would make it a poor contender for an MMO?

for a mmo to be successful you need to make it so that the game would last months, i dont think that can be done with pokemon well, they would have to make to take much more experience to lvl pokemon or change the the very fundamentals of pokemon, which at that point it wouldn't be pokemon, also dont see how a turn based battle system would work with a mmo

and really the biggest reason i see for a pokemon mmo, is the social aspect, but the newer games make it very easy for people to organize an online match, and once pokemon comes to the switch it will be easier to do so with a better online system

Holy FUCK please make Pokemon into an MMO already. It's so frustrating dealing with a franchise that's so perfectly designed for the kind of social experience the MMO genre provides and instead get gimped by the patented Nintendo diet-multiplayer features.

Great idea. Pitch it to TPC.

"I have this idea for a Pokemon game. Its primary audience isn't children, it isn't portable, and it has little to no emphasis on local play."

Ushay

XCOM into a 3rd Person Tactical Shooter with pause power wheel like Mass Effect.
Halo into a MMO, shooter/rpg hybrid following UNSC Spartan deployment campaign across the galaxy. MS has always been at the forefront on online experiences, why don't they have a premier 1st party MMO yet?
Starcraft into a single player action campaign
Zelda into an open world action adventure .. oh wait.

Arjac

XCOM into a 3rd Person Tactical Shooter with pause power wheel like Mass Effect.
*cough cough*
2KG_TheBureauXD_BattleFocus.jpg

sn00zer

Guilty Gear asn an action RPG/ action adventure.....characters and world are so damn cool.

GG2 does not exist

Alright, bear with me here, because this is nuts.

So you take classic but dead Irrational Games franchise "Freedom Force", a slow-paced top-down tactical arpg featuring original golden-agee and silver-age style superheroes and an fantastic character creator the likes of which probably inspired the likes of City of Heroes and Champions Online

So you take that game

And you make it a co-op, mission-based, arpg brawler with moment-to-moment gameplay in the vein of Infamous.

Otherwise you keep the general cast and story, and the character creation system (with some updates for designing characters visually instead of having to import custom models and skins). You also keep the vertical, highly interactive and destructible environments set in tight sections of the city, no open world.

And absolutely don't update the aesthetics from the obsessively old-school 50s-60s style.

Why? Because I love classic superheroes, love character creators, love co-op games, like more direct gameplay, and generally dislike open worlds. I also loved Freedom Force and its story/cast, realize it will never come back in its classic form, and want more people to experience the campy fun of the franchise.

This is what I require

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Kotor stays Kotor in every way... but when you step into combat it turns in Jedi Academy with more status effects.

This sounds like the worst thing I could ever imagine. Why are people still hung up on that garbage combat from JO/JA? Lightsaber combat could be done so, so much better now. Shame nobody seems to want to try.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Like, if you're going to throw out examples like this, could you at least explain why you are deciding to post this idea and how it would work?

What a bizarre response.

It's Soul Calibur. You know the characters. It's Zelda. You know the gameplay. Combine them and see what happens.

Or like, if you're going to throw out posts like this, could you at least explain why you are deciding to post this question and why you don't understand?

Top Bottom