• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you don't wish to accept the new Steam Subscriber Agreement...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is why console gaming > PC gaming.
Oh boy.

As for this, I accepted the Eula and am currently living my life. Are some that bent or is it some bigger stink that some are going for? My Steam experience hasn't changed one bit. I accepted the terms and moved on.

If this is a big deal to you then don't accept the TOS and lose access to your games. It's not my stuff so you can do whatever you want.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
EXACTLY!! Thank you for proving my point. There are ways around You losing access to your games. The exact same 'way' youre referring to.
i think i can get away with it because i dont use Steam and have the physical copy. If you are DD and have no way to validate with Steam to recover backup you are still screwed.

So if you never lost access, what are you affraid of? That someday in the future that Valve will go out of business? That they will lock your accout even though they changed their policy to no longer do such a thing outside of issues of theft? Also, if you do lose access, you can find every game you purchased elsewhere and most people, even the mods here, would agree that if you paid for a game and lost access you are within your right to download said game from other means. What is there to worry about?

It's the idea that I have to accept their terms in order to play the shit I already bought. Valve has just made that very clear. What a POS company. I sure as hell will never do business with these scumbags.

ArynCrinn

Banned
It's pretty unacceptable to basically cut somebody who spent money on your platform off from their goods, often hundreds of dollars, just because of a update requirement. This ought to not happen.

Although, what would be a realistic reason not to update, besides "just not wanting to"?

In the 5 or 6 years Ive been on Steam, never once have I been unable to access my games. My playstation 3? There was a time that I couldnt go online and redownload tje games that I bought not to mention access the PSN store. Also, as we go forward into next gen, expect Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo to restrict you from many more things than they do now unless you agree to the TOS.

Did you disc based games work during the security hack, did your downloadable games work? Yes they did. Oh, I agree that MS and Sony might if consumers don't rise up and make a stink now about being locked out of content we paid for if we don't bend to any stupid rule they agree to put into their TOS.

i think i can get away with it because i dont use Steam and have the physical copy. If you are DD and have no way to validate with Steam to recover backup you are still screwed.
Have a receipt? Go download the game from the internet. And unless you have a receipt for every game you have bought on file ( i keep all of my steam purchase receipts ) there is no way you can prove that you didnt steal the retail copy.

Oh boy.

If this is a big deal to you then don't accept the TOS and lose access to your games. It's not my stuff so you can do whatever you want.

excuse-me-what-is-this.gif

It's the idea that I have to accept their terms in order to play the shit I already bought. Valve has just made that very clear. What a POS company. I sure as hell will never do business with these scumbags.

Lol. Yes you will. Dont even start. Good luck avoiding all of te Steamworks games coming out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
But Amazon has the same clause. As do many phone companies, internet providers and so on and so on. But yeah boycott Steam only.

edit: Beaten.

Nobody cares about the arbitration clause. It's Steam refusing to let you access or use the shit you bought in the event that you do disagree.

Oh boy.

As for this, I accepted the Eula and am currently living my life. Are some that bent or is it some bigger stink that some are going for? My Steam experience hasn't changed one bit. I accepted the terms and moved on.

Until they change the TOS to something you care about......

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Have a receipt? Go download the game from the internet. And unless you have a receipt for every game you have bought on file ( i keep all of my steam purchase receipts ) there is no way you can prove that you didnt steal the retail copy.
There is a key difference. i bought my games ahead of time with the intention of not using Steam. i knew ahead of time that buying and cracking Dawn of War 2 would not enable me to play multi-player. For many people this would be unacceptable. Mulitplayer only games would not have such a workaround.

bigace33

So if you never lost access, what are you affraid of? That someday in the future that Valve will go out of business? That they will lock your accout even though they changed their policy to no longer do such a thing outside of issues of theft? Also, if you do lose access, you can find every game you purchased elsewhere and most people, even the mods here, would agree that if you paid for a game and lost access you are within your right to download said game from other means. What is there to worry about?

You lose a ton of functionality with the games that way though. (Online, dlc, etc) You should not have to resort to such drastic measures. This should not even be an argument from your own position as a consumer. Valve wants to enforce a crappy tos like this, fine, it's their right. The problem is, give me the .exe to every last game I paid for from your service. We can both part ways happy. Ny them saying, you can kick rocks, "and oh by the way, we're keeping all of your games too" is pure hogwash. It's indefensible.

There is a key difference. i bought my games ahead of time with the intention of not using Steam. i knew ahead of time that buying and cracking Dawn of War 2 would not enable me to play multi-player. For many people this would be unacceptable. Mulitplayer only games would not have such a workaround.
Still not understanding your point...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Still not understanding your point...
You lose functionality of games if you crack them. Want to crack your boxed copy of Team Fortress 2 (yes i know its F2P now.. choose any Steamworks shooter in its place)? Good luck playing online. For me this isnt a concern because i tend to play single-player games. For most, cracking is an unacceptable solution.

Danny Dudekisser

You lose functionality of games if you crack them. Want to crack your boxed copy of Team Fortress 2 (yes i know its F2P now.. choose any Steamworks shooter in its place)? Good luck playing online. For me this isnt a concern because i tend to play single-player games. For most, cracking is an unacceptable solution.

It really is an unacceptable solution, especially since one's buying the game. Or a license to play the game or whatever.

Well cracking doesn't bother me for the most part either since I usually don't play multiplayer games. If I ever lost access to all of my Steam games for whatever reason, I wouldn't think twice about redownloading all of them since single player is where my enjoyment comes from. I mean, I greatly enjoy BF3 MP but I also enjoyed the SP too. If I never play a MP game again, I won't be too concerned.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why people let companies do such a thing. The response is always "well, every other company has done it". They're seeing that you don't give a damn, in the future they will do worse stuff to us consumers. All while you throw a joke here and there to sidestep the real issue.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well cracking doesn't bother me for the most part either since I usually don't play multiplayer games. If I ever lost access to all of my Steam games for whatever reason, I wouldn't think twice about redownloading all of them since single player is where my enjoyment comes from. I mean, I greatly enjoy BF3 MP but I also enjoyed the SP too. If I never play a MP game again, I won't be too concerned.
Well then.. you are prepared to become a CINO (criminal in name only) to play what you have bought. Congratulations. :)

edit: added smiley

Danny Dudekisser

I'm pretty bored this morning, so I sent an email to Steam without really doing any research first, just to see what they say. Cuz rabble rousing is fun:

Hi, my question is regarding this Steam support answer: http://i.imgur.com/YM7Hq.png.

If I understand this response correctly, if one does not agree to the new Steam terms, they will be unable to access any of the items they have bought or activated on Steam. The only solution Valve offers is to deactivate one's account, so they will similarly be unable to access any of these items. Further, they will not be offered a refund for any of these items which they are no longer allowed to access.

Does Valve intend to remedy this situation in any way? It is completely illegal to discontinue access to one's "purchases" (as they are described on the Steam store) should they not agree to the revised terms of Steam's EULA. This practice is abhorrent not only because it is more draconian than the manner in which any other digital distribution service handles it, but it violates the contract between Steam and the user in that it revokes one's license to access and use their "purchases" even if the user has not violated any of the terms of the license. I understand the reasons for the the new Steam terms and do not personally take issue with them, but the situation has highlighted a deplorable policy that needs to be addressed, as it violates both the law and consumers' trust in Valve.

Thank you for your time.

Hopefully I get an equally unresearched reply.

Teletraan1

Banned
Should we start to demand that all future PC releases are not Steamworks titles? They changed the rules of the game so I dont feel comfortable HAVING to use this service. I was already pretty down on all these DD services anyway but this kind of garbage just pushes me away even further.

When I buy a retail game I want to be able to install it using the installer provided and choose which directory to put it in and it puts an icon on my desktop. I then click that Icon and the game launches. Just like I have done for 20+ years. Why did we have to take a step back and have an application that does all that for you? So they could enforce ridiculous anti consumer restrictions and rules. No thanks.

Well then.. you are prepared to become a CINO (criminal in name only) to play what you have bought. Congratulations.

Yep. I definitely am. Though I am not too concerned that I will have to go that route anyhow, especially after Valve changed their policy to do away with locking accounts for non counterfeit type matters.

Should we start to demand that all future PC releases are not Steamworks titles? They changed the rules of the game so I dont feel comfortable HAVING to use this service. I was already pretty down on all these DD services anyway but this kind of garbage just pushes me away even further.

When I buy a retail game I want to be able to install it using the installer provided and choose which directory to put it in and it puts an icon on my desktop. I then click that Icon and the game launches. Just like I have done for 20+ years. Why did we have to take a step back and have an application that does all that for you? So they could enforce ridiculous anti consumer restrictions and rules. No thanks.

Go for it. Good luck though. There is a reason almost every publisher has gone Steamworks. Also, many of us love the fact that a game is Steamworks so while there are a population of those like yourself who don't, you're going up against publishers who love it and customers like myself (cultofgabe™) who love it too.

bigace33

What is the benefit to the consumer for walling off the ability to launch a purchased game behind server-side authentication? I'd like to hear some reasons, any reason.

This is the thing that get's me. Consumers are in here actually defending having their rights and possessions taken from them. Let me reiterate, Valve is an awesome company, and I can see myself using steam for as long as I continue to game, but this particular instance is not right. Further more, just because it does not affect you or me personally does not mean it does not matter in the grand scheme of things. If practices like this go uncontested, who knows what else may be implemented in the future. You may only have access to your games for a certain amount of hours before you have to add more money, etc. This is how things like this start.

notworksafe

Binding a retail release to ANY online service is a bad call, imo.

Dali

It's pretty unacceptable to basically cut somebody who spent money on your platform off from their goods, often hundreds of dollars, just because of a update requirement. This ought to not happen.

Although, what would be a realistic reason not to update, besides "just not wanting to"?
Isn't that reason enough? You gave money to them under one agreement and then they decide to change the deal. This time its something shitty that a lot of people can live with. What do you do when it's something you absolutely refuse to agree to? To many it's the realization that they've got you by the balls and they've got all the power and you've got to do what they want lest you get cutoff from something you spent money on and feel entitled to use. Basically what many anti dd people were saying from the beginning.

Derrick01

Banned
Costumer rights, so petty.

Do you want the right to sue that you'll likely never use, or do you want to play your games?

That's what this boils down to. Nothing changed from the times you people pretended to love steam. You never "owned" your games. So make your choice but please stop making threads about it every other day to complain about how terrible Steam is despite everyone else doing this too.

FWIW, there's a way to avoid getting the new SSA, and that's not restarting Steam and staying with the old version. Obviously that will only work for so long, so I'm trying to see if there's a way to stop Steam from self-updating altogether.

So we're not really owning our digital games? I quit gaming.

Still think that Digital Distribution should be the future of gaming now?

Well, its something all companies are going to start doing. Dont blame Valve, blame the Supreme court. Also you can 'hey hey ho ho' your
politicians into changing the law to make these kind of clauses illegal. But I think they prefer the company of AT&T to you low life commoners.

It was clear you didnt own your digital shit when they say you cant resell. Its a license at most. Same goes for music and movies.

Id love to sell, hell give away, tonnes of the crap on my steam backlog.

This. Whoever said that people owned digital copies of games are blind as bats.

Top Bottom